Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cobalt Transmission Issues

1235»

Comments

• nikkikettnikkikett Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with flutter at low speed and it lurches forward. Service guys act like this is not a Cobalt problem oh but it is because several people have stated the same issue. My car is under warranty until some time in June I hope they figure it out or I will be there every other day. I also have noticed there is a electrical issue with this car. Blinkers and clickers don't work any more nor do the front speakers. I was told to replace the front driver side speaker and all problems will be resolved. Now if they can just figure out what is up with the transmission fluttering and lurching also recently not shifting into the last gear so my rpms are real high.
  • ahodaahoda Posts: 2
    I own a 2006 Cobalt LS, coupe, 5 speed manual, with 75,000 miles. Recently I have been experiencing what I believe to be a transmission/clutch issue. I am a mature adult driver (no hot rodding), however I am the second owner of this vehicle. I am very competent mechanically and have owned many manual trans vehicles, including multiple GM 5 speeds. The following is the issue I am currently experiencing:

When accelerating from a complete stop, the car starts jerking/shaking from 1st to 2nd. I have noticed that it does more so when there is additional weight in the vehicle (i.e. 3 average size adults, rater than just the driver only).

When this happens the whole car shakes and rattles. It doesn't seem to matter what speed the clutch is released/feathered. I have also experimented with different shift patterns and RPM ranges, only minor changes if any? It feels as though the clutch is being 'dumped' in a low RPM, but just enough to keep the car from dying. From a bystander's view it looks as though the driver is first learning to drive.

I am not aware of any other mechanical issues. Also, just to note this doesn't occur when the car is accelerating from a rolling start. Only when there is the initial force to overcome. As I stated it is amplified by extra weight. I do not experience this in any other gears.

I thank you in advanced for your help and I pray (literally) that this doesn't mean I need a new clutch or transmission.
  • Do replace the driver side speaker and that will fix that issue. On the other please read the rest of my posts so you know what to tell the tech when you take your Cobalt back to the service dept. This is a power train issue that should be covered under warranty up to 100k miles. I will also look back at post to find the correct verbage so you know. Do not pay anything for this is a GM problem that I discovered and they will not acknowledge. I will get back to you. Keep the faith!!! I had mine fixed over a year ago after much mcuh research!! :)
  • Please look at post 91. and also read my early post. I will get back with you as well. :)
  • The Torque Converter Clutch [TCC] "Lock-up" sequence can cause problems, to test if the TCC is the problem try this.
    This is a power train issue and is covered under 100k warranty but GM will fix due to faulty issue. Do not pay for this fix. Keep smiling!!!! :)
  • ahodaahoda Posts: 2
    Yes, I have read every post on here. But as far as I know there are no TCC on a manual trans. I may be wrong but can't find any resources that say it does.

Only post #36 come slight close to what I am experiencing. And I believe no one ever answered.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    Hello ahoda,

I'm really sorry to hear about this issue you are having. Could you please send us an email to socialmedia@gm.com. In the email please provide us your name, address, phone number, vehicle identification number, and current mileage.

Thank you,

Jessica L.
    GM Customer Care
  • mine is doing it at 48,000! my cavalier started that at 215,000, so i thought, what the heck the cobalt will be good too! boy was i wrong, the cobalts are junk and the service people lie and say nothing wrong or its a cobalt thing! lemon laws!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    melm1974,

If you would like for us to follow up on your visits to your dealership regarding the transmission concerns you're having on your Cobalt, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

Sarah (Assisting Amber)
    GM Customer Care
  • I have the same issue about my 05 cobalt shuttering between 3-4 and it runs 3-4 rpms if I'm going 40-50 constantly what should I do? I have 111000 miles on it
  • My tranny repair was covered under the 5y/100k power train warranty. If you have ongoing records with your dealership, they may still cover the valve replacement inside the tranny. My dealership worked on my tranny 3 times before they got it right.
  • smchsmch Posts: 1

Well, looks like this is a common problem for Chevrolet Cobalts. I have the same problem with my 2010 Cobalt Vin # 1G1AD5F56A7167702. It is now 68K miles but it started with the revolutions jumping up and down when driving between 35 and 40 MPH more than a year ago. It was probably 58K miles by then. I took the car to Tires Plus for a checkup and they didn’t know what he problem was since no lights or codes were on showing any problem. They suggested to clean the injectors and I did without improving the problem. A few weeks ago I took the car to the Chevrolet Starling Dealer in Kissimmee, FL because the “engine light “ was on so I thought that was the revolutions problem showing up. They said the Code that showed up was PO300 misfire detected and PO301 Cylinder 1 misfire detected. So they repaired the cylinder, the exhausted valves, installed new head gasket . The warranty covered the repair. As soon as I got off the dealer the revolutions started shifting up and down again, so that was not related with the engine light on. I asked for another appointment and they said that it could be electrical or the transmission but I needed to pay either check up because no light is on to go under warranty. So here I am, with a car not driving well and no way to repair until another light comes up. I’m very disappointed with the car, for sure, will never buy a Chevrolet again and would not recommend to anyone. Maybe they are good on trucks but not in cars. The Chevrolet should make a recall if this is happening so often in this model. Not fair that we paid for a good car and we got it with fabric defects. If someone in Chevrolet can help before the warranty expires, would appreciate, so at least I can sell it in good shape and not pass the lemon to another person.

1235»