Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7 Engine Problems

1232425262729»

Comments

• The engine in my 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 catastrophically failed this past Sunday.

Mazda, to my surprise, refuses to stand by the product and take care of the customer.

Read my story here: https://www.facebook.com/Mazda/posts/10153796263035363

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,421

How many miles were on the engine?

• 135,410...I know...it's "a lot". My beef with Mazda is simply, if I knew 2 years ago of potential issues with this componentry, I would have had it specifically checked out and replaced if necessary. $1000 spent then is a whole lot less than a new car now (and there's no way I'm spending $7000 on a new engine).

Is the entire engine really ruined or did does it just need cylinder head work?

• Unclear at this point. Is that even cost-effective?

Well yeah, sure it is...depending. If the timing chain broke, say, and smashed the timing case cover and even bent a few valves, that's all fixable at a reasonable price. Let's say the car, all fixed up, is worth $6000. And let's say repairing it would cost $3000. As it sits it's worth practically nothing. So, I was thinking....IF...you could get a firm estimate for repairs, and IF you could get Mazda to kick in something for "goodwill" (often, the best dealers do get a budget for "goodwill adjustments"), maybe it'd be worth it.

But you do have to be careful with this approach. What you DON'T want is to pay for a partial disassembly, only to learn the engine is totally toasted and there you are with a car in pieces.

• @MrShift@Edmunds said: But you do have to be careful with this approach. What you DON'T want is to pay for a partial disassembly, only to learn the engine is totally toasted and there you are with a car in pieces.

THIS is exactly what I don't want to happen. You have no way of knowing this without disassembling...

So you need a backup plan here. A brand new engine seems out of the question. Do you know any good independent repair shop that would swap in a used engine for you, if, upon removal of the cylinder head, they found internal engine damage in the bottom end of the engine (cylinder walls, pistons, etc). ?

Or maybe you could work out a deal with the dealer and Mazda to trade in your car, as is, on a new car or new lease?

• emontezemontez Posts: 1
    edited February 24
    OMG I bought my CX7 Used in October, it has been in shop more than my driveway! I see some of your posts are a few months old. Can someone update me on àny recourse, or class action against Mazda. My car was towed this morning! Timing chain has been replaced twice since October!
    [Email removed] please email me anything that might help me!
    #texas#