Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Audi A4

Comments

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Thanks Mark! I guess I'm getting mello in my old age. :P

FWIW, it is looking reasonably certain that my next long term contract will have me driving about 600 miles per week, and at current gas prices, that's an "OUCH!" Assuming this contract comes through, I've decided to eschew the A3 that I've been lusting after and opt instead for a GTI 6-Speed (the 3-pedal version) with the new CCTA engine (i.e. the same engine as in your new A4 sans the new "Valve Lift" technology). Why? Well, both to cut my depreciation costs (how are three year old cars with nearly 100,000 miles on the clock worth these days?) as well as to keep my gasoline costs to a minimum (while still having a fun car to drive for the duration).

Keep us posted on your driving impressions of the A4. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    There is a backorder on all 2009 A4's with 19 inch wheels and S line package. Even the A5 can't be ordered with the upgraded 19's or sport package. There is a supplier problem and they can't make enough of the rims.

The premium and premium plus are very good values on the 09 A4 2.0T Q.

For under 37k on the premium plus, you get the xenons, led's, bluetooth, dual power and heated/memory seats, ipod, and more. A current convenience package 08 A4 2.0T model is the same price.

The prestige is kinda pricey @ 40k, and it's too bad you have to spend $3300 more to get the advanced key and bang and olufson & 18's. They bundle that with the lane assist. I don't know how many people car about lane assist on an A4.
  • When can I see one in Colorado?

Also, I need quattro. Can I get the 2.0 w Quattro? On the Avant? Anyone know anything about the gas milege?
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Posts: 1,491
    I'm not sure there'll ever be A4 cabrio again, I heard theyre switching it to A5 cabrio for 2010 model. Well.... just imagine a topless A5, cool isnt it?
  • traderjtraderj Posts: 39
    I live next to the largest volume Audi Dealership in North America. I went there yesterday to inquire about the 2009 A4 Avant. I asked about regular gas. They told me that was the most frequently asked question by customers. They have been told by Audi to tell all of their customers that they can use regular gas in all Audi models. You see they don't "require" premiun, they "recommend" premiun to get maximum performance.
    What does this mean? This is legalese marketing mumbo jumbo. It allows them to advertise 211hp and 258 torque, in order to top a competitors figures.That's what sells cars, numbers!
    Does it affect performance, yes, but so little that you won't be able to tell the difference. You might get 207hp and 252 lbs. torque. Does it affect mileage? Well, the technically yes, but in reality NO! The EPA mileage for the Quatro is supposed to be 21 city and 27 hwy. If indeed you get 27 hwy on premium, you may get 26.95 on regular. So in reality there is no noticeable difference. I just read an article in which the author posed this question to a Porche engineer, and he said it was perfectly fine for any Porche owner to use regular and that he doubted that any Porche customer would notice a difference in either perfomance or mileage. You will see in 2009 that almost alll manufacturers who used to "require" premium, will be changing the language in their manuals to say "recommended" premium for best performance. You see, all engines today have brains which automatically adjust the engine to run on any grade of gasoline. In fact, the Hyundai Genesis is the first car to publish exact figures for both regular and premium gas. Their v-8, which gets 368hp on premium, loses 7 hp with regular and no difference in mileage. I beleive that publishing dual power figures will become the norm in the near future.
    So, the bottom line is, if you are drag racing to work everyday or if you don't think Exxon is making enough money, keep buying premium. If not, keep the change for yourself.
  • jd25jd25 Posts: 43
    Thanks for the clarification! I'm waiting for the 2009 A4 to come out which I'd prefer to lease. I just hope that by using 87 or regular grade gas won't breach any lease terms...
    While using 87 will not violate any terms of your lease, it is highly doubtful that you'll only lose a quarter of an MPG by running regular fuel (contrary to the highly questionable factoids posted by traderj).

