Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Honda Accord

abhikuabhiku Member Posts: 124
edited October 2014 in Honda
Any one know when Honda Accord 2009 model will be available?

Camry is already available on Toyota site...

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Toyota's Camry has debuted in Spring for a couple years now. The Accord just debuted in September for 2008, and shouldn't do it again until the same for the 2009 model.Don't expect big changes for 2009.
  • totalsportstotalsports Member Posts: 5
    Anyone have any inside info on any changes to the Accord for '09....Im sure it will be minor changes....Any time frame when they will begin to roll into dealers?.....
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    No inside info here- but if Honda's past is any indication of their future- I suspect the 09 will be exactly the same as the 08-

03-04 Accord- no changes-
    06-07 Civic- no changes-
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    In 04 they did add satellite radio, but that's something I didn't want anyway. Not exactly a reason to wait for the next model. New year Accords are pretty consistent. The 09s will probably start hitting the lots in mid September.
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    My bad, in terms of cosmetic and mechanical items typically 1st and 2nd year Honda models have no changes- if memory serves me correctly. Toyota tends to do the same- the big changes come either the 3rd or 4th model year when the model itself becomes a bit stale
  • tankbeanstankbeans Member Posts: 585
    Just curious. Do you think that they may take some of the issues that people have complained about and fix them? Bad mileage from some, and the VCM not functioning as advertised? Get rid of the button-laden center stack?
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    They will continuously tune the car - i.e. make adjustment that might improve fuel economy and/or fix minor fit and finish problems caused by the manufacturing process. However, unless there is a big problem, they will not make changes that require retooling of their production line (i.e., getting rid of the buttons on the center stack etc.). I don't think anything is designed in a Honda by mistake. That doesn't mean its perfect, but it means that every button position and dimple in the seat fabric has been debated and represents what Honda believes to be the best balance between quality and keeping down the price of the car. I think Honda doesn't release a new model of car until it is exactly as they want it. Consequent, I would think they are very unlikely to make any substantive changes in only the second year of the new model.
  • chenguangchenguang Member Posts: 5
    I will buy the car next weekend, but now I am still confusing about one big problem, 3.5EX or 2.4EXL? I love the powerful V6, but still be very interested with audio system, double climate control especially leather seat on EX-L 2.4! I can only afford to this trim level, so which one I should choose? Thank you!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We can continue the 3.5L vs 2.4L discussion here: chenguang, "Honda Accord I4 vs V6" #381, 25 Apr 2008 12:08 pm.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    A USB port might be possible but should practically be a carryover.
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    Go with the four unless you need the power if you are a major highway driver, I have the177 HP LXP and its fine.
  • chenguangchenguang Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your suggestion! :lemon:
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    I expected to see a discussion forum on the 2009 Accord with maybe about 3847 replies by now... Doesn't anyone care about the new model that is on the Honda website? Anyone actually bought one yet? Or aren't they for sale yet?

Just a curious mind here... Actually contemplating buying one in a few months and eager to hear some feedback from others on the 2009....

:D:D:D
  • sunnfunsunnfun Member Posts: 168
    What website did you see the 2009 on?
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Wasn't on a website, I thought it was a TV ad that I saw about 3 weeks ago...
    :confuse:
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Honda typically introduces new models in early September, so the ad must have been about the 08. Three and a half months still to wait for the 09. :( Since the 08 is a brand new design, the 09 will probably have very few changes.
  • big_robbig_rob Member Posts: 10
    I know it's not going to happen but I wish they put a push button start on the new 2009 accord and have keyless access. It's available on a $20K prius why not put it on an accord. What do you guys think?
    Keyless start is something I can do without. I can understand keyless entry (push a button to unlock the doors) being a big help, but, once I'm in my car and out of the rain (the only time I make sure my car is unlocked in advance of my arrival to my door), I have all the time in the world to

1.) Insert Key
    2.) Turn Key for 2 seconds

It just doesn't bug me.
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    I would like to see 2 enhancements in the Accord....(1) a trip computer that gives me real time MPG calculation, and (2) instant tire pressure readings as a complement to the TPMS system.
    The trip computer would be a welcome addition, but for 2008, I'd say leave out one electronic doo-dad and put the grocery or cleaning-bag hook back. I was let-down that they took that OUT of the more expensive 2008 models. They've had it in basic Accords since the late '90s, but cheaped-out for '08.
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    I am not sure if I know what you are referring to. Where was that hook located and exactly what was it for?
    If he's talking about what I think he's talking about, they may have removed the garment hook in the back attached to the 'oh-s***' bar above the back door.

If I'm wrong correct me, maybe post a picture, ;) .
    In the trunk of the Gen VI and VII Accords, on the passenger side, and built in to the side of the trunk carpeting, is a small hook. It's purpose (at least in my world) is for hanging grocery sacks onto it. It keeps my gallon of milk from rolling around the trunk when taking turns.

