Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Article Comments - 2008 Subaru Legacy Boxer Diesel

124»

Comments

• cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    dunno about now but in the 80s if its not federal compliant (and its not just emissions, even things like the turn and head lights and dash warning lights, bumpers) customs will refuse entry and then crush it for you if you don't take it out of the country!! could you make it compliant - only if you are Warren Buffett or Bill Gates and have that sort of money in your spare change holder in the dash!!
  • Thanks for all the wonderful comments, my friends, concerning my questions about importing one of these Boxer Diesel Subarus from overseas. I guess I should dispel the idea.

Too bad that we cannot buy a Subie without an engine and import the Boxer Diesel for installation here in the states. In that way, the car itself would be by-passing U.S. Customs.
  • I actually remember hearing and seeing pictures of someone who imported a VW diesel engine for a Passat, wiring harness, and all other parts needed. He converted his Passat to the diesel version and because he installed the engine seperately didn't have to deal with the usual hassle of vehicle importation. It was obviously a huge project and very expensive. I am always amazed at the cult like following that diesels seem to have.
  • I would like to buy the 55mpg outback boxer diesel too. I read that fuji heavy Industries is working on meeting EPA standards now. If you find out a good way to get one of these cars into the U.S. please let me know. Any other suggestions welcome. I need high clearance all wheel or four wheel with over 40mpg.
  • Unfortunately, if prices don't swing back to what they *were*, I will pass on the next Diesel Outback.

It's only $1.89 for Regular Unleaded here in NJ (Costco Gasoline), but it's still around $3.00 - maybe more - for Diesel fuel in my local area.

The Legacy now gets about 30 mpg with all the combined hwy/city I do, I'd need to get 45 mpg to just "break even".

It's quite the conundrum - it's like the Hybrid Cars. Do you want to pay an extra 10,000 now and save 12,500 in gasoline over the next 10 years, or do you want to pay 10,000 less for a car, and pay a little bit more for gas over the next decade?

Tough call indeed.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    Holy smokes! $1.89?! I will never see those prices again, but I fully expected that none of us would see them. Fuel here in Fairbanks, AK remains firmly planted above $3.00. But, hey, that's what having a monopoly is all about. ;)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Costco gas is awesome.

Around here gas is $2.19 and diesel is $3.19. Like you said, pretty much stacked against the diesel. You'll break even, but only after a very long period.

Of course oil is $55/barrel and who knows how long it will stay that low. Remember when it broke $140?
  • My mom owns a 2006 Subaru Outback and I've driven the car a few times. I loved driving it. Because of its boxer engine, its centre of gravity is lower and easier to drive than my Toyota Corolla. The only fault I have with it is the gas mileage. It probably gets around 18 mpgs overall. If it were available in the USA with a Boxer Diesel engine, I'd buy it straightaway. In diesel form, it probably gets around 25-30 city/highway mpgs. I hate having to wait until it meets US emmision standards, I want the car now! The US govt. wants us to drive vehicles that get better than 20mpgs, yet they're unwilling to allow us to drive vehicles that natuarally get better mileage! Diesels get better mileage than their gasoline equivolent. Why the hell doesn't the US govt. want diesel cars and trucks in this country? It doesn't make sense!
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,679
    Welcome to the Forum.

What you are seeing is who controls our Congress, President, EPA and CARB. BIG OIL. They have gas to sell and lots of it. They do not want YOU to get 30-50 MPG. They want you to get 20-25 MPG MAX. Anything you here from a politician is lip service to make you believe they are interested in cutting the use of Fossil Fuel. It is all a BIG FAT LIE. It has been the same story for over 100 years. They have too much gas and not enough diesel refined from each barrel of oil. The few of US that know diesel is a superior fuel are ignored by our leaders. The masses, well, they are the masses. They will take what ever is offered them. Gas vehicles are CRAP pure and simple.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Don't hold back for our sake. ;)

The biggest obstacle right now, IMHO, are the varying levels of emissions rules in different states.

Many diesels could be sold here in MD, but not in Cali, due to more stringent CARB standards. Sure, the new clean diesels meet those standards but that equipment adds even more to the price premium diesels already command. Go price a BMW 335d.

So diesels cost more, clean diesels cost a lot more, and this country does not have one single emissions standard to be met, so car makers can't even sell a diesel that meets MD standards in Cali. That would limit sales volumes even more, or they'd have to sell 2 diesels, or they'd have to sell only the more expensive cleaner diesel variety.

I won't get in to the politics of it all, but suffice it to say, if demand for diesel in the US increases, diesel prices would increase even more, and it's already more expensive than gasoline.

So expect diesels to trickle in to the market, not pour in.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,679
    In San Diego today Diesel is equal to or less than RUG. The cost difference in the BMW X5 35d is less than the V8 model which it is more than competitive with. It has significantly more torque on only a fraction of a second slower from 0-60 MPH. Compared to my V8 Sequoia the X5 diesel is a rocket. It is a driving experience worth the trip to the dealer. Add on the Tax credit and you are in for a decent price considering what you will have. And no reason you should not get 30 MPG on the highway unless you do not like driving under 85 MPH.

I do agree that the EPA should be the one agency setting the emissions standards. No wonder the auto industry is in disarray with trying to keep up with multiple government agencies and the stupid demands.
124»