Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Envoy Electrical Problems

Comments

• ericanwvericanwv Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Envoy that has done the same thing to me the other day....I was driving down the road and nothing was wrong then it shut off....what is happening to these vehicles?
  • I have a 2004 GMC Envoy. I love my vehicle but this happened to me yesterday and my steering wheel went stiff and I couldn't coast to the side of the road. I had to wait in the middle of the road for a tow truck and then they put it on the machine and it said something about a mapping and toggle something I dont even have a navigation system. When I went back to check on my vehicle at the shop, it was closing time and they only guy their just threw me my keys and told me I was ready to go and to come back and pay tomorrow. When I called back up there, they told me that I didn't owe anything that it started right up and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Weird and my cruise control works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,108
    rockwell3,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. To get the case set up, I will need the VIN, current mileage, contact information including a number and the involved dealership sent to me in an email. Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • stacy21stacy21 Posts: 1
    I have owned my 2003 Envoy for about 7 years and have dumped hundred and hundred of dollars fixing the multitude of issues... The truck almost killed me and my children with its faulty fuel tank issue!! I had gas leaking terrible out of the the tank, GM fixed it under a recall but still!
    I have had electrical issues, air conditioning issues, everything you could imagine and now today, ignition cylinder for $300 !!!! My key wouldnt turn to start the car!!! not to mention my entire instrument cluster doesnt work.. I have no idea how fast I am going or what my rpm's are at or if my water is too hot cause none of the gauges work and they want $700 for that to be fixed !!!! I truly hate all the issues with this truck!!!!
  • amymike36amymike36 Posts: 5
    We bought the Envoy 2 years ago. It had everything I wanted. But it has been one thing after another. We have had the air conditioning looked at, the brakes and now I am having trouble with the gas gauge. I just had my car in the get the grill replaced and condensor due to hitting a bird. The air on the drivers side will not cool, so I took it back. They have checked everything and it is in the control. We have had this looked at before so I am hoping they cover it. The gas gauge one day decides to work and the next it does not. My husband is about over the edge with this car.
    amymike36,

Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    It is at the dealer today getting looked at. I do not have the information on my right now but will get it to you tonight.
    amymike36,

Please keep me posted on any information from the dealership regarding the vehicle. Look forward to getting your email.

Thank you,
    Now they are saying leak in the a/c line under the fuel tank. Could cost $500 on up depending on if line needs replaced or repaired. This is crazy.
    Vin# 1GKET16SX56167700. I have never had a car with this many problems.
    At this point I almost want to trade it in. I love the way it drives and the room but to keep taking it in and having problems is not good. I have not heard from my husband yet so not sure what the total on this ones going to be. He might tell them forget it and we will go trade it in for something else.
  • dombo1dombo1 Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 GMC Envoy Denali and last winter started having what I think is the same noise. A loud buzzing noise comes through the speaker.
    Did you ever figure out what was causing this?
    dombo1,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your speaker. Please keep me posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
  • jme115ajme115a Posts: 1
    I have been having all kind of problems with this vehicle. Has anyone had this problem: Front vents A/C not working but back vents work. Sometimes it will start when I turn the key and sometimes it won't. Lights and gauges all work and there is no grinding sound or any sound at all ,it just won't crank up , you can wait a while and turn the key and it cranks. also today it is trying to overheat and can not see a water leak anywhere. It is a 2003 Envoy.
    Ok we had the line all the way to the back replaced for the a/c, the fuel sensor since they had the tank down to replace the A/C line and it was not working either. We have had the vehicle back for approx. 2 weeks. Now the drivers side front air is not blowing cold air. We took it in last May for the same problem and they replace a coil. So now what is the problem. Dropped it off this morning and they are calling me this afternoon to discuss.
    amymike36,

Thank you for the updates. Please keep me posted on any information.

Thank you,
  • eriggseriggs Posts: 2
    I have been having the same exact problem as you are/were having with the car not starting all the time? did you ever figure out what it is/was? I have kinda just been ignoring it but today while driving my car broke down! everything just shut down on me while driving. I believe it's my alternator, I tried to jump start it and it started up after a few min. of charging the battery but as soon as i disconnect the jumper cables it would just shut down. I'm not sure if it is/was any relation to the starting/not starting issue...I've had so many problems w/ this car it makes me sick to my stomach! my envoy is a 2005
  • eriggseriggs Posts: 2
    -sometimes the car will start and sometimes it won't, I insert the key and turn it, light gauges and radio will come on but engine will not finally after turning the key back and forth sometimes once or twice sometime I've actually had to spend several min. doing it before it will finally turn on!