The coat hook inside the cabin is completely different. This is in the trunk, right side.
  • iwanthondaiwanthonda Member Posts: 13
    For those with the Navi, the trip computer IS available, giving: (1) real-time MPG, (2) average MPG for Trips A and B separately, (3) time elapsed since startup, (4) average speed for current tank, and (5) the remaining miles range. It is a very complete trip computer, but it can certainly be argued that it should be included for non-Navi models along with Bluetooth capability.

I would agree that instant tire pressure readings would be a nice addition, but those seem to be reserved for higher-end vehicles at this point in time.

Still, I would like to see the smart-key feature, rear passenger HVAC vents, 60/40 split folder rear seats, 6-speed automatic tranny with sport shift, and HID headlights introduced first as the more fundamental improvements to match features offered in high-trim-level Camrys and Altimas.
  • furrycutefurrycute Member Posts: 33
    You can always keep a medium sized cardboard box inside your trunk to keep those small grocery bags from rolling all over the place.

How many hooks were there in the old Accords? On my last car, it had a hook on both sides, I think those hooks were meant for the cargo net.

And while we are on the topic of cargo nets, how do you hang a cargo net in the 2008 Accord? I don't see any kind of hooks anywhere inside the trunk.
    No, this is just one hook, for grocery bags. No cargo net that I'm aware of.

I actually do keep a Xerox Paper box in my trunk of my '96 Accord, because it doesn't have a hook, so we think alike in that regard. ;)
  • personatechpersonatech Member Posts: 105
    I think push-button start would help make turning the car off at stop lights, railroad crossings and such (a technique of "hypermiling") a little more convenient and, therefore, more habitual for those who don't currently engage in hypermiling.

If it wasn't a popular feature and didn't offer some convenience, it wouldn't be standard on Camrys and Altimas. I can't tell you how many times I have to dig into my pocket AFTER having climbed into the car, but I'm old and fat and what do I know?... ;)
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    My Acura RL has keyless, but I have to say that I would prefer that it had a regular, old-fashioned key. To me it is technology for the sake of technology, and an answer to a question that few people asked.

I still have to carry around this rather large fob in my pocket. Instead of putting a key in the slot, now all I have to do is push a button on the dash, or turn a knob. I just don't see the benefit, beyond the "gee whiz" factor. It's also true that I don't have to actually unlock the car with a key. I can keep the fob in my pocket, and by laying my hand on the door handle, it automatically unlocks and remembers my personal settings. That's nice, but far from necessary. I can just as easily use a traditional key to unlock the door, get in, and hit a button for my personal settings (seat, mirrors, climate control, sound system, etc.)

I admit I don't practice "hypermiling," so maybe that is what I'm missing here. =)

IMO, keyless ignition is a little like i-drive on the BMWs. It's a convenience feature that borders on technological overkill. For me, being perhaps old fashioned, keyless ignition is not a feature that I rank highly on my list of automotive priorities. I also like to drive, and some of these features detract from the act of driving. Just my 2 cents.

Why is it available on the Camry and Altima? Maybe because it's fairly cheap technology, and it helps sells cars. But it's far from necessary.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Learn something new everyday... I didn't even know I had that hook on my 06. I just went down to the garage and there it was!

furrycute: The cargo net has been a somewhat elaborate installation the last few years. Drilling holes is involved. :surprise:

HandA has installation instructions for whatever version you have. The 08 4 door installation instructions are here:
    Accord 4-door Cargo net installation
    You and me both. I didn't realize I had a hook, can't say that I'll use it, but I didn't know it was there. When I found out that it was there, I couldn't resist going outside to look on my 03.

I wish they had sunroofs across the board though, then I could have one on the LX. The features above and beyond on the EX don't excite me, but a sunroof would. I miss my sunroof, :cry: . I had one on my 95 EX, but didn't get one on my 03 LX.
    I wish they had sunroofs across the board though

Well, add it here to the 09 wish list! Sunroofs for the EX AND the LX. :D:D:D
    Like that will ever happen. ;)

Now it's time for the anti-sunroof crowd to post requests that sunroofs be reduced to just an option on the EX! :shades:
  • furrycutefurrycute Member Posts: 33
    Thanks for the instructions for installing the cargo net.

Why in the world would Honda make this so COMPLICATED? On my last car, there were 2 hooks on the side of the trunk, one the right, one on the left. All I needed to do was to hook up the cargo net to those hooks, and that was it!

I am going back to my cardboard box in the trunk routine... :P

And for 2009, like some of the previous posters, I think Honda should make the keys significantly smaller. I hate those big keys sticking out the side of my pants. Make keyless entry optional if Honda has to, but make those keys SMALLER.
  • guntherhopsguntherhops Member Posts: 21
    Last year there were reports of an Accord diesel in 2009. Recently Acura announced a diesel for the 2009 TSX.
    Does anybody know when Accord will actually offer the diesel?
    make those keys SMALLER.

