Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• suxelsuxel Posts: 2
    Re 2004 LS430:
    Rcvd factory notice last week that there is an "anamoly" with the GPS on my 430. It will be a dealer fix at no cost; the free fix will also include an updated map at no cost.
    They said that some of the locations/directions are incorrect. I know this to be true, because if I followed info to my house, I would be going in opposite direction once I was within 200 feet of destination.
    This just a heads up. My dealer is Lexus of Memphis. P.S. Dealer was unaware of this problem until I phoned for my appt.
  • rgswrgsw Posts: 333
    Had a new DVD NAV update 4.2 version installed today at no charge on my 2005 LS430.
  • I recently purchased a '90 LS400 with only 82K miles. It is a fine car but already the antenna has given up on me. When i removed the inner panel inside the trunk to get to the antenna I noticed a box similar to a CPU. This on had a key inserted. The key rotated 90 degrees, obviously turning something off & on.

Any idea what this box is? The previous owner is a friend but is somewhat odd. Could he have installed something, a radar deter maybe?

thanx
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Analog so maybe like me junked everything else.
  • My 2001 LS430 steering wheel assembly occasionally groans when retracting after the ignition is turned off.Any similar experiences? What is the solution?
  • That was a known problem with that year. There was a service bulletin (TSB)issued to fix it, and after that was done the noise went away. See if the service records show that fix ever being done to your car. There were 90+ postings on the groan in 2001. One of them #1646 on the Lexus LS board gave the instructions for a temporary fix by resetting the travel limits in each direction. My memory is that the groan was more pronounced in the summer.
    No problem (after 1 mo) with my 2005. (sailor also)
  • My 2001 LS430 steering wheel assembly occasionally groans when retracting after the ignition is turned off.Any similar experiences? What is the solution?
  • What should the tach read when traveling 70mph in my 2001 LS 430 on 17" wheels?
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I've heard that's a common complaint.
    I would guess about 2100 RPM. I'll check it tomorrow on my 2005 LS430 with 17" rims and let you know ASAP. However, the 2005 is six speed transmission v.v. five speed on the 2001.
  • luapluap Posts: 21
    Answer to #1352 and #1360. I checked the local dealer and after having to show him the picture in the Owners Manual, he finally found it (15 minutes later) in an exploded view of their parts database. Looks like the P/N is 58810 ($259) and the power outlet is P/N is 85530C ($46). Shame on Lexus for charging over $300 before installation - I agree with burk, "THE COST IS TOTALLY UNREASONABLE" and I also will NOT do it. We are trying to become a Smoke Free society - why is Lexus installing ash trays in their USA cars?
  • I have been informed by my local Lexus dealer that there is a version 4.1 for both Generation 3 and 4 Nav installations. Has anybody bought a Gen 3 version 4.1 DVD and was there much difference to their previous version? I have version 1.0.
  • pc1pc1 Posts: 1
    My 2004 LS430 has a high frequency whine heard at speeds of 75 to about 82 MPH. This was noticed before the 1000 mile service. I was told initially that there would be a technical service bulletin or recall to correct the problem. Subsequently Lexus has stated that the noise is within "design specifications."

I would appreciate information from 430 owners on their experience re a whine (or absence of) at high speeds.
  • I just got 4.1 from 1.0 on my 2001 Ls 430. I made a big difference. Lots of new streets in my area. Now I can even find my own home.
  • pip7pip7 Posts: 10
    Does anyone out there have personal experience with the SonyEricsson t637 or the nokia 6820 on the 2005 LS? It seems odd that niether Lexus phone support nor the phone manufacturers want to deal with this issue.
  • While I can't address the particular phones you listed, my experience with a Motorola V551 (Cingular)might be of some help. I found that I had to sit down with the Lexus owner's manual and the cell phone manual and go back and forth to get the Bluetooth link set up properly. The Moto V551 manual was a real mess, but punching enough buttons finally got the job done. Now the phone/car interface works perfectly in all respects. One warning however, if you leave Bluetooth active on your phone, it really drains the battery! I discovered a shortcut that lets me turn on Bluetooth temporarily with two button pushes and it automatically turns off when I get out of the car. Hope this is of some help...

Tom
  • pip7pip7 Posts: 10
    Thanks, I ended up getting the Sony Ericsson T637. I'll reprt back when I see how it works out.
  • famwaldfamwald Posts: 114
    <<The gas struts are there to hold the trunk lid in any "given" position, they have a gas valving system that causes them to resist movement in either direction.>>

Is that why the trunk lid is so darned difficult to raise? My Avalon was so much easier to open.

I'm wondering if I have a service issue with my new '05 LS430.
  • mezecamezeca Posts: 66
    Does it not tick you off that you had to have the transmission replaced on such a new "dream".
    Didn't tick me off, especailly after the dealer filled my empty tank with gas and then Lexus Headquarters sent me $200 in gas gift certificates with an apology for any inconvenience suffered on my part. I'd rather they change out the transmission than to keep it secret of try to fix the existing one. Cheers