Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac G6- Water leak

Comments

• So did anyone take their car in and figure out the issue? We lifted the backseat up and the padding is soaking wet underneath the seat? What the ????? Who built this car??? Why would they put water drain tubes towards the backseats? Luckily I have no kids - yet or anyone to ride in the backseat anyways but it's starting to smell back there. So for now, I am riding around with a shoebox prompt up my backseat. Yeah...real ghetto style like! Gggrrr.... I am hesitant to take it to dealer cuz its not under warranty anymore. I almost have 50,000 miles on it now. Should I take a hair dryer to it? It doesn't seem to be drying. My dealership told me there is no recall notice out on my car. Did some redneck GM employees put my car together and route the drainage pipes to the backseat as a joke!? I mean seriously!! Guess I can save myself a bath in the mornings...I can just bathe in my car on the way to work!
  • I just had this same problem happen to me on my 2008 g6. The only reason I knew something was wrong was because my windows kept fogging up. I had my car into GM several times before my warranty expired and they said nothing was wrong (in fact, they told me that it was because my hair was wet) My car just hit 52,000 miles on it and is no longer under warrenty. I took the car in one last time and the figured out that the ac was draining back into the car. They tried to charge me $120 to partially dry the foam and carpet and seal the leak. I had to drive around for 3 days with my carpet up and airing out. Plus my car really stunk like mold. I let GM have it and they ended up not charging me for the repair. My advice is to call the GM Corp. office and file a complaint. They will listen!
  • Hey, I have a 2005 and rain poured through the light by the rear view mirror then all was calm for a couple years later then last year we noticed the rear floor soaking wet. I had no idea what was going on until I found this site. I'll have to follow up with corporate, I agree they should have a recall after reading these posts! We've had the back carpet cleaned but it still smells and we do have a child. We're concerned about mold under the carpet on the padding. We're not sure how to pull the carpet up in the back seat, any tips? Thank you.
  • dlinerdliner Posts: 6
    edited June 2011
    Mine is also a 2005 G6 and I have read 100's of postings regarding the leaking sunroof or moonroof but yours is the only one I've read that sounds identical to how mine is leaking. Mine also poured down from the light by the rear view mirror. I have pulled the head liner down and by the time I got that far, I could see the drain tubes but are in a very tight area, I couldn't tell whether or not they were disconnected as I ran out of daylight, so I put it back together. The last rain, we vacuumed 8 gallons of water from the back passenger floor board. Seatbelts and seats were also damp. The moldy smell and the stained seats are terrible.I took mine to Classic Chevrolet in Arlington, TX and they kept it overnight claiming they ran water over the car and it never leaked. Famous saying from these idiots, if it doesn't do it while we have it, we don't know where the problem is. I'm curious if you have been able to fix yours since it seems to be identical to my leak and if so, what did you end up doing?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,134
    dliner,

Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • dlinerdliner Posts: 6
    Caron,
    I sent the VIN to gmcustsvc
  • danine35danine35 Posts: 2
    About 1yr & 1/2 after I got the car (purchased brand new) it was raining and when I braked water came pouring in through the light by the rear view mirror, sunroof button and also along the passenger side down the front windshield inside the car - took the car in to have it checked and they said the drains from the sunroof were clogged. Then was fine for a couple years. Now, its not only leaking through the light again and down the windshield - my passenger backseat floor is soaked AND the front passenger floor - i don't know where the leak comes from in the back seat but in the front passenger - I can see it pour in from under the glove box near the passenger door - I have checked the door itself and its not coming in through the door and the seals but from under the glove box. So not sure what the problem is - and the car isn't under warranty (but when the drains were fixed the first time that wasn't covered by warranty which wasnt cheap.) - Obviously, this is a defect with the car - so why is this not a recall problem? And it should be fixed for free, cause since this has been "fixed" once before, it will probably cost even more this time around. - frustrating!
    danine35,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. The first time you had the vehicle fixed, was it fixed at a GM dealership?

Thank you,
  • danine35danine35 Posts: 2
    Caron,
    Yes, it was - took it where it was bought the first time (pontiac dealership...and since pontiac is no longer, its now a Kia dealership)
    danine35,

I would encourage you to take the vehicle in to a GM dealership. Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
  • My 2007 with a sunroof leaks water from the front seat lights and the back seat lights, not only when it rains really hard, but also when I run it through a car wash! I took it to the dealership I bought it at and they said they couldn't find a leak at all! Its so annoying and with all the other problems I've had with this car and the other Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible, I'm not surprised that Pontiac wasn't selling any cars.
    brittni629,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Was the selling dealer a GM dealership?

