Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Fiesta

Comments

• iamziamz Posts: 542
    edited May 2010
    Actually, the whole "soft touch" dashboard has me laughing. I can't figure out why a dashboard being soft is desirable. It's not safety related because that's why we have seatbelts and air bags. The only time I ever touch my dash is when I'm cleaning it. My P5 has a "hard touch" dash and it looks great. No need to touch it. :P

I'm going to make a center armrest for my Fiesta. Just enough to rest my elbow on. That's where "soft touch" is nice - on the armrests.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    It's probably for: 1) appearance (soft touch plastic usually looks better than hard, although carmakers are getting better on that), and 2) soft touch tends to scratch less easily (some hard-touch plastics in cars are notorious for showing scratches).
  • "I didn't mean to slight you in the least. I also don't think you are in the majority; looking in aggregate, I don't think there is a lot of demand for the manual and a younger, technology driven demographic seems to like the DSG."

A majority of people I know in the 23-30 age group know how to drive a manual transmission. This group of people represents many lifestyles of friends, family, co-workers, and acquaintances. Knowing how to drive a manual is still regarded as an important driving skill. However, only a small percentage prefer a manual. Not everyone cares about that flexibility it offers. This regard or disregard to a manual transmission is true across many age groups, looking in aggregate. Enjoying convenience is not the same as being lazy or inept (which you implied by the "PS2 generation" reference previously). I do not feel slighted at all since you don't personally know me, but I do feel that you're making untrue assumptions. I hope my testimony and clarifications here help rectify the issue.

As for arm rests and soft touch dashboards: I've never had a car with front seat arm rests, but I've only had cars in the below $20,000 range. For me it's not really a selling point. I think that lower priced cars don't bother with that sort of thing and it could be a space saver. The soft touch dash is a little pointless, but backy makes a good point about the scratch tolerance.
  • phill1phill1 Posts: 315
    I agree, I did`nt claim either of those issue I commented on were "deal breakers". I have ordered my Fiesta 5 door hatchback SE back in Mar and await its arrival. Needless to say, both of those items could be addressed quickly and rather painlessly without making it a 2012 model year upgrade.
  • audreyalityaudreyality Posts: 8
    edited May 2010
    OEM QUALITY ARMREST ACCESSORY FOR 2011 FORD FIESTA

"Specialty automotive accessory manufacturer Boomerang Enterprises, Inc, has developed and launched a premium armrest accessory for the North American version of the Ford Fiesta that seamlessly integrates to the vehicle’s interior."

I am not interested in this, but I've seen the demand for it here.
  • rebel71rebel71 Posts: 87
    I'm wondering when the Fiesta is coming out? Does anyone have concerns about production issues regarding first year model car? The other thing I'm not sure of is the rear drum brakes. I had them on a previous vehicle and wasn't impressed w/ braking performance. Would this be a deal breaker for anyone? I'm a bit spoiled since having four wheel disc. I like all the other things about it though and seems Ford spent a lot of time on design and performance. Hmm... a lot to think about.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,747
    They should start showing up any day now. Don't worry about the drum brakes - they won't affect stopping power on such a small econobox. Most of the stopping is done with the fronts anyway. And they've been building the Fiesta overseas for at least a year. Ford has had a few engineering issues with new models but they've been diligent about fixing them and none are long term issues, just a minor inconvenience. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new Fiesta.
    I agree, with a light weight vehicle like the Fiesta, rear drum brakes will be more then adequate. I just replaced front disk pads on my 06` Kia Rio5 SX 5 door hatchback, a similar size vehicle with 54K mileage and there was still pad life left. Rear brakes shoes had 50% material still remaining. When will they start production of the ordered Fiesta`s with the Power Moon Roof? July or August?
    I saw some people with moonroofs had their cars scheduled for build late in June. Expect a July delivery based on that. On a personal note, I just found out my Fiesta is coming down the assembly line at this very moment. :)
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,048
    I do not feel slighted at all since you don't personally know me, but I do feel that you're making untrue assumptions. I hope my testimony and clarifications here help rectify the issue.

You really just need to get over it. You probably run with a lot of "gearheads" and I don't mean that derogatorily. I look at all the younger generation(s) in my family and the vast majority of boys and girls don't know how to drive a stick. The few that do would say the same thing you're saying, "all my friends know how to drive a stick". But that is based on a very small sample. Since only about 10%(WAG) of cars sold in the US are stick just where do you think all these youngin's even find one to learn on?
    I just called my car salesman who I ordered my Fiesta SE hatchback on Mar.04, (with) the Power Moon Roof option and he checked the dealers recent DORA report of ordered cars and their build status and my vehicle shows no updated information of either vin# or production date yet. He told me that delivery might be late August or even Sept. He promised to call me immediately as soon as the dealers DORA report confirms my vehicles "born on date". I`m good with the delay, hopefully some of the early production glitches and equipment changes will have been resolved by then and earlier reports of bad orange peel paint finishes will have been corrected too.
    Tks. Lower % than I even thought. I would actually be driving a stick in one of my vehicles if my wife would just learn to drive one. She absolutely refuses and doesn't want a car in the family she can't drive even if she would only drive it once in a blue moon.
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,738
    edited May 2010
    Buy it anyways. Look, her mother probably knows how to drive stick, and her grandmother does/did as well, since that's what was required back then. She's just being lazy and stubborn. Doubly so if it's 95% your car.
  • I actually learned to drive on a stick because my mom wanted me to know how so that I would understand the choice/difference. I don't hang out with people who modify cars or repair them regularly. I am more of a home body than that. I think making assumptions and judgments should be left to marketers. This forum is for questions and responses not categorizing each other.

