Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7 Engine Problems

Comments

• Mazda replaced timing chain and a bunch of other parts on our 4-year old CX7 with 27000 miles under power train warranty without batting an eye...even gave us a loaner car for the 3 days. No problem with the dealer in Orange County, CA.
  • I am having this problem also! I am so upset. Our car has only 50K miles and they are saying the sludge is caused by the owner. And will not provide us with any pictures or verification of this issue. I did make a report with the Highway Traffice Safety Administration and we all have to do this! They did not have any current reports against Mazda and it will take all of us to doing this to have the car repaired. Our warranty claim is denied and they will not even talk to us about this issue. Below is the email for the recall report. Everyone please complete a report so we can get some justice!

The best avenue to make us aware of an issue is to file a formal complaint with us, the NHTSA – National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Please click on the following link or paste the web address into your browser to file a complaint. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm In the filing the complaint, please have your VIN handy and please include as much detail as possible regarding your incident / experience with the issue.
  • I have a meeting with a lawyer in 2 weeks. Please respond to this post with your email information if you are interested in the prospect of a law suit against this company.
  • The NTSA IS aware of what is going on.. When our problem started my husband spent almost an hour with them and also filed an internet complaint.. at that point there were already items posted even an injury accident caused by a chain breaking o highway.. I finally got mazda to replace our engine and turbo by filing for arbitration with theBBB.. they settled with ius before it happened.. loe and behold our new engine/turbo combo is putting out white/grey smoke.. and there was a rattle in the engine compartment when we hit bumps.. they found a loose engine bracket and tightened it but conveniently left it off paperwork.. they denied seeing the smoke and when I was standing there with them and the smoke its now" condensation" even after my car ran for over 15minutes!! My research tells me its cause they put another crap turbo it.. I have since reopened our BBB complaint and asking the car be bought back... I sooooooo hope they buy back their POS car.. I will keep you updated...
    Also, a class action suit is not the way to go... the atty gets rich and we would end up with some free floor mats...lol. I have done some research on it and it wouldn't be woth it...
  • I was one of the first to file with NTSA in August 2009 after my wife was almost killed on Jersey turnpike when chain broke and all power was lost. Mazda never responded to any communication and Mazda dealer in Arlington, VA was no help at all and we never once was allowed to speak with the service manager.
  • I am so sorry you had such bad luck.. Why didn't you file for arbitration through the BBB? From my understanding its one thing you have to explore before filing a law suit.. It is also how I got Mazda to answer me... They also had no problem reopening our claim when the car is still not fixed...
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    edited January 2011
    "...atty gets rich..." and Mazda gets "poorer", poor enough to maybe to begin paying more attention to the issue, plus the addition bad press.
  • In your response I still don't see where my car gets fixed....
  • Are these VVT, turbo, engine issues limited to early model CX-7s (e.g. 2007)?, Has anyone with a 2008 had the same problems?

Thanks,
    al
  • I am now having issues AGAIN with my replacement engine and turbo.. It was making a rattling noise that come to find out was a loose engine bracket (from replacement) that they claimed they couldn't even hear.. The GM heard it on the first bump I hit on our drive and listen.. I am putting out white smoke STILL!! They claimed that is was from being too cold out then it was condensation (wishing they would be consistant with their lies).. I also was driving home from LA through the mountains and the car would not pick up and all of a sudden had a huge puff of white/grey smoke come out of the car and then it took off like a shot.. The smoke was so much so everyone behind us backed way up as if we were on fire.. I am noticing the car shifts hard now and likes only gears 2 and 4.. Anyone on turbo 3 or 4 yet? Cause I am either losing my turbo again or the transmission.. Of course Mazda still tells me nothing is wrong and are sending out an "expert" in a week.. Arbitration suit reopened so that is good.. Husband wont even let me drive the car right now in fear with will break down again with the kiddos and myself in it.. Any suggestions peoples? Also, the turbo and engine replacement has a whopping 2400 miles on it.. YES 2400
  • :lemon: This is Christina Jenkins email address christinajenkins2005@yahoo.com . I HAVE NOW HAD THE 3RD MAJOR ISSUE ON THE 2007 MAZDA CX-7.

1. A/C CONDERSON FROZEN - REPLACED $ 1250.00
    2. TIMING CHAIN BROKE-CRACKED HEAD GASKET,BENT VALUE REPLACE FULE INJECTORS AND SO ON DEALER WANTED TO CHARGE ME $ 7,500.00 MY MECHANICE PROFESSIONS FIXED IS FOR $ 3,025.00
    3. NOW IT'S IN THE MAZDA DEALER PRETTY SURE ENGINE TURBO FAILURE. WHAT A NIGHTMARE WE DO ALOT OF DRIVING BUT TAKE VERY GOOD CARE OF VEHCILE CHANGE OIL MOBIL 1 SYNETHIC EVERY 7,000 USE TO BE 5,000 MAZDA RECOMMENDS 7,500.

