Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Outlander vs. Subaru Forester

Comments

• p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Globally Mitsubishi still sells twice more cars then Subaru

That may be true but is little to comfort to someone who buys a Mitsubishi product only to see them abandon the North American market. I'm not saying that's a given but if they don't improve sales volume, at some point Mitsubishi is going to make the business decision to stop hemorrhaging money.

Meanwhile five years from now, Subaru of America will almost certainly still be selling proven, effective and reliable technology like boxer engines and symmetrical AWD ;)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    They also called S-AWC "Japanese hyperbole" and said it only operates on the front axle.

Look under "C/D TEST RESULTS" and you'll note the Forester won 6 out of the 7 in C&D as well.

That's 3 out of 4 on Edmunds, 7 out of 7 on Motor Trend, and 6 out of 7 in C&D.

Maybe S-AWC stands for Subaru Always Wins Comparisons. :P
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Otherwise these tests are too close. “Trap speed” 89.0mph vs. 88.7mph ? Common, big deal! Like I’ve said the other test shows better Outlander lateral grip of 0.81g vs. Forester’s - "it managed a whopping 0.78g"

Huh? How can you argue that 3 tenths of a mph is too close to claim one is better but in the next sentence trumpet the Outlander as having better lateral grip when the difference is only 3 hundredths of a g? And you have to cherry-pick results from different reviews to obtain even that marginal advantage.
    Read up one post - the Forester won 6 out of 7 performance results in C&D.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    They also called S-AWC "Japanese hyperbole" and said it only operates on the front axle.

You changed that from "implied" to "said" just as I was posting this:

"That last bit is Japanese hyperbole for an electronic front differential that senses driver inputs, vehicle attitude, and wheel slip to vary engine torque to either of the front wheels with an electronically controlled clutch pack."

You're fast! :P

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Well, the quote's right there, they wrote it, I suppose.

They more than implied it, hence the edit.
    Don't forget to ask him if his Mercedes ML has a leather-wrapped dash, since he makes it sound so important. After all, his Benz cost even more than yours did.

The leather *IS* nice, but the GT is supposed to compete in a higher price level, and they didn't upgrade the rest of the interior. You won't find headliners that visibly flex like this in a Benz:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/past-road-test/small-suvs/videos-small-s- uvs/small-suvs-videos.htm

Go to 1:18 in that review and you'll see this (it's worse than it looks, actually):

They wrote "the headliner is this really thin and flimsy material covered in a sort of mouse fur".

The Forester's is also covered in mouse fur, but at least it's rigid.

Neither of these are comparable to what you'd get in a Benz, no way no how.

If your budget is $30 grand plus, at least an Outback gets you a padded, fabric covered headliner and sunshade, similar to what an entry-level Benz would have.
  • >> This is a GT, so perhaps they should have done more - delete the 3rd row, bigger brakes, lowered suspension?

Didn't you criticize lowered suspension? Brembu brakes like in prototype would be nice but price would go up.

>> Both lose space for the moonroof and that subwoofer takes up another 2.8 cubic feet as well.

Real subwoofer takes real space. I would rather keep real sub vs. some toy, some "Chinese hyperbole" . The panorama moonroof on Forester takes even more of space but it was a good move.
  • >> If the slalom incorporates more performance areas than the skidpad, then the Figure 8 incorporate more than the slalom - like braking and acceleration.

I did not say it incorporates more performance, but it incorporates more handling. 'Performance' is to vague. It includes tow capacity and payload capacity for instance.
  • >> Subaru thanks Mitsu for the TD04 turbo but we still hope the Sports XT gets the same major upgrades that the WRX recently got from IHI, notably this:
    That's a VF52, not supplied by Mitsu.

Subaru still incapable building their own turbochargers. IHI is Japanese company but it contracted China First Automobile Group to build turbocharges in China. So going from EVO class turbocharger to some Chinese turbocharger is a downgrade. After 3/4 billion dollar loss Subaru going after cheaper suppliers. Another downgrade is drop of Limited Sl. Differential on Forester. Subaru downgrades while Mitsu upgrades.
  • >> How could you know that if the year hasn't ended?

