Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Problems with 07 Dodge Caliber SXT

Comments

• calibergirlcalibergirl Member Posts: 1
    I have been having problems with the sound that started out faint and now sounds like a low grade horn. Like the car is idling up and it get stuck.
    The dealership of course saids it's the altenator and has quoted me $627 to repair the problem. It also does some type of jerking actions. I have had my car for 4 yrs and the two people that I had to look at it also stated that it should not be doing.
  • annabanana89annabanana89 Member Posts: 1
    I bought this car in april of 2008. it was a great car, until i got to 70,000 miles. So far I have replaced to CV axels, 2 lower balls joints, a neutral safety relay swtich, 2 front tie in rods, the synoid on the transmission. Right now I am awaiting a new computer for it, which was a dealer part (just like all the other parts). this is getting to be ridiculous. I will never again by anything affiliated with dodge. my payments are over this year and its outta here. (I am going to eat about 6,000$) but its worth it.
  • tommytwotone34tommytwotone34 Member Posts: 2
    :mad: :mad: bought a dodge caliber in 2008 three years later with 71,000 miles later and my transmission is slipping. Took it to a tansmission shop and they took one look at it and already new from other cleints that also own this kind of dodge crap that it was darn ol' cvt transmision. Now the shop that i took it to was a good friend who own a very reliable transmission shop called Golden Empire Transmission and he told me some interesting facts. (1) That no transmision shop wood deal with this transmission and warranty the work due to the fact that no one makes a rebuild kit and no one will rebuild it. (2) that i could buy a used one for $1200 to $3800 used with about roughly 70 to 80 thousand miles on them with no warranty and still be facing what i am facing now.(3) Was told that these cvt transmissions have a life expectly of 100k to 130k thats it and then you need to replace.(4) He also informed me on how this transmission was created,when,and on how it works. So here we go, This transmission was designed in the 70's in chevy vega's at wich time the economy hit a low and unexpected downfall in wichtime some idiot decided to disign a cheap and economical way to build a transmission thus this piece of crap the cvt was born. Now in 2002 don't know if you remeber but nissan came out with a shiftless transmision and so on that note the cvt was re-intraduced to the general public. Thanks alot nissan if it weren't for you we wouldn't have all bought a piece of crap... and last but not least how it works ,welll ... normal transmission have rails, and on these rails are clutch packs and gears well what the cvt tranny is that it still has rails with clutch packs but instead of gears that mesh when a shift arm move the gears to align well in stead there are bands or belts some may call them, that work together instead of the gears. Thus the big problem of the cvt tranny... Because Belts have a certain life till they slip or fail and that my people is why a hate my dodge caliber.. Ohh if your wandering a new transmission for these vehicles are around $6800 from dealer who in my town will only install new, My car only bluebooks at $6400 with bad tranny. Soooo i hate to say but im getting rid of this piece and building my Bmw 525I up because its already a better car eaven if it is 16yrs old. Thank you for reading and hope i could shed some light on the piece of crap DODGE calls CALIBER. tHANK YOU,,, :mad: :mad:
  • crys2003crys2003 Member Posts: 1
    We have an original Dodge Calibur SXT with a 5-Speed. When I accelerate the engine makes a whining noise, its starting to get louder. When you let off of the accelerator the noise stops. My husband is a trained mechanic, but not on Dodge. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.
    Other than tires wearing down fast, this is my only issue with the Caliber. All I can say is it was a cheap car that we could afford at the time.
  • bubbles69bubbles69 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2007 Caliber & it currently has approx. 79000 miles on it. I have had the same problems with the ticking noise. Found out last week, when I had BOTH struts replaced, that it needs an idler, tensioner & belt. Of course the parts are about $100, but their price for doing it is $325. And I also need rear brakes, a $225 job for $40 parts...go figure. I for one am terribly dissappointed in this car & vow to NEVER buy a Dodge vehicle again!! I unfortunately have the tires for life program, which is nothing more than a fat headache because you are to have all maintenance done at the dealership or it voids the program. That would be fine IF, every time I go for an oil change it takes them 2 hours for a 15 minute job & OF COURSE, they always find something wrong that needs to be replaced at the tune of $200+/-. Love the look of the car, but the quality SUCKS!!!
  • geraldmdgeraldmd Member Posts: 1
    If you can trace the rattling noise to the right side of the engine where the serpentine belt is located, it's likely the altenator and/or the altenator decoupler pulley. I would purchase the parts myself as you can receive a "core deposit" if you send your old altenator back to the seller which could save you half the cost of the altenator. A good mechanic will suggest you change the tensioner as well as the tension (serpentine) belt also.
  • chollis3chollis3 Member Posts: 2
    I just had my 2007 Caliber SXT with a 5 speed repaired for a similar problem. It turned out to be the bearing that holds the right axle in place, but they had to replace the entire assembly as it is a sealed unit. Hope this helps.
  • jamaccjamacc Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Dodge caliber Auto Trans, The whining just started after 70,000 miles. the whining/groaning starts as the car is accelerating and not when it is not moving. Does this sound the same as what happened to yours? There is no crunching sound when turning as with a CV joint and I do know one of my struts is probably starting to leak. I did come out to find one of my tires flat with no puncture, I have no idea if this could be related or not. Did you have it repaired at a dealership or chain auto shop? If so how much did it cost to take care of this. I have ruled out transmission or any mechanical problems, so I think it is similar to your issue. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
  • chollis3chollis3 Member Posts: 2
    jamacc