WANT TO BE IN THE LEMON LAW SUIT, THE MAZDA DEALER HAS ME A 2010 CX-7 DID YOU ALL KNOW NOW THE CX DO NOT HAVE TURBOS AT ALL AND YOU CAN USE REGULAR UNLEADED. WOW WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE IF THEY STARTED LIKE THIS SEEMS THEY DID ALL THESE CHANGES BECAUSE OF OUR ISSUES AND YET THEY DON'T WANT TO STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND DO A RECALL. MY VEHICLE HAS 146,000 MILES HAD IT FOR 3 YEARS PURCHASE WITH 12,000. JUST BECAUSE WE HAVE ALOT OF MILES AND TAKE CARE OF THIS VEHICLE 100% ALWAYS. SHOULD THE TURBO GO OUT, A/C CONDERSON FREEZE 85,000 - TIMING CHAIN BREAK 102,000. WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON JAPAN AGAIN HAS THESE F IN CARS THAT DON'T WORK SORRY ABOUT MY LANGUAGE IS AM PRETTY UPSET SINCE MY NOTE IS STILL 18K BOUGHT THIS WILL ALOT OF EXTRAS. WHAT TO DO ANYONE OUT THERE I NEED HELP TO TAKE THESE PEOPLE TO COURT AGAIN PUT ME ON THE LAW SUIT RECALL ANYONE: MY NAME CHRISTINA JENKINS - CHRISTINAJENKINS2005@YAHOO.COM I HAVE ALREADY SUBMITTED TO NTHSA THEY FORWARD TO MAZDA - MAZDA CONTACTED ME AND SAID FROM WARRANTY 35,000 THEY WILL GIVE ME 60,000. HELL0 THEY HAVE ALL THE DOCUMENTS SAYING MY MILES ARE WAY OVER. THEY KNOW THAT ANYONE OUT THERE UNDER 60,000 MAZDA IS GIVING EVERYONE A UPGRADED WARRANTY TO 60,000 - BUT DOESN'T MEAN THEY WILL FIX IT GOOD LUCK.
    LADY PISSED OFF IN TEXAS
  • Sad part is, is you have been lucky thus far... My breaks happened at half the miles or less than yours.. Im under the powertrain warranty and Im still getting the jerk around.. Good luck guys... Cross your fingers I am meeting with some adjuster at the dealership Thursday so they can feed my more bull...
  • mazda_nomazda_no Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Mazda cx-7 and i am now on the third turbo with this stupid car. Only 43000 miles. ac unit went out too. also broken motor mount. Very unhappy with the quality of this car. Car is at the dealer now waiting to see if it is going to be warrantied for the third turbo. Dealer wants proof of oil changes.
  • Im sorry your having the same problems as the rest of us.. We finally called the baby ugly and got a lemon atty.. Its the only thing that makes me greatful about being in California currently.. Its to the point for us that they claim over and over again we dont have an issue after they replaced the engine and turbo.. Calling the white smoke condensation, claim it doesn't have lag and that the transmission doesnt shift hard and isnt constantly seeking gears during long trips.. I will be so glad when my Mazda migraine is over!!
  • Just keep calling, just keep darkening the doorstep of the dealership.. File an arbitration claim.. Throw up both TSB's for the turbo and for the VVT.. Just keep pushing.. They will eventually replace; they did us!! Problem is we still dont have a car that runs well.. It sits at the dealership with"nothing wrong" as we no longer feel safe driving it..
    "..claim it doesn't have lag.."

Since turbo lag is commonplace, unavoidable, I will assume that is not the "lag" you refer to. You might mean the 1-2 second re-acceleration sequential downshift engine "lag"/delay/hesitation (an upshift followed quickly by a re-acceleration downshift) but due to the serious gain in FE via it's use that has now become standard across the industry.

DBW is being used to ignore the actual gas pedal position, delay the onset of rising engine torque, until the tranny can "settle" in the downshift gear.

"...constantly seeking gears during long trips.."

6(10) speed automatic transmission...? If so just another commonplace aspect. Think of this, a CVT, Continuously Variable Transmission, will always yield the best FE. So these new automatic transmission ECU firmware control systems are programmed to do their very best at emulating the FE performance of a CVT. That, of course, will result in LOTS of up and down shifting due to minor changes in the roadbed and terrain as you drive along, cruising at a relative constant speed.

You have arrived in the future, gas is $4.00/gallon, live with it.

Not by any means saying the CX-7 isn't rife with problems otherwise.
  • I am not a mechanic nor have you driven my car so we can guess what it is... I know to be fact it did not drive like this prior to the engine and turbo replacement...
  • Is the car hesitating going up a hill around 65 miles an hour then putting out large amounts of white smoke before the car "acting normal and accelerating" common to? Just akin..
    edited March 2011
    "..engine and turbo replacement..."

I think it would be unusual if you didn't at least get an engine/transaxle ECU "reflash" when that work was done and maybe even a factory new ECU module. I would never find myself surprised if the operational aspects of any vehicle changed in that event.

The factory would refer to it as a firmware update revision.

If the factory had to replace your engine and turbo it would be a safe bet that they included ANY updates, mechanical and otherwise, that might abate any future "equal" or "like" failures.

Depending on just when the engine and turbo replacement was done you might now be running on/with a much more current ECU firmware version, 2011 even..?
  • I agree with what your saying and after my research it makes perfect since... Problem is they state nothing is wrong... They also stated this when we had a rattle and an engine bracket was loose.. I am concerned that when they installed the engine they neglected time the fly wheel properly as per the TSB and caused engine damage as well.. The kind of damage that would have occured (as advided by a non Mazda mechanic) would cause the engine to emit the smoke and act the way it does... I am just over suggesting to them how to fix my car... Not my job... I want them to take my Mazda migraine away!