Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Enclave Leaks When It Rains

Comments

• kristaskristas Posts: 1
    So I just bought a used 2008 Buick Enclave 3 wks ago. While I thought I had done all my homework after our first hard rain I now have leaks on my passenger floor and on the cloth by the passenger window. I also purchased an extended warranty only to find out they do not cover this. This is so frustrating to find out after the fact that my car has leaks! I'm appalled that GM has not owned up to this and realize this is not a sporadic problem! My in laws are retired from GM and I have owned 4 GM cars and this will be the last. What if anything can be done about this ?
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    Good morning kristas,

We're sorry to hear that your Enclave has a leaking issue at the moment. Is your extended warranty a GMPP (General Motors Protection Plan) Service Contract? Which one is it? If we can look into this further for you, please send us more information at socialmedia@gm.com, including your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • My wife and I purchased our 2008 Buick Enclave last year and loved the car until our first heavy rain which resulted in leaking all around the sunroof and into the fuse area. Since then we have had NUMEROUS electrical issues including the car repeatedly shutting systems down while we are driving and leaving us stranded while on vacation. I just picked it up today after 21 days at the dealership and guess what...the passenger floorboard and ceiling were soaking wet!! Yes, it rained last night and in it came. They know that the electrical issues are tied to the water intrusion but cannot seem to stop it. The most annoying part however is how they act so surprised by this as though it were not documented all over the Internet. I have now even seen YouTube videos documenting the leaks and subsequent electrical issues. No Buick dealer should be surprised by this. I am at a loss and after being a loyal customer for many years, I am about done.
  • kimmbokimmbo Posts: 2
    I also had this problem w/ my Enclave when I bought it used. I called our local Dealer service dept (Ron Smith Buick, Merced, Ca) and was advised that the vents located on the roof in front of the sunroof were probably plugged. The two vents are on either side, in front of the sunroof rails, near the windshield. I blew air, from our compressor through the holes to unplug them. No problems since. I hope this helps you.
  • james252,
    We're sorry to read about the leak and electrical problems you've been experiencing with your Enclave. If we can look into this further with you, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with the following information: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

All the best-
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • lalexandralalexandra Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    what a shame..I love this car but now when it rains it leaks and then that sets off some crazy thing in the car that says my emegency brake is on so it makes a loud noise as you are driving down the road. I can hear the water sloshing after a hard rain so I probably will end up with a ruined interior and mold issues. This is something that Buick needs to take care of because it is a design issue. They could get sued if people start getting sick from mold or mildew in their car. My car has 54,000 mile on it and I had planned on keeping it a long time, but now I don't know. Gosh you try and buy american and look what you get! Disappointed in Chesapeake Va!
  • We're sorry to hear that you're encountering this leaking concern! What are your plans for getting it looked into?
  • I have a Buick 2008 that has a sunroof that leaks. In 2010 I had the vehicle serviced because the sunroof leaked, pillar post was soaked, leaving me with with a saturated floorboard, electrical problems and the vehicle wouldn't shut off, and a stinky moldy smelling vehicle. The dealership said it was due to the sunroof seal and replace the seal.
    Then 5/2012, it leaked again. Floorboard saturated, and mildew smelling vehicle. This time the dealership said front drains were plugged and they cleaned them. I am still in my warranty period, and the dealership refused to replace the carpet even though this was the second time the sunroof leaked onto the floorboard. I am allergic to mold, so this is a real problem for me. I can hear water sloshing somewhere in my dashboard.
    Now 3 months later, leaking again. The pillar post is wet, floorboard saturated, moldy smell. Floorboard is starting to get black edges due to extra wear from water damage. I do not have any trees or otherwise dropping debris onto my Enclave. I take very good care of it, because I love it. But now, I feel like its a big wet stinky dog that I have to sit next to. We'll see what the dealership comes up with tomorrow.
    I can't put up with this issue and will have to see how Buick resolves this problem permanently, as to whether I would ever consider another Buick. What is going to happen when I am out of warranty? I even read that 2008 had a recall on sunroofs, but it had to be addressed by 9/2009, and my VIN wasn't in the list anyway. Clearly they are WRONG about what VINs are affected in the recall. This forum was so easy to find. Now that this is my 3rd episode with this, I knew I would be able to find others experiencing it too!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,064
    waverunnin,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns. Can you please email me directly with your VIN, current mileage, complete contact information including mailing address, and involved dealer? I would like to look into this further for you. I look forward to working with you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • I am getting ready to buy an Enclave (08), and took it to my mechanic for a pre-buy inspection. He found a leak at the transmission case. It's still under 100k mi (full warranty), so I took it into the dealer, who said it had loose bolts and everything was fixed by tightening them. My mechanic and tranny guy both howled and said it'd soon leak again and I should NOT buy the car. What do you think?
  • DO NOT BUY THE CAR! I just traded mine in after have so many problems it wasn't even funny! I posted on this thread a while back. I will NEVER own another Buick! I love my new Honda and even with all the features it has, I enjoy the no leaks THE MOST!
  • My 2008 Enclave is having the same leaky sunroof problem that has been well-documented on this and many other forums. There was indeed a recall in 2008 BUT my VIN number was excluded from the recall. Now I am having the exact same problem and the dealer wants $1900 to fix it. I want to know why my Enclave - and MANY others - are having the exact same problem that the recall was supposed to address but was excluded from the recall notice.