Yes, this sounds very similar to what happened to me. I don't think the flat tire has anything to do with it though and your struts are another problem. I had this repaired at my local dealership, however I had an extended power-train warranty so I only paid my deductible, but I do believe that the grand total was somewhere around $500
  • thirtypack43thirtypack43 Member Posts: 1
    yes, my husband bought me a dodge caliber in 2006 brand new car remind you.i have 63000 miles on this car. i have had to have the altornato, the struts, the battery and the tire rod replace. got it out of the shop on 10/28/2011 and now it won't go any faster than 30 miles per hour.i would advise anybody do not purschase the 2007 dodge caliber sxt because they are no good. my husband payed 20,000 dollars for this car and we have not enjoyed it at all.can some one tell me what do we do . people are being cheated out of there money for a no good dodge caliber.
  • musicnote1musicnote1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2007 Dodge Caliber brand new from a dealer. I have kept everything up oil changes ect, just put new tires (4). My last oil change I was told that the ball joints need replace as soon as possible. My car has about 62,000 miles. I have no money to have this fixed, so I don't know what I am going to do. I still owe $11,000 on this car. It wasn't until I got new insurance that I found out that the car has had recalls that I never knew about them. Can the recalls still be fixed or not.
  • tammy0727tammy0727 Member Posts: 2
    I was told that it needs a special fluid exchange with a special machine and its cost a lot extra... havent gotten that far yet.
  • tammy0727tammy0727 Member Posts: 2
    I just had my car into a local dealership where I had won a free oil change. I was told that my left front lower ball joint was severe and needed replacement now. My concern is that 3000 miles ago I was at my normal service station and they didnt mention anything to me about it. I just got my snow tires on 1 month ago and alignened as well and they didnt mention anything to me about it either. I am taking it somewhere after work to get it checked out. In reading some articles, I am seeing that you cannot just replace the ball joint but you have to do the entire control arm as well.....does anyone know if this is true or can you just get away with changing out the ball joint itself??? UUUGH....Merry Christmas to me!!!
  • j_rimmerj_rimmer Member Posts: 1
    I own both a 2007 caliber R/T and a 2007 caliber SXT (along with multiple other vehicles of various makes). I have replaced the front lower control arms on both vehicles (right and left sides). The lower control arms come complete with ball joints and the bushings. Since typically the bushings wear out as well it makes good sense to replace the assemblies instead of just the ball joints (which are available on their own). Doing both sides at the same time will put your vehicle back into reasonable condition all at once and you will save by not having to do two separate wheel alignments. Your tires will no longer wearout prematurely (my experience) and you will be confident that the ball joint will not have a catastrophic failure. Check Rockauto.com for an idea of pricing. I believe they are approx. $100 per side complete. They are a simple bolt on application and anyone with some mechanical aptitude could do this. Remember to get your front end alignment checked afterwards (you could probably have the technician double check your installation while he has the car on the alignment rack.

