Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Honda Accord

Comments

• Hi -

Anyone who owns a 4cyl honda (i just bought a ex-l nave 4) - are you happy with the 4? how weel does it perform in expressway passing etc. any issues? any regrets on the 4 over the 6?
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    any regrets on the 4 over the 6?

You may want to check out the I4 vs V6 topic at the link below.

Accord I4 vs V6
  • Since you already bought the four cylinder, isn't it a bit late to start asking about the 6 cylinder version?

But anyway, the six cylinder isn't really worth the extra money, not with the tiny difference in 0-60 speeds. Also a heavier ride, that I don't care for.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    The biggest noticeable difference in passing at highway speeds. Around town, its hard to tell a huge difference.

I have a 2006 2.4L Accord (166hp with 5AT), and absolutely love the engine.
  • I just bought an 09 Accord with dealer installed window tinting. At night the vision out of the rear window is somewhat distorted. The lights from cars behind me appears very glarely and somewhat refracted. The dealer claims to have heard a compliant like this before. Has anyone noticed this in their Accords? Thanks
  • vietviet Posts: 847
    Accord engines are excellent. I also bought a Honda-engined power washer. It works like dream. I have 4 V6 EX-L Accord, latest model is '08. They all "drive" me crazy.
  • toyoman8toyoman8 Posts: 60
    I ve owned 09 i4 for about a year now, 15k. I drives ok if you not using the AC, with he AC on it's kinda slow on the pick up. The dash lights flicker frequently, not a big deal though, the car is not super smooth nor quiet, GMPG is about 25-26 avg.

Speakers are ok, sub is kinda weak.

Over all, no issues as of yet. Been at the dealer only for an oil change and tire rotation.
  • yongseokyongseok Posts: 7
    Hi guys!

I have an issue in regards of sudden acceleration. If I really stomp it (accelerator), I
    can feel a lot of hesitation of accelerating in my car. I've never seen this problem i
    n other cars. - (I have owned honda civic 2003, hyundai elantra, and vw rabbit 08).

If I step on the accelerator slowly, the car gets accelerated ok. (not fast but it's ok since I didn't floor it.) However, I push it little be firmly and strongly, the rpm goes
    up to 6 (oh my god) but the speed is not getting increased properly. (it's not almost
    going up for a while and slow acceleration).

This problem is typically observed around 80mph but I can observe this issue at low
    speed sometimes.

Do you have any idea on this issue? or any experience? I suppose that my stupid
    dealship will say "show the problem to us" or "it's normal" and I want to get any hint
    to convince them.

Also, if it's normal behavior, give me some "peace of mind". :)

Thanks in advance.
  • Doesn't sound all that normal to me, I'd take it to a dealer to get it checked out. You may want to try another dealer which might be a better choice than the one you mentioned, also, ask the service department to check for any available software updates.
  • toyoman8toyoman8 Posts: 60
    there is a lag in the acceleration, I've experience a similar problem, it is much noticeable when you coming to a stop and then you rapidly start to accelerate before it actually stopped., I think it's b/c the car is way to heavy for the i4.
  • I never experienced this problem on my 2008 EX 4, nor has my mother on her 2008 LXP 4. Needless to say I traded my 08 4 for an 09 V6 during the height of the great recession for the deals were too good to pass up
    Thank you for all the answers! Accord l4, it's indeed slow car.....

Is there any car which is slower than this in this mid-size segment?
    I suppose my old civic and elentra should be quicker than this.

Don't need to mention "VW rabbit 09".

:)
    edited June 2010
    Accord l4, it's indeed slow car.....

The 190 hp Accord runs the 0-60 in 8.2 seconds, with an automatic transmission. That time would closely rival a V6 Camry from 10 years ago. Hard to believe that some people now think of that as "slow."

I suppose my old civic and elentra should be quicker than this.

Not even the current Civic or Elantra can keep up with this... not even close. The current Civic with an automatic runs in the mid 9 second range (and it's the fastest standard-engined Civic Honda has ever produced), the automatic Elantra allows 10 seconds to pass before it can achieve 60 MPH.
    I'm not talking about EX-l4. As the title says, it's about LX-P.

According to consumer report / Edmunds.com, LX-P 0-60 speed
    is 9.8 sec (CR) / 9.1 sec (Edmunds.com).

Also, I don't believe that EX-P's 0-60 time can be in mid of 8 sec
    since it has only 162 torque and the flat torque graph may be
    very similar to LX-P's.

EX-l4 is most expensive l4 sedan in its segment and I would go
    with Altima + other option since it's faster than that.

I agree to your opinion in regard of Elentara and Civic, but what I'm
    saying is "it feels slower than that". Also, I didn't mean 0-60 mph
    at all in my posting. My problem is mainly happening around 80mph.
    Edmunds consistently gets slower acceleration times than Motor Trend, so I was sticking with one source so we'd have a consistent "launch style" for measuring acceleration.

13 horsepower shouldn't make a big difference when the torque peak is the same, roughly. I agree, these heavy Accords would be better served with lower peak horsepower and better torque, but if your problem is at 80 miles an hour, I don't really know what to tell you, except that a V6 may have been your better option. I have a 166 horse Accord and find it quite quick!
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    With the hesitation issue, I suggest trying different acceleration techniques. I find the transmission downshifts and accelerates better if you push the pedal down in a smooth motion, as opposed to slamming it down. At certain speeds, the transmission can hesitate, deciding which gear to shift into, then making a decision. Practice makes perfect in this case. You need to learn exactly what to tell your car, to get it to do what you want. If you know what you're going to get at a certain speed, from pushing the accelerator down a certain way, there are no surprises/disappointments. Personally, I think the Accord has grown too big for 4 cylinder engines, which is why there is a V6 option. Back in 92, when I bought my first Accord, there was no V6 option. Of course it was a much smaller car at that time.
  • dlitedlite Posts: 12
    I don't see anything slower than accord I4 in the segment. Even the Camry felt better. V6 is slightly in better shape but its just about average in its class.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    edited June 2010
    These are not sports/luxury sedans, so performance is not their main objective. My 03 V6 has plenty of power for my needs. I drove my niece's 2010 V6 Accord coupe, and it has plenty of get-up-and-go, but performance is relative. Depends what you're comparing it to.
    Hello,

I have one more question on regards of Engine start RPM. I didn't recognize
    it for a long time (my milege is around 12,000 and it's 2009 model). However
    I suddenly found that my Accord LX-P RPM is 1,500 when I start an engine
    in the morning.

Also, I could see it takes more than 1 miutes for the RPM gauge to go down

Is it normal? You guys have the same behavior on your LX-P? Please share
    your advice.
    That's normal for the 2.4L Accord. By running a little high, the engine reaches operating temperature quicker. Lower emissions and better efficiency overall is the outcome.