If the dealership does not find a way to fix this for free (nevermind that my electronics, speakers etc. are a ticking timebomb from all of the soaking) I am going to find a lawyer who is looking for a fat juicy class action lawsuit.
  • Good morning timberleaf,

We would be happy to look into this further with you; please send us the following information at socialmedia@gm.com so we can get a Service Request going: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

• It finally rained here and my newly purchased 2008 Enclave sunroof is leaking, so came here and found out about all the problems and recalls and now need help fixing it before the mold thing starts.
  • It was strange - I texted my usual service rep at the local dealership that I would be bringing my 2008 Enclave in with a leaky sunroof. When I showed up the next day the service manager took control of my case himself, rather than my usual guy. We went back and forth a bit about who was going to pay for the repair since it was such a well documented issue - and that there had been a recall for 2008s with the same problem. Later the same day I got a call from a dealer salesman to see if I wanted to buy a new one instead. To make a long story short, we ended up buying a new 2012. After reading about the many electrical problems etc. that can result from repeatedly soaking the dashboard, and learning about the many upgrades to the engine and transmission since 2008, which had also given us concern over the years, we bailed on the old one to avoid almost certain future problems. They gave us a good deal and GM pitched in an additional $1500 due to the leak issue. Not at all what we had planned on but I think it was the smart decision in the long run. However, I still filed a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration documenting the many problems to 2008 Enclaves that were excluded from the original recall and I strongly encourage anyone with this issue to do so as well.
  • It was just a about a week ago that my son came to me and said there is a drip coming from the ceiling of our 2008 Buick Enclave. What? the ceiling! Sure enough there was a drip coming from the sensor that sets in the center above the third row seats.

Fast forward to today...its raining outside and my wife gets in our car, puts on her seat belt and it is all wet. she drives out of the driveway and hears a big slosh of water above her head and its NOT on the outside. The water is coming in somewhere and I have to find out where fast. I log in to Edmunds.com to see what the issue might be and yikes...it seems to be a big issue.

Not sure if my VIN was in the "elite" group that was recalled but I can say that if it wasn't I will be looking GM to step up to the plate here. I am in a similar situation with mold issues...I and two of my three kids have Asthma and they will not do well if this water turns my car into a moldy mess.
    It appears that even if they replace the seals in the sunroof (that seams to be the problem area) it often becomes an issue again later. Possibly the vehicle frame did not match the sunroof glass very well in '08.

GM has made a great vehicle here and we have enjoyed our Buick Enclave but I can not afford new seals, carpet or electrical repairs so if GM can not (or will not) own up and fix this issue quickly for us, we will have a car for sale...cheap! and GM will not get a second chance from us.

Has anyone had any luck getting their leak fixed? I have no warranty left (e.g. 108K miles and my extended warranty just expired) so I am hoping someone can direct me to an inexpensive or free repair.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
  • Good evening carinfoplease,

If there is anything we can check into for you (recall or warranty information), or if you would like for us to look into the situation further, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • 1racer,

We're sorry to hear that you're encountering the leaking concern as well. If we can look into this further with you, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

• I am experiencing the same issues as most of you with the 2008 model, however this is a 2009 model. I want to know why this is happening. The dealership is going to correct it but only because I have owned the suv for 2 days. Purchasing this vehicle makes me weary of the brand that I always trusted.
  • amyr1216,

We're glad to hear that your dealership is working this out with you! Please keep us posted on the progress of the repair!