They do wear out so I would likely err on the side of caution.

My R/T had less than 50,000 mi. when it needed replacement of the LCAs. The SXT had 90,000 mi. BUT at that time the ball joint was about to separate which would have caused loss of control of the vehicle. Hope this helps.
  • tsurnicktsurnick Member Posts: 42
    Ok, I have had my caliber since 2007 when I bought it new. It started making this winding sound when the car is running. It gets louder when I have it in drive wheather I am sitting at a stop light or driving it does not matter. Sometimes it shakes when sitting at a stop light. (it is an automatic Trans). The noise seems to be comming from the belt area. I think it might be the Alternator bearings because there has been times when the noise goes away. The reason I think it is the alternator, is that sometimes at stop lights, it seems to shake a little and the rpms seem to slow way down almost like its going to die. I looked at the Belt and it is fine but the alternator seems to have some brown dust around the vent area by the pulley.(is that normal?). I checked and the alternator is $220.oo and before I spend the money to get it fixed< i wanted to get some oppinions. It seems to run rough at times and I diddnt know if the alternator would make it run rough if its not getting the correct Voltage? or maybe the load on the engine from it being bad would make it shake like that ? Sometimes when I am at a stop light, I put it into neutral and the idle seems to even out and it seems fine except for that winding noise. (the noise kind of sounds like when a young kid puts a playing card on the wheel of a bike and rides the bike) if you understand what I am talking about.
    Any ideas would be helpful. I may try call the dealer and see how much they would charge to tell me what is wrong with it.
    On another note, I took it to advance auto parts and they put the code reader on it and nothing came up on the reader, which is good but That doesnt help me figure out what is wrong with it.

