Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-9 Extended Warranty

Comments

• smvp6459smvp6459 Posts: 4
    I've been hunting around for a 10yr/100k Total Care MEPP for the Mazda 3. Best I'm coming up with is the $0 deductible for 1,400--it's not $1,000 from the mystical Brian, but it's the best I'm finding. Calling the MEPP people directly, they quoted me $1,539, which beats a lot of quotes I got from dealers.

An interesting fact that may or may not be true: The guy who quoted me $1,400 said that on June 1 MEPP is re-categorizing the Mazda3 from Category 1 to Category 2, which will raise the price from $200-400. Given his price quote, I doubt he's BS-ing me, but who knows. I'm not sure if it's all Mazda 3 model years or just the 2010 Mazda 3, but I don't think the underwriting categories distinguish between model years.
  • trparkcitytrparkcity Posts: 4
    if you wouldn't mind emailing me the contact info for the
    $1400. quote, please click on my name to see my email address, and please email me. thanks.
  • alamadeelalamadeel Posts: 6
    Hey Guys,

I just a sport Mazda CX-9, and the dealer offered me extended warranty 6 years/75000 miles for $1495. I have turned it down for now, but it keeps coming back to my head. Any idea if it is a good price ?

I would really appreciate quick response on it. Thanks.
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    First,
    There are several levels of coverages from Mazda ext warranty. The Total Care is the best. Also, the OE warranty covers 3yr/36K bump-to-bump + 5yr/60K for powertrain. Your 6yr/75K basically covers
    1yr/15K on the powertrain
    3yr/39K on other things
    Remember. Ext warranty does not cover bump to bump. Most wear and tear items are NOT covered. You can basically assume it covers about 50% of the repair cost
    on average. Therefore, to me $1495 is NOT cheap at all.

My wife's Prius has Toyota ext warranty (best coverage) for 7yr/70K for $695.
    (7yr/100K for $1000 alternatively)
    Also remember that all hybrid components on Prius are covered by 10yr/150K already... (battery, converter, electric motor, etc.)

To me, ext warranty for CX9 for 7yr/100K for about $1400 would be reasonable.
    Or, 7yr/80K for $1100 if you drive less. But, I haven't found it yet.
  • alamadeelalamadeel Posts: 6
    Thanks Ceric.

The price you mentioned in your post is really hard to get, especially from the dealer I am dealing with.

Anyway, the warranty my dealer is giving me, it is not called MEPP Total Care. I see the name on the brochure as Portfolio New and Premium Vehicle Extended Coverage. Is it something similar to MEPP or completely different? I am sorry I am new to this, I would appreciate any input on this.
    First make sure it is from Mazda, not a third party one.
    Second, you have 3 yr to decide, there is no rush in buying this.
    I will contact him and try to get a 7yr/100K Ext Warranty on my CX9.
    I am sure lots of people appreciate the info.

In the case of Troy, I heard he got many not-so-nice emails/phone calls from his fellow Toyota salesmen around the USA. And, he stands up to all of them.
    Let us hope that Tom can do that w/o fears. :)
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,246
    Please don't post individual's names or phone numbers. Dealer names and links are fine. Thanks.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Ok, so here's the info I can supply. My wife talked to the guy when he called for our credit card number. She explained about Troy in the Toyota warranty world (Troy sold us a 10 yr./100k for her Prius), and he said he's fine with getting referrals. I can't reveal the guy's name, so just let receptionist know you want to buy an extended warranty and she'll transfer you to someone.

Wilkins Mazda Hyundai in Elmhurst, IL
    http://www.wilkinscars.com/

We expect the contract in the mail next week, and I'll post if there's any problem.
    Please post the plan and $$$ you got.
    I found his name on LinkedIn also.
    Send me a LinkedIn mail probably also work.
    edited May 2010
    I have a new 2010 Mazda 3i Touring.

I bought the MEPP TotalCare plan. 120 months / 100k miles. $0 deductible. It cost me $1,399 from the dealership in Illinois. I think the MEPP direct sales people quoted me $1,539 for the same plan (they're still better than many dealerships):

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/QuoteRequestStart.action

The cost of plans vary based on the duration, the deductible, and the type of Mazda you have. Although they don't list the prices, you can look up some information about the different plans here:

http://dealers.mazdausa.com/mepp/mepp_splash.htm
  • wdhytewdhyte Posts: 92
    so why are the prices listed here in the matrix so much higher than what I'm reading in the threads? and when you change the deductible during the 'order' the prices really get wonky. are all these warranties we're talking about in here via the same outfit? genuine/accepted/authorized ford/mazda warranties? really don't want to get a 3rd party coverage and get nasty surprises later on. TIA
    Call the company before you buy. Some warranties for Mazda vehicles cost more. The CX-9's warranties are going to cost more than the Mazda 3's warranty.

