Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 Burns Oil

Comments

• sparkleysparkley Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Toyota Rav4 that I purchased used with 36,000 miles on it. The first few oil changes were fine. My mechanic noticed that it burned through a quart in about 5,000 miles which according to any mechanic or guys I know that know anything about cars say this is a ridiculous amount of oil to be burning through n that amount of mileage. The next time it burned through 2 qts in the same amount of time. I also got my hands on a TSB (Toyota Service Bulletin) that has narrowed this problem down to two factories in Japan and specifies vin numbers that are potentially at risk for this oil consumption problem. However I feel like Toyota is giving me the run around making me jump through hoops to determine if the car is actually burning oil. My VIN number is one that could be affected by this and it seems obvious to me that it does have the oil cosumption problem Toyota needs to stand behind their mistake of building a faulty engine and fix these engines. I am now undergoing my 4th test.
  • thumper96thumper96 Posts: 1
    The owner's manual indicates 1 qt per 600 miles is normal. I have taken my Rav4 to a dealer and argued the fact that the engine holds about 4.4 qts. This gives me about 2640 miles before the engine is completely out of oil. If my oil change is scheduled every 3000 miles, the engine would be out of oil before then. I have heard unofficially that dealers do not want to repair engines under warranty since they only get a flat rate for the repair. Out of warranty stuff is more profitable for them. This may be true, because the dealer doesn't want to touch my car even though I have an extended factory warranty for it. Maybe a class action lawsuit is the solution.
  • faudoofaudoo Posts: 1
    I am also disappointed in Toyota. We bought our 2007 RAV4 brand new because we believed Toyota to be a reliable, high-quality vehicle. We drive a lot of miles for a work commute (just turned 200,000) and about a year ago noticed that the engine was using a lot of oil. Didn't think much of it the first couple of times we needed to add oil between oil changes, which occurs about every 6 weeks, but when it continued I started looking up potential issues and found this. I haven't gone to my dealer yet to inquire if they are aware of the issue(I'm sure they are, it's whether they admit it or not) and if there is anything they plan to do about it.
  • justus6justus6 Posts: 10
    I, too, have an oil burning issue with my 2006 Toyota Rav 4. The dealership did the oil consumption test and of course found nothing. I contact Toyota Headquarters and they stated that no one else has complained...so I guess no recall on this issue. Clearly with this many complaints being posted daily the oil consumption is an issue with many complaints...if everyone is saying the same thing there must be some truth in it. Everyone cannot be delusional. I say that we make our voices heard at Toyota. Let's start a class action suit
  • lanie8lanie8 Posts: 4
    My 2008 Rav 4 is going in Monday for repairs. Please, everyone with this problem, find online the Toyota Service Bulletin dealing with this. It lists specific VIN #s or Rav's, Camry's and Scions affected by a manufacturing defect and if you are using more than 1 qt of oil in less than 1200 miles, it qualifies to be looked at. If you show them this bulletin, have a compatible VIN # and have been documented to be burning oil - They should do something. I was hoping for a buy out, but they are going to try to fix the defect. Stay tuned.....
    Thanks for your response. My car has been looked at twice; however, the dealer wants me to pay $3000-4000 for an engine overhaul...why should I when it's Toyota's problem. I just called Toyota headquarters (1-800-331-4331) and the service tech stated once again that consumers are not calling in to complain about the oil consumption issue, which I believe is a LIE. He also stated that Toyota Service Bulletins are basically informational documents not a recall document. So before our engines burn out from no OIL or we go broke trying to keep it filled with OIL, we need to start a class action suit.
    How do we get the suit started? I dont have to see my VIN# on a list to know that I have an oil problem. The lack of about 3 quarts of oil within a two to three week time frame is proof enough. It is not normal and Toyota is not going to convince me that it is. I am now undergoing my 2nd and final test.
    Answer:

There are 4 requirements to proceed with a class action.
    1. Numerosity - enough plaintiffs to make class action an efficeint way to handle the claim.

2. Commonality - common issues of fact and law for each claimant

3. Adequacy of Class Rep - the person who is the class representatitve needs to have claims that are the same as the class members and that they are capable of serving as the representative.