Please help....
  • srrdalysrrdaly Member Posts: 2
    I met a guy who said he worked at the plant in Micigan where the Caliper was built. He stated that "Dodge was aware of the Mitsibihi engine and other front end items to be over weight for the tie rods, suspension and other related parts. Efforts were made to decrease the overall weight but from reading all the complaints and I myself experiencing same front end problems they apparently fudged on making a necessary adjustment. I bought my SXT in 2007 having 17,000 miles on it for 13,000! I still owe 2 yrs payments and recently had a problem. Cruise shut down, car jerked foreward, and acceleration dropped from 65 to 50?? solution; lender repossion,do homeworkstart over before I become a Dodge sucker!
  • srrdalysrrdaly Member Posts: 2
    When I first bought my SXT I thought what a gret car! I met a guy who said he was a line supervisor at the Michigan plant. He talked up the motor and transmission but did state the front end parts, engine etc. specked out over weight on the designed parts like tie rods, ball joints, etc. He said some redesign plans were approached to reduce weight on those parts but apparently they fudged on quality and seen an opportunity to capitalize ?? I bought mine with 17,000 miles on it, dealer used, and when I had problems it was still under warrenty. This was a left tie rod. After the warrenty expired the right ball joint went and now I am experiencing another problem. The check engine lite came on and wife said the cruise control shut off. I filled all fluids as recommended and thought perhaps a catilytis convertor was the probem since nothing else was happening. The next morning when my wife was coming home the car made some jerking and speed dropped from 65 to 50 and though she tried to accelorate it would not increase speed. A mystery for sure. After reading the many complaints and the potential costs down the road I realize getting rid of this lemon is my best bet. However, I cannot in good conscius sell it knowing I would be doing what the manufactor has done. Since I still owe my lender 2+ more years at 270.00 a month I am going to show them all these complaints and let them repossess the car. Perhaps a consummer crusade can develope and where Dodge as well as others will begin producing automobiles with real quality! Worried about your credit score? thats what they hope you will do!! NO FEAR HERE!!
  • caliber3caliber3 Member Posts: 2
    Is this a third world forum? Caliper? Really? And no, the lower control arms are non serviceable. Tell us more about the repo on the car and how you think they care about how bad the car is. You all sound retarded.OMG!
  • highwaysurfinghighwaysurfing Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm having the same problem as you are. Did you find where the water was coming in at??? I've had up to 4 inches in the rear passenger right side . If you found an anwser to this problem would love to hear from you. thank you, Tim Potter
  • momof3catsmomof3cats Member Posts: 3
    Hi, yes I found were my water was coming in. First off I had leaves and junk down from were they land on the windshield and go down the side. On my passenger side door in the front there are some screws. Open the door and going up by the front wheel is were the screws are. Because the driver side was plugged with leaves the water flowed to the passenger side. First we cleaned out the leaves then my father put some kind of water sealent over the screws and put heavy duty tape over that. No more water. Hope this helps. Theresa
  • ekr032ekr032 Member Posts: 1
    Bought my caliber in July 2011, it was an 07 SXT. When test drove it was 100 degrees outside, never tried heater, found out heater core was needed to be replaced. Found a guy to do it cheap. It works fine. The used car lot I bought it from wouldn't touch the car, said see if it still has its original warranty, which it doesn't. Well then the first freeze came, the car started, let it warm up, the check engine light and Electronic Throttle Control Indicator Light came on. Turned off the car, wouldn't restart. Towed it to Walmart for new battery, since it was soo badly corroded that the terminals broke. Now the check engine light doesn't go off unless it is above 50 degrees. Everything was fine until I was headed to work at 4am. Got to an intersection, stopped at light, it changed, went to accelerate, nothing. No rpm, nothing. Brake pedal has pressure on it, like it was jammed in or something. Let the car sit for half an hour, froze my [non-permissible content removed] off, it restarted. Couldn't go above 30mph without it kicking. Anyone have an idea? If not I am getting rid of this POS!!!
  • gary7878gary7878 Member Posts: 1
    let me tell u something i gave very good hard working money for my car n three day my car is falling apart i own my own business n town it from battery light coming on and staying on to the check eng.light staying on and now the car has a loud winding noise coming from it took it to auto zone today put the tester on it all looks good they say so now my car is n the shop and i dont even know what is wrong with it.i think it is a piece of junk and i owe 17,000 on it
  • corodcorod Member Posts: 1
    i had the same problem on my 09 sxt caliber. my problem was indeed the alt., turns out the fan blade inside the alt was breaking and rattling around inside of it. i got the alt replaced and after one week i was driving and the car just shut down on me. i got the car to start drove home took out the alt and unfortunately the same thing that happened to my first alt just happened to my new alt. im in the process of trying to bypass my compressor which i think is at the root of my problem..
  • tayctayc Member Posts: 1
    I have an '07 Calibur that I purchased new in '06. I haven't had really that many problems with it. We replaced the alternator a couple of years ago and one of the headlights went out and we had problems getting the new one to work so we just hot wired the left light to the right one so the high and low beams would work. We have about 110,000 miles on it and it is still in good shape. But now it is shaking when we stop at a light. If I put it in neutral it stops shaking. I thought it might be something to do with the tranny but my tranny guy says it is something to do with the motor. He suggested checking the motor mounts (they are all fine), and we started thinking that it might be a pully arm tensioner or something. Anyone having the same problems?
    BTW: I dont want to hear all the bitching, just looking for some intellegent input. Any suggestions?
  • lovedmykialovedmykia Member Posts: 1
    ...going over rocks...

