Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Solara 2008

13»

Comments

• gnat58gnat58 Posts: 2
    I have a new 2008 Toyota Solara which I bought last year as brand new. This car has 1400 miles total on it! A couple weeks ago I started to experience an intermittent intense vibration/shaking of the car at any speed. It first occurred on a road that I was moving about 35-40 mph. I slowed down and it was still a problem. It comes and goes with out any warning or know precipitator. I feel an intense vibration in the steering wheel and the entire front of the car. The rear view mirror vibrates so intensely I can not even see out of it.
    My Toyota dealer has the car. They have claimed they have never heard of this issue. But I see here there is a TSB as well as many posts. Has anyone else experienced what I am experiencing. If so, what was the fix? According to the TSB it is the front end suspension. Has anyone had this issue, had the suspension fixed and did it/not resolve the shaking/vibrating?
  • gnat58gnat58 Posts: 2
    I have a new 2008 Toyota Solara which I bought last year as brand new. This car has 1400 miles total on it! A couple weeks ago I started to experience an intermittent intense vibration/shaking of the car at any speed. It first occurred on a road that I was moving about 35-40 mph. I slowed down and it was still a problem. It comes and goes with out any warning or know precipitator. I feel an intense vibration in the steering wheel and the entire front of the car. The rear view mirror ivbrates so intensely I can not even see out of it. I also hear a loud roar/drum like noise when it vibrates.
    My Toyota dealer has the car. They have claimed they have never heard of this issue. But I see here there is a TSB as well as many posts. Has anyone else experienced what I am experiencing. If so, what was the fix? According to the TSB it is the front end suspension. Has anyone had this issue, had the suspension fixed and did it/not resolve the shaking/vibrating?
    Would really like to figure this out. Can anyone help me?
  • arnoldxarnoldx Posts: 2
    my vibration is more like a"float/wheels not firmly planted on pavement" and comes at high speed---say above 60and .very noticable 65/75 and above---also car is not firm ? when going into curves /off ramps ,etc---
    i was directed to a service bulletin issued to toyota dealers which i have at home/am away for another week or so--
    but if you scroll thru the messages here you may find the reference---if not go to click and clack and check their site----i may have been given info there---
    but your problem sounds like it's something other than what i experience---have not taken car to dealer so no idea what dealers do/or don't---driving my '95 camry---better ride---
    if you don't find the service bulletin reference let me know and i'll try to find it in my email/files,etc---
  • Hello,

I have a 2008 Toyota Solara SLEv6 with 41k miles.

The passenger side low-beam HID bulb is not working properly.

I'm a DOYer by nature and would like to diagnose and fix the problem myself.

From the little I was able to find on the internet on this, I cannot tell if it's going to be easy or hard to access the bulb(s) and/or ballast(s) and/or relay(s).

So, before I knock myself out trying to fumble with this on my own, I thought I'd check to see if anyone out there in Edmunds-land has had any experience with any of this.

First, the symptoms: When I turn the headlamps (HID) on, the passenger side bulb turns on for just a few seconds, and then turns off. It seems that when it is on for those few seconds, the intensity is lower than it should be. I can flick the lights off, then on again, and the same thing happens. It'll light up for just a few seconds.

I've already verified that the FUSES are all good. Each bulb has it's own dedicated fuse.

From that information, I don't know if it's the bulb, the ballast, or the relay?

Here are the steps I'd LIKE to take:

1) Swap the passenger/driver bulbs. If the DS fails, then I need a new bulb. FINIS!
    2) Swap the PS/DS relays. If the DS fails, then I need a new relay. FINIS!
    3) Swap the PS/DS ballasts. If the DS fails, then I need a new ballast. FINIS!

If, after all of that, the DS continues to work, then I probably have a wiring or connection problem and I'll have to (gulp) resort to bringing it to an "expert" to fix.

But I'm still not sure how easy or hard it might be to access ANY of these items - bulb, ballast, relay. I would imagine the relay is easily accessible, so perhaps I should start with that item.

I was able to easily open the plastic cover over the bulb housing. But I didn't attempt anything else since I have not seen any diagrams or videos or description on how to remove/install the bulb.

Any experiences you'd like to share will be helpful.

