Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 CTS

Comments

• Saying 3.6L is not clear about 304HP DI or 265HP Standard engine. That is mainly interesting to establish a pattern, to determine if any combo of options is related to poor or expected MPG.

I feel the best way to measure MPG easily and quickly is to monitor the instant MPG display on cruise, on a Flat highway going around 60 or so. If that gets close to the 25-26 EPA, then nothing is wrong for the highway. If that MPG stinks, then something could be wrong and you will have a better argument with service.

Stuttering in acceleration also may indicate something not correct.
    Don't monitor MPG in "Sport Mode" (shifter to the right).

If the 263hp engine felt faster than yours, that is another indication of yours not running well.
  • I have a 2007 CTS. While this has never bothered me, your post reminds me that I think that happens on my 07 CTS, where the auto fan speed goes up half way on it's own after start up. Only occasionally have I felt the need for full blast, so it never bothers me.
  • Thanks for the tip on the MPG test.

Here are the specifics on my CTS

3.6L Direct Injection All-Wheel Drive V6 engine with 304 hp
    Transmission, 6-speed automatic transmission.
    Performance Collection, 18" All-Season Tire Performance Package

Yes, the 263HP RWD felt more responsive.

I will try the highway 60 MPH test and see if I get the 25-26 EPA.

thx,

-s
  • I had a 2004 CTS with the 263HP, auto, Goodyear RS-A and got 27mpg highway. I now have a 2007 CTS 263hp, with FE3 18" Summer Tire Potenza, with Limited Slip. I get 25 mpg highway. The reduction could be the tires or limited slip or just engine variance.

Some reporting normal 27ish mpg and others reporting teens, makes it sound like they have a problem or are calculating wrong or just reporting the computer avg mpg. My current 25 mpg highway often is around 15-17 around town.

If cruise or steady at 60-70 mph on flat road isn't up in the mid 20's, you might have a problem, especially considering performance doesn't feel good compared to the 263hp engine.

I have not driven the DI yet, so I can't talk about the difference in feel. I also wonder if the Michlen tires on FE2 grip well enough, as they are more of a touring tire than a perf all season.
  • Thanks for the reply.

I'd be super happy with 23-24,.....
    I'd be happy with 15/16, but 11.6 consistent seems way off.

I have 1400 miles on my CTS(AWD DI 304). Do you think I'll get better MPG as I put on more miles?

Thx,
    - S
  • Both of my 2004 + 2007 CTS did improve highway MPG by about 2 MPG after
    about 5,000 miles. I don't see any way for merely breaking in to increase around 10 mpg.

If your commute has lights and stop and go, the avg mpg means very little.
    The highway run on instant means more right now and may be your best way to convince your service there is a problem. The sluggish running also sounds like a sign something is wrong.

I am not a mechanic. I just observe my Cadillacs using the instant mpg and only monitor average for longer highway trips. I have had several Eldorados with the 300hp Northstar, that all could get 25mpg highway at long distance or using the
    instant mpg monitor at highway speeds.

A long shot wild guess is to check your oil level, in case they forgot to fill it up, although if seriously low, the car should warn you. Also make sure the tires are inflated where they should be.
  • Hey "S" Your car and mine sound identically optioned, and I too have questions regarding the gas mileage and sputtering of the engine. Mine also has an idle "flutter" when in or out of gear that will actually cause the car to rock. The dealer of course says that nothing shows up on the diagnostics and that they can't duplicate the same conditions. I'm hoping that the mileage will increase in time as I only have 3400 miles, but the stutter and idle issues are still a concern.
  • Wow, I don't know if it's good or bad to hear you're having the same problems.
    I also notice the idle flutter.

Are you getting 11/12 MPG?

My dealer also gave me a all OK, based on diagnostic computer hook up when I first brought it in.

Thx,
    -s
  • No offense, but I was kind happy to hear that someone else was having the same issues and concerns. Comfort in numbers I guess. I haven't checked my mileage in the past few weeks, but on a 500 mile highway trip I got an average of 20.5 and a mixed loop of 15. I calculate my own averages as I don't know how accurate the "DIC" really is.
  • Everything I've read suggests you can't rely on the onboard calculations. I have a 2009 Black CTS base engine but have avoided doing any mileage calculations until I hit 7500-10000 miles, which is when I hear engines usually get broken in. So for now, I just enjoy the ride, though I have developed a little rattle in the passengers side seat belt column that I'll have the dealership look at. Otherwise, ok so far.

