Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 CTS

12345679»

Comments

• Just an FYI to whomever it might help. Just got my car back from the dealer after a week. Despite the VIN # not falling in the range for the TSB, the rear wheel bushings were defective and thus replaced. According to the tech, if u have the clunking in the rear of the car and/or odd handling traits, insist they check the bushings. Also the squeaking seat bottom that someone previously mentioned on here also has a TSB for installing a washer to solve the issue. There is another TSB for the Navigation screen going blank, along with numerous updates for reflashing the software to remedy issues with the radio/navigation system and clock.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    great update..thanks....will have the reflashing done at my next service
  • faultfault Posts: 1
    I'm looking for some help, I love the 2009 CTS-V, but realistically can not afford that much money. My question is; should I wait a couple more years and purchase the 2009 V after it is 4 years old, or go ahead and purchase the 2007 CTS-V? I believe the 2009 is a far superior car than the 2007; looks, technology, reliability, and 556 HP. I'm not even sure I can handle the 2009's HP, I may be better with the 400 HP. I currently drive a Lexus SC430, lots of fun, but I think I want a manual shift with some get up and go. Thanks in advance for your coaching.
  • I saw the other posts about bushings and battery cables. We just got an '09 "demo" that has the rear deck / package shelf (under the back window) rattling. It did fine for my wife part of the way home, and when we stopped off to visit her mom, I pushed open the pass-through to the trunk, didn't seem to hurt anything. After that, I had a turn driving it home, and experienced a bunch of rattling, mostly with bumps.

The noise is easily reproduced by tapping on the grill over the sub-woofer.

Has anybody seen this on their car, and known what fixed it? Thanks.
  • If you just bought it and you can easily reproduce it, then the dealer should be able to easily fix it. I have had mine for 1 1/2 years without that problem. The problem with the bushings was a thumping noise that sounded like it was emanating from the trunk. It was not a rattle.
  • timd106timd106 Posts: 3
    yeah dude i have an 06 cts (2.8l v6) and the city milage sucks big time. I barely press the gas pedal at the light and i still drink gas (i average between 15-16.5mph city). Dont try and floor it either, you will get 2mpg and watch your needle drop right before your eyes, no lie! i got this cadillac and not the corvette because i figured this would be better gas milage, april fools!!!!!!!
  • OK, 11,500 miles and I'm still at 11.5 to 12.5 MPG. ;(
    CTS09- AWD - 304HP, performance package - The Black gas hog!

I use the iPhone app Gas Cubby to track my mileage and note fill ups and MPG's. I've tried different gas stations, different octanes, etc. with no real difference. I think it's a sharp car and have had lots of complements on it.

Oh well,.... To quote Fernando "It's better to look good than to feel good", :)-
    Cadillac has been useless on this. I get a what do you expect look. ;(
    17MPG city - Not even close...

I bought the car to drive it and not fret over every mile. I've excepted it....
    My wife is looking for a new Crossover, SRX? sharp!, but the gas issue is pushing us to look elsewhere.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    I wouldnt give up on the SRX, just opt out of the DI engine....my 09 CTS is fully loaded less the DI engine and AWD....Im getting 23 city....and 28-31 highway depending on driving conditions...couldnt be happier with mileage in the greater DC area here....

I think your stop and go Boston traffic coupled with the DI and AWD are your cause........Im quite happy with the smaller engine, less HP.....but do have the FE2 suspension.....which I love......like many have said..the EPA estimate is just that and not gospel.....unfortunately it seems you are on the lower end of the spectrum....
  • Thanks for the info. Yeah, it seems like the DI and AWD are a major factor.
    I didn't think this config would have made such a difference. 200 miles per fill up. :( eeek.

I've heard others report mileage close to yours and it drives me crazy. 23 city... WOW! I'd be happy with 15 MPG. My concern was that my CTS had a problem. I'm still not sure if it is a problem. I haven't heard anybody report MPG's as low as mine. Anybody in Beantown with a CTS09 DI304 AWD? Whatcha gettin'?

