Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Tata Nano, India's $2,500 Car

1111213141517»

Comments

• wait till the gas hits $12/gallon than you will crave for a car that gives you 45mpg... we as americans havebeen spoilt from almost free oil supply ..for too long..now we have to tighten our belts or go over to big cars on electric or solar at 50mph or range of 80miles tops
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,910
    Luckily, there are ways to hit 45mpg without driving something from India that resembles a Pokemon character :shades:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, but 2 wheelers have limited applications. :shades:
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,071
    Yeah, but you'll look infinitely cooler on a motorcycle than driving a Nano!
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,910
    You'll look cooler on a Vespa than driving a Nano.

45mpg isn't tough in 2012. Lots of hybrids, tiny gassers, diesels all over the world that can get it, and not look silly.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,678
    A diesel Mini comes to mind. I even like the new CUV Mini. I am guessing by the time the Nano gets here it will be like the Smart and lucky to get 35 MPG. The diesel Smart that used to be sold in Canada got an honest 70 MPG US. But alas it is history last I read. They probably bring big bucks up there used.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Autoweek tested all the 40mpg club and the two that could sustain 40mpg even at 70mph in real world driving were the Golf TDI and the Mazda3 SkyActiv.

That they also happen to be towards the sporty side of their segments doesn't hurt, either.
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,706
    So basically we'll be getting a $2500 car with some safety bits added and a terrible automatic transmission for something like $9000, or about a $5000 markup over cost.

The ONLY thing about the Tata Nano that's worthwhile about it is the super cheap price. If you want a $10K car, just get a cheap Yaris or similar.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,118
    "If you want a $10K car, just get a..." decent used car. Fewer compromises.
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,706
    That's really the same thing, though.

"For you, only 4x markup..."

Americans might be into fads, but we're not complete idiots.