Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

trying to find my old car

Comments

• Back in 1976 I bought a 1974 Dodge Charger. I would love to find that car.
    Anyone know where I begin?

Thank you,

Shirley
  • ship4ldship4ld Posts: 2
    I'm trying to find my first car. 1968 Ford Mustang. I could use some ideas, I don't have the vin number. Thanks
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,640
    Pretty near impossible to find old cars like these, especially if you don't have a VIN. Neither state DMVs nor CARFAX keep records that old, and unless the car was a low production collectible, car clubs probably don't keep registries. If you have a VIN, you can try advertising in Hemmings Motor News---a long shot but someplace to start. Besides, chances are pretty slim in the case of a Dodge Dart that it has survived--somebody might restore a '68 Mustang (depending on what it is), but with no VIN, that's a whole lotta cars to track down.
  • ship4ldship4ld Posts: 2
    Thanks, My Mustang was the sudan or not a fast back, It had the cougar kit with factory air center consal map lights. My Grandparents ordered it special from the factory. And it had hood without the vents. Has a 289 and automadic trans.I gave it to my brother when I joined the millitary. He traded it in for a 88 Bronko 2 in Scottsdale AZ. I'm still hoping to find it, I would love to take my Grandma for a ride in it again, she really loved her car.
    Have a good one and thanks again.
    I wonder, even if by some miracle, the car crossed your path (assuming it stayed local), would you even recognize it after, no doubt, some restoration work?

I mean, Mustangs were made pretty much like cookies, so if one is the same color and trim as another, it might be hard to identify---unless you made some secret repair somewhere that only you can identify. There are stories about formerly owned cars being identified because of a certain repair weld or customization.
  • mwygantmwygant Posts: 1
    I BOUGHT A NEW 1967 CHEVELLE SS 396 IN JULY OR AUGUST 1967.I DONT KNOW THE VIN .IS THERE A WAY TO TRACE THIS CAR?
    I seriously doubt it, unless by some fortuitous accident of you knowing and tracking down the previous buyers. How could you possibly know it was your car even if you found a similar one? Maybe if it still had its old plates (unlikely) and you had a photo of the old plates from a snapshot?
  • 49fordman49fordman Posts: 2
    I am trying to find my 1st car-1964 Ford Galaxie 500 Fastback, powder blue with a black top bought from then later traded into Crescent Chevrolet (now closed), Des Moines Ia. about 1971. Also trying to find my parents 1958 Chevy Biscayne station wagon, turquoise and white, also traded into Crescent about 1964.
    Any ideas please?
    Thanks!
    Pretty hopeless without a trail of previous owners and without a VIN number.
  • Ok here are several suggestions:
    Local junk yards(most junks yards are online now-use the internet
    Free ad magazines,
    You can post whatever info you have within 200 miles of where the cars were last seen.

Join Ford and Chevy clubs & post your ad. Most of them are free especially when your looking for cars.

Log onto auction companies like Barrett-jackson.com and mecum.com auctions. they keep archives on line so you can look for old auctions where they sold cars. If someone restored the cars they might have sold them at on of these auctions.

Good Luck
    Mike
  • 49fordman49fordman Posts: 2
    Thanks Mike for your help, all good ideas.
    I'll let you know what happens.
  • MyPonyMyPony Posts: 1
    I'm trying to locate my first car, a 1980 Mustang. Any ideas? I do have the VIN #, I know it was impounded in Provo, UT and never re-registered so my guess is it's sitting in a salvage yard somewhere. All I have called don't seem to be willing to work with me. Is the only way to find it going to be through hours and hours of walking junkyards?
  • It's not a car that a wrecking yard or a collector would be likely to save unfortunately, so if it was junked some years ago, it's probably gone. But there's always the one in a million shot of calling the yards in Provo and asking if they even HAVE a 1980 Mustang. They should be able to check inventory pretty easily. Most wrecking yards don't want 80s cars, as there is little profit in keeping them.

Just for fun, I looked for a fender for an '80 Mustang in Utah by using www.car-part.com, but there was nothing. Maybe you could search for a hood, or other large body part, and see if any '80s come up in Utah.
  • im in the same position= im looking for my first car,,1967 SS 396 chevelle, yellow org paint w/ maroon front end off my malibu i had but with SS hood,,it was a real 138 vin SS......it was sold in the L.A area in 1988...i believe the person had a second 67 that him or his wife owned
  • looking for my first car=1967 SS 396 chevelle....my dad bought me the car in 1984 from a junkyard on alameda blvd in carson ca..it was yellow with a smashed front end...i fixed the front end and put it on a 67 malibu..in 1988 my dad sold the SS..damn him...at the time it had a 454 in it,,it was yellow with a maroon front end off my malibu but with the SS hood..it was sold too some that had a 69 el-camino.... he sold to a couple that had a second 67 chevelle..i think he painted it black and i seen the pair at ascot in gardena,ca.....it had a salvaged title
  • I'm looking for a 1977 Camaro v8 305 ci engine
    Vin# 1Q87U7L626223
    any1 know how i can find it.
    We've been looking for years i'm desperate to find anyway of tracing it.
    Well it could be anywhere in the world and sadly, chances are good that that car is already recycled, as these are not highly collectible. However, you could take a long shot and advertise the VIN # in an ad in Hemmings Motor News, and also check the registry of any Camaro club you can find online.
  • OK Thank You i'll try that and yah i fear that it has been recycled we need to preserve our history!
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,349
    edited March 2011
    The original owners of my '63 Studebaker Lark Daytona found me and we met late last summer. I have production paperwork I got from the Studebaker Museum which showed the owner's name and that the car was picked up by him in person at the South Bend plant. I posted this information on a Studebaker website and the original owner found me by googling his name and coming across the website. It can happen. The story, and some photos, were told on page 42 of Feb. 2011's 'Hemmings Motor News'. I think with a high-volume car like a Camaro, it will be a harder task for you. Good luck!
  • If you're trying to find your first or favorite car, try First Car Reunion

This guy has a good list of resources and information. He might even let you put an ad up for you on his blog.