Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7 Engine Problems

1141516171820»

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,588

From what I've read, the extended warranty recall campaign issued by Mazda was only for 2007 to 2010 CX-7s, for both timing chain noise and for turbocharger problems. I have not been able to research exactly why the timing chain stretches and/or breaks but there is plenty of evidence on the 'Net that this was a common problem---also class action demands, lawsuits and of course, this actual recall. Since the recall was issued in 2012 and it covers only up to 2010, one hopes that the problem was corrected by Mazda in 2011.

• stevedcccstevedccc Posts: 4

Thanks and I sure hope so because I owe a lot of money on this 2011 (5 yr. loan)

Do you hear any unusual noises from the chain?

edited July 25

When...when idle or during acceleration? when idle maybe but could be just the belts. can you offer a description to keep me alert in the future? I know one should never try to start a car once the chain or belt breaks. I've only had this truck for 4k miles. It had 40k when I purchased it used few months back. Just wondering if I should try to sell in a year or two. Sounds like Mazda not a good company. This was my first. Previously, I have always owned Nissan's (maxima). After three in a row and a desire for a small SUV I decided to try something different. All my Nissan's NEVER broke (just oil changes and tires). I think after this I will be going back to Nissan. I just hope nothing serious breaks. Like I said before I owe a ton of money on this 2011 S Touring Turbo. I just really hope they fixed all the turbo, timing chain and a/c problems found in previous years. I'm using premium gas and synthetic of course. Don't know if prior owner did. Regardless, Mazda should never treat a second owner any differently. I would suggest those with timing issues to get a feel for your gas pedal. Don't force or punch it all the time when you know the power isn't there. Even so, timing chains should RARELY break...almost NEVER!

timing chain noise would be at idle--it sounds just like you'd expect---like a loose chain rattling around--- you know, like when your bicycle is between gears and trying to shift? Like that.

A timing chain is more likely to break on a sudden acceleration or even a sudden downshift. It's a fairly rare occurrence. Timing chains are...well....chains....they are usually pretty strong.

Re timing chain? I know the turbo issues obviously pertain to the turbo versions but is the timing chain an issue for the turbo models just the same as for the standard models? Also, if anyone knows if Mazda fixed these issues for the 2011-2012 years I would love to hear from.

Well the recall only covers to 2010, so maybe that's the cut off date.