Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry 4 Cylinder Transmission 2007+

2»

Comments

• mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    No, do not do this, unless it is for >3 minutes or so. It is actually more harmful to shift into and out of gear in an automatic.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    I wouldn't be so quick to make that statement were I you.

Since about 2000 most Toyota and Lexus transaxles do not downshift into first gear until you come to a full and complete stop. As a matter of fact there are rather strong indications that "these" cars do not downshift at all when coasting down to a stop unless you step on the gas pedal for "re-acceleration". And even then there can be as much as a 1-2 second delay in downshifting.

Be that as it may, I suspect that if one were to be able to reliably predict a full stop is upcoming then a quick shift into neutral BEFORE coming to a full stop would not only do no harm but increase FE slightly and possibly extend the life of the transaxle slightly.

Keep in mine that many of your fellow owners have learned to manually downshift the transaxle in this "like" instance so as to avoid the infamous 1-2 second "re-acceleration" downshift delay. That, in my opinion, would definitely shorten the useful life of the transaxle, but in compensation has the real potential of extending yours.
    Problem is that you have to put it back into gear when the light turns green, and that = wear. Most everything I have read says that taking an automatic into and out of gear at lights is a bad idea. What do I know, though, I have a manual tranny.
    "into and out of gear is a bad idea.."

If you allow these newer Toyota/lexus transaxles to operate normally they will upshift, or maybe just go into neutral ("A") as you coast down below 10 MPH coming to a stop, and then only shift into first once fully stopped ("B").

If you can manage to move the shifter into neutral just prior to point/time "A", and then back into gear at point/time "B", then you have caused no more "shifting" wear on the tranny than would have happened normally. And if "A" was to have been an upshift, as is most probable, you will have actually decreased the wear on the transaxle.
  • tclantontclanton Posts: 15
    Will a 2009 XLE 2540 with a build date of 6-26-2008 have the latest TSB?
    Probably, but the only way to be sure is to see the TSB, which I have not seen yet. Do a search for it on the internet. The TSB will list what models by VIN number it is applicable to.
  • santocssantocs Posts: 54
    I spoke to my dealer and he said that he would check if there was any campaign for 08 or 09 camry and said there was a campaign only for 07 camry and when i gave him details of these TSB's he said when i come for my first oil change, he would connect the car to the computer and check if there is anything wrong.
    He's wrong, it is not just for the '07. Give him the TSB #0068-08 dated 5/21/08 it is for 2007-2009 2AZ engine, and 5 AT or 5 MT transmissions. In other words, the 4 cylinders. It is titled "ECM Calibration: Enhancement to Shifting Performance, Smoothness.:

It takes 0.9 hours (really only 25 minutes).
  • sadrusadru Posts: 1
    With the recent heavy snow in BC, my new Camry did spinning of tires in the snow. The transmission is now dead and Toyota says the warranty will not cover it. It seems at the dealer there were many others with similar problems. Anyone else in this boat?
    Below quote is directly, word for word, from the 2010 RX350 factory manual set.

"The TCM determines the gear that is to be selected when the accelerator pedal is released (released completely) in accordance with the way the accelerator pedal is released (quickly or slowly) during deceleration. In this way, unnecessary upshifts are prevented during deceleration, matching the driver's intentions. In addition, unintended downshifts are prevented when accelerating the vehicle again, achieving smooth acceleration."

So, unless you can learn to abide by the above rules as to how you "manage" the accelerator pedal the 1-2 second downshift delay will remain a potential problem.
    Did you somehow disable TC..??

Else what is the dealer's basis for denying warranty coverage...??

A 2008 FWD vehicle without a TC system that will INSTANTLY activate to prevent/alleviate driven wheel spinning via braking and engine dethrottle, INSTANT engine dethrottling, has been deemed to be PATENTLY unsafe.

TC will ALWAYS prevent undue stress on the transaxle arising from the situation you describe. Either the TC system FAILED or was somehow disabled, if it failed the warranty applies.
2»
This discussion has been closed.