Yes, the key/attached fob does make it pretty big. I like those "switch blade" keys that hide the metal part inside the fob until you press a button.
    You and me both. I didn't realize I had a hook, can't say that I'll use it, but I didn't know it was there. When I found out that it was there, I couldn't resist going outside to look on my 03.

That's thegraduate for ya, living life in the details. I don't use the hook often. It DOES get use from the grocery store though; ever had a gallon of milk roll around in your trunk? I used to, but not now. ;)
    Oh yeah, I've had the gallon of milk rolling around in the trunk. Generally my solution is to find something that has a little weight to it and prop it against the milk on the floor in the back seat, with the milk against the side of the car, as I have no doors in the back. My trunk goes widely unused.
    I travel to-and-from the gulf coast regularly, so my car stays pretty cleaned-out so I'll have room for luggage. This means I don't typically have something to prevent it from sliding besides an umbrella, tire inflator, and a jacket.
    I just meant that I usually have something else from the shopping trip, such as a case of pop or something. My car is pretty awesome though non-the-less. I usually go to and from work and bum around town the rest of the time. I'd like to take a road-trip when I have time off work, and I feel I could comfortably in the surfer. I just wish it didn't have the few cosmetic issues that it does.

Anyway, I just went way off topic. Oopsy.
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    Count me as one of the anti-sunroof crowd. I dearly wish they didn't force me to pay for it on my EX-L.
    I understand your pain. I just wish that to have a sunroof you didn't have to pay for all the other stuff that comes with the higher trim level.

To have a sunroof or not, that is the question
  • rkurlanderrkurlander Member Posts: 58
    I spoke with a dealership general manager today. The 2009's will be available August 15.
  • budhbudh Member Posts: 109
    Please, Honda, please make the trip computer at least AVAILABLE in all EX models, or at least the EX-L models, even with the 4-cylinder engine!

Bud H
  • budhbudh Member Posts: 109
    Please, Honda, don't let the Toyota Camry have all the bells and whistles! Please make available bluetooth hands free cellphone use (without getting the navigation system), trip computer/driver information center, and exterior temperature display either standard or at least available in all trims, especially the EX and EX-L versions, even with the 4-cylinder engines!

Any other wish list items for the 2009 Accord sedan?

Bud H
  • madpistolmadpistol Member Posts: 126
    Bulldoze the current design.

Make it slightly smaller, add a 60/40 split rear seat, make the 4-cyl get the ACTUAL MPG that's advertised, make the VCM on the V6 less noticeable (or get rid of it), put an extra cog in the automatic transmissions (6 speed auto), give the automatic transmission a manual shift mode on ALL of the engines, get rid of that mass of buttons on the center stack, make the car quieter at cruising speeds (less wind and road noise), give the car a usable trip computer (see Altima), and make the trunk larger. Just do all of that and I'll buy one!

Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. :cry:
  • mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    How about a push button start? I have it on my 08 Highlander and I love it. Here's hoping that Honda get the VCM right this time.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    If it wasn't a popular feature and didn't offer some convenience, it wouldn't be standard on Camrys and Altimas. I can't tell you how many times I have to dig into my pocket AFTER having climbed into the car, but I'm old and fat and what do I know?

I'm not old and fat...at least not yet :cry: but I really like the push-button start on my G35. I just put the key on my belt strap and I never need to touch it again until I get home. :shades:
    I'm not old and fat...at least not yet

Wait a minute are you upset because you're not old and fat? :confuse: j/k

I'm just curious, not having push button start, how the heck does it work? Is there a proximity feature in the fob and the car just reads that the key is in the car and will start or just what happens? I guess that aspect of not knowing how it works and whether or not people would be able to easily bypass it is what scares me.

I know this is off topic, but I've just wondered how that whole function works.

If you know how it works I'd love to know.
    To use the intelligent features (for Infiniti or Nissan), the remote has to be:

1. within 2-3 feet of the car to unlock the doors.
    2. inside the car to start the car.

If you left your remote inside the trunk, you wouldn’t be able to close the trunk. ;)

Of cause you can also use the remote to control the car from distance like any other remotes.
    Is there an actual key that you can use in case the system malfunctions or is that a case where you have to call the dealer and have the thing towed.

If that is the case I wouldn't want to not be able to start the car manually with a real key.

I know I'm asking dumb questions, I just like to know things, as I'm sure keys are going the way of the dodo bird. ;)
    Yes, there's an actual key in the remote itself that you can take it out to unlock the door. There's a slot in the car that you can put the remote in case the battery is low (in the remote) or other problems.
This discussion has been closed.