Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6- Water leak

Comments

• amscottamscott Member Posts: 9
    I have an '07 and I took my car to the dealer a few years ago. They said they fixed the sunroof issue but I haven't had my back seat in my car for over a week now. I had to remove my back seat because the padding under the seat is soaked, and my back seat itself is wet. My car stinks so bad no one wants to drive in my car. It's always wet...I'm allergic to mold, so if there is now mold in the car, it's making me sick. I always sneeze when I get in my car so I'm assuming it's mold. I'm so frustrated I just want this problem fixed and I can't afford $400 to take it to the dealer again for NOTHING to be done. I refuse to do it. I can't afford a new car... this really stinks.. I regret buying this car.
  • pontiac7914pontiac7914 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same issue. I have an 2007 G6 GT and after we had a big rain storm the next morning I went out to my car to find the middle of my passenger side floor mat was soaking wet and so were papers that were on the floor. There were no windows left open. There was a puddle in the middle of the front passenger side floor . After seeing all the posts I can see Im not the only having issues like this.
  • pixiewings7pixiewings7 Member Posts: 4
    I was able to fix mine for free. Took about an hour. If you would like to email me at pixie12806@cox.net, I would be glad to try to put together some pics of how I did it?
  • pixiewings7pixiewings7 Member Posts: 4
    I was able to fix mine for free. Took about an hour. If you would like to email me at pixie12806@cox.net, I would be glad to try to put together some pics of how I did it?
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    pontiac7914,

We're sorry to hear that you've had a leak in your G6; if we can look into anything for you please don't hesitate to get in touch with us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and your contact information).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I took my car to a body shop because you can't trust the dealers. They like to up sell when there is nothing wrong. Go for an oil change and they sell you brakes. Get the brakes and they sell you a battery..they are a total rip off. It actually turned out to be the AC unit as some of the other people on the forum mentioned. GM says they can't help me unless I take it to a dealer. So now I have no choice but to take it to a dealer who is going to "rape" me on the cost charging me $100 per hour… If it doesn't get fixed for free I'm filing a class action suit. I'm sure there are enough people on this site who will join me.
    I have had this problem since the day I bought the car. I took mine to the dealer and they said they "fixed" a leak in the sunroof but it never stopped leaking…2 1/2 years later the mildew is so bad I can't even drive the car.. Mine is in a body shop now and they took my entire car apart and found it to be coming from the front AC condenser behind the dashboard. To fix this the entire car needs to be taken apart to get to the unit. My entire passenger side floor is saturated and I have no choice but to take it to the dealer if I want GM to assist… they have you over a barrel otherwise they say they can't help you. They are the biggest scam ever. I'm thinking of filing a class action suit because the issue in my '07 G6 has never been fixed and I can't afford to keep taking it to the dealer.
    I'm still getting the runaround from GM. I had the roof "fixed"in Dec 2009 and cost me about $400 to reattach the drain tubes… it never stopped leaking.. I don't have the money to keep bringing it to the dealer… GM won't pay.. I'm trying to escalate it, they don't care… they keep saying no.. the dealer wants to charge $700 for the extension tube kit… needless to say, I've called my lawyer this morning to see what legal action can be taken. I think we need a class action lawsuit if they aren't going to issue a recall, then we all need to get together on this and force GM to fix these issues…
  • dlinerdliner Member Posts: 6
    I totally agree with AMScott and will join you on your efforts. My understanding is that the leak is not a safety hazard and therefore does not qualify for a recall. I totally disagree as in my case while driving in a pretty good down pour, water all if a sudden started pouring in from the interior light fixture between the two visors. This was of course totally unexpected and scared the crap out of me causing me to run off the road a bit. I wasn't hurt but had I swerved to the left instead, it would have caused a head-on. Keep me posted.
    And in my case, I am allergic to mold, so every time I try to drive my car now, I have sneezing fits, which of course cause you to close your eyes when you sneeze. AS if driving in a car filled with mold is not a hazard, sneezing while driving is.. Needless to say, I called my lawyer yesterday, and am waiting for a call back. While on the phone with one of the GM supervisors, I specifically asked her "so GM knew this was a problem from 2005-2009 and is refusing to take responsibility for the issue" and she responded yes they were denying to take responsibility. I about lost it… I asked her again just to make sure I heard it right… and she said the same thing… so I'm waiting for a call from my lawyer to get the ball rolling. it will only take a few of us and I hope at least a few of you will join me if I can get this moving. We need our cars fixed and some of our money back for those of us who have already paid into this issue with no resolution. I"m so angry…I will never buy GM as long as I live and you can bet I will stop ANYONE I come across thinking about buying a GM car.
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    Use the lawyer money to have a independent repair shop do the extensions.
    You will then get results.
    If mine leaked, I would just repair myself, the instructions are online.
    WEll, first off, I'm a girl, so I don't do car repairs myself. :-)

