Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Envoy instrument panel problems

Comments

• I have a 2003 Envoy and my speedometer vibrates and sticks all the time now. If I turn off the engine and turn it back on the speedometer resets but sticks after 5-10 minutes of driving. I have seen many posts regarding the same issue and I am not going to pay $500-700 for repairs. Could there be anything that GM would offer me or any suggestions that others may have that could potentially fix this issue?
  • sbaynesbayne Posts: 3
    edited October 2011
    Several places will repair your cluster for about $100---here is one

http://www.autoxpresstech.com/index.php?p=1_14_Chevy-GMC-Cluster-Repair
  • After reading all of this, makes me wish I didnt buy another GM. We owned a Suburban for many years, and put a ton of money in for repairs. We now own a 2006 Envoy Denali and are now seeing the same prob's as everyone else I see.
    I only wanted to see if I can troubleshoot the fuel gauge problem, and now see that this is a huge probelm with these vehicles. Now that I too am over 120,000 it looks as though we are screwed once again by GM!
    We also are now experiencing the same idle prob's as all these I am reading. Looks like I better trade this thing in before I end up coughing up Thousands of dollars for something GM knew about and tells no one!
    As I explained to my wife, I want very much to support the American car companies, but this is BS...again, and again, the same old issues...
    Before I do this however, I have good Cousel I will talk to. GM obviously knew this issue was there, yet says or does nothing.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,100
    sonnyaz,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me your VIN and contact information? I look forward to hearing from you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Christina, I appreciate your response and sorry it took so long for my reply. I am just a little frustrated...We love our truck (SUV), but the last thing I need is prob's....

Anyway, I do not have your email to send you the info you requested. Please let me know what that might be.
  • Gm wont do anything except charge you $100 for diagnostics and $500 for repair. I had mine repaired for $180 and it was back on my truck in a week. Its easy to take out and put back in, email me for the companies info.
  • I too received the letter from GM about paying for 1/2 of the charge, the problem is the only light that stays on is the " check engine soon" not the "low fuel" that is listed in this letter. I took it to a mechanic before I knew of the letter and he knew about this problem, from his buddies at GM and said it would be around $ 600.00 at least, I have already paid $ 500.00 for a new odometer. I can't believe they acknowledged the problem, but are only willing to pay half ! My next vehicle will not be a GM that's for sure !
    sonnyaz,
    Just click on my user name and my email is listed. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • I have had the same problem for years with my 2005 Envoy. The instrument lights blink in and out. There have even been times when the headlights blink for no known reason. Scary stuff!
  • The instrument lights blink in and out on my 2005 Envoy. There have even been times when the headlights blink for no known reason. Scary stuff!
    And now the problems with the gas gauge and check engine light. My husband was laid off from his job and we can't even afford the 1/2 that GM is offering to fix the thing.
    I also have a 1994 GMC HD3500 that has a known issue with the glow plugs.... Going back to Ford next time we buy a vehicle!
  • I have been on this post since 2006. yep i still have the piece of junk,,, my headlight/dash lights started the electrical thing a couple of years ago, have taken it in several times, geez' they can't find anything wrong, nor (of course) will it happen when someone is with me or you want it to....
  • They can't find anything wrong? Seriously!? That is such nonsense when there are LOTS of vehicles having the same problem. :mad:
    I am sorry to hear about your concern. Have you spoke with customer assistance? I would recommend contacting Christina by email for further assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
    mmnorlock,

