Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7 Engine Problems

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    edited August 2010
    Going all the way back to the mid-fifties if I owned a vehicle that I even thought required weekly inspection of maintainance items I would get a quick divorce from same. Not even our pre-fifties farm tractors required that level of care/attention.

The mules, yes, but daily.
  • fonefixerfonefixer Posts: 247
    Shows how (in my mind) how fragile and more or less unreliable the newer cars are. When it comes down to it....how many new car owners can drive 100,000 miles with no major breakdowns?
  • I think we all are taking care of this colossal piece of crap. I had my oil changed every 3000 to 3500 miles. I have two Ford trucks with over two hundred thousand miles, a Honda with 96,000 and a jacked up Jeep with 70,000 and this piece of crap couldn't make it to 70,000. Guess what? not an ounce of sludge in the engine, my mechanic said it was spotless. It was BAD ENGINEERING! Not the timing chain initially, the oil timing chain. As soon as it's fixed - it's gone. My advice to everyone.
  • Im sorry for you that thinking checking a belt is going to make a condensor not break.. One has nothing to do with the other.. How does checking a belt or anything else you site cover Mazda releasing the 3 directives about VVT being bad, the smoking and how to fix it and about the turbo not draining back properly after being turned off.. Will checking my belts fix that too? Or would that be the windshield wiper fluid??
    I did change my oil and performed maintenance as stated by the maual.. I am not a mechanic and refuse to check a new car every week.. My husband is too busy defending our country so he cant check it..To me that is putting reliability in question.. We have a Toyota Tundra that has as many miles the Mazda and not a single problem.. We change the oil, normal maintenance and that is it!!.... Honda Pilot 90k miles on it at trade in.. Not a single issue.. Never checked the belts weekly and so on... Oh, but wait.. Honda did that the since enough to recall items when the thought they were an issue.. It was a first year model also.. NO problems...
  • fonefixerfonefixer Posts: 247
    Why would any one trade in a Honda Pilot w/ 90,000 miles and not one single problem? That vehicle should have years of trouble free life ahead of it. I keep cars for atleast 100 to 200,000 miles unless the mechanics/electrical are bad--- and if my cx-7 at 60,000 has anything major go wrong in the next 40,000 miles, well, that will be it for Mazda! Drove an Audi A6 for 6 years /100,000 miles--very poor engineering and would never drive Audi again!
  • traded my cx7 in for a freaking 2011 kia sorento yesterday and i am so happy to finally be able to drive on regular unleaded again and not have to worry about all the cx7's problems. I got $15,000 from kia for my cx7 and i feel like i screwed them lol. Pretty sad when that im happier driving a 160hp kia than a 244hp turbocharged mazda. Good going mazda, you outdid yourselves on this one.
  • Yeah, Im still asking myself the same question.. I know the new owners still are loving my old Pilot...LOL
    Must be cause of all the weekly checks I didn't do or all the non-maintenance I didn't perform..LOL
    You better believe that when the Mazda comes back I will be right back at Honda begging for forgiveness and buying another Pilot...
  • blin279blin279 Posts: 21
    edited August 2010
    "....how many new car owners can drive 100,000 miles with no major breakdowns? " by fonefixer.

Hi fonefixer! You could be right. The key word here is "NOW" and it is missing in your statement! I would ask: ... how many new car owners NOW can drive 100,000
    miles w/o major breakdowns?
    Here is my story. I purchased my first Mazda 626 4 cyl 2.0 in 1995. In 2008 I sold that car (176,000 miles) to my co-worker. His son still drives that car! It has ~230,000 miles for the time being! I did not have any breakdowns AT ALL! Just regular maintenance. Yes, I did check that car weekly between scheduled maintenance just to make sure that everything was OK. But it was practically useless! Everything was fine every time I looked under the hood.
    IMHO, Mazda is a very reliable car! But CX-7 w/Turbo in particular is A NASTY JOKE! All that MTO (Mazda Turbo Ordeal) prevented me from buying a new CX-7 last year. However I am looking at CX-7 non turbo engine. It has been a year since that model was released. I did not find any major complaints so far (fingers crossed).
  • Yes, The AC condensor..
  • So my husband has been making some calls.. Spoke to the guy at NHTSA and he has heard of the complain before.. He is going to put an allert on any complaints that come in here after.. ANY problems you have had with your 2007 Mazda CX7 write them about it.. A/C, timing chains, turbos, transmissions etc. They are now watching for these so the process will happen quicker.. Takes just a few minutes to fill out the complaint online.. They can force Mazda to do recalls.. They told my husband they made Saturn do a recall for a premature timing belt breakage.. Web site is SAFERCAR.GOV and select on the top right file a complaint.. It is fine to comiserate on here but letting them know will get this fixed if they get enough complaints. Would hate for someone to get hurt when we could prevent it.
  • So I was on the web site filing my complaint and I looked for injuries that have occured in our cars. There is a complaint for 2009 Qtr 2 for power train failure cause an injury accident.. Lets get those complaints in!!
  • gabswissgabswiss Posts: 2
    edited September 2010
    Hi,I just registered to share my experience.

I took my CX-7 to have it serviced yesterday (regular oil change/transmission fluid change) at the Mazda dealership (always take it there).
    I told them to check the car cause we've been experiencing lack of acceleration recently (when going up hill mostly) and black smoke when accelerating every few weeks.
    Guy over there calls me mid day to tell me there is carbon residue all over the place so they need to clean/flush that to fix my lack of acceleration issue and I will be good to go. Thats when I decided to do some reseraches and found this thread.
    Upon reading the problem about VVT actuator,timing chain etc...I decided to call them and told them about that I also told them I'm hearing some pinging sometimes.
    They then decided to investigate further and they discovered the timing chain is at its breaking point.
    So they have my car in the shop now and they are contacting Mazda for the repair.
    One thing I'm worried about is I waited 10000miles for the last service (guy called me about that asking if I did the service somewhere else and if I have record.)

I dont know if the engine is damaged or what kind of repair need to be done. Will have further info later today.

BTW car have 41000miles

:sick:
  • I expect to drive a new automobile 100,000 miles wth no major breakdowns and so far my 07' cx-7 has been about what I would call "average." At 45,000 the 2 timing chains, VVT actuator, water pump were replaced under warranty with little drama. One day service and no discussion about sludge or non warranty repair bills.Not a exactly a minor repair, but didn;'t leave me stranded along side the road as all I heard was a slight "rattle" and took the vehicle in for investigation. Currently at 61,000 miles, if I can make it another 40,000 w/o major issues , will have been satisfied with the Mazda. Otherwise, will have had my fill of turbo type engines. Drove an Audi A6 twin turbo for 100,000 miles and 6 years--very poorly engineered and unreliable car.
  • Unless there is sludge it shouldn't be a problem but I can almost assure you it will be. Mazda is really showing their true colors in this regard. If they fail to help you in any way send me your e mail address and I will put you on our list. Also got the Better business Bureau in Los Angeles where Mazda has there headquarters and file a complaint then file a complaint with SAFERCAR.GOV.
    (boogitybop at aol dot com)
  • I was both relieved and even more irrate when I came across this forum!
    My CX-7 has been sitting since last September when first diagnosed with sludge and then the warranty voided at the dealership. They dismantled the valve cover gasket and the sludge is plainly visable through the top of the engine, around the cranks and the timing chain. I had blamed this on poor oil changes but now am realizing there is more than just careless oil changes surrounding this chaos.
    Please include me in any distro's concerning this topic and I will begin the letters to every agency I can find an address for. Looks like the BBB, Mazda Corporate and State Representatives are a good start.
    john.bosserman at gmail dot com
  • ranger1500ranger1500 Posts: 4
    edited September 2010
    Ok, to the guy who only expects his car to only last 100,000 miles with no major problems, you are cheating yourself. A car should go for much much more than that without any major issues. My 92 silverado has well over 200,000 miles on it and the most major thing ive done to it is replace the tires. Heck, my uncle owns a 1981 Toyota Celica with 475,000 miles on it. There is nothing "average" about an car going through two timing chains by 45,000 miles. These early model CX7's are crap you should be able to go at least 150,000 mi on a timing chain. I hope you got the extended warranty on your mazda and kept all of your maintinence records because if not your next 45,000 miles are goning to be expensive.
  • My engine failed on me a couple of months ago, and I was just so lucky enough to have mechanical breakdown coverage with my insurance company. Mazda was trying to charge me $8,000 to replace the engine so I got very, very lucky. My insurance paid the entire thing (aside from the $250 deductible). And the funny thing is, is that I didn't even realize I had this coverage on my car. I just happen to call them to see if there was anything they could do. So I urge all of you to call your insurance companies to see if you have that same coverage.
    As soon as my car was fixed I traded it in immediately!! I will never buy a Mazda again after the way they have treated me and everyone else.
    I have also talked to a lawyer who said his friend who deals with class actions is interested in persuing this case.
  • Driving an early 2007 CX-7 with 65000 miles. Water pump, vvt actuator, and both timing chains replaced so far. Average repairs for this model?
  • Our 2007 CX7 has 27,000 miles. We've been very happy with it. No problems, still looks and runs like new. A couple of weeks ago, my wife told me it makes a "funny noise" when she first starts it. I heard it once or twice, but since she drives it all the time, I didn't think much of it. Last week, she said it was making the noise every time she starts it. I heard it again and scheduled a service appt. Fortunately, it made the "rattling" noise at start-up when the service guy was writing me up. They called a few hours later, said it was a major deal, timing chain, and "hoped" to have it ready by tomorrow. I assumed the car was out of warranty since it's 4 years old, but the service guy said it would all be covered under the 60,000 mile power train warranty. It was last at the dealer a year ago at 17000 for an oil change. Since then, I've had 2 more oil changes, and have receipts, but they never asked about that. Guess I'm lucky in that the dealer is taking care of this. Makes me kinda wonder why given all the problems other have had.
  • loucx7loucx7 Posts: 1
    I own a 2007 Mazda CX 7 with 37,000 miles. After months of living with a loud "tapping" noise from the engine (the dealer kept saying that it was normal), I did some research and found that Mazda sent out a service notice saying that the VVT module on early production models had to be replaced. Armed with this info I returned tp my dealer. The service manager reviewed the info and checked my vehicle. He informed me that the timing chain was so badly worn that he would not recommend driving the car any further. He said that Mazda would replace the timing chain under the vehicle's power-train warranty and that the job would take 2-3 days to complete after they located a new timing chain.
    The dealer provided me with a rental car and the job took almost a week to complete.
    I'm very happy with my CX 7 and my dealer (Mazda of Knoxville) has been great; my engine has never sounded as quiet as it does now.
    It appears that after being in denial for a long time, Mazda Corporate is finally facing up to the fact that they have had a problem with early production units of the CX7.