Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Envoy instrument panel problems

Comments

• magnastymagnasty Posts: 26
    Thanks for the offer, but it is too late. After 26+ years of GM ownership, the problems with the Envoy and GM's apathetic attitude did me in and I dumped it for a BMW.
  • How do I get your email?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,153
    Click on the member name in any post. If the member doesn't mind other members contacting them, the email will be marked public in the profile.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• tiffanyntiffanyn Posts: 8
    Hi Christina,

I sent you an email yesterday with the details of the issues I am experiencing. Will you please confirm that you received my email?

Thank you,

Tiffany Norene
  • frankie62frankie62 Posts: 21
    What is the stepper motor you installed ?? do you have to pull the dash off to do this ???..
  • Not the person you requested info. from but you (and several others may find this useful). My solution is different. There is a company in N. Dakota that will fix your instrument panel (or temperature controller) for $169 ($189 to analyze all gauges and not just the ones currently messed up). Their website: http://www.mrwhizard.com/index.cfm. My panel is on its way there as I write this. Turnaround is 9-11 business days (check the website, it may be less for your area). Panel removal is simple and only requires a philips #2 screwdriver and a 9/32 socket or nut driver. I have created a Powerpoint with directions and photos (it will be available through Mr. Whizard shortly-I just sent it to them today). If you want it before then, give me your email address and I will forward it to you (bad news is that it's a 9 meg file)-sorry, not willing to display mine (to much junk mail!). My reasons for sending the panel off: they have a 2 year guarantee (5 years for some extra $), it's not GM (which I don't know if they have fixed the problems with the panel), it's at least $300 cheaper than a new panel, and the option to buy one from a salvage yard won't necessarily fix your problem. Most of us need to use our vehicles, so you'll be glad to know that you can still drive it while the panel is being repaired (as long as you have a GPS with speed readout). You will also want to make sure you keep a full tank of gas! Chances are most gauges aren't working anyway, or you wouldn't need the thing repaired! Another issue for those of you that have repaired your panel and the gas gauge still doesn't work and the OBD code says it's your sending unit, these are normally in the fuel tank. I suggest getting it repaired from a technician you trust or if GM will honor their warranty, you can have them do it. I will put out a new post when I get my panel back and let you know how it turned out.
  • I have the exact same problem. I had contacted GM cust service via email and they did set up a case for me. When GM called me back this morning, she said based on my milage she could not help me with the "special coverage" that other people are getting their vehicle fixed on. Obviously with many GM owners experiencing the identical problem, there is a design flaw. I'm going to report my problems to the NTSB at safercar.gov and the Better Business Bureau and whoever else will listen.
    I got the same run around from GMC's customer support. I'm the original owner of '03 GMC Envoy with 112K. You would think since most owners are the original buyers of the vehicles they would at least pay for 1/2 the cost to replace the instrument panel. Average cost is approx $700.00 is what I've heard. I have 2 other GM vehicles (Pontiacs) and I hope I don't start having probs with them too. Maybe if we all keep on them they would re-consider posting a recall. It could become a safety issue for some.
    Hi Julie,

I experienced the same thing... contacted the social media department, and they set up a case number for me. To make a long story short, a "district manager" in SC told me they couldn't help with the cost of repair of my fuel tank sending unit. He told me that my incident is "isolated" and "this is not a known problem" at GM. I explained that this IS a known problem, since the social media department requested information from people experiencing these issues. (Plus, the local service manager told the customer service rep and me that this is a common problem with this vehicle.) He told me that other factors in his decision not to assist are that I am the second owner of the vehicle and that I didn't purchase it directly from the dealer. That makes no sense... they still manufacture the vehicle!

It just doesn't make sense... it seems like it would be easier for GM to take care of the customers (at least split the repair costs) than have a bunch of upset customers that won't buy another GM vehicle.

Hope you are having a good day!