I apologize for the problems with your vehicle. We would be happy to assist in setting up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process we will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership sent to me in an email addressed to Christina. Also, could you please provide a description of the problems you are experiencing?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    I am sorry to hear about your concern, We would like to look into this for you. In order to do further research we will need your name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage, and dealer name sent to Christina by email. Thank you in advance and we look forward to hearing from you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  • I am like so many others here! Fed up! NEVER, EVER will I buy another GM product. I will go back to the Toyota! I bought my Envoy new also. At about 70k the fuel gauge issue came up. I tried to hold out for a recall, wrote letters to GM etc. After leaving me side of a busy interstate with my 3 month old grandson in the back seat, I got it fixed. I took it to the dealer only to find out it could cost almost a grand to fix it. Instead I took it to a private garage. The gas gauge and the check engine light stayed on. He told me he had fixed MANY GM products with the same problem. The check engine light came back on to stay shortly after that repair which costs around 500 bucks. Then the truck began almost shutting off in traffic. Took it to the local Toyota dealership who has a mechanic trained with GM (they used to be the GM dealer. The mechanic stated it needed a WATER pump. This was a pretty expensive repair. He said this was the reason the check engine light was on. Drove it for about 25 miles and the check engine light came back on! Then this summer the AC fan would quit off and on. We had a problem with the fan coming on when the truck was new and under warranty. Of course they never could find a problem at the GM dealer with it!! We made it through the summer with out having that repaired. My husband has been diagnosed with cancer so our resources are stretched to put it mildly! Now that the cooler weather is here and we are using the heat a bit, the darn fan motor WILL NOT go OFF, even when the truck is switched OFF. We had to replace a battery recently that was only a year old... so now we know it was probably due to this fan staying on! My husband just jumped it off but the fan will not go off so it will be dead again. I have the rag paid for now, though little good it does me! It only has like 103k miles on it. Guess it is a throw away car at 100k miles!!!

Has anyone else had these fan issues??? I am lost as to what to do now! I can't sell it like this and if I trade it , I won't get squat for it! I really can't afford a car payment now anyway. Guess I will buy me a few mules to hitch it to!!
  • pocketpocket Posts: 29
    GMC did do a recall on the instrument panel. However it is mileage related I am pretty sure that they will fix your vehicle on a 50/50 basis, however do not hold me to this. In this forum you can get an e-mail address for gm customer service by clicking on their name. They will want you to take it to a GM certified mechanic to have it properly diagnosed which will cost you between $60-$150 depending on the dealer. Then they will send you an e-mail saying that they are sorry for the problems you are having, and offer to open up a case number for you if you will send them the mileage, the serial number and a some more information. All of this is just more lip service from GM. You can do what I did, and that is paint a big LEMON on the side of the truck and then in letters say THANK YOU for bailing out GM. I have been a loyal GM owner for over 40 years, and I am done with them. As soon as I can I am getting rid of both of my GM P's.O.S. and either going to Ford, or Toyota. Good luck. Do yourself a favor, and read some of the past posts on here, and you will see you are not alone. Then send a complaint to the ntsb at safercar.gov. Maybe we can either get GM to admit to their problem and help us out, or at least start an investigation into their production practices. Either way if you need further information, and I can help, Post a message in here, and I will get back to you. I am monitoring this site, and saving ALL e-mails about this subject to send to a legal dept. Hopefully they will see fit to force GM to do the right thing. :lemon:
  • Thanks ! I am in agreement with you. I did send GM a letter early on about the fuel gauge. I took it in to my local dealer when it quit working and he told me to diagnose it would cost about what you said plus of course parts and labor.. I will send in a complaint to the ntsb safercar.gov as you suggest. I believe in writing letters. I HATE to take this laying down. This truck costs over 30 K new after negotiations!! What a rip off! The truck has a good ride though I always wondered what degree the engineer had that put the cup holder in a place it can not be accessed when it goes in park!! My husband said we need to sell it and see what we can get for it..but honestly..I can't do that to anyone. Not a friend or a stranger! I know I would not get anything for it in trade..cause smart people KNOW that all the dealer ever does it take your car and mark up the price of what you are buying. Yet the transmission is making funny noises now when it changes (or something is) the motor vibrates when it is idling, it idles rough most of the time... just don't know. I had all the goodies on it when I bought it. I thought it was my dream vehicle but it has turned out to be a nightmare instead!! Thanks for the sympathy and empathy though!! We got to stick together!
    Amen to that. We do need to stick together. I refuse to unload this P.O.S. on anyone. I will run it until it falls apart, and then replace it. If it were in my power to do so, GM would be out of business tomorrow. But since it is not, I will do the next best thing, and warn my friends and family of the perils of buying a GM product. My sympathy and prayers are with you and your family as you go through the hardships that I can only imagine. God bless, and remember if I can be of assistance, let me know.
  • alihsalihs Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 GMC Envoy XUV and of course have the same problems as yall. My instrument panel went out and the dealership wants to charge $150 just to tell me it doesnt work...they also said that no one can fix it but them bc they have to put in some codes

