Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Acura TSX

hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,311
edited June 6 in Acura
Automotive news reported that the new TSX will be available with Honda's new diesel.

Comments

• The Bluetooth system works well. The microphone is located next to the sunglasses storage bin on the roof. There is a blue LED light indicating it is working. As soon as the car is turned on, it will connect to my phone. When there is an incoming call, the music will stop, and the speaker will sound the ring tone, which is just a regular telephone ring. The call quality is no better or worse than a regular Bluetooth headset.

The car has voice recognition capability, and it can store phone numbers for voice dialing. Some other features and settings are also driven by the voice system. I found myself talking to the car the first day I got it. The voice system can be used for GSP navigation input if the technology package is chosen.

The trip computer can show MPG gas mileage, outside temperature, tire pressure, and engine oil life. It has built-in maintenance service reminder. The trip computer display is inside the speedometer, and the needle for the speedometer looks like floating on the gauge, which looks very cool. There is a lot of technology built into this car. Technology is a strong point for Acura cars, and gadget freaks like me will definitely like this car. Some people are intimidated by the number of buttons in the cabin. I joke to my wife the inside is like a space shuttle cockpit. However, I find all the features very easy to use.

The fuel economy is very good. Combine highway and local driving can have 26 to 27 MPG. Highway driving should be 32 MPG or even higher. This is as efficient as our Honda Civic. It is hard to find such a fuel efficient car in the luxury sedan segment. However, the manufacturer says premium gas is required to achieve the indicated performance. I do not think gas with lower octane level will hurt.

The car we get is the base model of the TSX. It does not have the Technology package, because we do not really need it. Because it is a new model, some Acura dealership do not even want to sell it below the MSRP of $29600 (including $715 destination charge). We cannot negotiate much, so finally we get it for $28700 with free tinted windows ($300 option at the dealership) plus $300 anti-theft option then plus taxes and title. The dealer says the manufacturer is not giving incentives at this moment for them. It is not a bad deal, but next year it probably has a better deal.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the purchase of this car. It meets all of our requirements, offers the comfort and performance we need, and it costs thousands of dollars less than its competitors. This car is a great value offered by Acura. It only costs $2000 over a similar configuration Honda Accord, but it packs a lot more quality material, technology, and style. The design looks cool and sharp both inside and out. I like this car more and more, and eagerly wait for the weekend every week for my turn to drive it.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    any other information available on it? Like what it might look like? And if they will offer a 2-door version this time, as some have speculated they might?

Edit...here is a little bit of info, courtesy of our friends at TOV. Looks like a minor styling update, although I believe those huge chrome door pulls are a departure from the current model, yes?

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=735020

I would like to see this model still have an NA 4-cylinder with a 6MT for a base powertrain, but I am probably the only one?

I am glad Honda will put a 50-state diesel in it when it comes this fall - I hope they get a high enough take rate to offer diesel options in other models too. TOV says there will be a lot more info available on 3-4-08 from the Geneva auto show.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Might want to stop by the Diesel TSX in 08 discussion!
  • otisnjotisnj Posts: 15
    With the arrival of the 2009 TSX in a few months, is it time to create a forum dedicated to the new model?
  • biker4biker4 Posts: 746
    Most of the current discussion points to an updated K24 as the base engine with a 6MT. Dealers are already ordering the TSX with an April 24 debut. The TOV article says a summer availability in Europe but if the past is any indication it will be sooner - in line with US debut. Honda already said the diesel will be available in CY 09 not MY09 - not this fall. And it didn't say the diesel would be in the TSX but in an Acura model - of course the TSX is the obvious choice.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    The word they have been bandying around elsewhere at Edmunds is that Honda specifically said the TSX would be the first model to get the diesel, and IIRC I actually read that someplace too.

As for CY '09 vs MY '09, thanks for the correction. ;-)

I am glad they will still offer an NA 4-cylinder with a 6MT as the base powertrain.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• Any word when the 09s will be in the showrooms?

I am torn between getting an 08 this spring or waiting for the new one.

Thanks!
  • The official on sale date is 4/24. We may see the car in early April, but if Acura follows true to form, we won't have pricing information or powertrain specifics till the car arrives.
  • I have a 2004 TSX and just love it. But am getting in the mood for a new car. The new Lexus IS 250 looks gorgeous. However, I am a Honda man and I can't wait and see what the new TSX will look like. Any chance we will get twin turbos!? Anywhere we can find pics?
  • New spy shots on temple of VTEC....
  • Rumor for the 2009 TSX are saying 2.4L naturally aspirated with about 230-240 hp and the same 164 lb/tq, no sh-awd with the small I-4 engine.

There might be an I-4 turbo diesel in 2009 or 2010 (not an "if" but "when")

There also might be a Turbo 2.3L I-4 and/or V-6 (3.2L?) with sh-awd by 2011.

Also, a coupe and/or convertible were talked about during the 2011 or beyond model years.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I vote for a 4-cylinder turbo diesel wagon (with a 6MT, of course).
  • New pics...

