Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Article Comments - 2008 Subaru Legacy Boxer Diesel

We're driving the 2008 Subaru Legacy Boxer Diesel in Malaga, Spain, but we might as well be in Southern California.

Read the article to find out more and post your comments here!

European First Drive: 2008 Subaru Legacy Boxer Diesel

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Nice to read so many rave reviews. That's the 3rd article I've read about it and all were pretty much universally positive.

Too bad it doesn't meet CARB standards. That will delay any US hopes.
  • pengwinpengwin Posts: 74
    when is the release date for this car in the US?
    The diesel doesn't meet CARB standards. So it can't be sold in Cali or the state in the NE that have the same emissions standards.

It is very doubtful we will ever see that specific engine in the US. They will have to add a particulate filter and figure out a way to get the $1500 cost for that down. Right now the diesel is about a grand higher in price, so $2500 may be too steep a markup.

That would take a very long time to break-even, at least.

Having said that, I think about 3 models years from now (2011 is my guess), we'll see some sort of Subaru diesel.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,657
    Subaru has said they won't bring it over until they can sell it in every state. In order to do so, they may have to add some gizmo (I forget what it's called), which could add $1500 to the cost of thee engine.

Bob
    I was thinking the same thing. I doubt they would sell the current diesel powertrain in only 45 states, especially when they're biggest niche is New England, and many states there follow CARB rules.
  • hondaruhondaru Posts: 11
    This is the car I've been waiting for. I hope they can figure out an inexpensive way to follow CARB rules. Was that a misprint or did I read 60 mpg? They'd sell 100K per year! If Jetta and MB CDI can do it, Subaru should. Perhaps they are waiting to see how the MB and the Jetta perform in the market.
  • pengwinpengwin Posts: 74
    thats actually what im holding out on as far as purchasing a new car, gonna wait until march for the TDI sport wagon
  • Actually $2500 premium is not that much. If you look at the cost in the truck segment, most upgrades to diesel are $7000 and up!
    VW has postponed the TDI powerplant a couple of times, IIRC. It's not an easy thing to do.

Bluetec is awesome but how 'bout a price tag for those of us with a mortgage?
  • kustkust Posts: 4
    Subaru, please, bring it to North America!!!
    It's coming. Date TBD.

Bob
    Pretty scary, but near me diesel prices have gone through the roof. Above are the last two prices I saw for diesel.

Gas, for regerence, is anywhere from $3.29 to $3.39.

That extra amount eats up half your savings or so. :(
  • hondaruhondaru Posts: 11
    That's nuts, what happened to the days when diesel was less expensive? The Oil companies must be making money hand over fist with that premium. Auto manufacturers should lobby to bring diesel more in allignment with unleaded or they won't be successful here in the US.
    Prices crept up for low-sulfur diesel, plus maybe demand is higher? I dunno, but this is crazy.
  • alkmaaralkmaar Posts: 4
    Good point. Refining capacity is tight in the US. Gasoline is imported from Europe, so these imports set the price. On-road Diesel has now a 15 ppm Sulfur specification and not all refineries choose to build on-purpose hydrogen production, instead they decided to produce home heating oil and kerosene instead. I don't expect the Diesel price to go down any time soon. As long as the economy grows (and we continue to eat more and consume more per capita!), there will be need for more trucks to move those products.

However, having driven direct injected/common rail diesel driven cars in the past, I can tell you that these are pretty sophisticated engines with great torque curve. You don't get your 0-60 in 5 seconds (as most car buyers want) but with the torque of these new diesels, you will never notice the difference between your car empty or loaded with five adults with luggage and going uphill.
    I have not driven the very latest Bluetec Benz, but the prior model had a bit of turbo lag. The throttle was like an on/off switch. I hope the newer ones have a smoother and more linear power delivery.
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Posts: 126
    Its coming...late 2009 Legacy and Outback models with Diesel.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,681
    I might be persuaded to sell my Sequoia and buy a diesel Outback. My wife likes the looks of them. A bit smaller than I like. If it would get 40+ MPG on the highway as the EU version. For that I can give up a bit of comfort and space. I may even go test drive one with the gas engine.
    When the Outback diesel arrives here, it will be on the all-new—and larger 2010 (or later) Outback.

Bob
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    With the way fuel prices are consistently skyrocketing, all bets are off for me in terms of something new. I may just stick with the (cheap, old) used car market for a while, if necessary, until things stabilize a bit. Yeah, my minivan only gets 18-20 mpg, but it is in all other cost-related ways better than anything new. :D

I will definitely keep my eye on Subaru, though.

I know this was a random remark - sorry 'bout that. :blush: