Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• nhanxsolonhanxsolo Posts: 7
    there might be a leak in the "power steering pressure hose" I had the same problem, replaced the hose, if you order it from a Lexus dealer it'll be about 300 not including labor to put it in, i bought my hose on eBay for 125 and with the labor it costs me 200 total, i think theres a hos eon eBay right now, search "lexus steering hose"
  • loekurloekur Posts: 1
    i recently purchased a 91 lexus LS 250 got a good price for something to tinker with.. but am stumped.. put it in drive , runs fine down the road.. put it in park or and won't rev past 2200 rpm.. put in reverse.. it starts to engage. but tires lock up and won't go backwards.. (won't rev up over 2200 rpm either.. put in drive and it runs fine.. like normal..) don't know if last person worked on transmission in it and didn't get something back right or.. if the linkage is screwed up and it is trying to shift in park and reverse at same time either way i am stumped. any suggestions are appreciated..
  • hello, how u doing? i'm looking 4 a conversion kit 4 my '92 ls 400. is there any way u can help me? thanks
  • hello, i have a '92 ls400. my problem is the car has the air suspension, i need rear bags. dont know if its best to do the rear or just get all 4 done without the air/ride. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
  • tntitantntitan Posts: 306
    I believe this car was 15" OEM. If so, does anyone know if there would be a problem changing to 16" or 17" wheels? I am considering buying a '91 with a little over 100K and plan to change out the wheels, replace the timing belt and water pump, and upgrade the OEM (not a Nac) stereo.

I am trying to find out before I buy it if the power steering pump and the alternator have been replaced. This car was serviced at the same dealer the last 11 years and was brought in 4 or 5 times a year but I don't have the service records....yet. Anything else I should be looking for in particular?
  • brianh696brianh696 Posts: 1
    My SC400 is doing the exact same thing, only I'm in South LA and its a real problem.

They're telling me that its the clutch making the noise and want to charge me an outrageuos amount. What did you ever find out?

• dadcat6dadcat6 Posts: 3
    A conversion kit to a regular strut/spring suspension is available from,

http://www.strutmasters.com/
  • ui743530ui743530 Posts: 2
    hello there ,
    I have LS400,1992 and i am having problem with my AC. I am not able to figure out the problem because the compressor turns on and off just fine. but there is no cold air.

Is it a common problem with LS and what should i do to fix it cheaply .

Thanks
    Umair
  • ui743530ui743530 Posts: 2
    hello there ,
    I have LS400,1992 and i am having problem with my AC. I am not able to figure out the problem because the compressor turns on and off just fine. but there is no cold air.

Is it a common problem with LS and what should i do to fix it cheaply .

Thanks
    Umair
  • famwaldfamwald Posts: 114
    the compressor turns on and off just fine. but there is no cold air.

Could it be out of Freon? (do car A/Cs back in '92 even use freon?)

Another thing might be a hose. I had an AC problem with a Volvo back in '90 that was simila --- only blew hot air --- and after the 2nd or 3rd trip back to the dealer they finally (duh) figured out it was a hose.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    The compressor is locked out if the low side freon pressure is too low. If you try max cool and still do not get cooling then one of the servomotors has failed. At max heat or max cool the system ignores all sensors and simply drives the mixing vane to full heat or full cooling. The nice thing about these early models is that you can see/watch the mixing vane servomotor do its thing.

The hot water flow valve is in the engine compartment at the top center of the firewall. A cable attached to this valve is driven by the same servomotor that drives the mixing vane internally. You should be able to observe this cable moving from the valve closed position to fully open when you go from max cool to max heat.

The good news is that if the compressor is cycling on a fairly regular basis then you can bet that "something" is being cooled. The most likely problem is that the incoming airflow is being cooled but then fully reheated due to the mixing vane being stuck in the max heat position.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    For 1993, Lexus upped the LS400 to 16" wheels/tires. I think anything up to 17" will be fine for the 91 LS400, just as long as the tires aren't too wide. I would stick with 225/60-16's if I were you.
    Would be the proper +1 upgrade. That's what's on my 1992 LS400, 16X8 BBS-RS and Bridgestone Turanzas for quiet.
  • tntitantntitan Posts: 306
    The 17" wheels that I have should fit. The tires are 215/50/17 Yohohama Avid V4's and I really like them a lot. Any reason why they would not fit?
    that for 17's you would need something more on the order of 235/45-17 to do a "true" +2 from the 15". 215/50 would definitely be the wrong direction insofar as the speedo accuracy.
  • leonardwleonardw Posts: 4
    Hi! I have only had my o5/Ls430 for a month,But my complaint would be hesitation and harsh ride. talked to my dealer and he told to bring it in.After taking a test ride with the shop forman he explained it was becouse of the drive by wire system.I don't like it but I don't know if thare is anything that can be done about the problem.I think the harsh ride is becouse of the 18" wheels and tires.I'm thinking of going to a 16" wheel and tire.I don'y know if this change would cause other problems or not.I'm hopeing some others on this board may have went this route.
  • rgswrgsw Posts: 334
    I read somewhere on this board that the dealer could reprogram the computer to get rid of the "hesitation". Might ask the dealer about it or Lexus Hq. As for the ride on 18", find a 2005 at the dealer with 17" (even if it's a used one) and test drive it and compare to yours.
  • garyh1garyh1 Posts: 386
    my complaint would be hesitation and harsh ride. talked to my dealer and he told to bring it in.After taking a test ride with the shop forman he explained it was becouse of the drive by wire system.

To quote my previous post #1416 responding to someone who drove a demo LS and described a "dead spot" on the gas pedal:

"When I first got my '05, I noticed not what I would call a dead spot in the pedal, but there was a definite hesitation when I first gave it gas. I wonder if that was what you were experiencing?

This has been attributed to a problem in the programming of the transmission/engine interface. There is reportedly a TSB (00604) describing a re-programming fix for the issue. But interestingly, after driving my car for a couple of weeks, the issue went away in my case and has not come back, so I never took it in for the re-programming. Apparently, the transmission "learns" the driver's style and can adapt in some cases; in other cases, it takes a re-programming. It's possible that the demo you drove was either brand new or had "adapted" to a driver's style that was incompatible with your style.

I have seen posts in other places by people who had the re-programming done and found the problem resolved. "

A bunch of people posted after this that the re-programming fixed that problem completely.

As to the harsh ride issue, I have the 18" tires and so far I have decided to live with the slightly harsher ride in favor of the better handling that comes with the high performance tires. It's definitely a trade-off, but I have been willing to accept it.

But definitely get the re-programming done-- no need to live with that hesitation!
  • rhosterrhoster Posts: 1
    I am a new owner of a 1991 LS400 and seems to have a bit of a problem with the suspension. The car originally had the air suspension, but I believe it has since been changed to traditional struts (I can hear a hissing noise when I get out after parking). The problem is that the rear suspension seems to be locked into place with no give which causes a very bumpy ride as well causing the bottom to scrape against the ground when going down or up a steep hill. Has anyone experienced anything like this? And, does anyone know what it would cost, ballpark, to get something like this replaced or fixed? Thanks
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    You can replace your air bags with conversion kits for about $200 a wheel. But your Lexus will then ride like a 63 Apache pickup with bad leaf springs. (Some may disagree, but that's my opinion). What's the point of having a Lexus? Get an Avalon if you're going to strip out the luxury items of the Lexus, IMO. My friend converted his, and I hate the ride now. Just hate it.