4. Adequqcy of Counsel - that the law firm representing the class has sufficient skill and resources to represent the class.

A certified class action suit is one brought on behalf of a large group of people as plaintiffs who have suffered some similar harm from the same actions of the defendant or defendantsA certified class action suit is one brought on behalf of a large group of people as plaintiffs who have suffered some similar harm from the same actions of the defendant or defendants.
  • I am also looking for people with the same problem in order to file a class action suit. I know there has already been one filed in 2007 in Louisianna for the same problem, but it only mentioned a few makes of vehicles, the RAV 4 not being one of them. Toyota lost and had to pay for this problem, and it is binding until 8 years later.

link title

I am from New Brunswick, Canada, and so I am looking to join a international class action. My truck is 4 years old, and the problem started around 133,000 km. Same thing, oil sludge problem. Need a new engine, cost $6000 with installation. Called Toyota, of course they said the warranty was expired. Can you tell me what Service Bulletin it is, there are a lot of different ones and I could not find this specific one.
  • I am also looking for people with the same problem in order to file a class action suit. I know there has already been one filed in 2007 in Louisianna for the same problem, but it only mentioned a few makes of vehicles, the RAV 4 not being one of them. Toyota lost and had to pay for this problem, and it is binding until 8 years later.

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/feb/09/business/fi-toyota9

I am from New Brunswick, Canada, and so I am looking to join a international class action. My truck is 4 years old, and the problem started around 133,000 km. Same thing, oil sludge problem. Need a new engine, cost $6000 with installation. Called Toyota, of course they said the warranty was expired. Can you tell me what Service Bulletin it is, there are a lot of different ones and I could not find this specific one.
  • lanie8lanie8 Posts: 4
    The Toyota service bulletin was put out in August 2011 and affects Ravs, Camrys 2007-2009, Camry HV 2007-2011, corollas 2009, Matrix 209 and solaras 2007-2008 with the 2AZ-FE engine. The title is "2AZ-FE Engine Oil Consumption". Rav 2006 thru 2008 VD #s (Look for these within your VIN #) BD31V, BD32V, BD34V, BD35V, ZD31V, ZD32V, ZD33V, ZD34V, ZD35V. The bulletin # if you want to find it is T-SB-0094-11, also T-SB-002411. I only have the first one since it is specific to my RAV4. Hope this is helpful to everyone.
  • Just like what you guys experience. I think i have the same problem with my Rav4. It burns a lot of oil, and this morning my Rav4 start making an engine noise like it whistling when you start the engine and as well as when you step into the gas. I did call the Toyota service in my place and ask if it is normal, but they said i might need to replace the engine. Please if anybody started the class action suit count me in...
  • I purchased my 2006 rav in May '08 with approximately 22,000 miles. At about 125000 miles my husband noticed that it was burning oil. He changes the oil religiously every 3000 miles. We were having to add one to two quarts at around the 2000 mile mark. Two weeks, ago, at about 1500 miles into the last oil change, the engine blew, the vehicle has 160,000 miles on it. I still have one year on the note so I have no choice but to spend the $3500 for a used engine with 80000 miles. I can't get anything for a car that's not running. I previously owned a 2002 Rav4 which had over 300,000 miles on it before the tranny began getting funky. Because of this, I was sold on this vehicle and searched high and low to purchase the used '06 with low miles. I am now totally disgusted. I don't always keep the receipt for the oil purchases, and since my husband does the oil changes himself, I do not have acceptable records of maintenance. However, rest assure I will stay tuned to this post and and hold on to my repair work. I will gladly participate in a class action suit.
  • kris119kris119 Posts: 1
    Same problem here. 2007 Rav4 engine with 92000 miles on it shutoff today while I was going on a highway. Toyota service center quoted $2000 for engine tear down and damage assessment and predicted that it will cost $8000 to repair it. I am stuck without vehicle dont know what to do not sure how much will I get for trade in
    Interested to join the law suit

Is there a way to get it repaired for around $4000 I am stuck. Dont appreciate the manufacturer not taking responsibility

Thanks a lot in advance
  • I am interesting in joining, too.