Thank you,
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 873
    edited June 2011
    Disconnected sun roof drain lines has been a problem, drain lines need to be reconnected. Maybe extension added, been reported too short.

If GM was smart they would recall for customer satisfaction, but.
  • mskrockmskrock Posts: 2
    Hey all,
    i bought my 05 G6 a year ago but am just now having this water problem. After a hard rain, the backseat passenger floor becomes wet, all other areas of the car feel dry. i noticed this about 2 weeks ago and yesterday i noticed a small puddle near the rear door after a late night storm. The windows were fully up and doors were closed (i've become paranoid since the first time this has happened). My problem sounds similar to the drainage of the a/c in previous posts. Does anyone agree with this or should i look elsewhere? i want to get this fixed before it becomes a bigger issue.
  • I have a 2007 Pontiac G6 sedan. We have water coming in around the switch for the sun roof and also it looks like it is coming in by the front passenger heater duct. Can both of these areas be from the sunroof drains, or is the one on the floor something else? We have not been running the A/C. I have already removed the hood cowl and everything under that was clear.
  • Where can I find information on how to repair this myself. The repair manual I have doesn't even make mention of the drains.
    Google, lots there.
  • michaelamosh1michaelamosh1 Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    I own a 2005 pontiac G6. The other day when i was leaving to go to work i noticed my front and back passenger side floor was flooded. I was told to check my drain tubes from the sun roof and one of them was disconnected. I reconnected it and everything was fine for my front passenger side floor. I had my A/C blasting on the floor to try to dry the carpet out more and when i got home i noticed that the back passenger side floor was even more wet than before. It has to be the A/C. Is there a way of fixing it without going to the dealership? I noticed alot of similar problems and someone said something about getting a rubber piece for the drain? can someone help me please! :cry: :cry: :cry:
    mskrock,

Were you planning on taking the vehicle into your local dealership to be diagnosed? Please keep me posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
  • teddyj1teddyj1 Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Pontiac G6 with water leaking through the moonroof controls and down the passenger door. I didn't know what it was until I googled it and found many others with the same problem. It seems like this has been happening since 2005. Why does it take so long for GM to fix a problem! Why is there no recall on this yet! American made garbage!!! :mad:
  • mskrockmskrock Posts: 2
    I plan on taking it to a dealership as this has happened twice in a month and I do not want my carpet to mold or mildew. This sucks! (for lack of a better term)
    teddyj1,

I apologize for the problem you are experiencing with your vehicle. Were you planning on taking the vehicle to the dealership? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    mskrock,

I understand. Please keep me posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
  • teddyj1teddyj1 Posts: 2
    I checked with the local dealership, they scheduled me to come in this coming Saturday then they called for the vin # and said there are no cases open for that year. If I brought it in nothing would be covered and I would have to pay out of pocket. I spent almost 28k for this car that is falling apart in a few years! I shouldn't have to pay for GM's screw up.. :lemon:
    teddyj1,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

The vehicle will need to have been diagnosed by a GM dealership within the past 30 days.

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
  • jstinya2jstinya2 Posts: 2
    I bought my 2007 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe last Monday and when I took it for a wash, I noticed water leaking inside my car near both bath windows. Also, it rained really bad yesterday and when I got it my car my seatbelt and carpet was wet and smelled badly. There still is the 5 year or 100,000 manufacture warranty on it but I do not know where to go to get this fixed. I'm sad that I am having this issure already.
    The 5-100 K is power train unless you bought extended. Do you have a sun roof ? If so the drains are unhooked.
  • jstinya2jstinya2 Posts: 2
    Yes, I have a sun roof. I will make sure I let the dealership know this when I take it in on Monday. Thank you. I really hope this fixes it. My carpet smells.
  • I AM HAVING THIS PROBLEM ONLY AFTER HAVING MY 2008 G6 FOR ONE YEAR.
    I AM SCHEDULED TO HAVE MY CAR DONE FOR ITS SIX MONTH INSPECTION, I WILL BRING THAT TO THEIR ATTENTION AND IF THEY BLOW ME OFF I WILL CONTACT COOPERATE OFFICE. I HAVE SPENT ALOT OF MONEY TO KEEP THE CARPET DRY IN THAT ONE SPOT. IT DOES CAUSE AN AWFUL SMELL AND I HAVE BROUGHT EVERY CAR AIR FRESHER ON THE MARKET. BAD CHOICE OF MAKE AND MODEL.
    southern96,
    Please let me know how things go at the dealer. I apologize for your frustrations. I look forward to your update.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service