Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Audi A4

Comments

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    When you come to a stop the engine shuts off, all electrical appliances keep running and when you press the accelerator it starts "seamlessly" and you save petrol.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    Audi just killed off the 3.2 for 2010. Only 2.0T's will be made.

Makes sense. So few 3.2 models were sold it doesn't justify the cost of production.

Audi made the 2.0T "too good" w/ all that torque. The 3.2 is a little throatier and has a painted black grill. But other than that, the 2.0T is a more fun to drive, IMO and gets better mileage.

If somebody threw me the keys to a 2.0T and 3.2 to drive for free, I'd probably take the 2.0T in 09 form.
  • art234art234 Member Posts: 99
    I just drove the A4 2.0T again and had my wife drive it. This looks like the choice for us. I am going to order a 2010 however because I can get it in July, closer to when my current lease is up, and I learned the 3rd generation MMI and Nav from the Q5 will be incorporated into the A4 for 2010--and I prefer to have traffic and hard drive.

Pricing is TBD but it appears I will just get the car exactly the way I want it.
    The only conundrum for me is whether or not to get Drive Select--I am basically happy with the car without--what do you all think?

Thanks!
  • barryendbarryend Member Posts: 121
    Since Monday I have been driving an 09 A4 2.0 Premium (not plus loaner) while my wife's A4 3.2 was in the shop. We had moderate rain. I drove the Hutchinson River and Cross County Parkways in Westchester County, NY. I was very satisfied with the standard suspension. The steering is very light at low speeds but tightens up and seems quicker at highway speed. The ride and handling was excellent if not sporty.

As I previously mentioned I soon expect a 2009 A4 2.0 Premium Plus with sport package suspension, 18" wheels inc. summer tires. After my three day experience I realized the sport package is not that necessary. It may be a serious comfort trade off when driving to Manhattan or the bumpy boroughs. But a plus driving north on the Taconic or to VT. I will need snow tires and maybe extra wheels. My wife might complain about the ride also. The drive select is the best of both worlds I suppose. I believe it includes 18" wheels and all season tires rather than summer tires.

I know this answer is not completely to the point but drive select is a rare option I do not have. Maybe audiforums dotcom has some members posting experiences. They have international membership. Or you can post a request for comments there . I think NY Times recently tested one with drive select and was very favorable.

You are building a $50,000 Audi A4 so a dealer who has one to test should give you the red carpet treatment. Maybe a full day test.

The more options the lower the residual. So you might also consider a Jaguar, A6, BMW or Mercedes. The residual may be better on a more expensive car rather than gilding the lily on an A4. Just my opinion.
    Barry,

At this point, I am going to buy the car. The new tax laws allowing deduction of the sales tax and interest on a car loan make that option very attractive. The A6, while beautiful, is just more car than I need right now. The dealer is working with me on price, I just have to decide how I want the car built--with or without ADS.

I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks.
    Good move. When my car comes in I will ask about buying also. Problem is I use mine for business. Depreciation is very limited for any amount over a pittance. It is a luxury car subject to unfavorable treatment.

You might find a loaded demo to buy. Maybe a dealer'ship owner's car. Not too many Prestige, nav, drive select to be had.

Remember, the stimulus package caps income limits for the deductions eligibility. I think 125,000/250,000 a couple.

Big plus not to pay lease bank fee, termination fee and rip off assessments for minor dings at lease termination. Audi Credit views their final inspection as a profit point opportunity. Very unfriendly.

We just bought my wife's A4 3.2 2007 before 30 month lease end. Dealer sold it well under residual, Certified it for 100,000 guarantee and 3-yr. 1.9% loan. She will retire and no longer commute. It should last along time.
    Thanks Barry--the reason I am waiting for 2010 is to get the 3G MMI. I need nav traffic and the hard drive. If the new one didn't have it I'd be going back to BMW, but the 3 series is just too small.

I just can't wait to be done with the Infiniti.
    First, a disclaimer:

Those who do not have ADS will, almost to a person, tell you "you don't need it."

Those who do have ADS will, almost to a person, tell you - "don't leave home without it."

