Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sports and Sporty Cars of the '80s

1235»

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,587
    The washer fluid tubes are probably going to corrode and fall apart now :shades:
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,151
    And the AutoZone washer fluid will rot the hi-tech space age wiper inserts available only at select Porsche dealerships at $253.50 each and come in their own velvet-lined mahogany cases.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,576
    Rather than buy the parts at the Porsche dealer, I just had them hand-cast in gold by European artisans and air-freighted back to me---it was cheaper that way.

Have you ever held a $130 sodium-filled exhaust valve in your hand?

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,017
    When I owned a 911, I used to get Porsche after-market catalogs in the mail...

My wife was pregnant.. and, one day I was browsing a catalog.. A set of pistons for an engine rebuild was $3600!! Just the pistons... Figured if I had major engine problems, I was probably out $10K.. Pretty big dollars for a poor working man...

Son was born on Friday... by the next Saturday, the 911 went bye-bye... :cry:

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

A thorough rebuild on a 911 nowadays, by a well-qualified Porsche mechanic in California is about $12,500. But this engine should last 250K or more and will run like you won't believe.

You can use non-German parts but longevity will suffer.

Rebuilding a V-8 450SL or 560SL could top $16,000 but that's better than a Ferrari at $35,000 to $60,000 (for the newer ones)

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,017
    yeah.. those weren't factory pistons, either..

Heck, I only paid $20K for the whole car!

Ah... to be young and single, again.. ;)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• lemmerlemmer Posts: 2,676
    How much for a top end rebuild on a 911?
    Depends how far you go...if you can clean up the valves rather than replace them, that's a big savings. Also depends on which engine. On some engines, just taking the heads off without renewing the case studs is kinda risky...more like a "patch job" really. And on an OLDER Porsche, those studs can break when you twist them off for the first time in 30 years.

So maybe $2500--$5000, depending on a lot of things. You have to pull the engine and then it's one of those "while you're in there" sort of deals. Clutch? heater boxes? alternator? fan bushings? CV joints?

1235»
This discussion has been closed.