Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7 Engine Problems

Comments

• fonefixerfonefixer Posts: 247
    Driving a Cx-7 with 58000 miles. Heard a little "rattle" upon start up and brought in to selling Mazda dealer. Replaced water pump, timing chain, VVT actuator, some rear seals in the drivetrain. All covered under "powertrain warranty" with the only charge to me being a one day rental car. Dealer never said anything about taking pictures, oil sludge,etc.. Must be a huge difference in policy from one Mazda service dept. to the next. I wouldn't as a rule go 6,000 miles between oil changes, but that shouldn't cause "sludge" in the system. The Mazda service interval from the factory says 7500 miles between changes under 'normal" conditions.
  • nhanusnhanus Posts: 1
    I have a CX-7, purchased in April 2007. It was great for the first year or so, but I put a lot of miles on it and so I have seen and experienced nearly every single thing mentioned in this forum. But wait. There's more to come, if I'm the precursor for what you can all expect. I have 104,000 miles on my vehicle after three years -- I drive a lot. Today, large whining sound when accelerating. I'm being told it's probably the turbo. All of the maintenance questions raised in previous trips to the dealership have been raised again. "These turbos really need to have oil changes every 3,000 miles or so" is what I'm told. Of course, that's much more rigorous than what is recommended. I fortunately had a 100,000 warranty that covered all the other issues -- two valve and major repairs to the engine, the air compressor dying -- but now I'm over the warranty, and am sitting in the waiting room of the Mazda dealership waiting for the shoe to drop.

It seems unfair for Mazda to continue to not take responsibility for this vehicle being a lemon. The issues I'm having now are ones I expect many of you will have in the future. I'm just "lucky" enough to have put on more miles than most others who have this vehicle. I do know I'll be hauling out these forum posts and as much else as I can in arguing that Mazda should cover these costs.From what you have said here, I don't expect I'll get very far, but I will give it a try.
  • Hello, I have a CX7 2007 purchase used with 12,000 miles back in Aug 2008, we also do alot of driving and now have about 121,000 miles on this vehicle. We had issues with the timing chain breaking which cause alot of damage, crack the head, bent 2 valves also had 1 fuel injector replaces and of coarse only can buy the parts at the dealership. Dealership told me my engine was frozen gone/ whatever, took it to my Guy and fixed it without any warranty of coarse $3,055.00 CASH. Who has recommend the 3,000 oil changes and not the 7,000 We only use Mobil 1 Synthetic oil. recommends now 7,500 change now 7,000 (was previously 5,000). Let me know about the oil change recommendations. Thanks here in Texas :)
  • jschule11jschule11 Posts: 1
    Hello everyone! Just wanted to add my turbo problems to the forum. I purchased a used 2008 CX-7 from a Nissan dealership in March. There has been smoke coming from the exhaust ever since and nothing but the run-around from Mazda and Nissan in regards to fixing it. I am in contact with an attorney, but if there is a class action lawsuit, please let me know. My car is currently at the Mazda dealer and they are taking the cam cover off to take pictures to send to Mazda. If Mazda says that there is evidence of abuse or failure to maintain, they will not cover it. I obviously do not have any maintenance records, as I JUST bought the car. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • tpleskonkotpleskonko Posts: 2
    I got my final bill on Friday. 3,000.00. My attorney is moving forward.
    When buying used, make sure the warranty is first transferable to a 2nd buyer and then get it in writing. Always transact any business with a dealer IN WRITING. You didn't mention the mileage on the vehicle, but Mazda should cover the engine/power train for 5 years or 60,000 miles. The Nissan dealer probably doesn't have the knowhow to work on that car under warranty--Mazda would be your best bet. Suggest having all documentation in order before proceeding with attempted warranty repair.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    There are KNOWN problems with DFI turbocharged engines.

Most modern day engines, including the CX-7, use EGR, Exhaust Gas Recirculation to reduce pumping losses. With no EFI/SFI to continuously "wash" the EGR "residue" from the intake valves, intake valve runners, the valves and runners quickly become coated with this exhaust residue.

That's probably why Lexus makes use of SFI along with DFI. SFI for/during simple cruising, and DFI for POWER/WOT mode.