Having said this, I have the following configuration:

2009 A4 2.0T Prestige level/quattro

o Ibis (white)
    o Cardamom (beige)
    o Almond Wood inlays

o Tiptronic
    o 19" Sport package (S Line "light")
    o Navigation/Camera package
    o Power op rear sunshade/manual rear side shades
    o Audi Drive Select
    o Audi pre-paid maintenance

I replaced the factory summer only tires with Yoko's Advan S4 UHP all-seasons.

The sticker on the car was ~$49,650.

I have about 8,000 miles on the car (picked it up in October.)

Have had the first service interval and other than the tire swap, nuttin'. . . .

I traded in a nearly all optioned 2005 A6 3.2.

I have had 28 or 29 Audis since 1977. Pretty much, you name it, I have had it (or if not me, my wife.)

Whattya wanna know about ADS and ADS with a configuration such as the one outlined above?

My thoughts: "everyone would get ADS if it were $1,000 less."

Again, whattya wanna know?

I set my individual preference (which is one of the four settings) to:

Dynamic steering
    Dynamic engine and transmission
    Auto suspension

Every option can be: Comfort, Auto, or Dynamic in Individual Mode.

The three set parms are: Comfort for everything, Auto for everything or Dynamic for everything.

I rarely use Dynamic -- although when I do, I must say it is an absolute BLAST!

I typically use Individual and when I hit the Interstate for a long jaunt, I set it to Comfort and set the cruise control to "prevailing conditions and speeds."

The character of the car is different in each mode and will improve either the comfort or the "compliance" of the car based on how it is set and how you drive.

With the 19" x 255 x 35 tires, the availability of Comfort mode pretty much eliminates the bone jarring effects of such a low profile set of shoes.

Then when I want to "play" the car can be "a snake in a rat hole" in the twisties.

Now, at 8,000 miles the car has just reached its third break in and this thing seems to have even more torque than it did at 5,000 miles (which is to say it feels, at times, "limitless.")

ADS is expensive -- it may be too expensive, but now that I have it, I would not want to go without.

I love the look of the 19" wheels but I am NOT a fan of Summer Only shoes and that, more than anything else, ticked me off -- I should be able to get what I want from the factory rather than having to rebuy tires on a new car.

Again, to not go on about something you are not interested in, "whattya wanna know?"

Drive it like you live. :shades:
    Very interesting. What is wrong with summer tires in the summer? What did you do with the OEM tires? Monday I pick up my A4 2.0 sports package with 18" summer tires. If I buy the tire & wheel insurance only the OEM tires are covered.
  • corporateslavecorporateslave Member Posts: 1
    go back to Keyes and ask for Sam Yadegari, the GSM , tell him ron sent you and he'll give you the deal for wayyyy cheaper
    I donated the tires to the Audi dealer's pile of tires.

Nothing is wrong with the summer only tires -- in summer.

During temps that drop below 45, the summer tires are not "Ultra High Performance." Moreover, they have a lifespan of under 20K miles and I simply do not want to swap out the tires twice a year.

The UHP A/S's are a compromise (but not THAT much) -- but I do not track the car. I also like tires to wear at least 25,000 mile before replacement.

The 19" option seriously reduces your choices of tires -- perhaps the 18" option is (or would have been) more prudent.

In any case, I am offering up answers regarding ADS if someone has a question or wants a bit of a discussion on its merits.

:shades:
  • dougfromausdougfromaus Member Posts: 3
    I took delivery of an A4 B8 2009 model in February 2009. When I went to check the oil level via the MMI the other day, I received a message stating that the information was not available for display at this time.

Can anyone suggest how to have the MMI display the oil level like it used to? :confuse:
    To check this, you must drive several miles, first.
  • linyguylinyguy Member Posts: 16
    Was told that in order to get the color Red, you must get the sport package (and that the residual goes down with the sports package). Does anyone know for sure if Red is only available if you get the sport package? Doesn't say anything in the booklets or the website, but was told this by dealer.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    ...how long it is to get a factory ordered Audi? Also, when is the switch to the new model year production?
  • dougfromausdougfromaus Member Posts: 3
    Thanks,

I forgot to mention that I had been driving the car for around 45 minutes before trying to read the oil level so the engine had been warmed up.

I have followed the instructions given in the user manual regarding warming the engine, parking on a level surface, turning off the engine for approx 2 minutes etc. but all to no avail.

What is particularly frustrating is that the car doesn't even come with a manual dipstick to allow you to check the oil level, so I am at a loss to know what to do other than contact the dealer. I just thought there might be an easy fix. :(
    I believe it takes about 3 months from order to delivery. I ordered a 2010 A4 2.0 Quattro Prestige yesterday and am anticipating delivery mid-late July according to the dealer. Any new orders will be 2010-I think 2009 is built out at this time.

Can't wait--took my time deciding but after taking a long drive in the BMW 335 yesterday I am happy with my decision.

Of course it means I am stuck with the M35x for another three months but my wife can drive it.
    I ordered my A4 2.0 sports package February 4th. It hit the dealer April 24. I will pick it up early this week.

Anyone have window tinting advice? NY only allows 70% front and back side windows.
    Barry,

I do not recommend tinting at all...I find the windows as is are good enough. In NY, many police officers just like to bust horns over the tint--why expose yourself?

That said, congrats--and let me know how you like the car!
  • newcarbuyer12newcarbuyer12 Member Posts: 13
    If you don't mind me asking... Did you negotiate your price already or is that something that is done when the car comes in? I realize 2010 prices aren't out yet, but I didn't know if they negotiated $ about/below invoice. Also, are you trading in a car? If so, did you agree on a trade-in amount or will that be taken care of when your new car arrives?

I'm hoping to order my first Audi early this summer, so I'm curious about the process.
    What's on the prestige package? What was your mrsp based on the '09?
    To answer the questions,

We ordered the car from the 2010 ordering guide. We don't have prices yet. We are estimating price, and we did negotiate a fixed cost over invoice, with all incentives to me.

The prestige package now has navigation (3G MMI), but driver assist and the rear camera and park assist are removed and part of an optional package.

I am estimating the cost of the car to be between $43 and $44K or so, and when it comes in I will review lease rates but actually plan to buy the car.

I was in the car business for about 5 years previously, so knew basically how to negotiate, and the dealer and I understand each other...

Now the wait begins...I am really looking forward to this car.
  • backroadbackroad Member Posts: 12
    What is an accurate source for Audi Financial Services' Buy Rate Lease Money Factor?

I have found sources only for 15K mi/year.

Thanks!
  • salexandsalexand Member Posts: 3
    Mark,
    My wife and I are looking at an '09 A4 Premium+ with the sport package only because we need the lumbar support it provides.
    We didn't like the jarring drive of the sport package and would really like something a tad softer (we already have a 2000 Jetta VR6 with a stiff ride).
    Does the adaptive drive really offer a softer ride if the sport package is taken and the drive is set to comfort ? Obviously I don't expect the drive to be as cushiony as say an ES 350 (the other car we were looking at)..

Also, do you have any input on when we'll be able to build out a 2010 A4 ? I hear there are some option changes (eg: no driver memory in the Premium+)

Thanks so much,
  • fglamserfglamser Member Posts: 22
    I have the 2009 A4 Premium+ without the sport package. It has power lumbar support and the ride is very compliant.
  • salexandsalexand Member Posts: 3
    Right ? We were looking for dual lumbar support because wifey (who is going to be the passenger most of the time on this!) needs that.

Forced to go for the Sports even though we don't want it just for the fantastic lumbar support..
    I took delivery of the A4 2.0, sports, Nav. on Tuesday. It has the adjustable thigh bolsters that pull out from the front of the seat. I drove close to 200 miles. The ride seems less stiff than when I took delivery. If the roads are not bad the ride is great. Trade off is the handling is extraordinary. The body and chassis are very well dampened.

I suggest looking into an orthopedic or Temperpedic cushion for a bad back

I have had much more jarring rides on prior cars, including my 2006 Infiniti M35X.

My concern is flats and wheel damage from the great looking low profile 18" wheels with costly summer tires. It also is dropped 19 centimeters (3/4") lower and could bottom out. I need snow tires or all-seasons to get through the NY winters. Maybe a spare set of wheels too. Because of those concerns I am not sure I would have ordered the sports package again. I may have looked at the Prestige with 18" wheels and bought an after market Nav for $300.00 to cut back costs there. The 2009 Audi Nav. is primitive. Backup camera is great though.

Dealer tried to sell me wheel & tire coverage. I am still mulling that over. I have to study the exclusions.

I had two Lexus/Camry based ES sedans in 2000 and 1997. My mother-in-law liked to ride in them and hated my brother-in-law's BMW 750. Sadly she has passed. Now passenger ride comfort is no issue for me. If back problems are an overriding concern an ES would be a good choice.

The standard A4 with a seat cushion or custom seat may also be considered.

My 28 year old step daughter drove the A4 this morning and was thrilled. Her last car was a 2006 Jetta GLI.
    Art:

You are correct.

Several bill are pending in the NY Assembly to require inspection for unlawful widow tint, increased penalties, and raising light transmission to 90% from 70%. They also seek an appropriation for buying $50,000 for window tint meters. This is a reaction to an officer being killed when approaching a tinted vehicle.
    http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?by=k&qs=window+tint

Now that the economy is bad, window tint fines are a perfect source for a new revenue stream.

Thanks for the advice.

Barry
    Comfort setting is soft -- and if you get the 18" sport package, rather than the 19" that I have, the ride is even softer.
  • luvlee824luvlee824 Member Posts: 4
    I was wondering if anyone had the same issue. I have a 2009 A4 w/ almost 9000 miles and had a squealing coming from the car for a couple months and brought to Audi and finally was told it was the water pump and would be replaced. I thought this was kind of soon especially with a brand new car! Any one else hear of this problem with the new 09 or have the similar problem? Thanks!

Also my oil light keeps coming on that oil is low! Just had the oil and maintenance done at around 5500 miles. Any remarks?
    Yes, driver side only. The seats are awfully supportive without it. You might see if you can get a long test drive to see if the wife likes the regular seats.
  • dmargo2dmargo2 Member Posts: 17
    I have experienced the same problem and it is a true design flaw of the 2009 A4. I wish I had never purchased this car, as I live in Wisconsin and an open sunroof is awesome but it gets chilly when I lower. The dealer only recommends using the windows..has anyone placed an aftermarket wind deflector or anything else? I'm seriously considering biting the bullet and switching back to BMW which does NOT cause this horrid noise/pressure feeling.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Try lowering the back windows a crack when the roof is open.
  • dmargo2dmargo2 Member Posts: 17
    thanks jayrider....a crack does not do the trick with mine.....but partially open does..which is fine when its 70 out...but really gets chilly when 50-65......and always a fun task to remember to open the windows while coming off the freeway. Clearly is a physics issue, as when its going over 50-60 mph..not an issue. I would not recommend purchasing this car due to this design flaw IF you love sunroofs.
    Every sunroof I've had in every vehicle I've owned [lots] has the same issue and the same semi-solution. Enjoy your audi and wear a sweater,cap and gloves on cool days. If you really hate the car i'll buy it for 10k cash and suffer the defect with a smile. :)
    When it is cool enough out not to need the A/C but yet you want/need some air, try this. Tilt open the sunroof and open the opposite side rear window a couple of inches. You'll get great circulation with minimal noise and draft.

(Caveat: this is only good for the driver and not necessarily front or other passenger(s).)
    MOST cars have that sunroof rumble. It is created by a turbulent flow of air from the sunroof into the car, and sometimes only opening a back window can disrupt the flow in such a way that it quiets down. My Infiniti does it, among OTHER noises but we won't go there, and my Lexus does it too under the proper circumstances.
  • sje3333sje3333 Member Posts: 13
    I have recently leased (3 year) a 2009 a4 premium plus. I turned in my 2006 a4 which had the sport suspension option. I find my current a4 has more body roll than I am used to and am willing to give up some ride comfort to increase the cars road handling capability. At the same time I hope to address the cavernous space between the tires and the wheel wells. Since I am leasing the vehicle I would like to try and keep the cost to a reasonable amount. Any suggestions / recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Steve
    Since you don't own the car you will likely have to return it to it's delivered specs. Unless, you buy it at lease end.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    Justv wondering if anyone has any info. on the 2010's? Not so much for pricing, but options, new colors, etc.? I am deciding between an 09 2.0T or an 09 BMW 335i. I am in no rush to buy and will probably wait til the 2010's hit the lots to get the bigger savings in the fall for the 09's.
  • newcarbuyer12newcarbuyer12 Member Posts: 13
    There are a handful of new things and changes for the A4. Most notable are the upgrade of their MMI to 3G and the addition of LED tail lights. This link should take you to a chat room page where one of the entries near the bottom of the page has a link to the 2010 order guide which was released a few weeks ago.

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2748301&highlight=2010+order+guide
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    Thanks for the info. I noticed they are removing the Deep Sea Blue and replacing it with Sphere Blue. I wonder how that will look? As you can tell, I am leaning towards Deep Sea Blue if I were to buy.
  • hdtvdslhdtvdsl Member Posts: 2
    I see from your configuration that you have the sport package AND Audi Drive select. What does the "sport suspension" portion of the sport package do/include? Larger sway bars/different springs?
    Since I saw the '09 A4 at the LA Auto Show the ability to have a car that can be pretty good thru the twisties and refined enough for the wife (with her back pains) on long trips has intrigued me. In our case we want a manual (yes the wife drives a stick) with prestige and will wait for '10 for the Nav with traffic and hard drive. I had a '06 Subaru STI so this would be my sacrifice/compromise. Thanks Keith
    Sport package:

19" wheels and Max Perf tires 255 x 35 x 19"
    3 spoke sport steering wheel with paddle shifters
    sport seats
    stiffer AND lower suspension
    larger diam roll bars

Since I do not have the SLine package there are, other than the wheels, steering wheel and sport seats NO visual cues to the sport package (which I like).

You get all of the performance bits of SLINE but none of the optics -- no SLINE embossed seats, no sline badges etc -- no rear valence and no chrome trim around the fog lights, etc.

I love the look and the ride and the drive of the sport package.
    I have a minor irritation with my 2009 A4 2.0T with the CVT transmission. I have the front wheel drive model. Often when pulling away after being stopped at a light or stop sign, there is a lag from when I push the accelerator to when the engine increases its RPM. It's a one to two second non response. Is this a "they all do that" sort of thing with the drive by wire control or the CVT tranny? It's a little disconcerting and can be interesting if you mistakenly give it more gas which rockets you into the intersection.
    Test drive another 09 cvt and the answer may be found.
    Trying out another one will be helpful.

However, the tip can do this, but NOT 1+ seconds worth, as it seems the current gen of Audis are hell bent on doing everything possible to reduce fuel consumption.

I have ADS on mine and I have set it, essentially, for a throttle tip in that is almost instant. Set in COMFORT mode, throttle tip on on my quattro model is a split second less quick.

Perhaps this is simply that your CVT equipped version wants ever so much to be a miser and therefore is not as "touchy" as you might like.

Just a thought.
  • bobrob1bobrob1 Member Posts: 11
    I know that APR has come out with the stage 1 ecu upgrade on the 09 a4 .Has anyone done it .Thoughts?
  • montrotamontrota Member Posts: 7
    How is the navigation system on the 09 model? I've heard mixed reviews. I know it also comes with a camera which I don't feel is necessary.
    The camera is one of those things that were once wants and are now necessities.

Couple the camera with the rear parktronic and once you get used to the wide angle view afforded by the camera/nav screen, you will, I'd wager, be impressed with the safety and bump avoidance these technologies facilitate.

The new A4's nav is a 3G affair (I have the 2G one, and the integration, voice activation, etc, make even it a joy to use). With 3G you get many improvements that are detailed elsewhere -- but, I have driven a Q5 with the new set up and it is an improvment over the 2G.

Aftermarket units from the perspective of the touch screen or map updates, etc actually are superior -- but they cannot work seamlessly with the BlueTooth, the sound system, etc -- and of course no backup camera.

I think the combo is $500 too high -- but I wouldn't have it any other way than the fully integrated factory way.

Do what you like, do what you can afford or do what you think is "pragmatic and prudent" -- the goodness of the A4 (B8) is still there, but the backup camera and full integration that make the factory unit miles ahead of aftermarket offerings will be missing.