Secondly, I have an excellent auto body guy who will probably be the one to do the repairs depending on what my attorney says, and how we choose to proceed.

But most importantly, GM should be held responsible for fraudulently marketing this product from '05-'09 and selling it to unsuspecting customers who trusted them. It is a manufacturer defect which they were aware of and they are the ones that need to be held responsible, not the people who purchased the defective merchandise. IN a class action suit, the lawyers don't get paid until there is a settlement so it won't cost me anything… we get our cars fixed and GM pays for the damages as they should have done all along. They should not make people sue them, they should make good on something they never should have been selling in the first place. It is a real shame that GM is this pathetic. Look how many suits are against them in general. I googled it, and they have plenty of people suing them for the garbage they sell. They just don't want to make good on any of their defective merchandise.
    Good luck on your class action suit, let see 1-2 years to get done, maybe.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    What you say is true; however, lawyers don't just take on any old lawsuit - they only take the ones they believe they have a good chance of winning. This one would likely be un-winnable due to the bankruptcy protection GM received.

Additionally, as gonogo mentioned, lawsuits generally take years to resolve and frequently do not get resolved to the benefit of the consumer.

Reporting your issue to the NHTSA at www.safercar.gov is a good idea.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Thanks for the info I'm going to report the issue to everyone and anyone that I can. Even if I have to call the news media… It doesn't do me any harm to make everyone aware..
    and lawyers will take any case they believe they can get paid on. I'm sure there are loop holes somewhere… GM is not bankrupt, they are still responsible to handle warranty and safety issues of the cars that were manufactured under the GM name even if the Pontiac division went out of business, GM didn't.
    It only takes a few people to get the ball rolling… I don't have the money to make over $1,000 worth of repairs myself.. replacing the moldy carpet, paying for their labor charges, etc. They should be held responsible. I'll do what I can...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    GM is not bankrupt, they are still responsible to handle warranty and safety issues of the cars that were manufactured under the GM name even if the Pontiac division went out of business, GM didn't.

I'm sure an attorney can give you more complete information on this; however, the statement quoted above is untrue, legally, even if ethically you are correct.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ralkaralka Member Posts: 72
    most of the time this issue can be resolved for under $200.00 without the extension tubes. it takes about an hour and a half.
    WEll the GM dealer quoted me $700 to install the extension tubes, so if you can tell me how to fix it that would be great… since it was raining inside my car yesterday.

