Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7 Engine Problems

Comments

• The grinding at startup noise is a simple VVT actuator problem.. your dealerships must be extremely clueless.
  • +1 more for timing chain issues.... 57,600+/- miles

I don't have the details yet - except for the '07 CX-7 started losing power and making strange noises. Luckily, we were only 3 miles from a Mazda dealer. Initial diagnosis was timing chain related (probably broken tensioner/idler since the engine was still able to run). Today, I received the call nobody wants to hear: "can you provide proof of oil changes". Ummm... no, I did almost all of them myself.
    I think I'm gonna be sick...
  • My timing also went out said i needed new engine warranty out 75000k not true took it somewhere else timing out. mazda conroe tx refused and also lies about what is wrong found this online to day 1/29/2010
    bullentin.
    :mad:
    Page 1 of 2
    CONSUMER NOTICE: The information and instructions in this bulletin are intended for use by skilled technicians. Mazda technicians utilize the proper tools/
    equipment and take training to correctly and safely maintain Mazda vehicles. These instructions should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers.” Customers
    should not assume this bulletin applies to their vehicle or that their vehicle will develop the described concern. To determine if the information applies,
    customers should contact their nearest authorized Mazda dealership. Mazda North American Operations reserves the right to alter the specifications and
    contents of this bulletin without obligation or advance notice. All rights reserved. No part of this bulletin may be reproduced in any form or by any means,
    electronic or mechanical---including photocopying and recording and the use of any kind of information storage and retrieval system ---without permission in
    writing.
    © 2008 Mazda Motor of America, Inc.
    Subject:
    VARIABLE VALVE TIMING (VVT) NOISE WHEN STARTING ENGINE
    Bulletin No: 01-002/08
    Last Issued: 01/16/2008
    Service Bulletin Mazda North American Operations
    Irvine, CA 92618-2922
    MULTI-MODEL - VARIABLE VALVE TIMING (VVT) NOISE WHEN STARTING ENGINE
    BULLETIN NOTE
    This bulletin supersedes the previous bulletin 01-043/07 issued on 11/29/07. The REPAIR PROCEDURE and
    PART(S) INFORMATION have been revised.
    APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
    2007 Mazdaspeed3 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1BK******742222 (produced before April 1, 2007)
    2006-2007 Mazdaspeed6 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1 GG******109660 (produced before April 1, 2007)
    2007 Mazda CX-7 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3ER******166945 (produced before April 1, 2007)
    DESCRIPTION
    When the engine is first started, some vehicles may exhibit a loud ticking noise from the variable valve timing
    (VVT). This is caused by the lock pin of the variable valve timing actuator not fully engaging. Heat treatment has
    now been added around the hole of the variable valve timing rotor lock pin to prevent this from happening.
    Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.
    Page 2 of 2
    REPAIR PROCEDURE
    1. Verify customer concern.
    2. After the engine cools down, replace the variable valve timing actuator. Refer to VARIABLE VALVE TIMING
    ACTUATOR REMOVAL INSTALLATION [L3 WITH TC] on MS3 or in the Workshop Manual section 01-10.
    Also, you may refer to the Training job aid “Engine Timing Verification and Correction LF 2.0L and L3/L3T
    2.3L” on MS3.
    3. Change the engine oil (5W-30) only, then start and let the engine idle for 5 minutes. This is to remove contaminants
    from the engine.
    4. After the engine cools down, change the engine oil (5W-30) and filter.
    5. Verify repair.
    PART(S) INFORMATION
    WARRANTY INFORMATION
    NOTE:
    • This warranty information applies only to verified customer complaints on vehicles eligible for warranty
    repair. Refer to the Warranty Wizard for warranty term information.
    • Additional diagnostic time cannot be claimed for this repair.
    NOTE: This repair calls for the oil to be changed two times. Please claim part number 5555-EG-003R with
