Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Xterra Manual Transmission Problems

14567810»

Comments

• phxjeffphxjeff Posts: 4
    I drive a 2008 Off Road Xterra purchased new. First clutch went out at 4000 mile, second at 9000 miles third at 15000 miles and recent one at 24000 miles. First three were OEM. Fourth was a JWT clutch. Shop said flywheel was okay, but I suspect the flywheel should have been replaced. I am now trying a Centerforce system with new OEM flywheel. BTW, these flywheels are rather strange. They are several pieces and seem loose. I have driven standard transmission vehicles all my life including several muscle cars. I do not drive off the road, don't pull anything am retires so no rush hour stop and go. I do not ride the clutch. I think there must be a design problem, but just what has me baffled.
  • At 93K had to install 4th clutch in my 2006 Off Road. I went to a JWT clutch and flywheel. Hope this will be the last clutch I ever install in the last Nissan I'll ever own. Had to install cat converter at the same time. What a :lemon:
  • milemakermilemaker Posts: 3
    '05 Xterra.
    Shifter sticks either "up" or "down" when shifting to reverse. It seems totally random. One time it will push down and enter the shift gate no problem. Next time will not push down at all, resulting in no reverse. Next time remain pushed down. Seems to show up more after vehicle has been running. i.e. not first thing upon cold start. I have had it apart twice. The return spring is o.k, and I cleaned and greased the nylon "guide". Anybody else seeing this problem???
  • I bought my Xterra in June 2010 it is a 4x4 manual gearbox. I had to wait close on 3 months to get this heap as the dealership here in Florida didn't see the reason to have 4x4 suvs here in Florida as there is no use for them... I have been driving a stick since I got my driving license in Africa since I was 16 some 38 years ago. I actually learned to drive a stick at the age of 14 at my fathers factory where I drove a 1300cc datsun panel van (pick up truck) with column gears. At the age of 18 I went into the army where we used to have many Nissan Trucks that were converted into armored vehicles all sticks. I left Africa and went to the UK at the age of 25 where I drove Nissans all sorts of models till I left in 2006 and came to the USA. Well back to the Xterra after 14022 miles the clutch exploded completely no plate left at all the fly wheel had been blue hot I have pictures. Then at 16760 miles the gearbox had to be changed out as all the syncros had gone too and you could not change gears. Well since then I have complained of intermittent clutch slip which I think is contributed to it getting too hot and now the syncros are going again at 20800 miles. Of course according to the dealership I'm riding the clutch. At that my comment is mmmmm.. How come I have driven a stick for 38years now without any clutch or gearbox trouble ever, now its me. Not only that I also have a Nissan Versa the gearbox was taken out and replaced at less than 4000 miles and guess what the clutch is also begining to slip at 30000 miles. And just for the record for all of you American drivers of Nissan your car is very inferior to the models sold in Europe. Fuel milage is worse here safety features are pathectic here, suspension, gearbox etc etc I could go on for ever. By the way I also used to race road course in the UK and never blew a clutch whilst doing that either!
  • I will answer my own post as I have fixed this problem.
    Turns out it was the small nylon bushing attached to the very bottom of the shifter. This bushing is what connects the shifter to the linkage. When you depress the shifter to enter the reverse safety gate this bushing is required to push down into the linkage bore. Mine was damaged...Somehow??...Anyway it was causing it to randomly stick in the bore. Unfortunately, this 50 cent bushing is not replaceable. New shifter required. $217.00 Canadian, 3 week wait. I also replaced the transmission top that the shifter and spring seat into. $ 58.00.
    Shifts into reverse perfectly....For now :>
  • sjoffroadsjoffroad Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    I've got to chime in here and give my experience with my X. I bought it new in 07' and have abused it since. I've jumped it, I've towed an 18ft car hauler weighing over 6k lbs over 2000mi. I've towed 10k a few times around town. Its has had a hard life. I'm at 105k miles right now and just starting to feel the clutch give.
    I've decided to purchase a JWT flywheel and clutch setup for its obvious benefits and reliability. Maybe I got lucky but I dont ever ride the clutch. I do religiously downshift to help the brakes out, So much so that when I changed out the brakes at 85k miles, the pads still looked new!
    I seriously love this thing. Aside from a Battery and the fuel tank sending unit malfunctioning, this is the only major part I've purchased. So $900 for 105k miles is Well worth it. :)
  • 2012 Xterra Pro 4-X
    The ABS brake light comes on and goes off randomly. While it is on the vehicle will not engage in 4 wheel drive, when the light goes out it engages quickly into 4 wheel drive. My dealership is going to look at it next week. Has any one else had this issue come up? thanks..
  • hargshargs Posts: 1
    I have to replace my clutch twice now as well. Nissan should be looking to fix this problem.
  • Hey, they've had the problem since 2006. They are not interested in solving the problem. Heck, they won't even admit they have a problem. They blame it on your driving. :lemon: :lemon:
  • I bought my 03 Xterra brand new and now have 128,000 miles on it. I am currently still driving on the original clutch. Knock on wood!!!
  • Frustrated by continual serious clutch noise / vibrations felt in pedal in my 2012 Xterra Pro X and Nissan's assertion that this is "normal" - even after they changed out the throw out bearing after. Looking for suggestions on where to turn?

14567810»