We had a local mechanic take a listen and he said it may just be one of the three pulleys. So 100$ later, we replaced all three pulleys and belt to no avail. Same noise and it's loud and constant. Called the dealership and checked for recalls and nothing. Looks like it's a new alternator for me and 400$ for the mechanics :( Hopefully this will fix the problem. I still owe 7000$ on the car and in reality, I want to drive it into a lake.
  • msgreeneyesmsgreeneyes Member Posts: 1
    My Dodge Caliber is currently in the shop for the alternator. It begin to whine, just as you've stated in your complaint. The car has 74,000 miles on it. It does much more than whine, it almost sounds as if the engine has a serious knock when running. Has only gotten worse. Literally just took to dealership yesterday.
    My car also has the crunching or popping noise when turning..has since I bought it. It almost feels as if I'm going to lose control of the vehicle when making a turn quickly. NO one has been able to diagnose the popping noise at this point.
  • mik_yelnatsmik_yelnats Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 caliber was hesitating around 25 mph and 45 mph, sort of jerking. I looked in the owners manual and saw that the plugs should have been replaced at 30,000. This was bolded in the book, which meant it was a must, not a maybe. Well, my car was at 66,000 and as an original owner, I knew I'd never had the plugs replaced. So, I dropped it off, and asked them to check, and sure enough, the plugs were bad. They hadn't noticed when I dropped it off for inspection 2 months ago, though the recommended other non-critical things. So, check the plugs. They are supposed to be changed every 30,000 miles. If you haven't had them changed, it may be the source of your problem.
  • mjjohnmjjohn Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I am currently having the same issues. Could you please tell me if the alternator fixed the noise? Thank you very much and greatly appreciate it.
  • sarabjit1973sarabjit1973 Member Posts: 1
    i am having problems with it starting up got new battery. starts up 1 day but not next day and never 2 days in a roll,jump starts fine every time dont know what to do next
  • chryslergroupchryslergroup Member Posts: 35
    Hi sarabjit1973,

Sorry to hear you are having a concern with your 2006 Dodge Caliber.

I checked for Technical Service Bulletins but could not find anything related to the concern you described. You may want to consider having the vehicle diagnosed by your local authorized Dodge Service Department or a trusted mechanic.

Lisa
    Customer Care
    Chrysler Group LLC
  • breirvbreirv Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber. It now has 204,000 miles on it. It has been a great little car and obviously I have driven the wheels off it. Reading these posts makes me smile. I've been thru so many of the same things. I drive 54 miles to and then from work.

The crunching, popping noise.. replace the ball joints. Get the ones that come all together and change everything at once! We tried pressing them in, but that didn't last long. Been great since.

Had to hot wire left head light to right head light and never did figure that out except one mechanic told me he thought a small part of a "card" was burnt out that controlled the headlights. So we ran a wire... works fine.

At 120,00 had to replace the alternator... but the first one we bought at the parts store only lasted a few days. This past summer at 180,00 miles we had to put in the THIRD air conditioning compressor, the first to were factory problems. Something about not having enough liquid or pressure in them to begin with. Changed 3 in two weeks. Our mechanic was very frustrated... but it wasn't the car's fault! After market parts.

Now the switch that controls the direction the heat/air blows isn't working. Anyone have any issues with that?
  • matthew_brad30matthew_brad30 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone ever Bypassed the Ac and the smog pullies. Both? My ac pully is going out, and now my smog pully is going out. I want to just bypass them both. Is this a logical decision? :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
  • grits2009grits2009 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have had to replace the alternator. Replaced front right ball joint and control arm. Still not right. Took it into Chrysler today to have it checked out... They told me the rear ball joints need replaced tie rods, sway bar and more.

Really rear ball joints?

Oh as as for the blower... yeah I have issues with it too. The "fan" works on all positions but one. It works but not like it should. Also when I change from or to defrost it wants to kick back up off defrost. I usually just hold it until it takes hold. Also the speakers are gone. I think there might be one or two that still work barely.

I have hated this car ever since I got it. Only reason why I got it is because I needed something ASAP.