    quantity 12 for the oil as a related part number.
    Part Number Description Qty.
    L3K9-12-4X0B Variable Valve Timing Actuator 1
    L3K9-12-429 Washer 1
    0000-77-5W30-QT Engine Oil (5W-30) 12 (Quarts)
    L321-14-302-9U Oil Filter 1
    Warranty Type A
    Symptom Code 82
    Damage Code 9C
    Part Number Main Cause L3K9-12-4X0B
    Quantity 1
    Operation Number / Labor Hours: XXC0YXRX / 3.2 Hrs. (CX-7), 3.3 Hrs.
    (Mazdaspeed3), 3.6 Hrs. (Mazdaspeed6)
  • ;) Page 1 of 2
    CONSUMER NOTICE: The information and instructions in this bulletin are intended for use by skilled technicians. Mazda technicians utilize the proper tools/
    equipment and take training to correctly and safely maintain Mazda vehicles. These instructions should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers.” Customers
    should not assume this bulletin applies to their vehicle or that their vehicle will develop the described concern. To determine if the information applies,
    customers should contact their nearest authorized Mazda dealership. Mazda North American Operations reserves the right to alter the specifications and
    contents of this bulletin without obligation or advance notice. All rights reserved. No part of this bulletin may be reproduced in any form or by any means,
    electronic or mechanical---including photocopying and recording and the use of any kind of information storage and retrieval system ---without permission in
    writing.
    Subject:
    VARIABLE VALVE TIMING (VVT) NOISE WHEN STARTING ENGINE
    Service Bulletin Mazda North American Operations
    Irvine, CA 92618-2922
    MULTI-MODEL - VARIABLE VALVE TIMING (VVT) NOISE WHEN STARTING ENGINE
    BULLETIN NOTE
    This bulletin supersedes the previous bulletin 01-043/07 issued on 11/29/07. The REPAIR PROCEDURE and
    PART(S) INFORMATION have been revised.
    APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
    2007 Mazdaspeed3 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1BK******742222 (produced before April 1, 2007)
    2006-2007 Mazdaspeed6 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1 GG******109660 (produced before April 1, 2007)
    2007 Mazda CX-7 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3ER******166945 (produced before April 1, 2007)
    DESCRIPTION
    When the engine is first started, some vehicles may exhibit a loud ticking noise from the variable valve timing
    (VVT). This is caused by the lock pin of the variable valve timing actuator not fully engaging. Heat treatment has
    now been added around the hole of the variable valve timing rotor lock pin to prevent this from happening.
    Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.
    Page 2 of 2
    REPAIR PROCEDURE
    1. Verify customer concern.
    2. After the engine cools down, replace the variable valve timing actuator. Refer to VARIABLE VALVE TIMING
    ACTUATOR REMOVAL INSTALLATION [L3 WITH TC] on MS3 or in the Workshop Manual section 01-10.
    Also, you may refer to the Training job aid “Engine Timing Verification and Correction LF 2.0L and L3/L3T
    2.3L” on MS3.
    3. Change the engine oil (5W-30) only, then start and let the engine idle for 5 minutes. This is to remove contaminants
    from the engine.
    4. After the engine cools down, change the engine oil (5W-30) and filter.
    5. Verify repair.
    PART(S) INFORMATION
    WARRANTY INFORMATION
    NOTE:
    • This warranty information applies only to verified customer complaints on vehicles eligible for warranty
    repair. Refer to the Warranty Wizard for warranty term information.
    • Additional diagnostic time cannot be claimed for this repair.
    NOTE: This repair calls for the oil to be changed two times. Please claim part number 5555-EG-003R with
    quantity 12 for the oil as a related part number.
    Part Number Description Qty.
    L3K9-12-4X0B Variable Valve Timing Actuator 1
    L3K9-12-429 Washer 1
    0000-77-5W30-QT Engine Oil (5W-30) 12 (Quarts)
    L321-14-302-9U Oil Filter 1
    Warranty Type A
    Symptom Code 82
    Damage Code 9C
    Part Number Main Cause L3K9-12-4X0B
    Quantity 1
    Operation Number / Labor Hours: XXC0YXRX / 3.2 Hrs. (CX-7), 3.3 Hrs.
    (Mazdaspeed3), 3.6 Hrs. (Mazdaspeed6)
  • dj119dj119 Posts: 10
    Hello,

