Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt

Comments

• okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    my 06 ss/sc comes with pirelli pzero rosso that are z rated. your car has a nanny set at around 100mph. most any tire you choose will operate at regular hiway speeds. it generaly is the cornering performance that you see the difference in when you go to the touring tire.
  • steve333steve333 Posts: 200
    Well, I like the car to take corners without a problem, but I dont go above 75 MPH on the Freeway (I have cheap insurance and I want it to stay that way).

I'm trying to decide between the Michelin Destiny and the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S.
    Right now the ride on the freeway sucks and the car takes bumps rough, I'm trying to get a smoother ride and get a good tire also.
    Aren't H rated tires low profile therefore would be harder on bumps?
    typically the aspect ratio determends the profile. so with that in mind the circumference of the tire is what you need to keep basically the same. a tire size change may also benefit your ride more so than speed rating. have you asked the guys over at the tires forum. :shades:
    I didnt even know there was a tire forum.
    yes it is in maintenance and repair forum. you can get great info there about price and opinions on ride quality.
    OK, I'll check it out but I really want to find out which 16 inchers are on the 2008 Cobalt LT2, because if it is a touring tire, not h rated, then it shouldnt matter as much as that guy at Discount Tire said it would.
    It matters. H rated is the way to go for the 16 inchers.
  • grosloupgrosloup Posts: 239
    I've always driven' S.U.V.'s or Vans (Blazer, Venture, Safari and now an Equinox). I'm thinking of trading the Equinox for a Cobalt Coupe next year, (less expensive, better gas mileage, smaller to drive).
    My questions are.... is it reliable and a safe car? (crash test). Is it good in snow driving? Will it be able to tow a small (open) utility trailer. (for carrying wood, furniture, snow blower) ect... without damaging the car?
    We're both in our 50's and all our children are now gone and married.

I really don't know what I should do and I need help with my decision.
  • jgrandeljgrandel Posts: 2
    Hey everyone,
    I currently own a pos 1994 Honda Accord. The thing is pretty much a project car, and I have had to replace a fan and some gaskets in the block. I have worked out a deal with my parents, and they have agreed to match what I have to buy my first car. Although I already own a car it is due to the fact that we had some issues in which I HAD to buy a car and spent all I had on this. I have found a used 07Cobalt the color I want and it has 33,000 miles on it for $10,000. I REALLY like this car and was wondering if anyone who sees this could let me know what they think of the car on ALL aspects. I just don't want another project car and by looking at some of the reviews (and by working for a fabrication shop) was wondering if this would make a nice tuner car. So yeah, any information would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone!!!
  • jgrandeljgrandel Posts: 2
    Just get in touch with a local fabrication shop. The place I work at orders parts for the customers and we instal everything. You pay for the part, shipping and handling, and then a pretty acceptable labor fee.
    I've always driven' S.U.V.'s or Vans (Blazer, Venture, Safari and now an Equinox). I'm thinking of trading the Equinox for a Cobalt Coupe next year, (less expensive, better gas mileage, smaller to drive).
    My questions are.... is it reliable and a safe car? (crash test). Is it good in snow driving? Will it be able to tow a small (open) utility trailer. (for carrying wood, furniture, snow blower) ect... without damaging the car?
    We're both in our 50's and all our children are now gone and married.

I really don't know what I should do and I need help with my decision.
    I think its a good choice but I would go with the Sedan. Drive both to see which is more comfortable for you.
    how do you like the equinox and what kinda mileage are you getting. :shades:
    I like it very much but it's kind of built cheap if I compare it with the other trucks and vans I owned (maybe it's just the way I'm seeing it). I'm getting 15 - 17 mpg city / 24 - 26 mpg highway and a bit less in winter but that's normal vehicles are always harder on gas in winter. I'm always trying to get the best gas economies out of it. Not really a lead foot, follow the speed limit and most of the time using the cruise control on highway driving (when safe to do so).
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    Believe it or not but the Cobalt is one of the hottest tuner cars on the market the last few years. Most accessory companies make a variety of parts for this car just like the Civic which basically started the 4 cylinder tuner generation. GM has a special high performance catalog where you can buy basically every part for this car including race engine blocks if you chose. Otherwise they have the engine parts for the stock engine and much more. You can also get these parts from various manufactures. The Cobalt has been the hottest car in drag racing since its release and the Ecotec engines are arguably the best 4 banger on the market and their endurance reliability through racing has proven that. Also, the Cobalt broke all the Civics Guiness Book of World records performance tests when it came out with one run if I recall besting the Civic for a naturally aspired modified engine by close to 40 mph at something like 230 mph.
    Well if you don't know already its a 5 star frontal crash test and has high marks on the side as well. I saw the side test on the news a couple years ago and the Cobalt and Corolla when both equipt with the side air bags were tops in its compact class. The Ecotec is arguably best in class now and very low maintenance with a steel timing chain instead of the common rubber belt. Also the car like many GM's now has the quiet tuning meaning better insulation throughout the car to make a quieter ride compared to some other compacts out there. Not much room in the back but most compacts are about the same.
  • This car is a mess. I have an 08 and its awful. I get bad gas milage (18 city 25 highway), the car shuts down while driving, has issues starting some days leaving me stranded, the car leaks water when its raining or experiencing wet conditions, there is no space in the front or the back, and just so much more. I'm glad some people enjoy the car but I've never been more dissatisfied in my life with a car thats has turned out to be a complete headache. I just graduated from college and before i bought the Cobalt I asked about college incentives that most dealers have and was told that GM does not have those and I was like okay I guess I was wrong. Cause I think Toyota doesn't offer the kind of incentive or Honda. A few weeks after getting stuck with the car I tried to give back 3 days later because of all of its issues and my dissatisfaction I get advertising about college deals for GM cars and trucks. Its very aggrevating. With all of its problems I have to drive over 100 miles to the original purchase dealership where I've filed a BBB complaint and a complaint with Chevy. A guy got in touch with me and lied to me and said he worked for the BBB and wanted more info about the car problems. A week goes by and I get mail from the BBB about needing info sent in and copies of reciepts for repairs I had to pay for under warranty and I tried calling and nothing and later learned that Chevy had submitted to the BBB that the claim had been resolved which in fact it hadn't been. Other than that I think the car's interior is the worst thing along with its mpg. I'm at a loss for what to do since I can't afford a lemon law lawyer since I'm a recent college graduate so I seem to have to live with missing work and important meetings while this car continues to break down and cause issues. :lemon:
  • "" Other than that I think the car's interior is the worst thing""

Seems like a lot of sour grapes. Issues like lack of interior room would have been noticed before buying the car had it been looked at in any detail.

FWIW I'll be buying another Cobalt, an 09 before the next switch over.

Dollar for dollar the 07 Cobalt LT1 I have has been one of the best new cars I've bought since the late 60s.
    Sounds like he doesn't actually own one.

I thought the same thing when the front leg room was mentioned. This car is very roomy in front compared to a lot of compacts and overall has a very good interior.
  • I'm about to buy a 2009 Cobalt LT Coupe. I've rented several with no problems at all and got roughly 28 mpg on the average in local driving. Your car is under warranty. Find a Chevy dealer near you and tell him to fix the problems. These cars are all computer controlled. The gas mileage and starting problems sound to me like a computer glitch. If the dealer fails to correct the problems then you can invoke the Lemon Law . I've never done this but I don't think that you are required to hire a lawyer. The fact that the car is small and that you didn't get a certain discount are factors that you should have considered BEFORE you bought the car. The room inside didn't shrink since your purchase. I'm sorry you don't like the car but correcting the problems is the job of the dealership since the car is under warranty.