TurboCharger engines MUST run in derated/detuned mode ~98% of the time, "off-boost" time. Absent TurboCharging the Mazda DISI (DFI) engine could have a CR more in the range of 12:1. Instead the engine only has a CR of ~10:1 resulting in a less complete burn of the A/F mixture that 98% of the time you're just simply cruising along at a relative constant speed.

"less complete burn"....And at part throttle, simple cruising, EGR brings, continuously brings, hour after hour, the high carbon content residue right back into the intake manifold.

Had I purchased a CX-7, as I almost did, I would now either find a way to mill the engine head to get a base/static 12:1 CR, and tying(***) the turbo wastegate fully OPEN, or block the EGR path.

*** "tying..wastegate.."...Or find a way to limit the boost level, prevent an overboost condition with the CR now at 12:1.
  • boogitybopboogitybop Posts: 21
    Our Mazda cx7's engine just failed due to timing chain failure. Mazda refuses to help in any way. I've contacted a law firm to see about a class action lawsuit against these criminals. If there is already a lawsuit going on I would like to be notified. If not I would like everyone who is interested in this to send me their email so I can forward it to the the attorneys. Boogitybop@aol.com

Thank you
  • tank406tank406 Posts: 2
    I have found 100s of blogs from 2007 CX-7 Owners just like me. My Story:

Purchased a used 2007 CX-7 with 31,000 miles (still under warranty, allegedly). Drove it for four months to the day, 34,000 miles on it now. White smoke, knocking engine. Mazda requests past oil changes which I have one. Mazda presents me with a $4,100 estimate to fix replace the turbo, engine repair and timing chain. Notice that in January of 2008, Mazda North American Operations put out a Service Bulletin No. 01-002/08 describing this exact problem. However the bulletin clearly states "Only to verified customer complaints on vehicles eligible for warranty repair." GREAT! it can be fixed, Mazda says so! Oh, what? Not so fast. Mazda tech says there is a sludging problem therefore VOIDING the warranty. But the service bulletin says it can be fixed due to my complaint. After further research I discover that the turbo system in this car has an engineering problem causing WAY! to much heat for normal use, therefore burning oil, therefore causing sludge. Mazda uses this "evidence of sludge" caused by them! to claim that the owner did not maintain their vehicle, therefore "your warranty has been voided." Mazda is trying to avoid a Recall on this for obvious costly reasons. I have contacted an attorney and he is currently working on my case. Until then I have a 3,000 pound paper weight with a $15,000 note. Thanks Mazda.
  • tank406tank406 Posts: 2
    Ive had the same issue, presented this Service Bulletin to Mazda and they don't care. The corporate customer service rep actually said, "Too Bad." Thanks, Paul. you [non-permissible content removed]!

here is my story:

I have found 100s of blogs from 2007 CX-7 Owners just like me. My Story:

Purchased a used 2007 CX-7 with 31,000 miles (still under warranty, allegedly). Drove it for four months to the day, 34,000 miles on it now. White smoke, knocking engine. Mazda requests past oil changes which I have one. Mazda presents me with a $4,100 estimate to fix replace the turbo, engine repair and timing chain. Notice that in January of 2008, Mazda North American Operations put out a Service Bulletin No. 01-002/08 describing this exact problem. However the bulletin clearly states "Only to verified customer complaints on vehicles eligible for warranty repair." GREAT! it can be fixed, Mazda says so! Oh, what? Not so fast. Mazda tech says there is a sludging problem therefore VOIDING the warranty. But the service bulletin says it can be fixed due to my complaint. After further research I discover that the turbo system in this car has an engineering problem causing WAY! to much heat for normal use, therefore burning oil, therefore causing sludge. Mazda uses this "evidence of sludge" caused by them! to claim that the owner did not maintain their vehicle, therefore "your warranty has been voided." Mazda is trying to avoid a Recall on this for obvious costly reasons. I have contacted an attorney and he is currently working on my case. Until then I have a 3,000 pound paper weight with a $15,000 note. Thanks Mazda.
  • CHRISTINAJENKINS2005@YAHOO.COM

