Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 CTS

Comments

• srushingsrushing Posts: 37
    Yeah, I think something's wrong too. I just completed a trip from NC to Tampa Fl and got an average of 25.1 MPG (calculated by hand) on the highway. And my 2009 still have less than 3000 miles on it, base engine.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    ask the dealership to check the timing chain...there have been some instances in the 08 model of the the timing belt/chain stretching slightly.....and causing loss of power and MPG......noted this on another cadillac forum.....it should be covered under warranty
  • richw5richw5 Posts: 152
    The EPA estimate is for average mileage under city or highway conditions.

Instant mileage is only a picture of mileage at one instant in time and should not be used in any mileage calculations. It can be manipulated too easily.

When I fill up my CTS, I zero the average mileage on the DIC and drive for at least a tankfull, before checking my average. If I'm taking a long highway trip I don't check the mileage until the entire trip is complete.

Most of the time I will go at least a month and multiple fillups before checking mileage. It gives you the true picture of your cars performance over a period of time.

As I've said before, engines need break in time before they give the best mileage. If you have under 10K miles, don't panic. Drive the car and enjoy it, you didn't buy it solely for the mileage did you?
  • OK, I plan to take the car back to the dealer.

I do have a 3.6 DI engine.

Performance?

When I first took the car back, the dealer set me up with CTS 09 263HP RWD as loaner and I noticed that it seemed more responsive (peppier).
    Besides the MPG, this is also an issue for me.

I'm basically following the dealers initial advice and adding more miles to see if any thing changes. I manually calculate my MPG after every tank of gas. It's pretty much a tank a week for me. It's great to hear what others are experiencing and thoughts on causes. This will all be helpful when I discuss my issues with the service dude in the future. Thanks all!
  • I calc my mileage manually after each tank, so that's how I'm getting my numbers.

".... you didn't buy it solely for the mileage did you?"

No, actually the CTS seemed to get good reviews and I honestly thought it was a sharp car and wanted to go American. The sticker MPG seemed reasonable, so I did even think about it. My last two were German, and never thought about MPG, because they seemed to get what was noted right out of the gate.

Oh, well I don't want to beat a dead horse, I'd be happy with MPG close to what's noted on the sticker. Thanks for your thoughts.
  • ctsguy2ctsguy2 Posts: 19
    I agree with you. I more or less bought mine for the same reasons too. I'm going to give mine time to accumulate more miles (currently 4300) and see if gas mileage improves. If not, I'm open to trading it off for something else, based on that, the several trips back to the dealer for warranty work and the incessant squeaking and creaking of various interior parts. I haev serious doubts about the cars longevity.
    non DI RWD and over 11K on mine within 6 months...not one problem....sound, quiet.....fully loaded with FE2 less AWD and DI engine......sorry to hear about your problems....my interior is solid with no creaking at all......so there are some out there that are doing grerat.....
  • temj12temj12 Posts: 450
    I was just told by a dealer that, out of 100 cars produced, 33 of them have problems. That is considered a good rating in production. It does not sound good to me. He was a Honda dealer and you know how good they are supposed to be.
    who at the dealership?...salesman, service manager....wondering where he got his "fact" from....
  • I have owned a number of cars in my life - and I've never noticed a huge change in gas mileage over time. A fraction of an MPG, maybe - but not more.

I did notice this past week that my MPG increased by 0.3 MPG - perhaps due to change gasoline (no more winter blend?).
  • 33% cars have a defect?

When - as the near the end of the assembly line or as they get on the truck to the dealer?
  • richw5richw5 Posts: 152
    The mileage gain I got (on the CTS) was at least 1 mpg as the engine "broke in", at about 10 K miles, not a time factor. The same was true of my Trailblazer. It got much better mileage as it approached 10K miles.

An engine needs a break-in period for the rings and valves to set themselves. During that period, most drivers will notice an increase in the average MPG, optimizing at 8 to 10 K miles.
    Someone in the know at the dealership. I don't know where he got the info. He just said that when a manufacturer produces 100 cars and, no more than 33 have problems, they consider that good. At that point, we were just talking about problems coming off the line with production.
    I had 1,000 miles on my CTS with the 3.6 RWD. I drove from Nashville to Detroit over the weekend. Running from 85 to 90, I got 19.8 on roads that that are hilly. Driving a consistent 80 in Ohio, which is level highway for the most part, I got 24.8.
    I just read in our local paper, The Tennessean, this morning that the government will only back the warranties for GM from March 30 forward. There was a column with questions of what if's and one of the questions was: Will the government back warranties before March 30? The answer was no. This is, of course, if GM goes bankrupt. I bought my CTS in January, therefore I assume I will have no more warranty if GM goes bankrupt. If that is true, wow what a lousy buy on my part. That should make for happy Cadillac purchasers; a way to keep goodwill toward their flagship make.
  • srushingsrushing Posts: 37
    I've heard similar things but no dates like you saw. I screwed myself a little bit too in that I bought 12/31/2008 so I can't even benefit from Obama's new tax break that lets me deduct the sales tax. And now I'll probably also not qualify for the warranty either. That does truly suck that those of us that bought before all the sanctions get left out in the cold IF GM goes under.

So what if we buy an extended warranty through a 3rd party? Would that cover it?
  • Thanks for the info.

I have not had a chance to do a long highway trip with my CTS09 AWD 3.6 DI.

My latest has been 120 miles Highway ( moderate hills), average 70MPH and then the rest city driving.

254 miles to the tank 15.7 gals = 16.2 MPG.

Oh well,.... perhaps the AWD 3.6DI combo is the real hog. ;(

It still looks cool. I will not tell my green friends... ;)

Anybody out there with my config seeing similar results?

Thanks.
  • Hi.

I'm with you. I love driving manual transmission. I received the same reply in the Boston area when I inquired about a manual trans. Same deal, one sales dude said to me no one would want one of those, right after I asked him about it. After that comment there was no chance I'd buy anything from him.

OK, I did drive a base CTS 08 manual trans and found it to be a little clunky. I really wanted to love it. I ended up getting AWD 3.6DI automatic. I play with the Sports mode sometimes(watch out 10 MPG) , but I do miss the manual trans. I will turn back to the dark side on my next car.
    good luck.
  • rvothrvoth Posts: 147
    I inquired about this to a GM rep during the recent auto show about their mpg quoted on each vehicle. He told me the figures are done on a 12 km or 7.45 mile closed course track averaging 50 mph ,with very little wind allowed during the testing.
    Each manufacture uses the same test to get their mpg on all vehicles, nobody drives at 50 mph on the hwy.
  • twain809twain809 Posts: 7
    Don't know if you are still in the market for a manual tranny, but I just got one and I love it. I, too, got the same story from dealers that you got. I emailed faq@cadillac.com and asked them to do a search for dealers who had a manual in stock. They did the research and I found a dealer, test drove it, loved it, and bought it.