Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Barrett-Jackson

13»

Comments

• parmparm Posts: 723
    Welcome to the market oddity that is Barrett Jackson. The "blind guy" is Steve Davis. He's not the main Kahuna (that's Craig Jackson), but he is the company president, I believe. Yeah, he does get kind of annoying when bidding stalls at a price that's already 20% above it's value in the real world and he rants, "Folks, here's a very nice car for not much money". I often wonder what color the sky is in his world?
    ·
  • Is he just trying to be cool with the sunglasses? He acts like the typical used car salesman trying to say 50 bucks never killed anybody. I watch B-J for the cars but I just can't believe that these people with money, or credit which is more likely the case, can justify these prices. You can buy a car and off frame it for 1/2 what they are paying. It's crazy. Check this out:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1957-CHEVY-CORVETTE-283-270HP-2X4S-- ORIGINAL-4-SPEED-RED_W0QQitemZ110331479624QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQc- mdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item110331479624&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkp- arms=65%3A13%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

60 k for the same car the idiot paid 98 k plus 10% and shipping for.
    ·
  • 97 K for a 69 Jaguar XKE. These guys are nuts.
    ·
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,881
    I think he may have been the guy last year who said 'You can't pay too much at an auction, there's always someone bidding against you.' Okay.....
    ·
  • berriberri Posts: 4,478
    I don't think Speedvision does a very good job. While the announcers are knowledgeable, there are so many promos, diversions, digressions and ads that I doubt we even see half of the cars being auctioned each hour. Maybe 20 minutes of actual auction each hour?

Also, I swear there are either big gaps, or some shills in the audience because some of these cars take a huge jump all of a sudden. Why would a legitimate buyer go way up rather than bid incrementally to try to minimize his price paid?
    ·
  • Because by in large these are people with more dollars than sense.

I've been watching it over the past few days and it seems that the prices are down alot over the past years. It always seemed that people would go way overboard on some Cuda or Challenger clone and I'm not seeing it this year.
    ·
  • I love Steve "sunglasses" Davis whinning that at 68 k it's not enough an they should bid more. He should keep his used car mouth shut and not interrupt the bidding.
    ·
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 10,193
    last year or maybe the year before, i remember a charger hemi clone going for over 400K.
    why weren't you complaining about that?
    ·
13»
This discussion has been closed.
Barrett-Jackson - Page 3 - Car Forums at Edmunds.com