Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Outlander vs. Subaru Forester

1727374757678»

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    edited April 2010
    You can use an outboard BT system like the one in a handheld GPS but it lacks integration. An incoming call won't pause or mute the stereo (and resume when done).

True, but the Forester has a mute button right on the steering wheel, so no hunting. Plus now you can get Bluetooth on every single model, so it's a non-issue.

If you get a RAV4, though, beware - my Sienna does NOT have a mute button on the steering wheel (is the RAV4 the same way?), so in the Toyota fushigi's concern applies. You gotta hit Volume Down, down, down, down, down on the steering wheel controls, then up, up, up, up, up when the call is complete.

Spend 25 cents on a mute button, Toyota, sheesh! :sick:
  • The Outlander sunroof is definitely deeper than 11.5", more like 14" which is more than enough for a driver and passenger, which is most often is the case for us. Sure, a deeper sunroof would be nice, but not terribly necessary and probably more to leak!

I don't think BT would be near as useful if you had to mess with mutes or volumes. Sort of detracts from the whole "hands free" thingy.
    edited April 2010
    I measured the transparent part of the glass, the visible portion is 11.5" long. Forester's is 26".

I could not measure the size when opened because it was a pre-production model and they would not let test drive it, so no keys.

Your hands are on the wheel, and the mute button is right there. You only have to move your thumb, no big deal.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,217
    I like to use the sunroof for venting and am not sure I'd actually like having one so long. But I can certainly see where some would prefer it.

Having a mute button is an adequate compromise though I still prefer the integration as in my admittedly limited experience the speakers on the portable GPS' don't go load enough in phone mode & the mics don't have adequate noise cancellation. I also like that the Outlander's nav screen displays the cell signal strength & battery meter.

As to headsets/over-the-ear BT receivers, I get annoyed at anything on/in my ear so they aren't tolerable for anything but short trips. Also, back in the '70s when Walkmen were gaining in popularity we were told - and in some places laws were enacted - to not wear headphones as they reduce/block our ability to hear emergency vehicles.
    Personally, I'll happily trade-off integration for 90% lower cost, current maps, portability (car to car, travel, on foot, etc), text-to-speech, and custom POI database ability (warns me about speed traps).

The OP mentioned he wanted Bluetooth for phone integration and all Foresters offer that now, so I don't see any issue whatsoever for him.

For me, the Garmin works well except with the top down, then I have to use a headset (I usually only use my right ear). I'm not sure if Mazda offered Bluetooth how well that would work, as the mic would pick up wind noise.

In a closed car it works fine. I use vent mounts which bring the GPS closer to me (for reach to the touch-screen and speaker/mic proximity).

I had a loaner Tribeca and honestly the long reach to the GPS touch screen was a bigger issue to me.
  • Just looked at our Outlander sunroof. While the outer measure is about 14", the fully opened measure is about 12", which is still perfectly fine. I know some don't care about tilt, but I like the option. if anything, it helps with buffeting if you just want to crack a single window.

I had an opportunity to compare our leather seats vs. Benz leather. While the Benz leather had a slightly better tactile feel, I found seat comfort to be better on the Outlander. Mitsubishi is well-known for their seats.

Where I didn't care about FASTkey when we first got the car, I've grown to really enjoy the convenience. Only thing better might be push button start, but I like the physical key option if FASTkey batteries die.

Gas mileage is getting incrementally better, but this aspect has been the biggest disappointment. But I really should not complain since we knew what we were getting into, with a larger vehicle, 6 cylinders and all-whatever drive.
    We put a moonroof in our Legacy (aftermarket), and it was 17"x30", so that's still kind of small.

The Forester's moonroof is enormous. Motorweek said it was "Big as the Texas Sky".

Room for the whole family:

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

It's like getting double - front and rear seat passengers can enjoy it.
  • authurdentauthurdent Posts: 82
    edited April 2010
    Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Elaine can't stand "The English Patient," so instead sees "Sack Lunch!"

There aren't many cars with that big a sunroof. Wonder if it effects body rigidity?
    Nope, just look at the crash tests (including roof crush resistance)...
    Nope, just look at the crash tests (including roof crush resistance)...

Good point. Subaru has done quite well with IIHS tests for years. Mitsubishi has gotten considerably better, as have most cars. We were very fortunate not to suffer any major scraps in our Colt or Mirage, since both by today's standards would be considered death traps!

In other news, I finally messed around with the Outlander paddle shifters. Not quite as much fun as a meaty clutch, but not bad. I imagine I'll let the AT do much of the work much of the time.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,217
    I haven't had a car with a MT as my daily driver since '93 but I still find myself resting my hand on the gear shift. For my past couple of cars that's been insignificant but now I could, if desired, use it or the paddle shifters to force up or, more likely, down shifts.

I've done some downshifting ahead of passing maneuvers a couple of times and have used it when I wanted to engine-brake to slow down without brake lights coming on *cough* cop car ahead *cough*. But for the most part I just let the AT do it's job.
    There has never been a time where I haven't had a true manual in my driveway. :shades:

Having said that, I'm fortunate enough to have more than one car.
    edited May 2010
    I had blissfully ignored the ominous clouds, and jabbed my finger at the button, springing the sunroof tilt-ward. The gentile combination of windless transport and the secret language of birds, who knew this was the harkening of events yet to transpire.

Standing in the bagel shop line, distracted by the heady smells of fresh baked circles of dough, that's when the deluge happened. Setting aside my paper bag, I bolted for the parking lot, to save leather seats and threat of festering musts and molds.

Much relief, as the tilted portal to the sky allowed very little liquid sunshine to invade the sanctity of the crispy dry interior. De-tilted and unfettered, I returned home, safe in the celebration of the joys of tilts and birds and bagels.

(as I understand, the Forester sunroof doesn't tilt)
    Correct. It opens to different spots depending on how many times you hit the button.

Leave it open in a deluge and you'll have a mobile swimming pool. :D