I'm buying an automatic because it gets better gas mileage than the manual. I do know how to drive a stick, but I don't drive it to optimize my fuel economy.
    Good for you and I'm sure there are many, many more like you but that would be an assumption, sorry. But just to let you know, these forums are for more than just questions and direct responses to those questions. People are also allowed to have opinions and state them as they please as long as they are not derogatory towards an individual. If you don't agree with somebody's opinion, say so. Just don't tell others what they can or cannot say in these forums. We have Hosts for that job.
  • wdaveo1wdaveo1 Posts: 34
    I noticed that someone posted a consumer review for the Fiesta. It is not a good review. Any thoughts on this? Have any dealers actually even gotten any cars in yet?
  • alltorquealltorque Posts: 535
    edited May 2010
    One review does not a car make, or break. Fiesta is very well liked here in Europe and hopefully the USA model will be just as successful, i.e. good.

Reviews are merely an individual's subjective report. Read them by all means, but only as a means of picking up comments on things to look for that are important to you personally. The only way to decide is to drive it yourself and be as objective as possible. But you already know that.

My review of the old Ferrari Testarossa would make depressing reading, (I drove one for 6 laps of a race circuit). I climbed in prepared for the experience of a lifetime and climbed out bitterly disappointed and cured of Ferraris for life. Other folks drove the same car and came away close to orgasmic. That's life. A Lotus Elise on the other hand..................OMG ! :)

ETA : Just read the review in question. Sounds like a Friday Afternoon Car that hadn't been PDI'd properly by the dealer. Hopefully that isn't going to be typical. The most damning comment was that he wished he'd bought a Dodge Caliber instead. We get those in Europe and the only positive attribute they seem to have is that they're relatively cheap for their size. Just about everything else is dire, it seems. Fiesta is, (over here), in a completely different league. Hopefully yours will be.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 6,092
    He couldn't have REALLY meant he should have bought a Caliber. I had one of those as a rental for a week in LA and it was simply impossible to see out of in a LOT of directions.

I'm sure it was just a bit of hyperbole resulting from his disappointment ;)

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Well, I can tell you this, no cars for retail sale have been shipped from the plant in Mexico. Any cars that are at dealers currently are training cars only and will never be for sale. The guy is a liar. Don't know what his motives are.
    You really have to take the reviews to the right on this page with a grain of salt. I've rarely met someone that wasn't pleased as punch the first few weeks of ownership of a new car and that is when most of these reviews are posted. On the other hand, you may have someone with an ulterior motive which it appears this one review may be.

I read them when I'm interested in a car but only to find common complaints. Then when I test drive I look at these closely to see if I can live with them. Otherwise, I don't put much stock in them.
    Yep. That's good advise for everyone to follow. Anyway, hopefully over time, the real consumer reviews will outnumber the fake reviews.
  • nozferatnozferat Posts: 11
    By the way, while this car improves mileage over all of the other POS products Ford makes, how does buying this car help at all the problem we have in this country and world of addiction to oil?

If it isn't a better time to highlight it, the entire Gulf Coast is in the process of being FUBARed yet no one around here seems to give a rat's [non-permissible content removed].

An no, 40 MPG in this day and age is no breakthrough and won't make a damn's worth if a dent in the problem we have.

Pretty sad and pathetic folks.
    edited May 2010
    Hmmmmm,....got a few question for ya. Do you own a car or truck or motorcycle? Do you ever ride in a car or a bus? Do you own anything that was transported by a truck or plane or a ship. How about the computer you are using right now,...was it shipped from overseas? I could go on and on but you're not worth any more of time.

See ya! ;)
    That's the most retarded argument....

Yes I ride a bus...etc....but instead of driving everyday to work, I bike once in a while, I take the bus most of the time....

Does that mean that you need to waste or not find other ways of using energy? WTF is wrong with you?

We have available technologies NOW to produce safe, clean energy in our own country....would you prefer we keep sending money and people overseas and have endless wars and destroy countries? Sound like a better plan to you?
    You're funny. :D I sense you have anger issues.
    I think you want the Hummer forum.
    LOL...I sense you're an idiot.
  • craigmricraigmri Posts: 243
    nozferat, This is a Fiesta forum. Take your political rants and insults to other posters somewhere else.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 6,092
    Let's drop the personal commentary and stick the discussion the Fiesta please.

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews