Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Impala Starting/Stalling Problems

13»

Comments

• try your MAF senser that was the prob with my 03 it costs about 610 at a dealer ship but it comes with a 12month 12000 mile waranty
  • MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN A MECHANIC FOR OVER 40 YRS CERTIFIED....fOR WHAT THAT'S WORTH WITH THIS IMPALA. 2002 3.4 IMPALA..

PARTS WE REPLACED:

IAC
    TPS,
    CRANK SENSOR 24X
    FUEL PUMP
    FUEL INJECTORS (6)
    PLUGS/WIRES.
    WE DID A WHOLE TOP END REMAN, THERE IS NO VACUUM LEAKS. THE ENGINE IS RUNNING GREAT AND SOUNDS GREAT ONLY WHEN YOU HOLD THE THROTTLE OPEN. WE ARE STILL GETTING RANDOM MISFIRES AND THAT'S THE ONLY CODE P300. pLEASE HELP IN OVER 3 YEARS I HAVE SPENT OVER 12,000 ON THIS PIECE OF... BUT I NEED THIS VEHICLE, I HAVE TWO HANDICAPPED BOYS THAT NEED TO GET TO THEIR DR.S APPS
  • Every time I go to start my 2001 Chevrolet Impala, it takes at least three tries before it cranks. its giving me what I remembered being a pf420 code below threshold. I replaced my o2 censor before the cat converter but no cigar. I also believe my alternator is falling behind because the brightness of all of the interior and ext lights fluctuates as well.

I was told it was probably a crank sensor but wanted a second opinion before I go spending that money.
  • I assume you meant P0420 in your post. I did not see any mention of the crank sensor in this information: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0420

They mention a faulty cat or a faulty O2 sensor. The sensor after the cat is reading the same as the sensor before the cat.
  • sheldon7sheldon7 Posts: 2
    There seem to be several causes for this problem. I had the problem of randomly dying every few weeks while at idle or really low load driving. I think I fixed it with a new Idle air controller. In addition, this was also causing a bad (slow) shift into first gear for the first shift on a cold or coolish day and then the transmission would detect it and up the pressure. The idle was just too low sometimes and caused both problems. I had tried cleaning the MAF sensor, but while it may have helped it came back eventually.
  • Like many post here I'm having an issue with stalling. At first it was very seldom and now it seems to happen at least once whenever I'm driving.

When I initially start the car there's no problem with it turning over. The problem occurs when I'm at a complete stop like at a stop light or when I'm almost stopped (like rolling up to a stop sign). When I attempt to restart the car it turns back over with no problem, usually on the first try and will normally run for the rest of my drive. I have noticed just recently there's a bit of a struggle to accelerate at times and the rpm gage doesn't seem to reflect the speed that I'm going. Where do I even begin??! In dire need of some conformed advice!
  • My impala was doing the same thing, random dying on me, wouldnt start all the time. I am a mechanic in the army i know a little about troubleshooting and following wires. This was the worst headache of my life, my car was throwing crankshaft codes on both sensors, both o2 sensors and egr fault as well. i changed the crankshaft sensors both of them the 7x and 24x i changed the o2 sensors and the camshaft sensor as well. still nothing has changed i have a mexican jumping bean when leaving from stop signs and when barely pressing on the gas. i was late for work one day when my car wouldnt start for me at all, i got out got under the hood and was looking around i found a stripped wire on my Igntion module. Fiddled with the wire had my b uddy start the car it started right up, went straight to NAPA Auto Parts(wont go anywhere else to find the right part right away) Got a new plug. Changed the plug out, and havent had a problem with starting since. Still have a jumping when i start out from stop signs and lights. Changed the O2 sensors out tonight, while plugging everything back in i pulled on the egr plug(drivers side of ICM five wire plug) car shut off. Plan on changing that plug ASAP.

As to most of the posts on this thread it seems like you all have the same problems just different ways of explaining them. if you are still having problems in these areas i would start by checking all your connections to you ICM there are three plugs one for you egr one for your crankshaft sensor and the other one is for i forgot but its the two pin on the passenger side check all of the wire since they are so close to the engine any jumping of them whiole driving could have melted the coating away and shorted them or the plug itself went bad from years of heating up cooling off heating up cooling off chevy didnt think about cooling of this engine very well. I have changed my two small fans over i went with the most expense fans i could buy from napa the bill is a little high but in the long run its better to have a cooler engine with this chevy fail burning out all of the electronics. If you want to upgrade your fans to keep it cool just go into your local napa and ask them for your year radiator with the police package, its def worth it gotta say i love mine and wont trade it for anything. i hope this helps some of you that are so frustrated with these problems i will be posting if i find anything else out after i change my egr vavle plug to the ICM. if anyone has any other questions feel free to ask i dont mind experimenting on my car to help you all out.
  • i just recently bought a 2006 impala and didnt have an issues with it until a month or so ago. i had to have the fuel pump replaced and it was still having problems starting, so i got the mass airflow sensor changed as well.. it worked fine for about a week and now it stalls at random times and it wont start unless i try 5 or 6 times and sometimes i even have to pull the fuel pump fuse and start it then put it pack in to get it to start... i work at a GM dealership but the mechanics have absolutely no clue as to whats wrong because the car has no check engine lights and no hidden codes anywhere... i need help on figuring out whats wrong with it... some friends who know about cars say it could be a fuel pressure regulator but my mechanic says it would be more constant, and others say it could be a faulty fuel pump that got put in.... im still paying off the car so any advice on what to check would be greatly appreciated!
  • My 2003 Impala was stalling while at highway speeds, not starting when the engine was luke warm and occasionally the engine seemed to be out of sink with its various components (which I originally thought was the transmission since I slowly lost power and I had to up the RPM"S to keep it going). It was the Crankshaft Position Sensor aka the CKP. I had it replaced and I have had no problems since.

13»