Noticed my 07 RAV started burning excessive oil at about 82 K when the oil light flickered. I had the same problem with my last Rav, so I knew the drill. Had been assured that Toyota fixed this problem with their engines. Dealer completed a consumption test and determined it was within Toyota's specs. However, it has had the oil light flicker 3 separate times and each time there has been very little oil left in the engine and burned 3+ quarts. Piston slap audible. Toyota has refused to address the problem or investigate further after the problem continued after their consumption test. I had the extended warranty but it got me nowhere with them. Too bad for me that my car had 68 k when the TSB was published.
  • We bought our 2007 4cyl rav4 brand new and have taken good care of it. Noticed at around 55,000 miles it was using oil. Took it to the dealer at 60,100 and they confirmed it but wouldn't do anything because it was outside the waranty window. Called the 800 number and they were no help at all. This thing uses 3 qts between oil changes. Someone please start a class action suit. There is no reason a car should use this much oil at this age. Toyota knows about it but won't stand behind their products. No more toyotas for me.
  • dww5dww5 Posts: 1
    We have a 2007 with 85,000 miles and it uses 1 quart per 1800 miles and started this at 75,000. It was under extended warranty buy Toyota would not do the repair because it would have to use 1 quart in 1200 miles to qualify. They showed me the shop manual and the new 2011 can use 1 quart in 600 miles and be within Toyota tolerances. I think this is a EPA issue. Any car that is using this much oil must be polluting. When we took the car in for its consumption test they filled it about a half quart past the full mark.
  • I just purchased my 2008 RAV4 off lease in December 150K and engine is burning 1 litre of oil for every 1000km driven. Toyota claims this is within their guidelines! Finished the oil consumption test and they determined the following provided that I am out of warranty.

- They need to complete an engine breakdown...at my cost!
    - If they determine there is an issue, I am responsible for 40% of the repairs.

Correct me if I am wrong, if there are so many people on this thread that are having similar issues with their RAV4's and all within the same millage (100k-200k), there is clearly defect somewhere and they need to do a recall! If this is how Toyota is going to deal with these ongoing issues, count me in the class action lawsuit.
  • Mine started at 55,000 miles also -It does fall into the engine/serial numbers that relate to the problem per the Toyota service bulletin. My dealer did fix it since it was confirmed to have started at or around 55,000 miles and they documented the consumption was more than 1 qt every 1,200 miles. It was actually losing 1 qt every 800 miles. They fixed it about 3 weeks ago at their cost as part of the powertrain warranty. I can confirm that the problem got fixed; after 1,000 miles I haven't lost any oil and the oil even looks better. Please get that Toyota service bulletin and demand they fix the problem. I heard that they are not doing a recall on this since the bad publicity on the floor mat issue hurt their business so much. Personally, I think a little honesty would be refreshing for a change.
  • My 2006 Rav4 started burning oil at 57,000 miles. I did not notice it until one day the oil engine light flicks at 63000. My car had extremely low level of oil at the time of checkup. It falls into the engine/serial numbers that relate to the problem per the Toyota service bulletin. Now my dealer said that I need a new engine since it had passed the 5 year mark. Even though I have been taking my car to the NJ autoland dealer for service over the years, the service rep claimed that no techenican would have noticed it since the tech only drains out the oil when the time for oil change. No tech would actually check the oil level. What a shocker! I thought it would make a difference taking the car to the dealer for service versus the local garage.
    The image of Toyota builds the most reliable car has faded away in my mind. What a shame!
    Toyota should recall the cars fall into the service bulletin and have the problem fixed. Advise to all Rav4 owner, check your car oil level every month before the engine fails on you.
  • I am interested in joining a class action suit. I started noticing problems in June of this year with my 2008 Rav 4. When I approached my dealer, I was ushered into their business office and was told to protect myself, I should purchase an extended warranty. They said they were 90% sure what my problem was and because my original warranty and run out, this was the alternative. I purchased the warranty (I had been looking to purchase an extended warranty anyway) and they did a couple of consumption tests. It was determined that I did have this problem listed in the TSB and they got approval from the warranty company and proceeded to replace my pistons and gaskets. The problem has been fixed for now but I have a monthly charge for the next year for a warranty that will probably run out about the same time I finish paying for it. I am looking to recoup the money I spent on the warranty because I feel the same as all of you that Toyota should have just fixed the problem. Please let me know what I need to do to join the class action suit.
  • My Rav4 started showing similar symptoms at around 50K. It started consuming about 4 quarts for every 3K miles. Toyota service center managed to send me back twice by refilling the oil. Finally at 57.5K I was very upset and shouted at the service manager saying that they didn't do the job right. Then, I decided to google and happened to visit this site. Thanks for providing the bulletin here. Again went back at 61.5 K. They said I am out of warranty. Finally, the service representative agreed that I complained at 57.5K. Now I am on consumption test for 1000 miles. If it consumes more than a quart I will get a new engine.
  • Hello,