Do what you wish with your car, however, most of the scientific studies that I've read regarding the use of Regular fuel in cars designed to run with Premium indicate that you're going lose at least eight percent of your fuel efficiency, which is more than enough to cost justify using Premium fuel.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jd25jd25 Posts: 43
    As I go through Google search on this topic, the consensus seems to be that if the car requires premium then one can get away by using regular about half the times of refilling. If the car recommends (not require) then one can probably get away using regular all the time. It seems according to AAA more than regular vs premium debate it is important to refill with brand name gas such as Chevron's Techron that has added detergent to keep the engine clean from carbon buildup. Following is an article from MSNBC:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25691323/
    That article is simply opinion from a few sources that have no scientific credibility, that and it has more than a few inaccuracies and outright fabrications laced into the dialog.

If you want much more accurate and scientifically derived information, go to the SAE archives ( http://www.sae.org ) and poke around a bit.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    People spend way too much time worring about saving 10-15 cents on gas.

18 months ago premium 93 gas was 2.89 gallon...now it's 4.09 You'll get better performace and mileage if you use 91 or better on Audi's, especially on a Turbo motor.

Keeping proper tire pressure and controling your driving habits will save you just as muh if not more than worring about 87/89 vs 91 octane gas.
  • cicero3cicero3 Posts: 2
    Shippo. Quick, tell John McBush!
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Posts: 1,491
    Sooooo true ;) , many even forget that premium gas improve mileage.
    Good point.
  • I went to the closest dealer yesterday and he had a brochure available. Not the flimsy card, but the book like brochure. He said they should have cars in late September-but these are the ones Audi decided to send them. The ones they have on order will arrive in Oct.

I took a picture of the brochure and got in an 08 A6. The dash is almost the same.

I think I am leaning toward the Avant to have the extra cargo room. It has the 2.0 T engine, which is the one I prefer. Better mileage. The salesman told me that I should be able to get close to 30mpg hiway.
  • yatesdyatesd Posts: 60
    "Shippo. Quick, tell John McBush! "

I wish...I'd certainly vote for Bush again in 2008. Anyway, don't you think this is off topic?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    don't you think this is off topic?

Indeed. :)
  • mcmuneymcmuney Posts: 64
    I'm thinking of trading in my 2005.5 A4 3.2 CVT Quattro for a 2009 2.0 CVT Quattro. I'm doing this for 2 reasons: 1) I need a new car every 2-3 years, I get that itch and 2) Better mileage.

I'm currently getting about 22MPG lifetime average, which isn't bad, but I think I can get 30+ with a 2.0. I'm also thinking of leasing this time around.

Has anyone switched from a V6 to a V4? I'm wondering if there's a significant difference. I'm used to the power of the V6.
  • Just a couple of things. The '09 A4 2.0 Quattro comes with the 6-spd tiptronic transmission. The CVT is only for the front wheel drive version. There won't be that much difference from your V6 to the new 2.0TFSI engine in the '09. Although the new 2.0 T engine has 211 hp, the torque has increased from 211 to 258 pound-feet of torque which is really the key to accessing the full performance of your engine. I've read that the new 2.0T has great acceleration, but you should let your test drive speak for itself.

Enjoy!
  • . . .you will note they have been engineered to use Premium gas. They have also been programmed to be able to retard the spark sufficiently to reduce pre-ignition (PING) which does, over time, do damage.

The impact of doing this does not totally eliminate the damage, but for practical purposes, you probably can get away with it -- besides the warranty will be long over before the damage would be paid for by Audi (et al.)

Mileage and performance are impacted by using 87 octane, when the engine has been engineered for maximum performance and mileage on 91 or 93 octane.

If you poke around you will find both opinion pieces and "objective" pieces that explain reasons to use the "recommended" octane. Often, at the same time, you will find articles that claim no advantage is gained by using premium in a car engineered for regular. The opposite is not the case, however.

