Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Outlander vs. Subaru Forester

Comments

• comem47comem47 Posts: 395
    It does appear that Subaru is learning. From what I see the Outback has grown in size from the time of my searching in 2007and the 6 runs on regular. Previously what got me most on Subies was their smaller size. Having been the full size SUV route, that is clearly out too (too big and thirsty) but the CUV market is more reasonable and I'm glad Subie has up-sized from their older self. Also at the time of my search they were clearly a more expensive vehicle while being smaller. But hey, I see GM is learning lessons too with their completely different Equinox (in 2007 I ran away from what was wrong there). Who knows what the CUV market will be like in 2017 when I might be looking again, if the comet or depression don't get us first. ;)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The EZ30 was like the current 230hp Outlander - premium recommended, but not required. You lost several horsepower, of course, but Subaru said 87 octane was OK.

The EZ36 (used currently) only added 6hp, but has a lot more torque, plus it's tuned for 87 octane, so they dropped the premium recommendation. It's a much better engine now.

Outback sales are up more than 100% from the year prior for 3 months in a row. SIA is running triple shifts, 24 hours a day, and they still cannot keep up with demand. It's a certified hit.

Right now SIA is using their 2nd line to build Camrys. I would not be surprised if they bump Toyota and use both to build Legacys and Outbacks, to help them meet demand.

That 2nd line was originally intended for the Tribeca, but a tiny 3rd row that's not protected by airbags, a premium fuel recommendation, and upscale prices that didn't mesh with the brand limited sales.

Unfortunately, Mitsu may have repeated the same mistake.
  • piastpiast Posts: 269
    edited March 2010
    "Mitsubishi owners are SPECIAL, and our membership is EXCLUSIVE! "

You are actually right on this one. Driving Outlander feels like wearing Bulova watch, when everybody else has Citizens (CRV), Seikos (RAV4), or Casio (Santa Fe).
    edited March 2010
    "If the Outlander's AWD system is so much better, why did Autoblog get stuck in the sand? Isn't that the ultimate failure? Given Mitsubishi's Dakar heritage that's embarassing. "
    No, and no. It is not the AWD system, but crappy stock all season street GoodYear Eagle rubber to blame. Many owners dump them just past 20K miles. I was driving on those tires last 3 Chicago area winters without any drama, but their wet and snow ratings at Tirerack are pretty low. So if not for excellent AWD system in XLS, I would probably had my car repaired by now. I'm planing to replace them by next winter with highly rated set for winter driving. As you know FWD car with winter tires can perform better in snow that most AWD cars with all season sets.
    edited March 2010
    For me it was unique rear door (excellent for loading or putting your ski gear on), keyless entry and start, V6 / 6 speed combination, Bluetooth, and 10 year powertrain warranty.
    Forester wasn't even a competition back in 2007. It is much better now, but still on the plain Jane side IMO.
  • I notice some new posts for the 2010 Forester. Same complaints about rattles. When will Subaru get the message and fix this problem? I like the Forester but would be reluctant to buy when so many reviews mention this issur
    It's raining so last night I remembered another little thing - when you have the rear wiper in intermittent mode and put it in reverse, the wiper speeds up. All vehicles should have that feature. :shades:
    edited March 2010
    I'm not sure about the integrity of that information when the reviewer gives the interior a 3 out of 10. Looks suspicious to say the least.

Note also the names of the 3 worst scores - none of those have posted in the Forester threads even once. Hit and run from non-active members. I wonder if they even own a 2010 Forester.

In comparison I recognize your name right away.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,253
    I had Eagle LS tires on my old Galant and yeah, they really aren't any good in inclement weather. The odds of spinning while taking off from a light are too high even under just moderate acceleration.

I dumped them for TripleTred Assurance (also from GoodYear) and had noticeably better wet and snow traction. The TripleTred do have slightly more road noise but the added traction more than makes up for it.
    I have an Outlander but prefer Citizen Eco-Drive watches. ;) I'm eyeing the Skyhawk A-T for my birthday this summer.
    edited March 2010
    Why would that matter in sand, though?