:-(
  • deonnahelpmedeonnahelpme Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2012
    HI IM ALSO A VICTOM TO PONTIAC G6 LEMMON,I HAVE BEEN GOING THROUGH ALL THESE POST ALL NIGHT,AND IT IS VERY SAD THAT A AMERICAN MADE CAR COMPANY WOULD RIP OFF THE AMERICAN CUSTOMERS.WERE DO I START I HAVE A 2009 PON.G6.AWEEK AFTER I BOUGHT THE CAR A MOLDIE SMELL CAN THROW THE AC.TOOK THE CAR IN THEY PUT A DEOTERRIZER IN THE UNIT.THEN 2MONTH LATERSAME PROBLEM TOOK CAR IN AND THE SERVICE TEAM GOT WITH THE MANUFACTOR AND PUT IN A NEW UNIT,ALSO REPLACED MY CARPET.WITHIN A WEEK WATER WAS POURING OUT FROM CENTER CONSOLE ON BOTH SIDES.THEY THEN STATED THEY FIXED THE PROBLEM.AND TOLD ME THE AC UNIT SLIPED AND CAUSED THE LEAKING..WELL SEASONS DO CHANGE IN THE WINTER NO PROBLEM..WELL SUMMER COMES ALONG SAME PROBLEM TAKE THE CAR IN THEY DO SOME ADJUDTMENT AND BACK ON THE ROAD.THEN THE SMELL IS BACK NOW MY CAR IS LLEAKING IN MY BACK PASSAGER FLOOR BOARD ...THE SMELL AND MOLD HAS NEVER GONE AWAY..I CAN FEEL THE MOLD GROWING IN MY CAR IT MAKES ME SICK ,MY COWORKERS,FAMILY,FRIENDS&CLIENTS STATE WHAT IS THAT SMELL...I HAVE 37,OO.MILES ON MY CAR I HAVE UP HELD MY PART OF THE CONTRACT NOW IT IS TIME GMC HOLDS UP TO THERE'S IM A VERY DISSATIFIDE CUSTOMER ...THERE IS A LEMMON LAW AND I WILL FIGHT TO GET WHAT I DESERVE I HAVE PAID 15.000 ALREADY AND HAVE ALOT MORE TO PAY I WILL NOT BE STUCK WITH A LEMMON AFTER IT IS OVER.. PLEASE HELP ME

OH YEAH IAM GOING TO WALK OVER TO THE BRAKE SHOP TO PICK UP MY CRAMPY CAR IT IS A NIGHTMARE..THEIR IS ALOT MORE WRONG WITH THE CAR BUT I NEED TO PICK UP MY CAR BEFOR NOON.............
    hi i was just wondering if you thought that your leak is coming from your ac unit like mine is. because the ac unit cant be installed properly that they silp inside cause the dranagr to leak all inside your car.keep me poated
    deonna
    Good morning deonnahelpme,

We're sorry to hear about the leak in your Pontiac. If you would like for us to check into this further through Customer Assistance, please email the following information to us at socialmedia@gm.com: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • navy2929navy2929 Member Posts: 2
    Problems with my Pontiac G6, when it rain hard I have water leaking inside the car thru my light fixture. Took the car in to the dealer but could not find any leaks. Took it back home and ran water for about 10 minutes over the sunroof but did find any leaks. Not sure if anyone is having similar problems.

Thanks,

Yvan B
  • navy2929navy2929 Member Posts: 2
    hello navy2929, my pontiac g6 2009 is leaking from the ac unit into my floor board in the back passager side. i first noticed a smell the first week i bought the car in 2009.took the car into the service department and they put this deoderizer in my ac and i was ok for a while.but the smell kept coming back.the dealership put a new ac unit in my car and said it was fixed.well the next couple of day water started pouring out on both sides of the console took it back in and they said they fixed the problem.now the ac is leaking down my console into the back seat it always has water in it and smells like mold.the other day after i turned my car off i noticed water dripping on the out side under the car on the passagers side right were the water is on the inside.it was dripping in 4 places under my car from the ac unit. one of the sales person from the dealership stated it is a manufactor defect and they always have the g6 in their service department...what it is the ac unit can not be installed properly in the car causing it to slip and fall and leak inside the car and everyone thinks it is leaking somewere but its not ..let me know what you find out and i would love to know the year your g6 is and how long you have had it...thanks deonna
    Good morning Yvan,

While it's great that no leaks have been found, we can certainly understand your continued concern. One option may be to get a second opinion - contact us at socialmedia@gm.com if you would like for us to check into this further with you (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