How did your hearing go? I am going the same thing right now and was curious.

Thanks, DJ119
  • SAME THING HERE! My mazda was taken in and they are claiming "sludge is the culprit, and wont fix is due to "lack of mantienacne. It only has 44,270 miles on it, THis is an outrage! MAZDA is scamming its comsumers. The 2007 model is a crap SUV and they need to own up to it! If anyone is interested on a class action lawsuit please contact me. This all happpend to me last week, and I am not finding out how they screw over so many other people. Just today they told me they would buy it from me for 3000, i laughed at them, and said so you can put a new engine it for nothing and sell it for 17,000! they are insane, and taking advantage of people, and I wont stand for it! They told me they could fix it for $10,000 i laughed again!!!
  • My Car is fixed and DID NOT TAKE IT TO THE DEALERSHIP I took it to a well known mechanic you just need to find one that has the right machine to fix the Mazda C-X, timing chain broke, cracked the head gasket, bent 4 values and so on. Mazda dealership said I need a rebuilt engine for $7,500. because the motor is gone, well my car has been repaired and ready for pick up today Thursday 2.25/2010 total due $3,027.00, ($1,340.00 labor) but engine WAS NOT GONE NOR WAS IT FROZEN LIKE THEY SAID.

BEWARE OF THE DEALERSHIP TAKE IT TO SOMEONE RESPONSIBLE AND YOU KNOW HAS GOOD REVIEWS ON THE REPAIR SHOP... THEY WILL FIX IT WITHOUT TRY TO MAKE YOU BUY A REBUILT ENGINE

ASK THEM IF THEY HAVE THE RIGHT MACHINE TO FIX IT AND LET THEM KNOW THAT IT IS AN INTERFACE ENGINE..THEY WILL KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS.. GOOD LUCK

I AM SO READY TO PICK THE CAR UP. I WILL MAKE SURE ALL MY OIL CHANGES ARE DONE AT THE SHOP THAT JUST FIXED MY CAR AND NOT THE MAZDA DEALERSHIP..THE ARE FULL OF HORSECRAP. :) :shades:

SINCERELY,

CHRISTINA TEXAS
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    (st,d)ealer's cannot afford to retain mechanics with enough expertise to tear an engine down and rebuild it and still pay their kids tuition at Harvard. Plus the profits from charging $7500 for a simple engine swap are a bit to hard to pass up when the opportunity arises.
  • I wrote back in September, where they wanted to replace the engine for 7,000 and they then settled for 6,500. After that was done 3 weeks later the turbine went and they wanted another 3,000. I got 8,000 for it.
  • i have a useless 07 cx7 with 39000 miles and a blown turbo mazda states there is sludge in engine and points to customers lack of maintenance not true have all my reciepts and sent them like they asked.they still will not warrant the turbo and say i have to pay around $9000 for a new engine and turbo.dealership in san antonio named ipac mazda owned by larry benson told me when i bought my vehicle new with 1600 miles that the 36000 mile bumper to bumper would extend to 37600 miles since i was the first owner not true according to mazda usa .nothing but head aches from this vehicle stay away from mazda and ipac mazda in san antonio,tx
    I am very much interested in a class action lawsuit against Mazda. I just had to pay 6500. for an used engine. I am going to dump this car as soon as I can. A course at a huge loss.
    How do we get started on the class action?

Diane
    Hello,

Did you ever get anywhere after sending letters to Mazda?

thanks, Diane
  • gentemiogentemio Posts: 13
    I have been ready for a class action law suit...I have all my records of maintenance. I paid for a new engine and then the turbine....No calls back from Mazda...this is a dangerous situation which could be similiar to Toyota. Maybe we should start sending information to our Congressmen and Senators....
  • nace818nace818 Posts: 140
    edited March 2010
    I only bought my 07 CX7 about 5 weeks ago. I did a little research before buying and found that the EPA # were 17/23 I believe. I calculated my mileage this week driving about 68 mph all interstate and my mileage is only 19 mpg. Something has to be wrong with it. I can't drive it any easier. Is this about what everyone else is getting? Is something wrong with mine? It is AWD, but shouldn't I get cloder to the top number driving that easy?
  • mccpatrimccpatri Posts: 3
    haha. . . . I'm sure the majority of us would love it if our only problem was getting 19 mpg. We've all had to replace engines. . . or have vehicles which are disabled. . . .You should get in a time machine, go back 5 weeks, and purchase a different vehicle. Good Luck in the future with it.
    You are right. I plan to trade it this weekend for a 32 mpg Sonata.
  • hec1893hec1893 Posts: 2
    turbo,sludge,timing problems all will require you paying out of pocket even if you have service records,mazda will still blame you with thier famous line "still points to customer neglect and lack of maintenance.
  • my 2007 mazda cx-7 quit pulling and i took it to ron epperson mazda. they said the turbo was the problem and there was sludge built up due to lack of maintence. i didn't have but 39,000 miles on it. i told them they are crazy. then they wanted to replace my motor for $9500.00. the warranty would not cover it.so i am paying for a piece of crap that i can't even drive. it has been 6months i have just gave up mazda seems to not care. i will never buy another mazda. i am more than pissed. and the people in their california offices are the most rude people i ever had to talk and they can kiss my butt. william and melissa self in ringgold, georgia i would be more than happy to join your lawsuit against mazda.......
    So I guess if my turbo or engine fails, since I bought it used and don't have the previous owner's maintanence records, I'm sol? It could be some service depts. are the culprits?
  • fonefixerfonefixer Posts: 247
    Driving the same 2007 cx-7 AWD model. Achieving 20 mpg all city driving. 55000 miles. Don't think any worse than other 4000 lb. AWD vehicles during winter in town usage. A couple of tips about MPG: Have your front end alignment checked--mine was out from new-- now getting an extra 2 MPG. Check your tires--keeping at 37 PSI, can make a big difference. Of course regular oil changes, (every 3~3750 miles) helps keep everything running smoothly. Using premium fuel? Using regular on the '07 will actually decrease performance and MPG.
  • Hello my name is Christina,
    My timing chair broke which cracked the head gasket, bent 4 values, and to replace 1 injector. I had a qualified mechanic shop fix this of course could only by the parts from Mazda dealer..Total $3,100.00 ($1300. labor charge), but runs great for now, had it towed to MAZDA DEALER IN CONROE, TEXAS (DONT GO THRU THEY WILL SCREW YOU ALL AROUND)