Any one out there have an issue with ALL the blind spots? I have counted 6 of them.
  • dee108dee108 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a used Dodge Caliber at 55000 kms. Ran great till I hit around 120,000. Currrently sitting around 208,000. I have had to replace front struts. Now I need to replace ti rods and ball joints. The other day my check engine light popped on. After taking a look under the hood, the downstream o2 sensor is in two pieces! The plug on the wire harness end is missing completely!! As well as the plug on the sensor itself. Also have a newly added ticking/knocking noise coming from the passanger side of the motor! Maybe the top end? The car is running horrible!! Stalling at lights, etc. Idling anywhere between 500-1000 rpms. No idea what this could be??? Anyone have any ideas?? Soo frustrated!! :cry: Any input would be great!!!
  • jamaccjamacc Member Posts: 2
    My Caliber is about 80k miles now. At 60k I had the ticking noise, it ended up being the alternator,; the belt was pulling the alternator apart I should say causing the metal to clang and make the ticking sound. I have had my mechanic for 8 years and 3 cars so I have faith in his judgement. He said that the alternator issue is fairly common with the caliber. He also said just about everyone at one time or another will replace the struts, joints and even the ties because the body is too heavy for the chassis and owners start see problems around 50 to 60 k miles with these cars. I have not had the O2 sensor issue yet. I wish I would have done my research, Apparently Dodge is replacing the Caliber with the Dart even though the Caliber is one of its best selling cars so these issues must be very common!
  • dee108dee108 Member Posts: 2
    I agree, I wish I done my research as well. I'm going to check the alternator out, but not sure that will cause the stalling, low idle, and rough sounding motor... Guess that will be the next thing to have to figure out. Really beginning to think of a trade in.... :( Any one have the rough ride, staling problem??
  • stanton_7346stanton_7346 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 07' caliber in 06'. I have over 200,000 miles on it (I use to like to drive). I've replaced the Throttle Control and I've had to replace the alternator twice (the first one, an after market, was defective). Now I'm having the whinning sound again and seems as if the car is struggling at times uphill. When I reach 60mph, it starts to shake (maybe balancing and rotating the tires will cure that). I've changed the oil and the spark plugs. I have new hoses. I just noticed today that the engine is ticking. If anyone is having this problem or has had this problem, if you have any suggestions I'm more than willing to listen. I'm putting her in the shop today or tomorrow. I love my car and I haven't had any major repairs other than the Throttle Control (all other repairs I've bought the certified Dodge parts online and had a mechanic install). Thanks for listening
  • brittneybagleybrittneybagley Member Posts: 1
    Hello! I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber and was having a similar problem. It wouldn't start and wouldn't even turn over when I tried the key. One minute it would work and then it wouldn't and then it would again. We thought it was the battery at first but that was completely fine. Then we thought it was the starter but that turned out fine as well. Turned out it was actually the key. Apparently the chip in the key went out and wasn't registering every time I cranked it. I've been using my spare key since and it's working just fine. If you don't have a spare, take it to a dealer and have them fix the key. Hope that helps!
  • shannon_steelshannon_steel Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    Hello,
    I'm having a repeated problem with my check engine light. It's been on since I've owned the car (6 years). In order to pass a smog check in the state of California, my check engine light can not be on, and I do not feel like paying someone illegally to pass it. The "mystery code" is P161b. I have been told by the dealer that this is not a valid code, but it is... It showed up on the diagnostic. It is also a code that will not clear! Please help! Does anyone know what this could be? Maybe there's a secret sequence of buttons to push to clear the code? I'm desperate! Thanks!

The problems my caliber has are: the passenger air bag light is on (below the air conditioning controls) and the airbag light on the dash is on. It also has a hard time starting sometimes and when it does that, when I accelerate, it jerks and does not move above 1 mph fully gassed. I turn it off and let it rest for a minute and then it's fine. Also, sometimes when I'm at a light and I accelerate, it lacks the power to go, so I gun it and blow out whatever is in the engine, then it seems to work fine.