Tiffany
  • That doesnt make any sense Tiffany, since I bought my vehicle new from a GM dealership. I had an extended warranty and all, but my miles are over 70K now. I never used the extended warranty for any service either. GM is just blowing smoke up everyone's azz to get them off the phone. Seriously, will never purchase any vehicle in the GM family ever again. Didn't GM get a corporate bailout? GM might need another one if all of us decide to take our business elsewhere. GM doesnt care about their customers - thats clear.
    I couldn't agree with you more. This is the first American-made vehicle I have purchased. Perhaps I'll go back to Toyota/Acura, Nissan, and Mazda. I didn't have problems at only 65,000 miles with any of these vehicles.

I was so pleased when Christina from Social Media reached out to us through this forum. I thought "Wow, they really care about their customers." Now I am completely disappointed in them.

Thanks for your reply! Have a good day...

Tiffany
    Folks, if you look back in this forum and see the posting I submitted on 3-7 asking the GM customer service folks here how these complaints are being diseminated to GM, you will understand GM's position. In short, they are not. I, like many, only received a phone call apologizing for the inconvience then telling me how much it will cost to fix the problem. Nothing more.

Please understand, GM has moved on way past this issue and they simply no longer care about the customers suffering through these problems. Think about it, how many people on this forum have come back and stated that GM has fixed their issues at no charge?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,064
    frankie62,
    I apologize you are not satisfied with the resolution of your case. The cases are handled case by case; however, the more people that speak with customer assistance does help bring the concerns to GM's attention. Just because one person did not get the resolution they expected this should not prevent anyone from speaking with them. As most situations have variances. If anyone needs anything please contact me directly.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • sbaynesbayne Posts: 3
    edited April 2011
    Go to RockAuto site cluster is $200 plus refundable core charge

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2347034

There are two different clusters.

I just bought a 2004 XUV with 17,000 original miles and notice two things with the cluster so far. One is the battery light stays on and two, the low fuel light flickers now and then. I hope this is not a sign of things to come as this vehicle is in pristine condition other than this.
    Tiffany,

I apologize that you did not get the resolution that you were seeking. Each case is evaluated on a case by case basis. Our social media department is here to contact any customer on the forum experiencing concerns; this does not necessarily mean this is a known issue to GM. I understand you see a lot of posts on this forum regarding these concerns, and it is my job to set up these cases to make GM aware of the customers concerns.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    Come you can't say that GMC does not necessarily know about this problem. There's too many ENVOY owners out there experiencing the same problems with the instrument panel. GMC should have a recall. They shouldn't wait until someone gets hurt or worse killed, because their speedometer or other gauges do not work properly. Even if GMC helps with just 1/2 the cost to replace would be something. I own 2 other General Motors vehicles and I hope I don't have the same problems as i do with my '03 Envoy.
    Thank you, Caron. I appreciate your response and explanation. When the district manager here told me that my case was "isolated", it just didn't make sense to me (and it still doesn't). There are enough Envoy owners talking about this, that my case far from isolated. In addition, it is my understanding that when GM Customer Care talked with a service supervisor at my local dealership, the supervisor told him this is a common problem with this make/model. That alone should have alerted the district manager that my case wasn't "isolated". As I told the district manager, GM customers that are experiencing these problems would be happier and more apt to purchase another GM in the future if GM would help make this right (only because so many people are experiencing the same type of issues). For GM to assist customers with repair costs would be minimal expense compared to losing GM customers for good. Again, thank you for your reply. Tiffany
  • pocketpocket Posts: 29
    Ok, I have had it with GMC. I will never ever buy another GM product. I contacted socialmedia, and after several e-mails with Christina, I was informed that unless I took my vehicle to a GM dealership to have it checked out, which by the way is 100 miles away due to GM closing several of their dealerships, and paying $80.00 for each vehicle to be checked out (I have two with the exact same problem) they could do nothing for me. I dont have the money to do what they want me to do. I have spent a small fortune for these 2 vehicles, and an even smaller fortune keeping them fixed. So Christina, I thank you for at least contacting me, and TRYING to help. I know you are only following your companys policy's, but if they keep pissing loyal customers off and basicly forcing them to buy other vehicles, there will not be a Government Motors the next time around. I have been a loyal GM customer for over 40 years, and now I am finished with them. Good luck to all of you in here, and God bless the future ones to come, they are going to need it.
  • Okay. Got my instrument panel back from Mr. Whizard (see post #198). Have driven over 200 miles and all is well. They replaced all the stepper motors and light bulbs. If you are like me and can't afford to sell your vehicle using one of the panel repair companies with good feedback from previous customers! After sending off my panel, I found several other places willing to fix them. It's still early in my evaluation of this repair but it beats GMC service by a mile and thanks to all of you I didn't waste any money going to them for assistance 1st! Disappointed (along w/everyone else) why GMC refuses to admit a problem to retain its customer base. I was always taught that "word of mouth" will lose you at least five customers per person with problems. In today's age, I can't imagine less than 10 people with all the people that use the internet and other communication to let others know of their disatisfaction with any product. I have other problems to correct with this vehicle and will post them as I get them taken care of (hopefully helping you all save some money (if you plan/need to fix yourself, like I plan on doing)). My best wishes to all expecting value for their money spent on any product you purchase and the company won't stand behind it-greedy bas****s! Lost another vehicle due to that company standing behind their vehicle either (Chrysler Concorde "sludge"-still under warranty, but not covered-bought it new!). Best advice is to report all problems to the NHTSA (nhtsa.gov) so the government can force the manufacturers of defective products to recall them (the manufacturers closely monitor this website, so you don't need to waste your money going to them for help-try though, if your vehicle is under warranty)!

