Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee PCM

2»

Comments

• The problem is that the PCM is grounded by the firewall. I'm sure you've fixed this is an old post but if anyone else reads this. The PCM is grounded by the firewall. I found continuity with an ohm reader. I say manufacture defect. if anyone still wants to know how to remedy this stalling, electrical problem, I will be glad to share my research and answer. Original owner of a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. Still running after all that.... Saved a lot of $$$ working on it myself.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,016
    Sure, go ahead and post the solution. We have room. :)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• have they posted the fix for this pcm problem having the same problem on a 96 jeep grand cherokee laredo.
  • I have a 2003 Jeep GC Laredo and well we can get it to start but after driving about 5 blocks it either tries to die or does and then it goes down hill from that we were told fuel pump but i dont think thats it cause we can get it to idle as long as we dont touch the gas or put it in gear. PLEASE SEND ME THE INFO thank you
  • oldmill76oldmill76 Posts: 2
    I have been pleagued with the same symptoms did you find a fix?
  • oldmill76oldmill76 Posts: 2
    I have replaced the crank and cam sensor but still nothing. Not getting fire from the coil but it tested fine. Cant just put a pcm in unless i have a good idea thats it. Ive ran all the tests i know to run and need help. It used to make me wait till the pump would pressure up and when it would finally pressure up the check engine light would flutter with it. The relay box would also make the clicking noise along with the fuel pump. It all took about a min for the pump to ingage. Once the pump ingaged and the relays quit clicking it would start and run good. Now nothing ..
  • I have a 2007 Cherokee SRT8 and recently it has started to die without warning or reason.

Dealer says the PCM is defective but am not so sure. it seems to be worse when it gets hot and also when the dealer "tested" it by giving it a good hard whack with the palm of his hand with the car running it stopped.
    I believe the PCM will be rated for the extreme temperatures under the hood so I am inclined to think it is a bad contact. Would appreciate to have some info on what you found before I spend over $1,000 on a new PCM which might not cure the issues.

The only other items I thought bout were the crankshaft position sensors and the camshaft position sensors.

Any help you can give would be great. it does not suit being a yard ornament, it is meant to run.
  • jeeppoor1jeeppoor1 Posts: 1
    2000 JGC 136,000...getting ready to take into the shop that replaced the PCM 2x. This time after a week of getting it back after month of figuring out what's wrong,,,it's RPM runs between 500-1200 when stopped. The car runs rough and will jerk/hicup/jump during acceleration. Also the mileage, while it wasn't the bet before now is 2mpg less then before this all happened. Not sure what they will check for so any input would be helpful from the forum
  • I have had the same problem. After changing all kinds of sensors and ign coil. I found a loose connection at the pcm. it looked fine , but I had my wife start it and I wiggled the plug and it died 3 times. I shoved a piece of cardboard between the antifreeze resevoir and plug. now it runs great.
  • My '93 Grand Cherokee was making me wait 1-5 minutes for the check engine light to come on and then prime the pump. It then started to take almost 30 minutes and finally didn't prime at all. Once the check engine light quit coming on, I replaced the PCM with a flashed rebuilt from online. I still have other issues, but now the CE light comes on immediately and the pump instantly primes. Sound like your PCM to me.
2»