Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• aggie76aggie76 Posts: 265
    I am just South of you in IL and have an '04. Have done the one thing that is a must in my opinion and that is adding snow tires to the LS and then, it does very well in wet, heavy snow. Been through snowfalls of 7" or more this past winter in IL and MI and never had a single issue with traction on my LS. I used Dunlop Winter Sport M3's with great luck.
  • paul29paul29 Posts: 178
    Try Sewell Lexus at www.lexus-parts.com , I recently purchased a kit there , you may find a better price or a closer place but they are competitive .
  • gwendolyngwendolyn Posts: 46
    Hello guys...I'm back. How can you tell if you need front end struts. When I hit a bump or a pot hole...it hits pretty hard...kinda loud...

My next question...if I need struts, what brand do you recommend...I priced kyb struts @ 145.00 per side and monroe @ 143.00 per side.

Also, what does "electric pneumatic suspension" and "automatic leveling system" mean?

Thanks for your help,

Gwen
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    The LS series is available with air suspension as an option, otherwise you have the conventional struts.

With air suspension you have a switch to disable it in the trunk.

But if you have never noticed the car "hissing" at you just after you park it you have struts.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    Not to mention air suspension LS400's have a switch for the air suspension settings next to the transmission shift lever on the center console.
  • nhanxsolonhanxsolo Posts: 7
    Does anyone know where I can get small cosmetic parts such as the knob for reclining the seats?
    Some there right now...
    im a big eBay person, but i cant seem to find that knob on eBay, i was looking for places where they always have it in stock.
  • garyh1garyh1 Posts: 386
    Does anyone know where I can get small cosmetic parts such as the knob for reclining the seats?

Why wouldn't you just get them through the Parts Dept. of your local Lexus dealer? What am I missing?

You could also try www.Lexus-parts.com
  • deadairdeadair Posts: 10
    I recently had some water pump issues on my 1995 400 LS. The previous owner had the water pump replaced during the timing belt replacement. All were done at the Lexus dealer in Wisconsin. That was at 122K. I noticed leakage after a trip to Cleveland. The dealer told me that the water pump was out and had leaked on the timing belt. I suspected that the first job was not done correctly. And after no luck with the shop that did the work, I called the 800 number. My argument was that the timing belt replacement was a preventative maintenance issue not a something is broken and fix it issue. Also, why had their been no problem during the previous 122K miles and now 10k later the pump goes bad. After a spirited debate, Lexus paid half the $850. This car has been dealer maintained since day one. The previous owners even had oil changes (I am sure to the tune of $60) done at the dealer. My argument was how much more prudent can an owner be as having everything done at Lexus. He would not work with me on the A/C compressor issue though ($1,300). I told the customer service rep that if I had paid $50K I would have been a lot more forceful. Now I realize why I have bought Japanese cars since 1984. Can you imagine Ford or Chevy, or even Cady or Lincoln giving ground on this issue.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Lexus is good, but actually, I've had even better stories to tell about Lincoln. But I won't bore you with them on this thread.
  • danjdanj Posts: 5
    The a/c on my 1994 LS 400 has a musty and mold odor. The Lexus dealer suggested spraying Lysol into the intake air vents located in engine compartment next to the windshield. I tried this, but, it doesn't last more than an hour or so. Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated. Thanks!!
    on Edmunds:

A/C & odor

or on google:

Denso demist odor

And read:

http://www.airsept.com/eed.html
  • danjdanj Posts: 5
    Thanks very much for getting back so fast, regarding the a/c odor problem I am having.

The two sites you recommended are very imformative, and I shall take that advice and then let you and others know the results.

It's great to have someone like you on these boards, it gives one a chance to try a fix without paying the Dealer an arm and leg..lol

danj :)
  • cove148cove148 Posts: 117
    Had my LS430 for 5 months now and find that I am putting the smart key in the ignition on start up. It's to large and uncomfortable to add to my key set. I am over riding an option that I paid a grand for. Any recommendations?
  • aggie76aggie76 Posts: 265
    I keep mine separate from my keys 99% of the time and just leave it in my pocket (pants or jackets depending on dress). I only carry two keys with me and I set them and their ring in the cubby hole on the center stack that opens up just above the seat controls.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've had the key in the ignition in the 13 months of ownership.
    I recently bought a 1990 Lexus LS400, the A/C works fine, its ice cold, but i cant seem to get the heat to turn on, this may be a stupid question but how do you turn on the heat exactly? I tried raising the temperature to the maximum, but its still cold air, are there any other buttons I left out? thanks.
    the hot water control valve. It's located at the top center of the firewall inside the engine compartment. As you move the temperature control from max hot to max cool the cable that comes throught the firewall (other end attached to the servomotor that drives the airflow mixing vane) should move the valve from fully open to fully closed.

In the summertime to improve the A/C efficiency (and increase MPG) I remove the cable and tie the valve closed.
  • cacmancacman Posts: 40
    I have a 1998 LS 400 with 83,000 miles - In the morning when it is cold, the steering is very "rough" - It sounds like the belt is struggling to turn, and the engine makes a humming noise. I know a little more than nothing about cars. My guess is that the power steering belt is going bad, or if there is a power steering pump, then it may be going bad. The problem seems to get better as the car warms up. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
  • famwaldfamwald Posts: 114
    You might want to get the power steering pump as well as related parts looked at. Our son now owns our '98 Avalon (which I always called the Lexus wannabe). At 95k mi he's been complaining lately about having to refill the power steering fluid and a noise. Oddly enough, with the warm weather, it's not been leaking lately.

Over on the Avalon forums here at Edmunds, it is quite normal for the power steering pump to go bad on the '98 Avalons.. You might want to check those forums out, or do a search in this forum for 'power steering'. I would think both cars share a lot of the same parts and engineering.