For the heck of it, I tried regular in my Audi 3.2 ('05 A6). The car didn't start "normally," it seemed as if it were being driven with the emergency brake slightly engaged causing a drag on the accelerative capability. When I reached a 1/2 tank, I put premium in and couldn't wait for my old A6 to return.

Wondering, I did the same thing to my wife's car (a 3.0si engined) BMW X3. She thought the car needed servicing (I didn't tell her about the gas until after the fact.)

I guess if one were to start from day one using regular, well you might think the way the car performed was "as designed." Pity.

These cars are often over $40K (my new A4 will be north of $47K) and why would I not use the recommended fuel under the false assumption of saving money is difficult to imagine.

Audis are designed to use premium gas. If this is a show stopper for you, buy something else.

Using regular in one of these cars, especially the forced induction models is an exercise in a "false economy."
    I had a chance to test drive a 2009 A4 Quatro sedan today. The Audi dealer had 2 for demo purposes. Both were Premium models, 2.0t . One had wood interior, the other aluminum. Very briefly, the engine, transmission and overall ride were very good. And, the larger size was perfect. However, I do have a few things that bothered me.
    1) You do not get a driver information center on the Premium model. That means no mpg or distance to empty etc. You must get the Premium Plus package for that ($4,000). Also the info that you do get is in small red lettering which is hard to read. The optional driver information center is in bright white and very easy to read.
    2) No rear a/c vents unless you buy the Prestige package for($6,000). This is a real problem in the Avant, as I live in Florida.
    3) The speedometer goes to 180 mph. Not only is that absurd, since the salesman told me that the car is linited to 120 mph, but this causes a problem. There are so many numbers on the speedo, that your normal driving speeds, 0-60, are all on the bottom left of the speedo in a 2-3 inch space at the bottom of the dash. It is much harder than necessary to read your speed. 3/4 of the speedo is wasted space.
    4) If you have seen the brochure, the only pictures of the center console show very elaborate layout with an MMI button and a push button start among other things. Well that is only for the Prestige package. Other models have a very Plain Jane black plastic area surrounding the shifter. The key starts the car and ther is a small plastic MMI button by the radio.
    5) I took the car up to 50 mph and breaked hard. The car stopped true and straight as an arrow, however, it was the loudest ABS sytem I have ever heard on any car. Not the tires or the brake pads, but the ABS sytem. Be prepared for it, or the noise may scare you.
    As I said the ride and acceleration was good, and I thought the seats were very comfortable. The styling, however, which looked beautiful in the brochure and online, did not quite translate in real life. I was a little let down. I thought they looked a bit dull. However, these were 2 Premium models, one black and one silver. Maybe the dressed up models or different colors will look better. The dealer is having a party next Thursday night to introduce the A4 and they hope to have more in by then. I am planning to attend.
    For those interested in the Avant, they won't have any for 2 months.
    If you have any specific questions, I will try to anser them.
    I forgot to mention, MPG per the window sticker was 21/27. I was told the front wheel drive models will get 30 mpg highway, but can't verify that.
    3) The speedometer goes to 180 mph. Not only is that absurd, since the salesman told me that the car is linited to 120 mph...

FWIW, per the brochure, the car is limited to 130 mph (typical for cars with "H" rated tires).

Best regards,
    Shipo
    I think you'll easily get 30 mpg + on the 09 2.0 Quattro on the higway. Ask most current Audi customers with 05.5 to 08 Audi 2.0 T quattros, and 30 plus on the highway is very possible. Audi is pretty conservative on highway numbers with the new EPA ratings.

I have a 2008 4.2 V8 350 hp. Just took a trip to the beach 180 miles. Cruise set on 75 and I was getting over 27 MPG. The factory ratings with the new EPA is only 23 on my car. For a car that's big and heavy, I was really surprised my 4.2 A6 mileage was that good on the highway. The FSI direct injection really helps.

I just drove the new 09 A4 with the upgraded 2.0T, and it's quite an awesome motor. The torque is incredible at lower RPM's. It feels like a V6 under the hood.