I would like to know more about this slip and falls blocking the evaporator drain, does not sound right.
    This Service Bulletin from GM water on front and rear floor, AC drain needs modification. GM knows all about it.
    Yes my dealership knows all about mine since 2009 when I bought it brand new with 16 miles on it. One week later I took my car in with a mold smell coming from ac unit and 3 years later they still are unable to fix the problem. And after doing research the issue has been going on since 2005-2009 and they have continued to make a defective product my allergies are serious and mold can make people very sick and even death. Please enlighten me and hundreds thousand other consumers that buy American made products. Deonna
    It's inexcusable that they can't get the evaporator drain to work properly after all this time, it's not rocket science.
  • maddog0324maddog0324 Member Posts: 55
    For the mold smell coming from the a/c (out of the vents), have the dealer activate the "blow after" feature on the HVAC controller. I had it done to my "08 G6 in 2010 and have not had the moldy smell since.
  • toddr6toddr6 Member Posts: 1
    I have seen numerous posts about water leaks, and mine has just shown up. I bought this 2008 G6 this spring (no sunroof). I park on a slope and noticed a month ago an inch of water in the back passenger side back floor area. I assumed my daughter spilled water, but she said no. I cleaned it up, and within a day or two it was back. I have battled it and my mechanic says mechanically it looks fine, the A/C appears to drain properly. I live in Tampa so we get constant rain and am always using the A/C so I do not know where it could be coming from. The other night it was parked out and we got inches of rain, I expected it to be flooded and there was not any water in the car.

I want to find out if this is a known problem that will be fixed by a dealer for no charge. I just turned over 38,000 miles...

Any tips from those who have been through this?
    Thanks!
    Todd
  • ralkaralka Member Posts: 72
    the issue for the rear sunroof tubes is that they have to much tension at the rear of the sunroof drain tray . this causes the tubes to pull loose from the tray extensions. the fix ( without the extension tubes ) is to lower the rear of the headliner, loosen the mounting clips for the rear tubes but only the first 3 on either side. than you pull the tube up about an inch to an inch and a half, there will be some resistance but you will feel it break free. after that you reattach it to the tray extensions and reinstall the trim. if you put the extension tubes in it takes a little longer and you must be sure that they are clamped together.
    hope this helps... $700.00 is a lot for this repair
    Hello Todd,

We're sorry to hear that you've been having some water troubles with your G6. If you decide to have this looked into by your dealership, please be sure to let us know as we're available to help in any way we can. We can be reached privately at socialmedia@gm.com

• bjt2032bjt2032 Member Posts: 1
    I have two of these and one is now leaking badly everytime it rains. It took me a while to find this forum but it appears there are hundreds of these complaints. Mine is not the AC unit as some describe. Mine is leaking at the front dome light and somehow getting down to the rear passenger floorboard, (also a common symptom). I've read about the drain tubes coming loose and frankly it sounds like a hassle. Anytime you take a headliner out, you are asking for trouble getting it back in correctly or breaking some cheap clip they use.
    I'm curious if anyone got a POSITIVE response from anyone at GM? I see someone named Sarah from GM responds frequently. Did GM cover this "known issue" and if not whos starting the suit? sign me up. My carpets have started the mold process and I'm less than pleased that I have 2 of these cars to deal with.
    Good morning bjt2032,

We understand that this leak would be very frustrating; if you would like for us to check into this with you and your dealership (should you decide you'd like to go that route), please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