Thanks again for any advice you may have!
  • crazystang70crazystang70 Member Posts: 1
    You mentioned you had the problem fixed at the dealer but you didn't say what the problem was. Can specify because
    I am having the same issue. Thanks.
  • dcxcorcorandcxcorcoran Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys, Ive had my 2007 dodge for nearly a year now, bought it second hand with 15k miles on the clock so it was still not even run in. Ive just hit 22k miles in it and the engine management light has appeared, and when my mechanic plugged in the diagnostic computer it came up with two codes relating to the EGR valve. So after both parts of the EGR valve where replaced and the codes wiped they appeared with the same fault again. The codes are as follows-
    Po487 EGR throttle control open circuit A
    Po488 EGR throttle control range/Performance A circuit

Has anyone else experienced this and if you have whats the magic trick to cure it?
    Many thanks
  • andiemelandiemel Member Posts: 1
    My check engine light and gascap light have intermittently been coming on for 2 years. I changed the gascap since it was the easy thing to do. That didnt do it. Eventually the cruise control stopped working so I just took it to Dodge. The guy said some part (transmission or engine maybe?) has a leaky valve causing the check engine light to come on and consequently the cruise control shuts off due to that. The estimate was $285 to fix. It is currently being fixed at this very moment so don't know if that is absolutely ALL that has to be done.
  • ricdog213ricdog213 Member Posts: 2
    Ive replaced my alternator several times they don't seen to last. The alternator will trick you into that there is a noise coming from the engine, it was the alternator. Easy to replace. i bought a new alternator from auto zone for $180 and did the repair my self. I've had the throttle body replaced due to poor idle (@ 70k miles) I've also had to replace all my motor mounts. The motor mount caused a random clicking or ticking thought it was engine to, it was the motor mounts. They were hard to see due to poor lighting but look up close and you will see cracks around the rubber. My cruise control switch was replaced because it was cutting out. Oh and now my check engine light comes on then turns off randomly about every 130 -180 miles. Still trying to figure that one out.
  • michelleb0382michelleb0382 Member Posts: 2
    Hi there,

So I am having the altenator issue and am able to do the work myself but my issue is, Im not exactly sure where the altenator is? Can you please assist me on this by letting me know where it is?
  • michelleb0382michelleb0382 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber that I personally LOVE and haven't had any problems with until recently. So through reading all of your post, have discovered that I have the alternator issue. No problem I will fix that but the other issue I have is at 1 1/2 to 2 rpm's my car is revving and seemingly having a problem shifting gears or something!??? I am not sure how else to explain the issue but if anyone has experience this problem and if so what was it and how did you get it fixed???

Please help! I am a single mom with barely enough income to survive... I can not afford to lose the only car I have!!!???

Thank you all in advance!
  • yolady101yolady101 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I was just wondering would you recommend me this car? It would be my first car. It seems that you are having a lot of issues with it. This is what Ive heard too but overall it seems like a great car it has a small engine and a lot of trunk spare which is perfect for me. I would be buying it used
  • latin_40latin_40 Member Posts: 1
    i Michelle: I own a 2007 Caliber, that sound or vibrating you feel is the motor that jump when shifting, you fix this problem replacing "motor mount" and maybe the "transmission mount or support" too. I feel that vibrating when my park is on drive shift but waiting in a red light, i would need to shift to neutral so the vibrating and sound disappear.

Also i don't know what is your alternator problem, but my battery light turn on some months ago, i went to the dealer and it was a "software upgrade" of the car computer and the light went off, so it wasn't a alternator problem even looks like it.
  • cataocatao Member Posts: 1
    My dodge caliber just started to wine a little but I have noisy rear brakes and was told by dealer it was also a problem with the calibers and the 2007s also leak into the left rear light. And was told not a warranty issue. But I would also be in on a class action. If dodge knows about these problems we all should be reimbursed a part of what we paid for and the aggravation
  • colinrowecolinrowe Member Posts: 1
    uk dodge sxt sport 2ltr diesel 66,000 now i have black smoke on accelerating and while driving at various speeds the engine tends to pull back. Any ideas or help many thanks...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited March 2016
    I'd guess dirty injectors. Put a good dose of a strong, serious diesel injector cleaner in there, and if it's time for a fuel filter change, or close to it, do that too. A large percentage of all diesel running problems are related to contaminated fuel/dirty fuel.