New Euro Accord

Also Google translated:
    translated

I made the white one my screen background. Trying to like it... think I might be starting to like it.
    - white Euro Accord

The car reminds me of a reduced-size version of the 2009 mid-model change Acura RL. I believe the initial engine will be a circa 220 bhp 2.4-liter I-4 engine--possibly the first engine to use Honda's new Advanced VTEC next-generation variable-timing valvetrain technology. Honda will likely introduce the 2.2-liter i-DTEC turbodiesel engine on this car, rated at around 170 bhp but with a very high torque peak.
  • Very cool. First pic i've seen of the TSX, beyond the taped up version that's been floating around for sometime. Any other shots from the side, or back? Where did you manage to find that pic?
  • Jalopnik.com has a larger version of this picture. The vehicle will be officially unveiled at the New York Auto Show next month, shortly after the original version--the European market/Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) Honda Accord--is unveiled at the Geneva Auto Show.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    I don't think you are going to get 230-240 hp out of the n/a 2.4L. My guess is a 10hp increase, at most. Also, it will only by FWD, and no turbo.

Anyone here see a little Toyota Camry in this? High fender flares, headlamps that bulge out. I'm not too crazy with Acura's new "shield" grille.
  • I'm not feeling the new design yet. It might grow on me after the official release in a few months. It does not seem to look that much different from the current North American Accord?

I think my biggest disappointment is only having a NA 2.4L I-4 as the only engine choice until the diesel is ready. We are going to see a lot of threads about 09 TSX -vs- 09 Accord V6. I've checked out the new Accords and they can give the current TSXs (04-08 models) a run for the money on interior looks.

If this is the final look of the 09 TSX, I rather keep my 06 TSX and wait for the all new TL.
  • ballaballa Posts: 5
    Acura released that picture today. This is the first time they have released images of a new vehicle before it's debut. This must be a result of the fallout after the 09 RL was introduced. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it certainly isn't bad looking either, a nice evolutionary design. As far as powertrain options go, that is a big unknown. They may offer an updated 2.4L or they may offer the Turbocharged 2.3L from the RDX with SH-AWD. We will have to wait and see.
  • I'm sure it has more to do with dealer inventories on the 2008s. If dealers have too many cars, they hold the pics to give us time to sell out the current model. Once there are no cars ('08s) left to sell, they need to "freeze" buyers until the car comes out so the show the photo.

I think is is possible that SH and Turbos may come later, but based on what we've ordered, this is not in the cards for Aprils cars.
  • I don't think you are going to get 230-240 hp out of the n/a 2.4L. My guess is a 10hp increase, at most. Also, it will only by FWD, and no turbo.

If Honda can get 240 bhp out of a 2.2-liter I-4 engine (the F22C used on the S2000 sportster), they could easily get around 230 bhp out of a new 2.4-liter I-4, especially if they use the new Advanced VTEC valvetrain that was announced back in the fall of 2006. And unlike the F22C engine, the use of Advanced VTEC means you don't need to rev the engine to high RPM to get decent power.

I personally think the Acura TSX may become the first US-model Honda to use such an engine.
    "unlike the F22C engine, the use of Advanced VTEC means you don't need to rev the engine to high RPM to get decent power."

Doesn't sound like much fun to me.
  • Acura press release with all the info for 2009

l2009 TSX at world.honda.com
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,306
    Not a word about the diesel. Oh well. . .
  • They have already announced the Diesel for 2009..... Ca lander year 2009 which means it will debut for the 2010 TSX in the fall of '09
    Thanks for the link.

Interesting that the press release states an increase in performance, but it looks like all they did was trade 4 HP for 8 lb ft TQ. I'm guessing that we'll see a lower redline in addition to the other minor tweaks (valve timing, compression, etc).

I'm also guessing that the added size and chassis strengthening is going to add weight.

Lower redline, a higher curb weight, and more luxury means the new TSX is following in the footsteps of all the other lux sport sedan manufacturers. I hope I'm wrong...
  • Yeah, well the new Accord didn't get significantly heavier even with the ACE structure (higher % of high strength steel), and I'm hoping the TSX will follow suit. Having said that, I did place our last Arctic blue 6-speed on hold. I need a car in 1 1/2 months when my S2000 lease is up and the '08 might suit me better.
  • As a current TSX '06 6spd owner, I am disappointed with the specs of the new car - mainly in terms of power. I was looking forward to the new TSX dreaming of SH-AWD and 260 plus horses.

If this is a strategy where they will introduce a type s model with the specs I mentioned above later down the road to maintain interest in the model I am not sure if it will pay off. I imagine a lot of TSX owners were waiting for the new TSX to trade up at least in '09 once the first year model gremlins were worked out. These owners might get tempted with other market place offerings...
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Honda can get 240 bhp out of a 2.2-liter I-4 engine (the F22C used on the S2000 sportster), they could easily get around 230 bhp out of a new 2.4-liter I-4, especially if they use the new Advanced VTEC valvetrain that was announced back in the fall of 2006

I'm not saying they can't. I'm saying they won't. Honda does have an issue with not being able to achieve and represent able torque numbers. An S2000 weighs only 2864 lbs, a TSX weighs 3268-3356 lbs depending on what tranny you have. The torque output is not good enough to really get the car going. People that buy a TSX don't want to hang out at 7,000 rpms all day to get power. I have always praised Honda for wonderful hp out of these 4 cyl VTEC engines, but they just produce no torque. In the lux market, you need a more balanced 4 cyl engine, like Audi has in the A4. Yes, I know, it's boosted, but, you can't blame Audi for not taking advantage of the technology available today.
  • garv214garv214 Posts: 162
    I may be a bit late to the party, but I found this article on the TSX

http://www.leftlanenews.com/acura-tsx-future.html
This discussion has been closed.