Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Sebring Engine Problems

Comments

• Those engines are mitsubishi manufactured
  • maloprmalopr Posts: 14
    97 sebring v6 2.5. consistent ticking and/or tapping noise in the engine, it does not stall or turn off. runs good except for the noise coming frim the engine.
    also the tach is not working,
    console battery light stay on when engine is on does not run off
  • I had that problem with my 98. It took forever to figure it out. It was the antitheft relay. On the 98 it has three relays on the firewall, it is the middle one. All I can say is try that. It's pretty cheap too. It worked for me.
  • derek61derek61 Posts: 1
    my sebring is not firing on # 4 cylinder , it has the 2.7 liter with indivudual coils for each plug , i swapped the coils around and no help , i pulled the coil off the plug and stuck a new plug in the end of the coil and ran the engine and stuck the spark plug close to metal ... no spark , anyone have any idea , maybe the ecm? thanks
  • penbpenb Posts: 1
    Our car had 52,000 miles on it and we started to loose compression. We took itto Chrysler and they told us a valve spring broke and the valve stem bent. They were replaced for cylinder #4. That was July 1, 2009. We got our car back after a slow return to us on July 10th drove it and on July 18th we broke down. Car would not start. Then we got going and engine light came on so we had it towed back to Chrysler and they told us oil pump broke because an impeller blade broke inside the pump. The end result is we need a new engine and we only had 53,000 miles on the car. For the Valve spring Chrysler kicked in $400.of the $1200 job. Now for the
    $5380 engine they are billing us $2690. Our warranty was only for 36,000 miles but we did not abuse the engine. It wasn't suppose to fail at 53,000. Has anyone had this experience? I really only want to buy American, but now I will have to really pray about my next car. :( :cry: :cry:
  • I have a 2006 Sebring with a 2.7 V6. My issue is that the car takes a very long time to warm up, but once it does the thermostat gauge continues a steady climb until the car is overheating. The thermostat has been replaced coolant level is good, and I have no ideas on what steps to take next. If anyone knows what the problem could be thank you in advance.
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    The past history of the 2.7 v6 engine is not very good. Four or five years ago these engines had a sludging problem and problems with the timing chain. I'm not so sure if these issues have been resolved. The local Dodge-Chrysler dealer always has lots of Chargers or 300's with this engine on their lot. I think it's because buyers stay away from this engine. If Chrysler is willing to pay half the cost you're probably better off taking them up on it and replace the engine. Try to get at least a 50,000 mile warranty on the engine. Good luck.
  • After installng new water pump now no start. 2002 sebring 2.7L . The timming chain was absolutly positively right on the marks . And just to make shure I cranked it through about 10 to 12 rotations to get the marks to align again. And they were still right on the money. I get 150 to 180 psi compression on all cyls . Cranks good and fast has spark. No codes show up on my OTC genisys. Did try replacing the cam sensor with no results. Any help or coments welcome.
  • Found the problem . The LH cam sprocket had the wrong reluctor ring on it . It would not sync up with the crank sensor . The cam sprocket has a series on windows cut in it with 1 , 2 ,or 3 groups of window slits in different order the
    replacement one I got had them in a different sequence than the original
  • My daughter has a 05 Chrysler Sebring with about 110K miles. The timing belt broke while driving down the highway, so it died. Took to mechanic and he said it was the timing belt that had broken. Had it replaced about 2 month ago. Now it has started with a humming noise at about 2500 Rpm. What is the best way to isolate the problem. As anyone familiar with the 2.4 knows, you can't even see the drive belt on the engine. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, OMB
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    I have a 2006 Dodge Caravan with the same engine. Timing belt replacement is recommended at 90k in the owner's manual. It is a good idea to change the water pump and maybe even the belt pre-tensioner when the timing belt is changed. See if you can get a good mechanic to ride with you; he may be able to isolate what the problem is after hearing it. Good luck.
  • I have a 2001 Sebring with that engine size my problem is 3 weeks ago i had an oil change and i only put the synthetic oil in my engine well 2 days later i started my car and i heard this awful noise and the engine was tapping the mechanic i took it to had it for a week i got it back on a tuesday he informed me he put oil in my car and drove it and he told me my car may have engine damage or the valves were loose and if i could stand the noise it was ok well i was on my way to my National Guard Drills on a sat morning and my engine made this noise like metal on metal and the engine froze up and stopped i have 66.632 miles on my car i will have to either buy a new engine or trade it in my car is paid off and i did not want to do this all over again.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    Your post is impossible to decipher, think maybe you can write a complete sentence, maybe throw in a comma or period here and there, you know, to kind of break up your thoughts?
  • My 99 Sebring has started doing weird things while going down the road. My check engine light and security light are the only 2 lights that come on and then the speedometer and rpm gauges dip. It lasts for just a second and the car picks back up and does fine. Sometimes it goes for days before it does it again and then sometimes 3 or 4 times a day. It runs rough for a few minutes after it happens and then runs fine. Sometimes when i stop after a short time it just dies,but starts right back up. If anyone knows anything i would love to hear from you......
  • Engine temp gauge gets hot then normal then hot then normal
    Steam comes from under the hood sometimes - A/C compressor, evap., radiator have been replaced. Was working fine until I had the oil changed, then again started with the hot than normal. I do not want to get stuck in rush hour traffic
  • maloprmalopr Posts: 14
    did you replace the thermostat
  • Could you tell me how you knew that you needed a water pump? Was your car running hot?
  • That was the easy part , it was leaking .
  • I have a 2005 chrysler sebring that I bought used. It has 87000 miles on it and everything was fine up until today. I went out and started the car to warm it up. The car was running fine and then it started idling rough and died. I tried starting the car back up, but all it did was crank. The engine is the 2.4L 4cylinder DOHC. I have replaced all the fuses and relays but I am still having this problem. Has anyone else had this problem?