Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• You would prefer a GM product to a Lexus? Are you out of your mind or just a moron? I would never go back to a so-called American made car again... That is right I said so called, where do you think GM builds their cars since Clinton signed the NAFTA agreement? Canada and Mexico, that is where... A friend bought a 2003 Dodge Ram, when he read the sticker it stated "Final Assembly Country was Mexico"… My father has a 2002 Cadillac DTS with only 39,000 miles on it, and it has been in and out of the service dept. every other month since he bought it, the latest problem was to have the celebrated “Cadillac NorthStar” engine totally replaced, thank god for extended warranties (less the deductible, of course)… Another friend has a 2002 Oldsmobile Aurora that cannot seem to spend more then 3 week’s in a row out of the service dept., those GM technicians still can’t seem to find the problem, but GM has no problem collecting that $100.00 warranty deductible every time that car rolls into service... More then half the GM and Ford lines are built in Canada or Mexico with Mexican and Japanese parts, so what is the difference... I have owned Buicks, Oldsmobile’s (GM’s cheaper version of a Buick that went under), Pontiacs, Cadillac’s, Fords, Mercury’s, Dodges, and Chryslers... I currently own three Lexus' a 1994 LS400, a 2001 LS430, & my wife’s 2005 RX330... My 94' has 160,000 miles on it and runs like its brand new; it still has the original shocks and struts on it... The only major problem I had with that car was the Alternator at 105,000 miles and the starter at 150,000 miles... I can’t think of a single GM vehicle that can hold up like that... My 01' has 38,000 on it and all I need is the Navigation upgrade, and it is under bumper-to-bumper warranty until 2010... My wife’s car was a service loaner with only 10,000 miles, and came with a bumper-to-bumper warranty good until 2011 or 100,000 miles, being a dealer car I knew it was maintained... Can't think of any American car with a warranty like that unless you paid top dollar for the warranty... Anytime you want to compare your Canadian, Mexican, Japanese, & whatever else mongoloid American car to my three Lexus' for cost, reliability, maintenance or whatever just let me know... Oh and by the way, the Japanese auto manufactures are now building some of their vehicles here in the U.S. and putting Americans back to work… The same Americans that GM, Ford, & Chrysler abandoned and put in the unemployment line when they closed the plants and moved production to Canada and Mexico for cheaper labor in order to bring in larger profits… I guess they followed GE’s lead… Complain to the government that the cost to produce in the U.S. is to much and that it can be produced cheaper somewhere else, okay they’re allowed to produce it cheaper elsewhere and the retail prices stay the same or go higher…
  • rdrrrdrr Posts: 20
    Reply to expoguy....The reason GM cars are produced in Canada is because of their build quality. They have won many awards. So they are not built in Canada because of cheap labor. What is killing GM, Ford and Chrylser is the cost of the pension and benifits paid to employees. The North American manufactures all made the mistake of giving in to union high demands. I believe the employees deserve a fair wage and benifits but there is a limit. They will now pay the price. I think Japaneese built cars are over rated they have there problems also, read other boards. Go to Mazda3 and Mazda5 forum here and see what problems they are having. But wait Ford does own about 30% of Mazda.
    I own a 1988 GMC pick up with 170,000 miles and not one problem.The engine, trans, rear end, bearings, carb, front end all original and never touched or worked on. Starts every time and idles smoothly and never let me down. Can't say the same for my 2005 Mazda3 with 10,000 miles. A/C sucks, squeaky brakes, wipers that don't clean the windshield properly(can't even get that right), automatic hard shift from 1 to 2, suspension groans, rough idle, headlights poor depth, many reports of stalling, hestitation, cutting out while driving, headlights not coming on, and a long TSB list for the 04 model year. Maybe a 05 Chevy Malibu might have been a better buy? or a Corolla or Civic?
  • molexmolex Posts: 12
    I HAVE A LEX LS430 UNDER 20K MILES. GREAT SMOOTH RIDIN CAR. I HAVE THE ULTRA PAK SO ITS JUST LOADED WITH FEATURES. MY MANUFACTURE WARRANTY IS UP AND ONLY HAVE THE POWERTRAIN WARRANTY IN EFFECT. DO I NEED SOME KIND OF EXTENDED WARRANTY OR I SHOULDNT WORRY ABOUT IT?? HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED ANY PROBLENS?
  • What mileage can I expect from my 2002 LS430 before I need to replace the brake pads. Do mostly highway driving and am easy on the pedal.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    I also had a 2000 Chevy Silverado....Spent it's first 3 months I had it in the shop. New throttle body, brakes, paint, etc...Traded it in 8 months with 6000 miles and took a $5k hit in depreciation.

Other hand...Bought a 2003 Civic SI for $16,200. It spent one day in the shop for a fuel tank sender problem at 24K and 2 months ago at 45K I got rid of it for $12.5K at Carmax. Now to be honest I got rid of it because some say there is a problem with the steering rack in some lowered SI's (which mine was) I got much more use out of my money with the Honda.