In sand you want wide tires for floatation, and light weight. Plus ground clearance.

What hurts the Outlander on sand is not the tires, it's the extra poundage.

I drove my 98 Forester past an HD pickup diesel who was stuck, that thing must've weight 3 tons. My Forester was 3120 lbs and I had upgraded to 225mm wide tires (stock was 205 at the time).
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    This goes perfectly with my vehicle.
  • I agree some of these posts might be are anti-Subaru people. What is the best way to contact Subaru of America to ask a question?
    I stopped wearing a watch entirely. I use my BlackBerry, with the full Calendar function.
    By phone 800-SUBARU3.

On the web use this form:

https://www.subaru.com/shopping-tools/contact-us.html
    I also have a BlackBerry (who doesn't?), but I like the elegance and grace of a nice watch.
    Just like there could be anti-Subaru people the Outlander reviews could be false as well. That is why it's important to do your own research and form your own conclusions. I like talking face to face to current owners to solicit an opinion along with test drives.

I tend not to use reliability ratings because they are meaningless for my upcoming car experience.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,990
    Driving Outlander feels like wearing Bulova watch,

That's a hoot. Stolen. :)

Watch this - My car runs like a ______

(I got dibs on Timex).

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Did you ever see Jeep crawling rocks with street sleeks on it? According to you tire choice does not matter in sand or snow? It makes huge difference. It is called traction.
    Agreed. I use a Palm Pre and as with any cell phone it's clock is perfectly serviceable. But a nice watch like the one you linked serves as jewelry, a fashion accessory, and/or a statement piece about the person. Not to mention I keep the Pre in either my pocket or in a case on my hip and it's more effort to pull it out than to simply glance at my wrist. Especially while driving. (There, did that manage to keep this mildly on-topic?)
    Re: Timex. Back in the 70s when I was around 10 or 12 I had a Timex. Well, one day our cat decided to give it a bath so it literally took a licking and yes, it kept on ticking.
    They were out in soft sand (note the pics).

It's all about floatation, airing down, smooth inputs, and don't stop on soft sand else you'll sink.

Weight was a handicap.
    Prior to my BlackBerry, mine was obvious:

• Wow, now that's predetermination. You had no choice BUT to by a Forester!

In fact, your zeal was so great, you completely blew out the Reply link (at least on my Mac/Firefox).
  • comem47comem47 Posts: 395
    edited March 2010
    I blew out the page formatting in another forum a few weeks back. I asked the admin of that forum to remove the picture link I included, but he never has. (picture too wide for the web page)
    Sorry. It got a little excited that they're still sold. :D

I had a green one way back when...
    edited March 2010
    Here's one for gadget lovers who buy loaded Outlanders (fushigi I mean you):

That's got a phone built-in, plus it looks like some apps. A bit on the bulky side, though.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    LoL! You beat me to it. I was just doing the same search. Fair and balanced, you know. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    This is for you. I'm surprised you don't already have one.
    I've seen those but am totally uninterested in them. They remind me of the red LED watches from the 70s.

The watch I linked to actually has more gizmos than I want this time around. But it has a backlight which I find useful and I like the Eco Drive. I also don't have good luck with leather bands lasting and have a couple of watches with gold bands already so the metal is appealing. Just saw it the other day at our jeweler and liked it.

I only buy watches with an analog face. A digital inset is OK, but I prefer analog where possible. I work on computers all day long so I like the change they offer. ANd on the analog face it must have hash marks for each hour (eliminating brands like Movado).

My current nicest watch (I have 5 ..) does some neat power conservation tricks. For instance, since it's an Eco Drive it's solar. So it knows when it's light or dark. When dark, it stops moving the second hand to save power. When exposed to light the second hand rushes around to wherever it needs to be.

And yes, none of this has anything to do with either the Outlander or the Forester. I guess we should get back to the topic at hand.
This discussion has been closed.