Thank you
  • rdkingrdking Posts: 12
    I started my wife's 2008 SLE Convertible the other day and noticed a ticking sound coming from the engine that I hadn't heard before. It lasted about a minute and then went away. The car has not been started in about a week because my wife was out of town. She is back now and has resumed her daily use of the car. So far no more ticking sounds. Could it have been valve or lifter noise because the oil had drained from the heads while sitting idle for a week or maybe some carbon or dirt on a valve that dislodged as the engine heated up? I will add that the car is serviced regularly and I checked the oil level to make sure it was at the mark and it was. Anybody else had this issue?
  • I have an 07 solara convertible with headlights that intermittently shut off. Did you find out what needed to be fixed? Any suggestions?
  • zephyr4zephyr4 Posts: 1
    The engine makes a metal-on-metal sound briefly on a cold startup. I lived in Michigan but recently moved to Florida this summer. It started making the noise after I moved to Florida. I thought this might be due to a dry cylinder, thinking maybe the oil (5W 30 as recommended by Toyota) wasn't viscous enough for Florida summers.

I had someone more familiar with cars listen to the engine and he doesn't think a dry start is the problem, but couldn't identify what it might be.

Wondering if others have had this issue and might know what the problem is? The car has 45000 miles on it and has had all regularly scheduled maintenance.

Thank you for any suggestions!
  • solaraman2003solaraman2003 Posts: 87

Hello, I wanted to fill you in on the outcome. I stopped at a Toyota dealership up in CT on a Friday when they weren't busy and asked them the cost of the bulb. It was $175. I asked what the installation price was and they said "Oh, no charge for that". I jumped on it! It took them about 20 minutes to get it in, but they did it and I drove away happy !

I recall when I asked my local dealerships in NJ they wanted something like $100-$125 to install it !

@solaraman2003 said: Hello,

I have a 2008 Toyota Solara SLEv6 with 41k miles.

The passenger side low-beam HID bulb is not working properly.

I'm a DOYer by nature and would like to diagnose and fix the problem myself.

From the little I was able to find on the internet on this, I cannot tell if it's going to be easy or hard to access the bulb(s) and/or ballast(s) and/or relay(s).

So, before I knock myself out trying to fumble with this on my own, I thought I'd check to see if anyone out there in Edmunds-land has had any experience with any of this.

First, the symptoms: When I turn the headlamps (HID) on, the passenger side bulb turns on for just a few seconds, and then turns off. It seems that when it is on for those few seconds, the intensity is lower than it should be. I can flick the lights off, then on again, and the same thing happens. It'll light up for just a few seconds.

I've already verified that the FUSES are all good. Each bulb has it's own dedicated fuse.

From that information, I don't know if it's the bulb, the ballast, or the relay?

Here are the steps I'd LIKE to take:

1) Swap the passenger/driver bulbs. If the DS fails, then I need a new bulb. FINIS! 2) Swap the PS/DS relays. If the DS fails, then I need a new relay. FINIS! 3) Swap the PS/DS ballasts. If the DS fails, then I need a new ballast. FINIS!

If, after all of that, the DS continues to work, then I probably have a wiring or connection problem and I'll have to (gulp) resort to bringing it to an "expert" to fix.

But I'm still not sure how easy or hard it might be to access ANY of these items - bulb, ballast, relay. I would imagine the relay is easily accessible, so perhaps I should start with that item.

I was able to easily open the plastic cover over the bulb housing. But I didn't attempt anything else since I have not seen any diagrams or videos or description on how to remove/install the bulb.

Any experiences you'd like to share will be helpful.

Thank you

• solaraman2003solaraman2003 Posts: 87

Problem with Daytime Running Lights (DRL)

I recently discovered that my DRL weren't working .I tried a LOT of things and finally arrived at the solution.

On the 2008 (and perhaps others) the DRL WILL BE DISABLED IF ANY OF YOUR HIGH_BEAM BULBS IS OUT. This morning I tested my high-beams (which you don't use all that frequently) and discovered one was out. I was very excited to learn of this. I thought that perhaps there might be a relationship to my DRL problem, and I was right. Interesting that with all of the searches I did on the internet, and all of the documentation I have on my vehicle, I was unable to find this important tidbit!

• ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 974
    edited May 5

@solaraman2003 said: Problem with Daytime Running Lights (DRL)

I recently discovered that my DRL weren't working .I tried a LOT of things and finally arrived at the solution.

On the 2008 (and perhaps others) the DRL WILL BE DISABLED IF ANY OF YOUR HIGH_BEAM BULBS IS OUT. This morning I tested my high-beams (which you don't use all that frequently) and discovered one was out. I was very excited to learn of this. I thought that perhaps there might be a relationship to my DRL problem, and I was right. Interesting that with all of the searches I did on the internet, and all of the documentation I have on my vehicle, I was unable to find this important tidbit!

Good info, solaraman -- I wouldn't have thought to check the highbeams either! Still trying to figure out why the dealer installed that lowbeam bulb for free, though.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

13»