Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS: Problems & Solutions

deh5557deh5557 Posts: 3
My 1992 LS400 has leaking LCD dash displays for
both the HVAC display and the Nakamichi stero
display.
The dealer wants $1300.00 to repair!
Does anyone know were the displays alone can be
purchased or can replace the displays after
removal from the vehicle?

Comments

• chumsaechumsae Posts: 61
    The stereo (non-Nakamichi) is ok but the time/temp
    LCD is fogged over. After a hot day in the parking lot I can read the display but it's sort
    of foggy. I've never tried to sort out the repair
    problem or $$$'s.
  • oilcan2oilcan2 Posts: 120
    This is no solution but I have seen these
    components on Ebay under Lexus,somewhere out there
    there has to be somebody that repairs these
    systems,all we have to do is find this place.
  • I had that trouble with my stereo on my 1996. I took it to a respectable car and audio repair shop and they fixed the problem for around $80.00.
  • Yes, I do have a fix. Just e-mail me and I would be happy to assist all who are interested.
  • pat455pat455 Posts: 603
    Welcome to Town Hall!

Please, tell us about your fix for this problem!

Town Hall is not the typical question and answer board. We discuss things around here at great length and the discussions are always available for anyone looking for answers on a particular problem.

So it would be very helpful for all of us if you would post your thoughts on this problem here.

Thanks, and again welcome.

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • mradmanmradman Posts: 3
    I have a 91 LS 400 I bought last week and the temperature, time display is leaking. The radio control display is OK. Dealer wants $512 to replace. Please post the options I have to fix this. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
  • The Part's Department at Lexus of Riverside does sell rebuilt ac control panel with a one year warranty for around $350.00. What a savings. You can contact them at lexusofriverside.com. That price is an exchange price.
    I called around to all the radio shops in Chicago suburbs and no one will touch the AC/Clock display for repair. Everyone says this is a dealer fix. Went to dealer to get the part and the cost was $395. Luckly I found a display table with brochures and some Lexus coupon books mixed together. I found a 10% off coupon for all parts. My total cost was about $360. I put the part in myself. Very easy. The whole shifter console and center radio panel lifts off on hinges or a few holding screws. I installed it and put it back together in about 30 minutes. No problems and I am not a mechanic.
  • I also have this leaking LCD problem along with another related inconvenience. The green lights (LEDS?) on several of the Climate Control and Radio buttons are burned out. The end result is that these buttons are totally blacked out at night. Anybody have a solution on how to fix this? It seems like a quick, easy, cheap?, fix so I have not gone to my dealer for the solution. If anybody has a solution to this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
    I don't know if you have a choice but to replace the whole face plate of the AC/Clock display. When I opened it up, there was no room or anywhere to pull out any lightbulbs and replace w/new ones. It was all sealed together or glued shut. I even asked the dealer to give me the LCD display by itself and i will somehow glue it on from behind. They said this is not an option. They just didn't have anything to give me. It comes as a whole face unit as far as I know. The one I got was remanufactured, a new one costs about $600.00. I saw a sticker from the remanufacturer on the back when I installed it and it was a company from California, I think L.A. area. I don't remember the name but it was something like Mivela industries or close to that. Maybe there is a way to get inside and replace the bulbs-it only makes sense. Good luck.

If you find out let me know because my one bulb is out for my passenger heated seats button.
  • fantomdfantomd Posts: 1
    I just brought a 1990 Ls 400 on Aug 1 and I love it . I also had some lights out on the display I opened it up . It seems there are small 12v bulbs with a green rubber cover. I went to radio shack and brought a 12v bulb with half in. leads. I then drilled a small hole in the base that hold the bulbs . it was a perfect fix. I then had to tap into the wire that turn on with the dash light using a wire tap (red wire from bulb).Then tap a ground wire( white wire on bulb) close the unit and it works perfect you can't tell the difference between the original and the ones I replaced. I am sure somewhere sells bulbs that would fix directly into the factory base? I am still looking If I find them I will post. By the way these bulbs at Radio Shack cost 1.49 ea. Good luck to all with the same problem.
  • rob8rob8 Posts: 16
    perhaps you can get the light bulbs from irontoad.com. I've ordered other parts from them in the past and have been very happy with the service.

When some of the climate control/clock lights on my 91 LS400 started going out I had my dealership (Longo) replace the bulbs. It cost me about $80 + parts and they replaced all the bulbs, not just the burned out ones. A few weeks later, I had an alarm installed on my car and the installer mentioned that he knew how to replace the bulbs as well. I'll probably have him do my stereo bulbs if they ever start going out. It'll be considerably cheaper (although $80 is very reasonable compared to other estimates I have seen on the web) and he knows his way around these cars so I trust him.

regarding leaking LCDs. Do you think the cause of the problem is heat/sunlight related? My 91LS400 had a very dark tint on all the windows for 9 years. Also, it was often parked in the shade or in a garage. I have not (knock on wood)
    experienced the LCD problems that so manyother Lexus owners have.
  • thanks for the info (mradman, fantomd, rob8). although fantomd's solution appear to be the most economical, i don't think that i'm technical astute enough to attempt something like that. i'll give the dealer a shot and if he can replace the bulbs for a price close to what rob8 received, i'll go ahead and go for it; after all, the original bulbs lasted about 8-9 years, 80 bucks is not bad if it'll last the remaining life of the car....
  • rob8rob8 Posts: 16
    good luck on the lights. Remember, your dealer should replace ALL the bulbs,not just the burned out ones. The $80 was for the labor of taking the unit apart to get at the bulbs. The bulbs themselves were just a few bucks each so switch em all out now. I believe there are around 7 or 8 bulbs in there. I think it was a little over $100 total. If you happen to get a less than helpful service consultant who insists on selling you a whole new unit or a remanufactured unit, then speak to another consultant. If you are in LA,I'd recommend going to Longo.
  • pat455pat455 Posts: 603
    >>Please email any suggestions.

Better yet, post 'em here! That way others can benefit as well. :-)

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • The LCD on climate unit goes due to expansion contraction heat/cold in Florida almost all such LCD's are no good.
  • Where can I get my Trunk CD Changer fro 92 LS 400 rebuilt or fixed? Pioneer 6 CD trunk mount.
    Please post !
    Thank you, Sheldon
  • hi all

if you replace the whole A/C control panel, you wouldn't need to replace the burned-out bulbsl, right? or is this a separate matter?

thanks
  • It seems most of the trouble is with the Temp and Clock displays and not the Sound System display. Since they appear to be the same type of displays, I wonder why? I too have all but impossible to read displays for Temp & Clock on my 94 LS400. I had a 92 before with no trouble at all.
  • tcsctcsc Posts: 5
    I wrote about my 1992 Lexus LS 400 speedometer bouncing up and down and otherwise acting crazy. Had the problem fixed. It was the speed censor on the transmission. Cost about 500.00 to repair. I'm still looking for a fix for the blurry clock readout short of replacement.