Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 Burns Oil

123457»

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,924

I stumbled into this forum and I am baffled as to these oil consumption complaints!

If started with the first poster. He had a Rav4 with 185,000 miles and he was complaining that he was going through a quart of oil every 1500 miles!

ALL CARS USE SOME OIL...They HAVE to!

Some cars use more than others but this isn't something "bad"!

People were talking about replacing or rebuilding their engines over this!

The replacement engines may be just as bad and the rebuilder (like the dealer) will tell you that "some" consumption is perfectly normal.

Relax...the sky isn't falling!

• It is unusual for a modern engine that has been serviced regularly to consume enough oil at a low number of km or miles that the engine fails between oil changes as indicated in many of the previous posts. The fact that Toyota has issued a TSB indicates there is a problem with these engines. I use our CRVs as a comparison - when we sold our 97 it had 430,000km on the original engine and burned 1 liter of oil between changes. Our current 04 CRV has 211,000 km on the engine and I add 1/2 liter between changes. RAVs are not budget vehicles in Canada - in 2006 when I bought ours it was $30k.

• df1chicagodf1chicago Posts: 2

i've also got a 2006 4 cylinder base model... mine has 175k on it. i bought it new. about 3 years ago, i noticed that i had to put about 1/3 of a quart into the engine every 800 miles or so... now, i'm putting in about 1/2 a quart every 500 to 600 miles... i do alot of city driving, which i know is terrible for a car. has anyone found a solution that doesn't involve buying a new engine???

• rockmobilerockmobile Posts: 113

@df1chicago said: i've also got a 2006 4 cylinder base model... mine has 175k on it. i bought it new. about 3 years ago, i noticed that i had to put about 1/3 of a quart into the engine every 800 miles or so... now, i'm putting in about 1/2 a quart every 500 to 600 miles... i do alot of city driving, which i know is terrible for a car. has anyone found a solution that doesn't involve buying a new engine???

That usage would make it 1 quart every 1000 miles; that would be within tolerance. There's no solution, it's either repair or replace, or buy oil in large quantities.

• You could try the engine cleaning procedure - we are down to 1 liter every 1400 km now - not great, but better than last year. Definitely not a 400,000 km engine like the CRV, but hoping to get 300,000km out of it.

I wouldn't "clean" anything!

I mean, what is the big deal of having to add a quart of oil every 1000 miles??

175,000 miles is a LOT of miles!

Just drive the car and add a bit of oil from time to time!

As I said before, you could spend 4000.00 to have a rebuilt engine installed and it could possibly use that much oil or maybe even more!

• df1chicagodf1chicago Posts: 2

something is up isellhondas' [non-permissible content removed]... he can spout off all he wants, but this is a serious issue for us who own this vehicle...

Having to add a quart of oil to a car with** 175,000 **miles on it is hardly a "serious issue".

I guess I must be missing something here!

• I found this on the internet. It could help some people.

"I have an 07 Camry Le with the 2.4 L oil burner. I added this oil treatment called Eco-Tek and it stopped burning oil! My gas mileage also improved from an average of approx 9.0L per 100k to 8.3L per 100k with a mix of city and highway also noticed a pick up in power that even my wife noticed . The website is listed below with more info."

Mike Hale, Toronto

http://www.ecotekworldwide.com/Eco-T...-Lubricant.htm

Link:
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/8-general-discussion/898153-no-more-burning-oil-2-4l.html#post7860545
123457»