Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 Leaks

2»

Comments

• last summer I noticed a horrible mildew smell in my 02 RAV4. I found it came from the passenger side floor. removed padding and cleaned very well. smell went away almost completely. thinking it was something I spilled, found out smell came back 2 weeks ago even stronger. The passenger side mat was sweaty and carpet damp to touch. Realized there must be a leak somewhere, but haven't found from where. Anybody going through this? any help/advice? How can I find the leak and if so, how to fix it. I hate the smell and it's embarrassing.
  • ndarlingndarling Posts: 1
    I just scooped 2 inches of rain off passenger side floor after heavy rain. 5th time I've had a puddle. Was sitting in car one day and noticed a few drips from top of passenger side door!!! Door was NOT wet, was dripping right to floor. Only happens in heavy rain. Assume I need door seal replaced.
  • evitanzaevitanza Posts: 4
    Do you have a sunroof? On my 2002 rav2 I had mysterious puddling on passenger carpet, after heavy rains. I cleared it out only to appear again. This forum suggested in detail a fix -- search previous leaks threads. In short, If you have a sunroof there are holes when roof is open that are probably clogged w dirt etc. even w roof clsed, when they are plugged the water drains along door frame right under frame of passenger floor. Cleaning out clogged drain holes 4 in all w wire hanger fixed my issue permanently. Without a sunroof, I'm not sure where drain holes would be, but it's a no cost solution to try.
  • I don't have a sunroof and still experience same situation as many other RAV4'02 owners. That "mysterious" all-of-a-sudden mildew smell on passenger's side floor/rug that tends to re-appear only on very rainy season. Right now I'm at a point where I left my rug rolled up, floor/wires exposed, threw away padding. I hate it but am desperate to get rid of that awful smell still lingering in my car. :confuse: :mad: :confuse: :mad: :confuse:
  • We just bought a used 2002 Rav 4. We had leaks coming from 2 different locations. The most troublesome leak is coming from under the dash on the passenger side from the right rubber wire grommet that protects a braid of wires coming from under the hood through the fire wall and under the dash to multiple wire harnesses and plugs. There are 2 rubber grommets in close proximity to each other. My leak is from the right grommet. This is what I discovered. The position of the grommet is in a place where water from the windshield is diverted. There is also only an inch between the bottom of the grommet and the wheel well under the hood. So it collects water. Second, the grommet is concave on the engine side of the fire wall. So water collects in the grommet and under the grommet. I found that this is the location of the very significant leak that has mildewed the carpet and under padding. In order to access the grommet you have to remove the battery and the battery tray. I am in the process of sealing this grommet with silicone. So far I have not been successful. But I think I can put ample silicone around the grommet and in the concave area of the grommet and am praying this will end the leak.

The second leak came from 4 screw holes in the troughs on the roof that are intended for roof rack braces. My problem is that my rav has 6 sets of two holes in the trough and my roof rack had only 4 mounts leaving 4 holes wide open that allowed rain water to run down the inside of the plastic interior panels and gather in the front floor boards.

I had to remove carpet, the ceiling panel and the interior panels to discover this. Hopefully this information will help you locate possible leaks in your Rav

Right now my carpet is out. all the seats are out. the interior panels are out and we are "de-molding" the interior. What a project!
  • We just bought a used 2002 Rav 4. We had leaks coming from 2 different locations. The most troublesome leak is coming from under the dash on the passenger side from the right rubber wire grommet that protects a braid of wires coming from under the hood through the fire wall and under the dash to multiple wire harnesses and plugs. There are 2 rubber grommets in close proximity to each other. My leak is from the right grommet. This is what I discovered. The position of the grommet is in a place where water from the windshield is diverted. There is also only an inch between the bottom of the grommet and the wheel well under the hood. So it collects water. Second, the grommet is concave on the engine side of the fire wall. So water collects in the grommet and under the grommet. I found that this is the location of the very significant leak that has mildewed the carpet and under padding. In order to access the grommet you have to remove the battery and the battery tray. I am in the process of sealing this grommet with silicone. So far I have not been successful. But I think I can put ample silicone around the grommet and in the concave area of the grommet and am praying this will end the leak.

The second leak came from 4 screw holes in the troughs on the roof that are intended for roof rack braces. My problem is that my rav has 6 sets of two holes in the trough and my roof rack had only 4 mounts leaving 4 holes wide open that allowed rain water to run down the inside of the plastic interior panels and gather in the front floor boards.

I had to remove carpet, the ceiling panel and the interior panels to discover this. Hopefully this information will help you locate possible leaks in your Rav

Right now my carpet is out. all the seats are out. the interior panels are out and we are "de-molding" the interior. What a project!
  • francklfranckl Posts: 4
    There is a washer under the driver mat
    It gets dry with age and allow water to come in when you drive through rain it took me 3 hours to find this . No leak was ciming from above
    Check the picture , i have a rav 4
    I directed water from a hose and I could see the water coming . Hope this help
    Get this washer change if you find the code number for that piece .
    Hope this help
    image.jpg 772.2K
  • francklfranckl Posts: 4
    Btw , i water that washer from under the car and I could see the water coming in , I don't understand the purpose of this washer . So when you drive in heavy rain i assume that the pressure from the water propeled by the front tires might be significant .
2»