• lego78lego78 Member Posts: 4
    My dealership did find that the drain tubes came undone. The first time, they just re connected them. A few weeks later, it came undone again. However, GM has a one year or 12,000 mile warrenty on things they fix. When it came apart the 2nd time, they put an extension kit on it with no charge. I have had them take my headliner off twice and it looks just fine. Remember, if they break something, they have to fix it on their dime. My dealership is really good and willing to help out. I would follow up with GM, they will probably give you a service number. Call around to certified GM dealerships in your area, and get a price for your issue and go from there. Good Luck!
  • amp7amp7 Member Posts: 2
    07 Pontiac G6 GTP with moonroof. First, I noticed humidity and moldy smell. Months later, I noticed dampness on the front driver seat floor. Soon thereafter, after heavy rain, water pooled on the back passenger-side floor. I cleaned it with a towel and blow dried the area. I removed the back seat. The liner was soaked; the foam under the seat was soaked & moldy. I removed the seat permanently and blow dried that area. However, parking on a hill so that the front is higher than the rear causes more water to collect in that area, as the car sits in dry weather over the course of one day.

I have not detected water around the front dash, moonroof, overhead lights, or walls of the car. There was one day which my passenger reported moisture on his seatbelt. Also, there was one day my CD refused to play. ~3/5 CDs which I ejected had moisture on their underside.

If this makes sense to anyone, please advise!
  • amp7amp7 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2012
    Hello all you frustrated lemon owners out there:
    I am by no means an expert. Here is a summary/ collection of useful posts I've seen on this forum. Hopefully, it saves someone some time. Use the search bar to jump to the original post for more info.

Pro-tip: Check under your rear seat and take it out. It could be soaked underneath. Let it drip dry outside then bring it in and place the foam side in front of a dehumidifier. If the foam is really moldy, put on a mask and cut a thin layer of the foam off using scissors. And/or you can also try cleaning it with a carpet steam cleaner. Bleaching is ideal in order to kill the mold. Mold can cause illness so do wear a mask, clean up the shavings, and don't procrastinate solving the route of the problem.

#1 cause:
    The drain tubes coming from the moon roof going to the back of the wheel wells get disconnected, possibly under the roof liner. Forums say that the tubes are too short so they get disconnected easily. Then water drains inside the frame of the car, into the interior, commonly the rear back seat. They charge $900-1000 at the dealer to take everything apart and put it back together, which doesn't solve the problem. $400 for drain tubes or $700 for an extension tube kit (at the dealer). Some say that $200 can get the tubes replaced at a body shop. A few have tried the do-it-yourself path:

DIY FIX 1A:
    "the issue for the rear sunroof tubes is that they have to much tension at the rear of the sunroof drain tray . this causes the tubes to pull loose from the tray extensions. the fix ( without the extension tubes ) is to lower the rear of the headliner, loosen the mounting clips for the rear tubes but only the first 3 on either side. than you pull the tube up about an inch to an inch and a half, there will be some resistance but you will feel it break free. after that you reattach it to the tray extensions and reinstall the trim. if you put the extension tubes in it takes a little longer and you must be sure that they are clamped together." -Message #189, ralka. Also see #35, #24.

DIY FIX 1B:
    "i took my Pontiac to the GM dealership and they wanted $900 to fix it... so today i took the headliner down (which is actually pretty easy i must say) and found out that both draining tubes were disconnected... so i reconnected the tubes using a PVC glue (very strong) around the outside and waited till it was dry... then ran water down the tubes and drained successfully down and out the back end... and put the headliner back in... connected very easily. i then took out the back seat and found that it smelled... so i took the seat out and the liner... and i plan to shampoo and sanitize the seats and the carpets... cheaper then $900!" -Message #75, bess15.

#2 cause: A/C lines (?) or front AC condenser behind the dashboard (?) or evaporator drain (?)

Tip #2A: If the A/C smells like mold, tell the dealer to activate "blow after" feature on HVAC contoller. This eliminates the smell. - Message #187, maddog0324

#3 cause: clogged door drains
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    amp7,

We're sorry to hear about this leaking concern you've encountered with your G6; if you decided upon working with a GM dealership and wanted for us to check into this further with you, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

• lucylou27lucylou27 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Sarah, I am having the previous issue of the water leaking throughout my vehicle Pontiac G6 allover again. Please inform me of who I contact for help with this or how would we petition a recall on this issue, it has occured to way too many customers. My vehicle reaks of mildew from the wet carpet and seat. I am loooking to get rid of this vehicle asap if this issue cannot be resolved and GM cannot step up to it's mistakes. Luz Padilla
    I'm sorry to hear that this problem has resurfaced for you, lucylou27! We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation) if you would like to work with us at Customer Service (would entail working with a dealership).