Even if it's Mazda's MEPP warranty and the same type of car, prices can vary greatly between dealers. When I called around to dealerships I got prices from $1400 to $2700 for the exact same warranty for a Mazda 3. Dealers seem to be able to sell these warranties for as much markup as they can get away with.
  • car56car56 Posts: 5
    I'm planning to buy 2009 CX-9 from private party. Is 36k/3 years and
    power train warranty is transferable?

Any known issues with 2009 CX-9 I should look for. Thanks in advance.
    Yes.
    OE warranty is transferrable,
    The Dealers' computers show when the vehicle was sold.
    Just make sure it is not a salvage or branded title.
    Spend a $30 on CarFax to make sure of it. Carfax does not show all problems, but at least some that you don't know.

Have a dealer do a complete inspection for $100+.
    Dealer mechanics can give you a report on things they find.

2009 is a very reliable year. 2010 is a MMC (mid model changes) which creates some new issues (power seat draining battery, etc.).
  • wdhytewdhyte Posts: 92
    got an odd piece of junkmail the other day and wondered if anybody else gets this smack? I've never gotten one for my truck(s). It looked all 'official' and told me my warranty was expiring on the 1 year anniversary of our purchase yet I seem to recall (and looking in the owners manual) our warranty on the 09 CX-9 is 3/36 ...am I missing something here or is this just a really blatant attempt by ner-do-wells to get the public to panic and buy *their* version of the extended warranty (and no, it wasn't from the MEPP people http://www.authorizedfordwarranties.com/mazda/index.html or Mazda USA or my dealer or anything that told me it was corporate) ...TIA...Dave
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,899
    Warranty companies buy data from the registry of motor vehicles and send direct mail trying to sell their products.

Nothing to be concerned about.
  • davichodavicho Posts: 190
    I have gotten numerous amounts of this same "Your factory warranty is about to expire..." mail, e-mail, and recorded phone calls. Nothing but a scam. The funny thing is that they kept on sending me mail, email and calling me with this crap and my factory warranty had ran out long, long ago. :P
  • danz75danz75 Posts: 7
    Ceric,
    Did you get the ext warr for your 9?
    No, but I still have about 5 months left to decide....
    My CX9 has been very reliable since the window minor issue.
  • fantfant Posts: 25
    When i bought my 2010 cx9, geico offered me their mechanical breakdown coverage which they say is better than an extended warranty for only $70 / 6 months for 100k/7 year. It seems too good to be true:

Here is some info: http://www.geico.com/getaquote/auto/mechanical-breakdown-insurance/
    and here are the exclusions:

Exclusions to this policy include regular maintenance services such as tune-ups, suspension alignment, wheel balancing, filters, lubrication, coolant and fluids, spark plugs, brake pads and linings, brake shoes, and tires. Also, breakdown repairs made necessary by intentional damage, corrosion, misuse, or improper maintenance are not covered. Mechanical Breakdown Insurance coverage is in excess of coverage provided by your manufacturer's warranty. Read the policy amendment for the complete terms and conditions of this coverage.

Is this too good to be true?
    1) you must have Geico auto insurance
    2) you must buy the MBI before 15K and within 15months of purchase
    These two kills my interests in that. :(

For the (2), I wonder why ... since most new car warranty covers 3yr/36K miles.
    It is designed to make interest from your payment while you have no chance to use the MBI for almost 2 yr and 20K miles. Sounds odd.
    To those of you who are interested, there was a post right before this one (got removed) mentioning about this website
    www.mazda-mepp.com
    I got a quote from them: in my case it is around
    - $1500+ for "extra" 5 yrs "from now", and up to 75K
    - $1900+ for "extra" 5 yrs "from now", and up to 100K
    (the quote depends on your current mileages and duration to 3yr OE warranty expiration date)

He (can't mention the name here) says this is a web site from Mazda corporate.
    However, the deals are decent only, not very outstanding if you ask me.
    Just FYI.
    For that kind of money, I will probably take my chances unless I could find a better deal. My CX9 has been reliable.
    Yah basically you are paying $1500 for warranty from 36k-75k (39k miles) or $1900 for warranty from 36k-100k (64k miles). I would probably save the money and take the chance. How many repairs are more than $2000?
    edited September 2010
    > How many repairs are more than $2000?

Let me try...
    1) transmission
    2) transfer case (AWD)
    3) ABS module
    4) GPS-NAVI unit
    5) drive shaft (AWD)
    6) engine

And, I agree. $1900 is too much for me. I would have taken the deal for $1200.
    :P

Forgot to mention that the quotes also depend on your model. My numbers were for GT AWD.
    Isnt 1,2,5, and 6 covered under the powertrain warranty which is 5YR/60K ?
    edited September 2010
    Correct.
    It makes ext warranty seem even more expensive, doesn't it?
    :mad:
  • how do I know this is a real and valid site and not a scam? thnx, dogdoc
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,788
    That post is over two years old... but, the website looks to be from a new car dealer that sells the Ford Warranty.... They have their name and address on the website... shouldn't be too hard to check out..

Just my $0.02
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Check out the
    mazda-mepp.com
    They sell the genuine Mazda ext warranty.
    Best price? Don't know.