I would ask you the same question in reference to your 2009 Mitsu sales report.
  • >> Huh? How can you argue that 3 tenths of a mph is too close to claim one is better but in the next sentence trumpet the Outlander as having better lateral grip when the difference is only 3 hundredths of a g? And you have to cherry-pick results from different reviews to obtain even that marginal advantage.

No, I am saying the same you are saying: these differences are too marginal, within margin of error so I give example that marginal could go either way, especially limited by stability controls.

However there are much more obvious differences: acceleration test, slalom handling, tow capacity, payload capacity, AWD system, Nav system, interior quality, audio system, Xenons/LED, FAST Key, transmission, warranty, premium moon roof, etc.
  • >>They also called S-AWC "Japanese hyperbole"

Perhaps they have not done slalom test or walk on ice test. The autoblog.com says this:
    “we turn onto the most excellent, snaking Highway 74 and, well, we just weren't prepared for what happened next. Because by all accounts, it shouldn't have. In tall, top heavy crossovers, you expect a certain amount of understeer, reluctance and general fuddy-duddiness (it's a technical term – look it up) whenever you turn the wheel in anger. Not so with the Outlander GT – it simply glides through corners. The damping and vehicle control are also quite above par, as the expected body motions and stomach turning leaning tower of truck we've come to know and dread in sporty CUVs played hooky. High center of gravity, what high center of gravity? It's not just that the Outlander's smooth in the bends, but it's quick too. Honestly shockingly so. It's now 24 hours later and we're still surprised just how fast we were able to muscle the car around corners.”

>> and said it only operates on the front axle.

They did not say that. It's your own interpretation, you use the same "deductive" method which brought you to "Borg Warner" conclusion :-)
  • >> The leather *IS* nice, but the GT is supposed to compete in a higher price level, and they didn't upgrade the rest of the interior.

What “higher price level”? Is it "hyperbola"? It’s $29K car. It’s way over-equipped for the price.

>> They wrote "the headliner is this really thin and flimsy material covered in a sort of mouse fur".

First, it is not a GT on that video, it's some 4 banger. Second. This expert does not know what he is talking about, I guess “mouse fur" is another "hyperbola". That Outlander “mouse fur" headliner is special odor absorbing fabric so the car always smells inside neutral fresh and it works. You are right, my Benz does not have that :( ...It also handles worse then Toyota.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    it incorporates more handling. 'Performance' is to vague.

Both terms might be regarded as too vague. "Handling" could also include how well it handles towing or load for example. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,232
    We're shooting for a Wednesday test drive of the GT.

Deferred until Saturday. We had errands to run and the sales guy got off at 5. He was willing to stay & wait for us but since we weren't buying last night I didn't feel good about taking him away from his family for a couple of hours.
    there are much more obvious differences: acceleration test...

Some in favor of the Forester, we should note.
    It was quoted, so I'm not sure why it's not clear:

That last bit is Japanese hyperbole for an electronic front differential that senses driver inputs, vehicle attitude, and wheel slip to vary engine torque to either of the front wheels with an electronically controlled clutch pack

Send feedback to editors@caranddriver.com.
    The proper spelling is "hyperbole".

The headliner material is the same, and wasn't upgraded. At least in the GT I sat in. Have you even sat in one? You should go look at one considering how much you talk about it.

special odor absorbing fabric

That ranks right up there with the green HIDs you mentioned earlier. Whatever floats your boat.

my Benz does not have that ...It also handles worse then Toyota.

:confuse:
    Carscoop: "The S-AWC system uses an active front limited-slip differential"

The Auto Channel: "Active Front Differential (Afd) Front Limited Slip Differential"

The Car Connection: "an Active Front Differential and electronically controlled center diff"

And just in case anyone still has any doubt whatsoever, you can read about it on Mitsubishi's own web site.

So the torque vectoring only applies to the front axle, like that Prelude SH you dissed a day or two ago.