• bullmoose10bullmoose10 Member Posts: 1
    We have been dealing with this leaking issue for the last 7 months. Took it to the mechanic 3 different times with no solutions. Now having yet another mechanic looking at it with no luck. He says sunroof tubes are fine. Just tired of dealing with water soaking back seat and floor. Any suggestions what we can do?
    bullmoose10,
    Are you working with a GM dealership or a different shop? If the former, and if you would like for us to check into this further with your mechanic, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • rocket350rocket350 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2006 g6 se1. It has no sunroof and I noticed the back seat was wet whenever it rained. I opened the trunk and discovered the sides the trucks floor liner to be wet as well ( by the cargo net area in both sides ). This is just after a quick observation but after looking it seems water is either coming in through the truck hinges or through the tail lights. Has anyone else experienced anything like this all I seem to find is sunroof issues mentioned.
    rocket350,

Sorry to hear that you're having this leaking problem! Do you have a plan of action for getting this checked into?

• jsmith39jsmith39 Member Posts: 1
    So has anyone found any further details about GM and what they are going to about this. My girlfriend has a 2006 Pontiac g6 and the floor in the rear passenger side is always wet. This is ridiculous, they need to recall this problem.
    No, it is very frustrating. GM doesn't make good on ANY of their mechanical issues. I called them several times, and went up to the management level and was told that since I was not a "regular" customer at their GM dealer they would not repair the problem. I wanted to do a class action suit against them.. there are enough people here that would join in, I'm sure.

I also called them about the airbag recall because my car was doing what the recall stated and they told me my car was not one of the VIN# included in the recall… even though my car was doing exactly the same thing. They keep telling me to go to a GM dealer (who charges more than DOUBLE what a normal qualified mechanic charges)… I will NEVER buy GM again.. and I have posted every problem I have had on Facebook for the entire world to see. Hopefully no one will be scammed by GM again.
  • griff21griff21 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue, took the car to my dealer and the Sunroof drain had pulled apart. The mechanic said that they never put the extension tubes in per the TB.
    Called Gm after 3 weeks of NO call backs finally got a supervisor and she stated that it was mine was fixed sometime in Feb 2008. I said that is funny because the dealer could not find in the records were it was fixed, Gm says that after the fix there was a 5 year 40,000 mile warnty on the fix...I asked what date the car was fixed again and after some time she says Feb 4th, I said what was the mileage, again after some time, "it does not show the mileage" I said bulls***, every time you take you car in they record the mileage, even for oil change......She said they still will NOT fix the car. I said well even it was fixed in Feb 08, I brought it in 1st of May 13 and there is only 66,045 miles on the car and I bought in June 08 at almost 28,000 miles, so that means "supposedly" I am 3 months over the 5 years but under the 40,000 miles.........I requested another supervisor call me back!
    This is a load of BULL GM needs to step up and fix these cars and the damage to the rear seat and floor.
  • purduemikepurduemike Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same issue with mine - it's been leaking for about a year now, but I had not idea until the pieces of the puzzle started fitting together. GM should really step up to the plate here and recall / fix these common issue or as anyone else would call them: defects.

I'm extremely disappointed with GM.
  • sodekesodeke Member Posts: 2
    I too am having this problem. I'm at my wits end! First my catalytic convertor goes out, I currently have a recall for the blinkers I need to take it into and this morning I discovered about two or more inches of standing water in drivers floor board and passenger floor board. I sucked out the water but it's smelly and ruined so much stuff! I too have the leaking stream out of my sunroof by the rear view window and now puddles of water. I'm not sure what to do as I know I'm not under warranty.