Good luck guys.
  • Motor Trend Feb 2009 has a long term test update on their 08 CTS. No doubt it has the DI engine, but it does not say. They reported no problems and a 13,992 mile avg MPG of 17.2

I feel if the combined is 17.2, then their highway could be around 25, which matches up with the EPA estimate.

Assuming you guys with sputtering have a problem, it might not be something that reports a code, if all your service guys are doing to checking for an error code. You might have something wrong like a bad spark plug.
  • I had a 2004 CTS and a 2006 STS, both with the 3.6L V6 and thought both performed well and had good gas mileage. In October, when I went shopping for a 2009 CTS I thought I would step up to the new 3.6DI. The dealer actually gave me the the car to take home for a 24 hour test drive. I immediately noticed 2 things. First the power increase was noticeable and almost more than necessary. But, secondly, I noticed a pronounced vibration which was very noticeable when the car was stopped at a light. You could feel it in the steering wheel, the brake pedal and even the seat, and you could hear it. I looked at the rpm's to see if I could notice why the car engine seemed to be so rough. But the rpm's looked normal. My wife could even feel this roughness in the passenger seat. But, I still thought this would simply require a minor adjustment, so I returned to the dealer with the intention of buying the car. When I was there, I spoke with the general manager about my impressions of the car and mentioned the engine roughness. And, to my surprise his reply was " Yes I know all about that, I drive one myself and it does the same thing. We can't do anything about it, it's just a characteristic of that engine".
    So I left the car there and decided I would investigate this. I went on the internet and read every review I could find. Eventually I found 2 professional reviewers who loved the power of the DI but warned about roughness at idle and slow speeds. Please don't ask me for the reviews, it was 4 months ago and I don't remember.
    Ok, so no DI engine for me! I then test drove the old reliable non DI engine and loved it. The power was more than adequate and the refinement was far superior.
    As far as mileage goes, my history with Cadillac and the 3.6 V6, has taught me that initial mileage stinks, the mileage on my 2006 STS was still improving at 2 years and 25,0000 miles when I turned it back into the dealer.
    My 2009 base CTS got about 10mpg in mostly city on the first tank. The first time I took it on the highway I couldn't get it above 24 mpg. At about 1000 miles I was able to get 26-28 mpg on highway. Now at 2000 miles, I just took a 20 mile trip on I-95 at about 65-70 mph and got 29.5 mpg. Now the city mileage is nothing to write home about, maybe 15 mpg. If you look at the Instant Mileage reading you will see it plummet when you accelerate. So a steady foot will dramatically increase mileage.
    Sorry for such a long post, but other things to consider are the weight of the vehicle and the conditions you drive in. AWD adds about 200 lbs, sunroof adds 125lbs. additional options add more weight. I have the base car, doesn't even have the spare tire. Also, I live in South Florida, where the roads are flat, we are at sea level and the weather is always nice.
  • Thanks for the insight. I thought that I had also read somewhere that the 3.6DI had an inherent "design flaw" that caused the idle flutter or roughness, but can't find that blog again.
  • richw5richw5 Posts: 152
    Most cars need a break in period before the mileage normalizes. The gas mileage on my 03 CTS got better as it approached 10K miles. The same can be said for my TrailBlazer.

When my wife was driving the CTS 52 miles roundtrip to work on a daily basis, she was averaging 24 - 27 mpg. Now that she only drives 1 to 2 miles roundtrip, she averages 17 - 19 mpg. The engine barely gets to warm up and a car needs some highway miles to achieve better mileage. Trips to the mall (about 5 miles away) actually help raise her average mpg.

