Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander oil sludge settlement

13»

Comments

• If you key in "Toyota Oil Sludge Class Action Lawsuit" into your search engine you should find some information on the subject. The way I understood it when I read it was that the original owner had 8 years from the original date of purchase or lease to correct the problem so it has now expired. I found the same to be true on our Highlander, the faster you drove, the worse the oil consumption. I know what you mean about loving the Highlander, I really liked ours even though it had the oil problem.
  • I had the exact same issue of excessive oil usage w/ my 2002 highlander at highway speeds in excess of 70mph and no excessive oil usage at city driving. My threads on this issue were listed in #28 and #31 in these excessive oil usage threads on this site.
    In a nutshell, the oil sludge settlement was for 8 years and that has passed but the issue was not oil sludge. Toyota has made new valve covers for these earlier model vehicles that allow the proper oil circulation around the valves. I truly believe this will fix the issue but I don't know that 100% since the last thing they did on my engine was replace both heads and valve covers at the same time and I haven't had the problem since. But I do know for sure that they have new valve cover designs for the earlier highlander models.
  • I agree, I wouldn't call it "oil sludge" either, our Highlander simply burned a lot of oil, smoke out the back tailpipe and all. We no longer have the Toyota but it's good to know they now have a new valve cover design for those earlier models.
  • Yes our 2002 highlander 3.0 was using 1 liter for 200km of highway driving. After reading many internet sites and many posts i put these new valve covers on and the problem is now fixed its been 2 weeks since repair and have traveled over 1000km and oil level hasn't changed Thank you to the internet since i got no where with Toyota.
  • Hey tmmc,

How has the new valve covers been working. I am thinking of purchasing a 2002 Highlander with 3.0L V6 that has a blown #2 valve... The mechanic that worked on the vehicle says it was common for these early year models....
    I can get the Limited edition for $1,500 or maybe less and put a rebuilt in for $3,000. I'm curious to know where I can get the new valve cover designed covers? Do you have a part number...? I see it has been a month and a half already... Still good?
    Thank you for your time.
    Curious to know if anyone else has tried this?
  • My 2002 Toyota Highlander 3.0L V6 has also experienced high oil usage lately. It only has 70,000 miles and Toyota wants to put a short block engine in for the tune of $6000. After reading what others have experienced, it sounds like new valve covers might solve my problem. My non-Toyota mechanic says he noticed I have lost some compression on two out of six valves which really concerns me. My check engine light stays on and the engine idles a bit rough but runs fine when driving. Around town my oil use is normal. When traveling on the highway at speeds of 65mph or more, oil use really goes up. At least a quart every 500 miles. Any advice?
  • jprocjproc Posts: 133
    well I would not put 6k of my money in an 11 year old car-think its time to trade it in
  • See my post from May 2013. I indicated that my 2001 V6 Highlander uses about a quart of oil every 300 miles, but if I keep the speed no faster than 62 miles and hour then my oil use become negligible so I do not need to add any oil between changes. You might try that first. I also had my PCV valve changed as this can cause a vacuum if it gets stuck open at highway speeds that can draw oil into the combustion chamber. I would not change the engine, but I would try low cost ways to improve the oil consumption. I have also gone to a 10W40 weight oil which at the higher high temperature viscosity may also reduce oil consumption. I hope this helps.
13»