Mike
  • ldonivanldonivan Posts: 2
    edited April 2011
    We've had all of the same troubles already listed: CD player went first, which I didn't bother to fix. Then it was the tach & speedometer, then the oil pressure, then gas gauge. Next the radio began to work only sporadically. Heat & AC work on driver's side only, a thing no one seems able to fix or even explain. Now the latest thing is that if you turn the fan on it either accelerates on its own, or dies. It also runs through relays/fuses like crazy- we've given up replacing them on lighters- can't charge cells or anything else, which is a pain. An absolute nightmare.

We bought this thing not even a year old, but of course problems started after warranty. GM referred us to dealership where we bought it, but just our luck the dealership where they foisted this thing off on us went out of business. I know two other people with the instrument cluster issue. Why is there no recall?
  • ldonivanldonivan Posts: 2
    Thanks for posting this! Will look and see if we can find something in our area, but if not, Mr. Whizard is certainly cheaper than GMC- & I don't have much faith in them anyhow.
  • ms33362ms33362 Posts: 6
    FYI, the local electrician said he wouldnt touch my envoy xl, states this model is to complicated. took it to the dealer. They Reset the dual accuator, didnt work so they replaced dual accuator (for left and right AC) and the wires were melting from behind the number #4 control knob.
    ldonivan,

I would like to look further into your situation. Could you please email me your VIN and the involved dealership?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,153
    A reporter is looking to interview anyone with a GM vehicle that doesn't seem to accurately read fuel levels.

Please email pr@edmunds.com Friday, April 29, 2011 to share your story.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Good deal, maybe a reporter will get GM to move on all of our Envoy's fuel gauge problems. I've already sent my email to you
  • Ran out of gas yesterday as I was heading to the gas station. Of course this had to eventually happen since the fuel gauge always reads zero. I wish GM would accept responsibility for their defective instrument panels for ALL of us. :lemon:
    edited May 2011
    I ran across this on msnbc.com The NHTSA is now involved. It pays to let your voice be heard.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42857117/ns/business-autos
  • andym3andym3 Posts: 5
    That's great but they only seem to focus on the fuel gauge. The instrument cluster is affecting almost all gauges. My speedometer reads "pegged" at idle and my oil gauge is always pegged while my fuel gauge works fine...for now!
  • amdevamdev Posts: 1
    My wife's 2003 GMC Envoy started to act up last week. 62000 miles. Door chimes, blinking instrument lights, gauges moving. The fuel gauge will go to empty. I assume that this is due to a bad cluster. Will be contacting the NHTSA about this. Amazing how so many people can have the same problem with a vehicle and GMC does nothing. This is the last GMC vehicle I will buy. My toyota is quickly approaching 100k without an issue.