Gone is the old noisy 2.0 from 05.5 to 08. Balance shafts control the noise and the new 09 model is incredibly quiet compared to the old one.

As for the interior, the new MMI in the A4 is a step up, IMO from the old one.
  • Where are you guys able to test drive these cars? BMW is beating down my door on a deal for a 2008 335i, but I'm waiting until I test drive the new A4. I'm an Audi believer, and have an 06 Audi on lease that I absolutely love. I'm brand loyal, but it's hard to pass up on a 335i paired with a manual, especially at what they are offering.

The car goes on sale in September, right?
    Only the largest Audi dealers are getting some cars which are designated for demo purposes only. They can't sell these. I know our dealer was expecting fully loaded models, but received the base premium models. As I previously stated, they are haveing a party next Thursday to formally introduce these cars. They said they hope to have more, however, I believe these would also be for demo purposes. They are not expecting to make any deliveries this month, but some may trickle in early.
  • Thanks for the feedback. That likely means for Charlotte, we won't see the demo cars until next month, much like the rest of the country. Has your dealership released anything on pricing?
  • I think I am going to order an A4 tomorrow. I have been looking into buying a new car for the last 8 months. I saw a guy with an 08 A5 yesterday and he was kind enough to let me take a peek. (The inside is like the 09 A4). It is gorgeous and I want one.

I have a couple of question is anyone can advise me.

First--I am having a difficult time deciding between the sedan and Avant. I currently have an SUV and the idea of the cargo room is very appealing. However, I don't want to ruin the sportiness (or the perception) of the car. Any comments to help me decide?

Second--I have never ordered a car before. And this is pretty crazy since I can't test drive it. (I live in the Denver area). But, I need a new car by Dec. 31. Any advice for this?

I do have a deal breaker. My husband is 6'4" and has a long torso, so, we have to make sure he can fit in the car comfortably.

Going to the dealer tomorrow.
    2.0T sedan Quatro - Premium $32,700 Premium Plus-$36,700 Prestige-$40,000

3.2 FSI Quatro -Premium Plus $40,000 Prestige-$43,300

2.0t Avant Quatro -Premium $34,500 Premium Plus-$38,500 Prestige-$41,800

Add $825- to all prices for Destination Charges

I don't have the individual Option prices
  • jmd23jmd23 Posts: 13
    You can build your Audi A4 from AudiUSA.com -- 3.2 Quattro Prestige with all the bells and whistles will set you back $53k plus -- still a lot of car for the money, IMO.

willbuyan09
    The Avant ONLY comes in 2.0 4-cylinder form. It you're okay with that, everything else is the same as the sedan in options.

A dealer told me it will take 3 months when ordering a car, but with supply issues it may take longer if you want the S-Line package -- which is very nice if you can wait for it.
  • Went to the dealership yesterday with husband. He sat in the 08 A4 sedan since the headroom will be the same in the 09. He doesn't fit. His head hits the headliner. He is 6'4" with a long torso.

I have been checking out cars for 8 months and decided on this car. I really thought he would fit because he fits in the G. I am soooooo frustrated.

He fits in the A5 (not practical for the family or work) and the A6. I may look closer at the A6, but, it has the same features at the A4 for more money and less fuel economy.

Back to the drawing board. :cry:
  • I just went to Audi USA and saw they have the pricing up for the new A4; however, they didn't have any pricing available for the manual transmission. Anyone else notice this? I looked all throughout the specs of the new A4, and didn't see anything eluding to the manual (particularly for the 2.0T under the Detailed Specs under Transmission, all-wheel drive), but some of their pictures display the manual in it (i.e. selecting the S-Line package).

Just want to make sure I'm not batty and I'm missing it, even though it might be painfully obvious. Assuming this holds up (no manual, which I sincerely doubt), any one else find this to be a deal breaker, or am I one of the few that still believes in three pedals?