• I purchased my 2008 from Stanley Ford in Pilot Point, Tx in May 2012. This dealer was informed of the water leak within 1 week but the dealer failed to help at all. After numerous calls and taking the vehicle back & forth to the dealer where I purchased the car, I went to the Buick dealer in my area McKinney GMC Buick and found out that there was a recall on the sunroof. Although my VIN wasn't listed on the recall, I contacted Buick's customer recall number and currently they're looking into this issue. Hopefully this issue will be handled without any added cost to us the consumer. Waiting on a reply now, stay tuned.
  • My 2008 Enclave also leaks water from the sunroof resulting in wet front pillars and a wet floor on both the driver and passenger sides. I have had the problem for more than 2 years but had not taken the time to get it into the dealership until 11 days ago. The dealership said they fixed the problem on September 10, 2012 but the car hasn't been out in the rain since so I'm not yet sure it is fixed. I contacted Buick customer service asking them to pay for the repair but they denied the request saying the following

"our experience has been that a defect attributable to the original manufacturing and assembly process generally makes itself apparent quite early in the life of the vehicle. After a vehicle has been in service for several years, many factors (usage, owner maintenance, age and wear, etc) can contribute to difficulties that are beyond the control of the vehicle’s manufacturer."

I am more than a little disappointed at Buick's decision since they had both a TSB and a recall on this issue (though my VIN wasn't in their list) and that a sunroof leak is obviously a design flaw unless the vehicle has been altered or wrecked. The customer service center also mentioned "debris" that could cause a blockage but there is no reference in the owners manual to cleaning the sunroof drains (nor have I ever heard of a car where sunroof drains needed cleaning).
    Does anyone know of a way to appeal / elevate a decision made by Buick Consumer Support?
  • Good morning woodland22500,

If you were to send the Service Request number (71-**********) or the last 8 digits of your VIN to us at socialmedia@gm.com we could check into what's been done in your case. While we may not be able to change any resolution, we will check to see if there is something we can do.

• Sarah: I am glad I came across this blog. Yes you guessed my Buick leaks too and A LOT!. I have an Enclave 2008 Custom made only 41,253 miles on it. I paid +46 K$ (Full MSRP, no discounts on it!), mater of fact I am still making payments on it. Everything was fine with it until last December. My wife noted some humidity on the passenger side but we were in Orlando on vacations, so we decided it could wait until January, But the warranty expired January the 4th .So long story short, yesterday 9/24/2012 my wife took the kids to school and when they open the DVD screen there was a steady dripping of water for almost 5 minutes out of the thing, now on the driver side also there was almost half inch of water soaking all of the carpet, not to mention the strong smell. the water seems to be leaking out of the driver airbag located on the column, it is stained around that area. VIN# 8J220363, Miami. What can I do next?
  • Good morning wetbuick,

We're sorry that you've encountered this leaking concern as well. If you would like for us to look into this further, we'd be happy to do so (although we cannot guarantee anything up front). Please send us an email to socialmedia@gm.com with the following information: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

• We've just encountered the same issue, purchased 8/9 with 49k, 2008 CXL. Last week, we were on vacation and parked outside for an extended period for the first time. On the ride home, we stopped and opened the trunk to get some things and there was water dripping out of the park assist/roof area just behind the 2nd sunroof. Has anyone tried to blow debris out of the sunroof tubes or is anyone having success with getting this repaired, a quick internet search shows its more than an occasional issue.
  • hi, sorry to hear that. The clogged drain tubes seems to be where the service folks always want to start but it definitely had no effect for us and no one else i have heard from. The problem was the leaky sunroof itself. best of luck to you.
  • we had ours fixed at a Buick dealer. they "cleaned sunroof drains and added extensions". charge was $279. I contacted Buick to ask them to pay for the repair but they refused. Not sure I will ever buy another Buick.
  • Good morning rellbg09,

We're sorry that you're having difficulties with your sunroof potentially leaking on you. If you decide on working with a dealership and would like for us to check into this further, please send more details to socialmedia@gm.com and we'll get a Service Request started for you (we would need your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your preferred dealership).

• tessttesst Posts: 1
    My first Buick, I was so proud of. I bought it in 2010, first time we had rain, my friend and I were out shopping, got into my "oh so proud of Buick" as soon as I put it into drive, water came out of the driver and passenger side arms and leaked all over us. I was so not happy and embarrassed. As I was taking it back to the dealership, power steering started making a terrible noise. I told them about the problems and the mechanics said they have had recalls and problems with them. I should of just traded it in right then. I have had problems for the past 2 years, sometimes it would leak and sometimes it wouldn't, but you could always here the water swooshing around above you and beside you, crossing your fingers it would not leak on you or your passenger/s. Well, this past week we have had some long rainy days and my passenger and driver side floors are soaked!! I spend my evenings with the shop vac to get the water out. I am currently building a garage, so I have no choice but to leave it outside. Just called the dealership to have them look at it. I started reading all these post and I think I am going to definetly be looking for a new vehicle!! I'm not going to be embarrassed by something that I should be proud of.