Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL 1999-2003

Comments

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,118
    Relax, it seems to me you bought yourself a nice car, not a nightmare. Let us know what the Acura dealer says.

Let's assume the worst, and the transmission fails. Acura has extended the warranty on the transmissions on the 2000 - 2003 model years to 100,000 miles or 7 years, whichever comes first. Therefore, the bottom line is that your car is still covered and will be for a while longer. Unless you put on a lot of miles, the 7 years will expire before the mileage.

So, enjoy your nice Tl and stop worrying.

By the way, zin0, what does "sup" mean?
  • zin0zin0 Posts: 6
    :( bad news.. I called the acura dealer and my VIN does have "any" kind of warrenty. and i just dropped all this money on this car, i just found all this out, and now i'm really worried, because i didn't get a warrenty off the dealer i purchased the car off. i just wanted a ncie car and it is turning into a nightmare. i'm scared the tranny is gonna go on me.. and im gonna be screwed. and btw sup is a short way of saying "whats up" lol
    they say VIN numbers 19000 and below were the ones infected. my last 5 numbers are 70000 something, so maybe ill luck out. and more of the acura TL S type were infected too. that's prolly why i dont have factory warranty because of my VIN number./..
    From what I know, the majority of 2000-2003 TLs DON'T have premature transmission failures. Now, that leaves a minority, and maybe it's a significant minority, who do experience failures, but from a probability standpoint you probably wont have a problem. Make sure you keep up with maintenance and avoid aggressive driving, and your car will probably provide you with great service and satisfaction.

Assuming the dealer is correct, is it possible that your car is not covered because it is not one of the failure prone ones? I'd get a second opinion from a another dealer, without mentioning a thing about the first dealer.

By the way, what kind of car and model year did you trade in for your TL?
    I didn't trade anything in i bought this car straight up cash.. and im on my way to get a warranty off the dealer where i purchased the car right now.
    :lemon: I just got back from the dealer, Her computer wasn't working, so she couldn't get me the warranty today. So i came home and i asked for my fathers opinion. he said i should just ride the car out and take a chance. And i think that's just what i'm gonna do. The owner of the dealership told me that he's been selling the TL for years and no ones ever came back to him with something wrong. And that most of the cars were fixed by now. Plus the warranty only covers 2 years then it expires, so theres no way i'm gonna pay $1800. for 2 years. Guess i just need good luck on my side... pray for me guys. :lemon:
    "The owner of the dealership told me that he's been selling the TL for years and no ones ever came back to him with something wrong."

Ah, come on, your dealer couldn't be telling you the truth when he told you this. How does that square with, "most of the cars were fixed by now." The two statements conflict. That said, though, I'd follow your father's suggestion.

Good Luck! Let us know what happens.
  • I bought this low mile car off of a lease with 24kmiles. I drive to and from work about 1.9 miles each way. I have a garage and only drive about 7500miles/yr. I bought an Acura thinking I could keep this car for 200k miles and never have a problem. Boy was I wrong. Acura won't do anything to help me. I don't understand it? Now I hear that the car has a faulty transmissioni.... I thought the Japanese car manufacturer's really built quality vehicles. Well, I'm concluding that American made cars have improved their quality- and the Japanese cars are really no better engineered than American made cars. I too, like other people in the forum, look for advice, and the picture into the crystal ball to predict how long we can go without major failure. I owe $3700 on the car- Trade was about $9400 with a good engine. Now I'm thinking of buying simply a Chevy Malibu. I'm terribly disappointed and like another person on a different forum, would like to know who will listen and what recourse I may have. I too have read others who have replace their tranny 4 times. My warranty (extended due to recall) will expire in March of this year....Any advice would be greatly appreciated- opinions are welcome.
    You cite twin problems, a failed engine and a faulty transmission. On the transmission, it appears as though you've got until some time in March to have it repaired under warranty, so that's good news. Okay, maybe it's not good news, since you'll have to put up with the hassle of having out transmission fixed, but at least you shouldn't be out any money.

Regarding the engine, you don't provide any details. Just which component or components have failed? Do you know why it/they failed?

As you probably know, driving 1.9 miles is hard on the engine, since it cannot fully warm up. The result is that deposits build up in the engine. To reduce the harm done by your short trips, I'd recommend synthetic oil, such as Mobil 1, and change the oil according to the maintenance schedule in your owners manual. If you don't have an owners manual (most dealers dispose of them when they sell used cars), obtain one. It may be too late for the engine in your TL, but it's something to keep in mind for the future.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.
  • totokubatotokuba Posts: 1
    The digital odometer light in my 2002 TLS does not work. Can anybody out there help me fix this problem?
  • Have you had any more issues with the trany? My 2000 TL just blew out with 81k. They said they are using the "redesigned parts". Most of the older reviews have multiple rebuilds. If I'm going to drop the cash, just want to make sure that they have figured out the problems. Thanks for your help.
  • shiva70shiva70 Posts: 7
    I had my 99 TL transmission replaced with some redesigned parts - Acura picked up 40% of the cost, the other 60% was me - ended up spending like $1200.

So far no problems, but it has been only 3 months/ 3k miles since I had mine replaced.

Good luck with your replacement !
    I have a '99 with 116,000 miles on it, and the original transmission, which was the old 4-speed, not the 5-speed automatic introduced in for '00. How many miles did your '99 have on it when the transmission went, shiva70?
  • shiva70shiva70 Posts: 7
    I had 78k miles when transmission started giving problems, by then I had the car for 9.75 years.
    That's relatively low mileage. Had the transmission fluid ever been changed?
  • ok- Here is the outcome- Engine: Turns out, the insurance company, after doubting me, and refusing to split the difference, hired an engineer and performed oil-analysis at the cost of $1500, only to find out that I was right. The engine did hydrolock about 18 months ago and 14,000 miles. So anyone that tells you an engine won't run after being hydrolocked is simply wrong. Transmission- The Acura dealership, or I should really say, one particular individual, was terrific. As soon as they took the car for a ride, they agreed that there was a problem, and replaced it at no cost- under warranty. I had only driven the car 24,000 miles after purchasing the vehicle- so had not changed the fluid. And on that note- unless you do it yourself- or no how, the risk might be greater than the reward. I had a long time ago, serviced the rear differential on a Chevy Blazer which had only 30k miles. My father questioned why I was doing it. I said because that is what is recommended. 2 weeks later, the rear-pinion seal broke, fluids drained, and I limped back to the dealership (where it was serviced) with the gears almost melted. The dealership, refused to take ownership. So caution- find a good mechanic you can trust. By the way- my father recommended a great mechanic who installed a used engine (54k miles) for two grand including labor.
    Interesting accounts, Dan. Although I'm not a mechanic, I've had a life-long interest in cars, and I had never heard or read about an actual example of hydrolocking, in Edmunds or elsewhere. For this reason. I imagine that hydrolocking is very rare. Did your dealer tell you what caused the hydrolocking phenomenon to occur in your engine?
  • They Hydrolock occurred from when I got caught driving home in deep water... I knew the possibility...air filter was wet...and no one was for sure that water was induced into engine. The insurance company did not handle the first claim correctly..just sent it to the body shop to repair the fog light, turned on the engine, and said the car was fine...when, of course, it wasn't.
    Thanks for the explanation, Dan. I hope you get many good miles from your new engine.
  • ohheckohheck Posts: 2
    This is a little late as I just found/joined this forum. However, your acura dealer probably meant that your TL Vin # was not in the range of transmissions affected and therefore wasn't covered by their extended warranty. I also just purchased an '03 TL and my Vin # is well outside the highest # Vin of the cars with problem transmissions. Now, does that mean I won't experience the problem....who knows. Check your Vin # against the link to check for sure. In the mean time, enjoy your car.

http://www.autosafety.org/uploads/AcuraTransTSB.pdf