About 3yrs ago my tailgate window stopped working at that time I was under warranty so they fixed it...well it went out again last year and I had to pay $400 to get it fixed..well guess what...the tailgate doesnt work now and they want to charge me $150 just to look at it and also told me that the warranty for that fix is up so I will have to pay to get it fixed

Now my driver window doesnt work...THIS WAS THE WORST PURCHASE I EVER MADE IN MY LIFE and GMC doesnt want to do anything about it
  • alihsalihs Posts: 5
    edited January 2008
    Oh and to fix my panel will be over $500!!!
    alihs,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me with your VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and complete contact information? I look forward to your response. Thank you for taking the time to post your experience and giving me to opportunity to work with you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    ahlis,
    Look back in the prior posts, you will find several references to people who can fix these panels, for around $200.00. Now I am not a GM mechanic, but from what I do know about electronics, you would not have to enter any codes for the panel to work, as they will only replace the stepper motors that drive the gauges. However if you replace the entire module, they would have to enter the codes for the new module to work with your computer onboard your envoy. For a difference of $300. I would seriously consider pulling the dashboard module yourself, and sending it in to one of these aforementioned people, and having it repaired. The module is not hard to pull, and is thoroughly explained in the Hayne's manual that is available at your local parts store for around $25.00. If this sounds like I have a personal agends, you are right. I am out to cost GM as much money as I can until they own up to their mistakes and do the right thing, and issue a full recall on these vehicles. If I can help any further, I monitor this sight, and am saving all correspondence on this issue. Just post a message in this forum to me, and I will respond. I am honest, and if I do not know the answer, I will tell you so. There is no BS here. Hopefully we can all band together and force GM to do the right thing. I drive 2 GM :lemon: 's and will not buy another one when these 2 are gone.
  • Bad dash bad car bad company bailout sure taxpayers dollars bad dash we live with recall is stupid no cut off at 70000 bad dash should get fixed free
  • 500 bucks yea cadilac battery from dealer only can gm rip us off any more just ask em!
    I’m sorry that your Envoy hasn’t been a satisfactory vehicle for you, and that during other family circumstances you’ve had the added stress of vehicle concerns. If you would like Customer Assistance, please email Christina here with your VIN, involved dealership, and contact information and we’ll do the best we can!

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I am also having this problem, I have check all the connections to sensors as well as all the fuses and they're all fine. I just don't have the money to take it to a dealer either, specially if only the diagnosis is $100+
  • Does anyone that's had this problem with the dash panel had the windows not work and the vehicle not start? Or is this another problem altogether? A friend of mine has an 06 Envoy and all the dash lights come on and the windows don't work and it may start and it may not. Five days ago the dealer replaced the ignition switch and just tonight it is acting up again. They are about ready to trade this pile of junk off.
  • I have a 2004 Envoy. In the beginning of Sept my boyfriend hasD the truck for a trip to NC, he noticed that they temp gauge was spiked all the way to 260. Him mad his buddies checked everything out and the car was not over heating. This was on a Sunday, the guage finally dropped back to 0 on Weds of that week. The following Sunday he was driving home from NC and it spiked again, it has not seen 0 since then. The guage has now completely Gina all thewaynaround and is back at the beginning where it should be.... Today I noticed that the battery guage is now spiked. The gas light only comes on when it feels like it and the panel doesn't chime when I open the door with the key in the ignition.

Don't really want to spend 700-1000 to get it fixed but I a guessing from this thread that I am going to have to do it....
    Mlecumberri,

We can check into any recall information available on your vehicle. Email us through the email available on our profile with your name and the last 8 digits of your VIN and we’ll look into that further.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service