-air conditioning issues- rear vents would blow out air but not the front!

-Fuel tank sensor- sometimes it would work sometimes it would not, it finally completely stopped working, they want $500 to fix it, I've had to put so much money into this car that I cannot stomach it so now I have to keep track of my mileage.

-check engine light goes on and off

-shuts down while driving! sometime when driving at a low speed (coming to a stop light or sign or sometime when backing out of parking space) it just shuts down (kinda stalls out?) I simply put the car in park and restart it and it will start back up.

most recent (today)- while driving my car the battery light and ABS light came on then the lights went off, all my gauges dropped and my lights, radio and power locks and doors stopped working, I could still accelerate and apply my brakes so I took exit off of the highway and as I did car completely shut down, I lost power steering and bakes I had somebody come and try to jump start the car, after a few min. of charging the battery it would turn on but as soon as I would disconnect the jumper cables it would turn off, I had to have it towed to repair shop. I am thinking I will definitely need a new alternator but I am afraid of what else may be wrong w/ the stupid car!

this car has been the worse purchase I have EVER made, I literally feel nauseous when I think about it!!!

anyone else out there have all these issues w/ their envoy?

I'm sure I have forgotten some of the issues...
    eriggs,
    Have you spoke with a dealer about your concerns? Can you please email me your VIN and current mileage? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • where to begin!? Ok have 126,000 miles, problems started 3 yrs ago at 60,000. The headlights would just go off while driving at NIGHT. Took to mechanic he told me GM didn't produce a vent or area for air to cool down the lights (so having daytime running lights the bulbs burn out VERY QUICKLY!)
    Which then causes a chain effect... the radio dash will burn HOT when u touch it, and then my battery would start having issues ( when you plug in cell phone chargers the fuses started to blow out, cig lighter, seat adjustment would stop working, the car would keep re starting itself electronically . So I stopped using plug inlets!
    He told me theres no way of fixing this issue until GM fixes it with this car model.
    So about 6 months ago my speedometer stopped working, and speed control would work when it wanted to. Then my speakers blew (or so I thought, I went to have them replaced and the speakers didnt blow, it was an electrical issue and guy told me to take it to a mechanic)

NOW, my passenger door flies open when I am driving! My 13 almost flew out of the car when I was making a turn!!!! The door doesnt close when my car is in park, it only closes when the car is in driving mode! The driver seat just starts moving on its own while Im driving (and my seat driver 1 & 2 mode is off) the rear view mirrors start moving on its own.
    The BEEPING in side my car NEVER STOPS!!!

I went from driving a $40,000 (used) awesome luxury car, to driving a big piece of junk that has a STRAP HOLDING MY DOOR CLOSED!

Break down~
    GM didnt produce a vent or area for air to cool down the lights
    electric malfunctions EVERYWHERE
    PASSENGER DOOR NOT SAFE (OPENS WHILE DRIVING OR WONT CLOSE)
    BEEPING INSIDE NEVER STOPS
    LIGHTS TURN OFF WHILE DRIVING AT NIGHT
    CLUSTER DOESNT WORK PROPERLY
    SEATS AND MIRRORS MOVE ON THEIR OWN.
    Have been through 4 NEW batteries in 3 YRS!!!

Price for your & your families safety....$5,649 !!!
  • I have the same issues (except the fuel tank leak)
    My cluster half works, my a/c & heat doesnt work anymore..my head lights just shut off while im driving at night, my left side passenger door just opens while Im driving (my 13 yr almost went out the door going around a turn THANK GOD HE WAS WEARING HIS BELT! The door doesnt close anymore, only when I am driving will it close. (its strapped closed with a bungee strap) The Beeping inside never stops, and my seat & RV mirrors move on their own while Im driving! My mechanic told me these issue are very common with the ENVOY, and they werent on the recall list.
  • Im reading through some off these postings and am kinda disappointed. I have always been a fan of GM/GMC but the longer I have my truck, which I've had for 2 years, the more disappointed I become. It started with the a/c problem. Had it charged and nothing so I took it into a mechanic. The wiring harness to the A/C had melted! Really?! That's just delightful since this is my "family" car. Next came the gas guage. Its been malfunctioning for the last year and they want to pay for half of the cost? Its obviously a defect in the part, not a wear and tear problem. Of course, I guess it couldve worn out when the heat exposure from the harness melted. Eh, who knows. Im excited that GMC finally acknowledged the problem, but disappointed they want to "half" pay for it.
  • I am really disgusted..... i have had the same issue with the fuel gauge. now the air conditioning only blows out through the rear vents. had the motor in window replaced because it no longer would shut. and now none of the windows work the mechanic tells me now i have an electrical problem!!!! What is wrong with this picture??????? All of a sudden everything is wrong did we buys lemons????? I spent a great amount of money for this Denali and in 5 years it turned out to be a disaster, what can be done about these isusses? can anyone give me some information.