MAZDA DEALERSHIP TOLD ME MY ENGINE WAS FROZEN AND HAD TO BE REPLACED WITH A REBUILT ENGINE ONLY $7500.0 HAD THE TOW CO GO BACK AND PICK UP MY CX THE SAME DAY TOOK IT BACK TO WHERE I HAD IT DONE AND THIS IS WHERE THEY FOUND ALL THE PROBLEMS.

MY MECHANIC SAID THE PROBLEMS IS WITH THE SERVICE BULLENTIN ISSUE ALL MAZDA OWNERS BEWARE AS THIS SERVICE BULLENTIN REPORT IN 2008 VVT PROBLEM WITH CONTINUE TO GREAT WORSE IF NOT TAKEN CARE OF. I JUST PICKED UP MY VEHICLE ON 3/3/2010 HAD BEEN IN THE SHOP FOR 3WEEKS, THEY TOOK 3DAYS TO FIX BUT MAZDA DEALERSHIP TOOK FOREVER TO HAVE THE PARTS FOR MY MECHANIC.

I AM GOING DIRECTLY TO THE DEALERSHIP AND TELL THEM HEY REMEMBER YOU TOLD ME MY ENGINE WAS GONE/FROZEN.. I THINK NOT YOU LOSERS... I HAVE REPORTED THEM TO THE BBB IN TEXAS

GOOD LUCK, I WILL BE HAPPY TO BE PART OF A CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT AGAINST MAZDA ANYTIME.

HAVE A GREAT DAY. CHRISTINA ;)
    Yes I use the premium. I am afraid that regular will damage the engine. I have noticed it pulling to the right and a pretty good shaking above 70 mph. If the Sonata deal falls through, I'll try alignment and having the brake rotors turned. I was told they may be warped.
  • I have replaced an engine and turbo in my 2007cx-7 due to what the dealer claims was abuse. There was no abuse. I change out the oil and filters on a regular basis and ran a p/m as well. The dealer (Mike Bass Mazda in Avon, OH) replaced the engine and turbo for $8,500.00. If an suit becomes a reality please contact me because I would like to be included.
  • barb34barb34 Posts: 5
    Count me in on the class action lawsuit! This has been the worst experience I have ever had with a vehicle. It is an endless money pit!!!!
    So long fellow posters and Mazda. The Sonata deal fell through, but I found a really nice Buick Lucerne. I can honestly say I will not miss the CX7 even though I took a really big hit financially.
  • wiryanwiryan Posts: 1
    If anyone has the info i would like to be part of this law suit.. I am a Mechanic by trade and I was told that I had to Show proof of oil changes as well. And after reading this I have to take my CX7 in because the Turbo has taken a crap, and to have the valve train problem fixed.. Why didnt they sent out that info???
  • racerbobracerbob Posts: 1
    I too have had 1st the VVT actuator failure at 40,00mi and then the turbo failed at 70,000 mi... its an early '07.
    I bought it new and paid for an extended warraty from Western General. Both Mazda and WestGen have screwed me around on the "maintenance records" bit and I have paid a total of about $6000 to fix the car in the last 2 years.
    I would love to be part of any class action.... I will never get my monies worth out of the car.
    That being said, when it runs, IT RUNS great... and I get 28 mph on the highway...
    :mad:
  • gentemiogentemio Posts: 13
    I guess my question is now....where is the person who first suggested the class action suit???? I think there is enought out there to justify such a suit. Hopefully, everyone has their records. Did everyone file a complaint with the National Highway Safety people so it is on record and they are recording it??
    Hi,

I did not. How do you contact the National Highway Safety?
    I just paid $6800. to get mine fixed. I am sick over this mess!

Thanks, DJ
  • well thank u very much desertgirl1 i was crazy!!!!! about this car and i was just about to buy one wich the engine is thiking loudly like a diesel and i said to my self to make some researh come to find out they are not good car the engine does have problem thanks!