Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey drivers with kids- what is your OTHER car?

nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
edited March 2014 in Honda
My wife and I have an Odyssey for us and our 2 pre-school children in car seats and love its unique combination of comfort, versatility, and reliability. On any family trip, it is our preferred vehicle.

For those similarly situated Odyssey owners, what is your OTHER vehicle (if you have one) to ferry the kids around in?

Comments

• blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    We have an '06 Odyssey EXL/NAV/RES to haul the kids & just bought an '08 Accord EXL-4cyl for commuting (no kid transport).

I am slowly regretting the Accord because we bought it for fuel economy but the best we see on the highway is 24MPG (same as the big Odyssey).

Hindight, the '08 CRV is a great car for both commuting & hauling kids. I didn't buy one because I thought the fuel economy couldn't match a car but I was wrong.
  • bobber1bobber1 Member Posts: 217
    We have 3 kids under the age of 4 and an 07 Odyssey and love it.

Our other vehicle is an 08 Ford Taurus which has been a very pleasant surprise. Nice car that's really quiet on the road with marginally better mileage than the Honda. The 3 car seats in the back row took a while to get figured out, but works fine now.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Thanks for the thoughts. It is a tough time of year to get rated EPA mileage so don't give up hope.

I have a 2005 Accord and the back seat has become a bit small for the car seats.

A CR-V is candidate for replacing the Accord for the increased back seat and available AWD.
  • artasartas Member Posts: 18
    odyssey ex-l 05 and civic hybrid 06 (25k miles, total 41mpg average). Though regret odyssey, since it makes that annoying droning sound.
  • jtk152jtk152 Member Posts: 139
    Our 2008 Ody LX is a must with our 2, 4 and 6yr/old children. It's an awesome van.
    we are averaging 19mpg per tank.
    Other car? 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS 4dr, auto, totally basic. Love it. Avg 30mpg per tank with it.

Joel
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    The Odyssey is basically just a weekend leisure type car, so the 3 drivers in our household (spouse.. myself, and teenage driver) rotate between the 3 other cars:

A Honda Civic that's great for local stints; I average about 30 mpg.
    A Nissan Altima that gets excellent highway mileage and is used as my wife's commuter; she averages about 30 mpg highway and 28 overall.
    An Infiniti I35 that's my commuter car and gets around 26 mpg highway.. not much better than the minivan, but slightly better overall mileage wise since it is used mostly for highway driving.
  • scottinkyscottinky Member Posts: 194
    the Odyssey is my main mode of transport. I love it! Getting 16-17 in town.
    our other car is a 1995 C220 MB, my wife's. probably gets 23city and 32 hwy.
    been a great little car.
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    Two kids, ages 14 and 16. 1 German Shephard

My wife just recently replaced her '00 Ody EX (140K miles) with a left-over '07 EX. It is her daily driver. My daily driver is an '01 BMW 330Ci. 30+ MPG on the highway and low-20s in the city. We usually use my car on short to mid-range trips since the kids are at an age where arriving in a minivan is about as uncool as it gets. Her van becomes "my" van for towing dirt-bikes and quad. Also, when doing home improvements... ever try to get a stack of 2X4's into a subcompact?! ;)
  • ozzy088ozzy088 Member Posts: 6
    We have 3 kids, 16, 3, and almost 2 (yes, quite the gap thank you) ;) . So our Ody is an 05 EXL. Our other "car" was an 05 Chevy Silverado 2500 crew-cab diesel!! 6,600 lbs and getting close to 20 mpg!! BUT - diesel is absolutely insanely expensive in MI ($4.09 cheapest) :mad:, and in a much needed desire to downsize & simplify our lives, we traded the chevy in on an '08 Toyota Camry Hybrid. Now, that car gets 34 mpg on a bad day in the city. So, mercifully for me, the Ody is my daily driver, wife gets the new hybrid, and we have a 21 foot travel trailer for sale. :shades:
  • touring2005touring2005 Member Posts: 4
    Two kids, 2 and 5....

Our other car (mine) is a VW GTI 4 door.... great mileage, fun, four doors, room for car seats!
  • kohyutakohyuta Member Posts: 16
    Just traded in our 03 Ody EXL/RES for an 08 Ody EXL/RES, and what a change for the better. 2 kids, 4 and 2.

Out other car is an 03 Civic Hybrid. Awesome little car that has just enough room for us, even on day trips. Haven't had the 08 Ody long enough for mileage stats, but we've got an lifetime MPG of 45 on the Hybrid.
  • fiend_bearfiend_bear Member Posts: 18
    Other car is 1995 Geo Prizm LSI, 5 spd manual transmission, 95K miles, original owners. Basically a re-badged Toyota Corolla made at the NUMMI plant in Fremont, CA (Toyota may start building the Prius at NUMMI to keep up with demand). Only unscheduled maintenance was a new starter ($200) five years ago. Original brakes/pads with lots of miles left on pads. Perfect initial build quality (wish I could say the same about our '08 Ody) and 35 mpg overall mileage!

A small 4-door sedan, it's great for carting kids around town. Would never use it for long trips as the Ody is much better for that. But with gas over $4/gal ...
  • warriorzerosixwarriorzerosix Member Posts: 5
    Odyssey is the Chief of Staff's vehicle, with three children and a dog, we need the room. We love our 08 Ody EXL-RES, no issues to this point, averaging 22-26 mpg's, and what a Great Dealership we have in Honda Carland of Roswell, GA!

Other car is a 2007 Acura TL Type S, Kinetic Blue Pearl, and quite a machine. Averaging 26-30 miles per gallon in moderate driving. ;)
This discussion has been closed.