My 1994 LS400 is solid as a tank at 127K. I'm sorry, I have bought over 30 cars in the last 12 years and my Silverado spent more time in the shop for non-maintenance repairs than all others combined. Considering most of those 30 cars were Hondas or Toyotas with over 100k, that's significant.

Needless to say, I would find it hard to go GM again.
    IS THERE ANY DEFECTS IN DA 01 LS THAT ANYONE KNOWS ABOUT! IS THERE ANYTHING ANYONE COULD RECOMMEND FOR MAINTENANCE ON THE 01 LS LIKE FOR EXAMPLE USING FULLY SYNTHETIC OIL THAN REGULAR OIL. IS MOBILE ONE OIL REALLY BEST FOR THE ENGINE? ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE GREAT!!!ITS BEEN SMOOTH SAILIN SO FAR AND JUST WANT 2 KEEP IT THAT WAY BUT OF COURSE IM TAKIN AT EARLY MILEAGE!
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    My opinion is, if you can afford the warranty upgrade, you can afford a repair. I wouldn't bother, just keep your LS up well, it'll be finel until at least 2010.
  • bildowbildow Posts: 100
    It's ok to run synthetic oil and mobil one is just great, I use the new 15000 mile mobil one and change it every 10,000 to 12,000 miles. If you drive lots of short distance miles change it every 8,000 miles. Remember to change your transmission oil every 25,000 miles and power steering at the same time. Only use the lexus trans oil due to special additives for smooth shifts. By the way if you plan to put a lot miles on your lexus it's common to see 300,000 to 400,000 miles on a lexus. Dont forget to change your radiator fluid every 2 years or if you use the newer type of antifreeze every 3-4 years. You take care of your lexus and it will take care of you!!!! ;)
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I plan on using fully synthetic and changing it every 5000 miles so I probably wont have any problems (knock on wood)Does anyone have the Ultra Pak Lex. HOw do I work the frig without having the ac on? If Im not mistaken it works with the ac according to the manual. I havent really played with it. The 430 is equipped with so many options that it takes time to get familiar with it. 6 months and still trying to figure stuff out.
    I don't think you can run the fridge without the A/C on - that's how it's switched. Can't override it.
  • I have a 2003 LS430 that I purchased used from a Lexus dealer. Since I have owned it---two years---I have used only Amsoil 5w-30 100% synthetic oil in my car. I have the oil changed by my Lexus dealer every 7,500 miles. I also use only the Amsoil oil filters. My dealer agrees with my choice of oils and the interval. Very happy so far!!
    First time Ive heard of Amsoil. How many miles u got on the 430. Im going to look into amsoil a lil more. I plan on changing my oil every 5000 and using fully synthetic 5w30 mobile 1. I dont think Id be comfortable changing the oil every 7500.IVE only did one oil change and Im debating how Im going 2 go about it...Can u give me some feedback.
    I guess no Cold drinks in the winter time!
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Actually you would be wrong. Unless the OAT drops down to or below freezing all Toyota/Lexus with automatic climate controls operate the A/C compressors all year around.

You could turn it off manually but unless you have the dealer change the factory c-best settings it will still operate, with no indication to you, in defrost/defog/demist mode, sometimes to your detriment.
    I have been using Amsoil for about 15 years and I change it at 12000 miles no problems. I also use the Amsoil filters as the last person said I am also using the Amsoil synthetic transmission oil in my Lexus and 2006 camry it does meet the type 4 requirements that Lexus and Toyota require. I also use it in my power steering using the Synthetic Transmission oil it works just fine. Something of interest Mercedes and BMW and Porches uses synthetic in all their trans motors power steering and they go to 15000 miles on the motor before changing the motor oil check it out with the dealers. Ams Oil is great for cold weather starts and hot climates protecting the motor. :shades:
    Well, you could keep the cold drinks in the trunk, maybe....

BMW has you change the oil every 15,000 miles, with synthetic oil. I doubt that would be a problem for your Lexus either. But, OTOH, it never hurts to change the oil.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Not just any synthetic oil, mobil 1, ONLY!

AMSOIL... aren't those the guys that tried to sell us on using toilet paper rolls as oil filters back years ago?

How can we ever be sure that isn't simply re-refined waste oil passed through a deodorant saturated toilet paper roll?
    Something to think about and it wasn't AMSOIL on the toilet paper and I can't remember who the company was. Any synthetic oil such as Amsoil, mobil 1, eos, royal purple, redline,
    shell, vavoline,quaker state and 20 others are all good oils to put in your car. believe it or not it actually helps the engine last longer increase a little gas mileage . :shades:
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    But don't German cars have larger oil pans too. That would support the longer intervals.
    Yes they do and Amsoil and Mobil 1 both say change the oil at 15000 miles they don't say what car. My toyota camrys have gone 300,000 plus miles and when I took apart the engine for valve guide stems the engine looked new. About 3 years ago Mobil 1 had a story about BMW taking 4 1990 325's and running them on a test bed for 1 million miles and when they tore down the engines there was hardly any engine wear, all Jets through out the world use synthetic oil to keep the engines running, regular oil would destroy them. I think all car will soon becoming from the factory with some brand of synthetic oil and go 10-15000 miles as normal including Japanese cars. :P