Joanne
  • hi plz help me ok so when i turn my heat on now my truck is losing power an shuts off i had it put on the comp it said that the map or mop an bhar sensor was bad so i replaced that an its still doing the same thing an the comp.still says its bad an i put a brand new one in it..also the truck will beep a few times then the radio will shut off for a moment an come back on with the heat/air full blast.an my passenger heated seat will come on by its self an passenger window will roll up by its self.....thank u for ur time
  • j_engj_eng Posts: 9
    I have a 2007 Envoy and had the same problem, luckily it died in the driveway.
    Dealer called and said it was the window switch which is actually a programmable module. For some reason the fuse didn't just disable the window. I lost all power to the vehicle, the whole inside smelled like burnt wires. Should be covered by the $1,700 extra warrantee. Waiting for the dealer to confirm.
    j_eng,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Please keep us posted when the issue has been taken care of. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact us directly.

THank you,
  • j_engj_eng Posts: 9
    I got the car back, they said that the window module melted. The car stinks terribly still but the two issues are: from a design point a window module failure should have either blown a fuse or tripped a fault code that would shut down and isolate the module and not shut off the engine's computer and leave the person stranded and result in a towing charge!!
    The second issue that I have to fight is that the extended warrentee covered the part and labor but the $47 labor to program the module wasn't covered. Well if the new part isn't going to work without the program then I don't have a repaired car now do I? That 10 second download should have been covered or not charged since they need to do it and they don't buy the program!
    j_eng,

Thank you for the update. Sorry to hear the $47 was not covered. Please keep me posted if you experience any other problems.

Thank you,
  • Hi my truck was working just fine, did have the drivers door issue got it looked at they fixed it and it went back out so I didnt worrying about it nomore! But on October 13, 2011 the truck was just sitting in the yard havent been drove in about 14 hours, I heard a noice outside looked out the window and the truck was on fire burning inside had busted the front window on the passenger side and the passenger window the passenger door and half the dashboard burnt totalled the vehichle. I feel like I been done wrong I paid 14500 out 24000 the insurance paid the rest and I feel like I should get some money back because Only had the truck for 2 years and something should be done! Had no problem with the passenger window at all just dont understand this and I want some of my money back!
  • Msvandella,

Thank you for posting this - could we please learn more? Email us your name/user name, contact information, the last 8 of your VIN, and more details on this incident.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I purchased this vehicle at the beginning of last year, it had 40xxx miles was 3 yrs young and looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor. I wish I would have done more research! Fast forward to December 2011. Like everyone else I have suffered the infamous Fuel Level Sensor issue. One day it decided to stop working, I replaced the faulty part. At least that is still working. Now I’m battling electrical problems. The Air Bag, Traction Control and ABS light randomly come on. Also the TPMS wheel sensors freak out and stop reading. This morning my wife calls on her way to work to inform me that the display in the gauge cluster advised her to immediately shut off the vehicle due to a loss in oil pressure. After I traded her cars I checked to oil, guess what ? It was full, go figure. On the way home the oil pressure gauge steadily dropped from 40 to 20 and the alternator gauge began reading well over 14 volts. The battery and the alternator both checkout fine. I have read some of the other posts and couldn't believe what I was reading; people’s doors actually fly open !! There was also one that caught on fire ?!?! Apparently GM knows about these problems, but there too cheap to do anything about them. I received the letter that stated they were willing to " pay half " of the cost to repair the Fuel sending unit. WHAT A JOKE !! Really.... So you acknowledge that it’s a problem, but you don’t stand behind your product enough to reimburse me 100% of the repair costs. That says a lot about the General Motors. People are having serious safety problems with these vehicles while GM is standing by twiddling their thumbs. Where are the Recalls ?? Where is the customer service ?? Why are you not taking responsibility for these blatant issues? I can’t understand why anyone hasn’t filed a class action law suit.