I am looking for a use 2006 RAV4 TWD with only 30k on it.

My Vin number is JTMZD33V465032384
    which is not in the engine effective Vin list---JTM#D3#V#85209466; JTM#D3#V#86088135.
    Does that mean I don't need to worry about the oil burn issue?

I mean anyone found similar problem with Vin number not list by Toyota?

Thanks.
  • I noticed the probem when it had 70K miles on it, and when I found out the oil stick only got the tip wet, i went to NTB, and they told me my engine is about to fail soon, so I'd better sell before the value crushed to 1/3 of a working car, what a jerk. Then, I went to firestone, the tech told me although only the tip is wet, it should still have 2 qts remaining, so that's kind of relief for me. So I had firestone put in 5 quarts of high mileage engine oil, and it is about another 3000 miles now, and the oil level is at the minimun mark, now i read this thread, there has to be a class action against Toyota. 2006 Toyota uses camery's engine, if there's a class action filed in Luisiana in 2007, the 2006 toyota has to be eligible, but anyways, what is the procedure to file a class action, and we need to do this fast before the engines crush
  • vivaldi7vivaldi7 Posts: 2
    edited October 2012
    I got 2008 Rav4, 4 cylinder engine and only about 71 000 km.
    Car is still under warranty for another week !
    During my last summer trip , this car burned 2 L / 700 km.

Currently running through 4th oil consumption test with Toyota dealer.
    On first test it burned 1 L per 1600 km.
    Last time it burned 0.5L / 800 km.

Toyota Canada states that the 'Industry standard' is 1.5 L / 1500 km.
    So technically speaking they can do nothing.
    Thinking about arbitration and court case if nothing is done,
    will decide soon.
  • rishyarishya Posts: 2
    Update to case mentioned in message #54. My 1K miles test returned 0.8 quart consumtpion, which is within the limit. But my VIN was listed in their service bulletin. They kept my case pending for two days in discussion with the head office. Finally, they worked out with HO and and they got the approval. I got my car back yesterday after the fix. It costs around 4,500 for the fix if I had to pay. They also provided me with rental car for two weeks. (Wolfchase Toyota, Cordova, TN). Hope everything fixed.
  • Yes, mines was repaired but I had to purchase an extended warranty which covered it. They also gave me a rental car for two weeks. I should have waited them out instead of purchashing the warranty but glad it is fixed. I am still interested in a class action suit since they should not be giving everyone a hard time since they know it is Toyota's fault.
  • I have a 2008 rav4 still under warranty which is burning oil. Its funny how Toyota was the one that initially told me about car consuming oil (3L since the last oil change i did). I came in after 2000km as they requested and said it only burnt 0.7L which is under the limit. I find that weird how they tell me about an oil consumption problem then tell me it's not ENOUGH oil being burnt after. It's burning oil and still an unusual amount. Let me know what you guys decide to do.
    This is justus6. I just saw your msg. I had my gaskets changed but my problem still exist and is getting worst. I now have an extended warranty plan. Hopefully, they will authorize my problem to be fixed as well. I am ready to get started with the class action suit. Does anyone have a lawyer that they can ask about our issue and let us know how to get started?