PLEASE SUBMIT MY EMAIL ADDRESS TO WHOEVER STARTS THE LEGAL BATTLE OF A LAWSUIT AGAINST JAPAN/MAZDA. LEMON CRAP A... CAR SORRY DIDN'T SOUND NICE BUT WITH THIS LARGE CAR NOTE AND ALL THE REPAIRS I HAVE HAD TO PAY UNTIL TODAY 6/9/2010 $5,235.00 CASH NO WARRANT CRAPPY 35,000 WARRANTY BUT EVEN WITH THAT THEY ARE NOT GOING TO COVER SAYING ALL OF US ARE NOT TAKING CAR OF THE LEMON CAR THAT PUT ON TO FAST AND ON OUR US LAND... :lemon: :P
    send me your email address and any others you can find for people in his situation. I've already had enough of a response.
    boogitybop@aol.com
    Driving a 2007 Cx-7 with 60,000 miles. Noticed a slight , but not loud "rattling noise" upon cold start up and brought car in to the franchised Mazda dealer service department. Dealer replaced water pump, timing chain, VVT actuator, and rear seals in the drivetrain. Only cost to me was a rental car for one day. Covered under 5 year /60,000 mile drivetrain warranty. No hassle about "sludge" or any other issue with previous maintenance such as oil change receipts. Dealer does highly recommend saving every piece of maintenance records for possible future warranty backup reasons. A huge difference in service department methods of operation!
  • dj119dj119 Posts: 10
    I just spent $6800. to have my 07 Mazda fixed. I then dumped it at a Toyota dealer for a new Rav 4. Unless Toyota is man enough to fess up to their issues. Can't say the say at all for mazda. What a bunch of loser! I will clap the day they are finally caught over ripping all of us off! Add me to the suit. I have the old part in my garage waiting for a lawsuit!

Diane in Columbus Ohio
    Ricart sucks.
    golfertom@sbcglobal.net
  • nace818nace818 Posts: 140
    Guys, it sounds like all the problems start around the 35,000 mile mark. After reading all of this I also dumped mine on a Buick dealer. Now have a Lucerne. It scared me when after just a little spirited driving, it smelled like it was about to burn up. Sorry for the poor sap that buys it.
  • basunndaybasunnday Posts: 3
    edited June 2010
    My 2007 CX7 has 59,300 miles on it. It is in the shop getting a new ac compressor, and check up before the powertrain warranty is out. About 4,000 miles ago I brought it in for engine noise and they replaced the VVT Valve. They did not replace the timing chain or water pump like many are saying. They did cover the VVT valve under warranty. Will replacing only the valve prevent the timing chain from breaking, or should I replace it now? Any thoughts appreciated.

I still don't think the engine sounds right, the check engine light was on and off. But all they could come up with is a throttle sensor is bad, and the ac compressor was ready to go out, none covered under warranty with a $1,000 estimate. Sorry for all who experience major engine damage. This is all totally wrong and Mazda needs to come clean on all these issues, good luck with the lawsuits.
    well at this point my mechanic and I have torn this engine down. He's baffled at the way they've designed the thing. He is basically saying this is a disposable engine. it hasn't been built to be torn down. there are elements missing in the design. We are photographing and documenting everything we're doing.

If you are hearing any ticking noise at all you better take it back because this is one of two chains in the engine. the actual timing chain did not break in mine. the secondary chain broke. I don't know what this chain does but it came off the cogs and bent the timing chain. there are also bulletins from Mazda recommending to change parts of this engine. much like a recall but without the liability. I am very disappointed in this company. I always thought they were a good company but it turns out they are just like all the others.

I'm a little like a pitt bull when it comes to things like this and I plan to do something about this.

Good luck
  • i have had problems with my mazda would be happy to help with lawsuit any way i can turbo went out at 39000 miles and mazda gave me the same sludge in engine routine and won't fix my car
  • 64221306422130 Posts: 41
    I bought a 2008 used last winter with 12K miles. I called Mazda to get service history and they had history of an oil change at 7K. I immediately had the oil changed at 12K and have changed every 3k since. My questions are whether the 2008's have actual improvements to the engine and whether people with denied claims have similar oil change history available when their warranty is being denied.
  • dj119dj119 Posts: 10
    I think all of us have oil change records. Mazda doesn't care. It still uses the same sludge excuse because they know they have a huge design issue. The need to be held accountable just like Toyota was.