Anyway, SRX? Sharp! Maybe they'll let us drive it for a week to check it out. maybe not.
    Oh well. thx
  • ctsguy2ctsguy2 Posts: 19
    Our cars sound similar (09, 3.6, AWD) and and we are in the same general area (I'm on the Cape), and I too am disappointed with the gas mileage. I've got just under 20,000 miles on mine and I don't even bother calculating the mileage around town, but have also seen as low as 200 miles on a tank. Long distance highway trips with an average speed of 70 to 75 mph, have returned in the 22 range. With a little aggressive driving, I can literally see the fuel gauge needle drop. With the quality issues my vehicle has had and the disappointing mileage I'd never buy another one, but like someone else on here said looking good driving it does come into play.
  • kplacerkplacer Posts: 94
    Last year I was car-shopping and would have bought a used 2nd-gen CTS if I could have found a nice one. I did price new '09s at the time and here in Canada a non-DI 3.6 with automatic and extra-cost paint was $47K, while it was not hard to get to $55K if you added the DI engine, sunroof and AWD. That was too rich for me.

Today one of the local GM dealers has a pair of '09s on their used lot as GM Certified used cars. The first: non-DI, RWD, only options I can see are auto trans and white diamond paint. Has 23,000 miles, black interior, asking $31K. The second, DI, AWD, sunroof, unusual blue paint I had not seen before, cashmere interior, 12,000 miles, asking $38K. Like this one a lot except for the paint color, which I am unsure about. If I had held onto my old car I probably would be driving one or the other of them today, but I cannot justify flipping my '09 Buick so soon after buying. That is a steep depreciation hit though.
  • Drove from Indy to Newark last weekend--30.7 mpg.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,180
    I posted this in the Lacrosse forum and thought I'd share it with CTS readers:

I just rented a 2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6V 304 hp all-wheel drive from Enterprise until Saturday (my 2011 CXS was violated in a parking garage.)

Wow! What a phenomenal car. Fast, smooth, nimble handling and the size is just right. I wish I had looked at the CTS before I bought the Lacrosse CXS because the ergonomics is just so much better in the Caddy than in the Buick. No visibility or blind spot problems and the arm- rest is perfect and soft touch. Front and rear visibility are panoramic and endless...not so for the Lacrosse as we all know. if the Lacrosse's blind spots were eliminated it would perhaps rival the CTS.

The CTS rental has no GPS but it has OnStar and XM radio. What impresses me most are the seats and driving dynamics. The seat hugs your body preventing lateral movement and driving in manumatic mode is as close to a manual as one can get. Unlike the Lacrosse that downshifts with the slightest easing off the gas pedal the CTS holds the desired gear until you depress the brakes.

Not sure what kind of engine is under the hood, but the rear decal says 3.6 and I think it is the 304 hp performance engine, nontheless, all I know is it uses regular gas. One obvious demerit though, the quality of the materials are just so-so. Hard plastics are everywhere and they seem to scoff easily.

In short, this is a great car at $34.99 per day. So my question is, how does Enterprise Rent a Car make money renting a $100/day car for $35?
  • I just joined and saw your question.
    I have a "09 CTS that had a rattling noise coming from the back. After I installed a spare tire kit in the car, rattle got worse. Long story short, It turned out to be the spare tire cover (on the trunk floor). So, I put a road emergency kit on top, no more noise! Apparently, it needs some weight to hold it still.
    Hope this helps.
  • I have a 2009 CTSDI that not only is very sluggish when I start on a cold start but I have another issue that can't seem to be fixed. The engine noise is very loud and the dealer has had no luck in making it more quiet. The dealer has tried numerous things with no luck. Anyone else have this problem and what did you do to correct. Thanks
  • I have been trying to fully decode my 2009 Cadillac VIN. The first thing I checked was the 8th character which I think is engine type. Mine is a "V" which I think is 3.6 DI. The other entry in the 8th digit is 7 which is something called "LY7" which I think is an engine classification.

Can anyone point me to a decoder for the VIN?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,837

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tdbmdtdbmd Posts: 20
    How is your mileage now? I have a '10 with the 3.6 DI and AWD and average between 22-23 on my commute which is about 70% highway/30% city. Easily over 25 on the highway alone.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,244
    Well, tbd, it looks like you're doing your best to bring life back to these dead CTS boards. About the only ones that are still active have to do with engine failures and transmission issues. Hope you're spared.
    It does look like that, pretty quiet around here. No problems yet, but only 16k on the odometer
    So, 27k on the clock now and still averaging about 22-23 on my daily commute which is about 70% highway. Have seen about 25 mpg on straight highway drives.