Give your CTS some time and don't worry.
  • bobl8bobl8 Posts: 6
    I only have approx. 2800 miles on car (2009 cts awd 265 hp engine, auto trans) so I haven't really opened her up yet. Can anyone provide realistic 0-60 mph times for me to expect in the future if I decide to "gas it up" Also, is anyone experiencing the front door stops not being strong enough to hold door open? Meanwhile I'm enjoying the hell out of the car. I forgot how much fun it is to take "the long way home." Getting approx. 17mpg around town, and approx. 26 hiway, no problems to report. Some of my past cars have included TR 3, 65 Beetle, 68 Beetle, 69 pontiac Lemans, 72 Pontiac Firebird 75 BMW 2002, 75 Cadillac Sedan de Ville 75 VW Scirocco, Dodge Omni, Mitsubishi Turbo-Eclipse, Chevy Trailblazer, Toyota Supra, Toyota Corolla, Honda Pilot. (OK, I'm not a kid) So I have a bit of car driving experience--The CTS is the best car I have ever owned!! Regards to everyone.
  • temj12temj12 Posts: 451
    I just purchased an '09 black CTS. It is the base 3.6 engine with auto trans and RWD. I have 500 miles on the car. It has a whine in first but it is quiet in the other five gears. Is anyone experiencing the same or is this a characteristic of the car? I had an '05 CTS and I don't remember having a whine in first. It is not loud but noticeable. Thanks for responding.
  • Blackcadillac - any update on your MPG? Did you see what you can get on the highway driving around 55-60 MPG?
  • joey245joey245 Posts: 9
    HI,
    I PURCHASED A NEW 2009 CTS THE END OF DECEMBER AND I POSTED A QUESTION IN REGARDS TO HOW THE CLIMATE CONTROL IS WORKING IN THE 2008 AND 2009 CTS.
    I ONLY HAD ONE RESPONSE.
    I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF YOU GUYS OR GALS WOULD ANSWER MY POST AND LET ME KNOW HOW YOUR CLIMATE CONTROL IS WORKING WHEN ON THE AUTO MODE.
    I LIVE IN SOUTH FL AND THE CAR GETS HOT WHEN IT SITS OUTSIDE. WHEN I START IT UP AND SET THE CLIMATE CONTROL AT 70 DEG.THE BLOWER WILL COME UP TO ABOUT MEDIUM SPEED FPOR A FEW MINUTES AND BEFORE THE CAR HAS COOLED DOWN,THE BLOWER SPEED SLOWS DOWN. I CAN BRING THE FAN SPEED UP MANUALLY OR LOWER THE TEMP TO 60 DEG AND THEN THE FAN SPEED COMES UP.
    I HAD THE CAR BACK TO MY DEALER FOR THREE DAYS AND HE CLAIMS THAT IS HOW THE CLI,MATE CONTROL WORKS IN THE 08 AND 09 CTS.
    HE TELLS ME HE CALLED CADILLAC TECH AND THEY ADVISED HIM IT IS WORKING PROPERLY.
    I CALLED CADILLAC CUSTOMER SUPPORT AND COMPLAINED. I HAVE HAD CARS WITH CLIMATE CONTROL SINCE 1988 INCLUDING A 2005 CTS AND WHEN THE CAR WAS HOT INSIDE AND THE TEMP WAS SET AT BETWEEN 70 AND 74 DEG, THE BLOWER WOULD COME ON FULL BLAST AND SLOWLY SLOW DOWN AS THE CAR COOLED DOWN.
    CADILLAC TECH TOLD ME TO TAKE THE CAR TO ANOTHER DEALER AND HAVE IT RE CHECKED. I HAVE NOT GOTTEN AROUND TO THAT YET,BUT I WOULD APPRECIATE HEARING IF ANY ONE ELSE IS EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM.
    THANKS
    JOEY000245
  • artmbgolfartmbgolf Posts: 57
    Customer Service has not been a good source for answers to Technical questions or even to find out if a problem is a known problem. Their favorite answer is to see your dealer.

Right now most reading this are probably in too cold of a climate to see how their climate control functions in hot weather. Since you are in FL, an idea for you is to go to a dealer on a hot day and start up some CTS there to see if they function the same way as yours. This would not be the first auto feature on any brand, where some engineer tries to improvce something and makes it worse. It does make some sense that if the gap between the desired temp and the actual temp isn't too great, that the blower would run at less than full speed, either to reduce noise, save the blower, etc.
  • temj12temj12 Posts: 451
    Someone with an '09 please refer to my previous post and tell me if you are having a whine in first. Every other gear is quiet. I just have 600 miles on the car and I want to know if this is a characteristic of the 6 speed transmission or not. Thanks.